• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Results Are In: Wonderlic Scores for FF Posters

Started by RGP, May 08, 2011, 06:33:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redwolf143

Quote from: RGP on May 26, 2011, 02:44:58 pm
Quote from: fastdrop on May 26, 2011, 05:58:55 am
Since this has turned into a my college is better than your college or my act is better than your act or my daddy can beat up your daddy thread.......

My DD is 20 ... I made her travel with me this week as I do lowly sales calls.... I know .. I know.. not quite up there with all the brain surgeans or potential brain sugeans that post on this board... during one of my appointments outside the fine city of Fort Smith she had the pleasure of meeting the President of the company and after he talked with her for about 30 minuits offered her a job starting off at 60 grand a year... and dang it she has attended UAFS and owes nearly nada for ger 2 years of growing up away from home.

Now she has a decision to make..... The USA is full of college educated folks that want to sit on thier butts but everywhere I have traveled the last few months business is looking for folks that will actually work.

sorry to derail the I am better than you thread.... have back at it.
You raise some very good points.

I read an article a few weeks back about the decreasing value of certain college educations. The author argued that being in a band or traveling on your own dime for a few years would prove much more "educational" than playing beer pong four nights a week and sitting on the couch in your dorm watching tv the other three days. If you work hard, build/have connections, and improve your character, I think that those things can be much more important than where you went to college or what you scored on a test.

Oh, and congrats on your daughter's job opp.

That is very true, although there is another side to it, coming with a college education is the establishment of connections with alumni an professors who recommend you to their connections if you show yourself worthy. And showing yourself worthy is the key in both of these cases.  In fact I'd say it's a big key to life;  if you show you are competent, and can help someone secure their goals, thus getting them to invest in you (literally or figuratively), you will also move further towards your own goals.  It doesn't matter how well educated you are if you are a douchebag, and it doesn't matter how little education you have if you have work ethic and drive.

True Fan

Quote from: johnharrison on May 25, 2011, 06:00:16 pm

I'm pretty sure Harvard doesn't offer scholarships.

When you have 5000 uber qualified applicants, what would make one worth $40,000 more than the next?  Nothing.  If one turns it down, the next accepts.  Makes it very tough to recruit athletes (so they don't have any! LOL)

HOWEVER, Harvard does offer "need based financial aid" and it can be very generous.

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/financial_aid/index.html

Wahls

Quote from: redwolf143 on May 26, 2011, 02:59:59 pm
In fact I'd say it's a big key to life;  if you show you are competent, and can help someone secure their goals, thus getting them to invest in you (literally or figuratively), you will also move further towards your own goals.

I think you should write a book.

Hoghead

A college degree and education is a valued commodity. However I know of a lot people who work at the Paper Mill, Post Office, Firestone and Tysons who make more money with no degree. I also know people with degrees who work those same jobs and their degree is no more than a hood ointiment.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Hoghead on May 27, 2011, 12:42:35 am
A college degree and education is a valued commodity. However I know of a lot people who work at the Paper Mill, Post Office, Firestone and Tysons who make more money with no degree. I also know people with degrees who work those same jobs and their degree is no more than a hood ointiment.
I also know folks with degrees drawing food stamps.

fastdrop

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on May 27, 2011, 08:00:12 am
I also know a young lady that just finished 4 years at the U of A in an attempt to become a speech pathologist that has not been able to get into the Speech path program. She fullfilled the requirements she was asked to do by the U of A ... not great grades so she has not been accepted....therefore she has nuttin but the loans she took out.

These colleges have become worse than any vampire you would every meet ... most of them are blood suckers and understand they can get anybody money if they want to go to college. They are as bad as the mortgage companies were when they were giving out loans to garbage men to buy $250,000 houses.... nothing against being a garbage man .... just making a point.

I was talking to a 65 year old couple who had moved into the commons on the UAFS Campus and had started school.... they said they could do it for free....much better than a retirement home.

True Believer

Quote from: ricepig on May 26, 2011, 08:29:22 am
They had better hurry, we might not have room for any more new stores. The Craighead County Fair Board is selling their 80 acres across from the mall and it's going quick. We've got a Cheddars, Texas Roadhouse, and supposedly a Hooter's coming soon. I'd hate to sell kitchen appliances in Jonesboro, nobody eats at home, haha.

Nobody eats at home is right.  Plus you have all the people who come to Jboro from all the small towns around it.  I went to Red Lobster and I had to fight my way to get in.  Jonesboro is a very nice city.  I hope it stays that way. 

What's a Cheddar?   Never heard of it?

redwolf143

Quote from: True Believer on May 27, 2011, 09:41:23 am
They had better hurry, we might not have room for any more new stores. The Craighead County Fair Board is selling their 80 acres across from the mall and it's going quick. We've got a Cheddars, Texas Roadhouse, and supposedly a Hooter's coming soon. I'd hate to sell kitchen appliances in Jonesboro, nobody eats at home, haha.

Nobody eats at home is right.  Plus you have all the people who come to Jboro from all the small towns around it.  I went to Red Lobster and I had to fight my way to get in.  Jonesboro is a very nice city.  I hope it stays that way. 

Cheddars is a decent Applebees/Chilli's type restaurant I've only seen them in  Texas and Missouri thus far.  Hated the one in Joplin, loved the one just off Ft. Hood.

True Believer

Ok, thanks.   I love Chili's but not a big Applebee's fan.   I will try it out. 

redwolf143

Quote from: True Believer on May 27, 2011, 09:59:28 am
Ok, thanks.   I love Chili's but not a big Applebee's fan.   I will try it out.
It's definitely better than Applebees

BillyJack™

Quote from: fastdrop on May 27, 2011, 08:23:57 am
I also know a young lady that just finished 4 years at the U of A in an attempt to become a speech pathologist that has not been able to get into the Speech path program. She fullfilled the requirements she was asked to do by the U of A ... not great grades so she has not been accepted....therefore she has nuttin but the loans she took out.

These colleges have become worse than any vampire you would every meet ... most of them are blood suckers and understand they can get anybody money if they want to go to college. They are as bad as the mortgage companies were when they were giving out loans to garbage men to buy $250,000 houses.... nothing against being a garbage man .... just making a point.

I was talking to a 65 year old couple who had moved into the commons on the UAFS Campus and had started school.... they said they could do it for free....much better than a retirement home.
Extended education is a valuable commodity, but I think as a society we've started viewing it all wrong or the very least not conveying to the kids what it's really used for. There was a time you went to college to further your expertise within a specific career field with a future goal in mind. Now a days it seems a lot of people are going just because they've been told they need a degree to be successful, but it seems for many that going to college was the goal with no real objectives to follow it.

Let's say one kid had read articles and watched TV shows that that spot lighted Malibu as they were growing up and they just knew that's where they wanted to live. That kid could prepare themselves by learning about the cost of living. Best form of transportation to get to Malibu. Plot out job possibilities. What clothes they need for the climate, so on and so on.
This is why you should go to college!

Another kid on the other hand has been told there's better places to live out West. You want a comfortible life, out West is where you need to be. No real plan other to head out West so they're not stuck where they are.
This is a bulk of todays college student.

Comparitive few will find success. A large portion will go back home to find themselves 4 years behind their high school classmates, working at the same unskilled jobs.

olddog79

Quote from: redwolf143 on May 27, 2011, 09:57:44 am

Cheddars is a decent Applebees/Chilli's type restaurant I've only seen them in  Texas and Missouri thus far.  Hated the one in Joplin, loved the one just off Ft. Hood.
They have a Cheddars in Tulsa too. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Baitshop

Duh...it's a cheese....!!

True Believer

Quote from: Baitshop on May 27, 2011, 10:08:17 am

:)

We need a Benson's over here.

ricepig

I didn't know either, I just googled it and it seemed like the above descriptions. I think the article in The Sun said there was one in Ft. Smith. According to the article, the paid a high price for the property, hope it's good. You're tougher than me TB, I refuse to eat anywhere I have to stand in line outside. It took me about 2 months to go to Olive Garden, probably take 4 to get it Red Lobster.

redwolf143

Quote from: olddog79 on May 27, 2011, 10:08:11 am

They have a Cheddars in Tulsa too. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Never been to the Tulsa one, only place I've been to in Tulsa was the airport...

Brian G

Quote from: True Believer on May 27, 2011, 10:38:55 am

It helps cut down on the strays.

fastdrop

May 27, 2011, 03:46:38 pm #167 Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:54:57 pm by fastdrop

true story ... Since I laugh at myself all the time I will tell it.

I was sitting in Eu Claire, Wisconsin last week and just plain worn out from 3 weeks of traveling hard... There is a great Hamberger place up there that sells cheese curds with their burgers.. I ask for a number 3 and the dude behind the counter ask me if I want Fries or cheese curds... I look at him and say I want the cheese turds... The guy I was with had a puzzled look on his face and said "what did you say you wanted with your burger" I told him again I wanted Cheese Turds....then the whole place erupted and then I realized what I was saying. My friend asked them if they had any cheese turds and the guy behind the counter said sure he could come up with at least one order....

anyway...they were great. Wisconsin cheese heads are some pretty fun folks to be around.

bty ... Culvers is the name of the chain... makes Wendy's and other burger joints look silly.

Wahls

Quote from: BillyJack™ on May 27, 2011, 10:07:34 am
Quote from: fastdrop on May 27, 2011, 08:23:57 am

Extended education is a valuable commodity, but I think as a society we've started viewing it all wrong or the very least not conveying to the kids what it's really used for. There was a time you went to college to further your expertise within a specific career field with a future goal in mind. Now a days it seems a lot of people are going just because they've been told they need a degree to be successful, but it seems for many that going to college was the goal with no real objectives to follow it.

Let's say one kid had read articles and watched TV shows that that spot lighted Malibu as they were growing up and they just knew that's where they wanted to live. That kid could prepare themselves by learning about the cost of living. Best form of transportation to get to Malibu. Plot out job possibilities. What clothes they need for the climate, so on and so on.
This is why you should go to college!

Another kid on the other hand has been told there's better places to live out West. You want a comfortible life, out West is where you need to be. No real plan other to head out West so they're not stuck where they are.
This is a bulk of todays college student.

Comparitive few will find success. A large portion will go back home to find themselves 4 years behind their high school classmates, working at the same unskilled jobs.

Completely right.

The way I view a degree is a means to a destination - but you have to have that destination in mind. You have to decide what you're going to do with that degree and just like anything else in life, you have to have the drive to do whatever it is to make it a reality.

I know exactly the type you're talking about. My girlfriends mom is one of the stupidest people I have ever met (how do you manage to breathe stupid) and she got an associates degree just so she could find a better job.

She's on food stamps because she has no inner drive. College degree or not, it matters more what kind of person you are.

ppop

Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on May 27, 2011, 05:52:03 pmI know exactly the type you're talking about. My girlfriends mom is one of the stupidest people I have ever met (how do you manage to breathe stupid) and she got an associates degree just so she could find a better job.
Wow! Ever heard that sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? I'm sure you're girlfriend takes after her dad, though. Either that, or you're not dating her for her smarts!  ;D (P.S. Is stupidest a word?)

Wahls

Quote from: ppop on May 27, 2011, 06:11:32 pm
Quote from: Showband of Arkansas on May 27, 2011, 05:52:03 pmI know exactly the type you're talking about. My girlfriends mom is one of the stupidest people I have ever met (how do you manage to breathe stupid) and she got an associates degree just so she could find a better job.
Wow! Ever heard that sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? I'm sure you're girlfriend takes after her dad, though. Either that, or you're not dating her for her smarts!  ;D (P.S. Is stupidest a word?)

Her dad dropped out of the 9th grade and could probably be an engineer if he didn't think that hunting licenses were a government conspiracy to make you go to the grocery store to spend money, and things like that.

You either become your parents or you become opposite, and she became opposite.

True Believer

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2011, 10:51:27 am

I didn't know either, I just googled it and it seemed like the above descriptions. I think the article in The Sun said there was one in Ft. Smith. According to the article, the paid a high price for the property, hope it's good. You're tougher than me TB, I refuse to eat anywhere I have to stand in line outside. It took me about 2 months to go to Olive Garden, probably take 4 to get it Red Lobster.

It's crazy madness over there right now.  People act like they have never seen shrimp before in their lives. 

True Believer

Quote from: B.G. on May 27, 2011, 03:41:14 pm

It helps cut down on the strays.

Now I'm afraid to eat there. 

True Believer

Quote from: fastdrop on May 27, 2011, 03:46:38 pm

true story ... Since I laugh at myself all the time I will tell it.

I was sitting in Eu Claire, Wisconsin last week and just plain worn out from 3 weeks of traveling hard... There is a great Hamberger place up there that sells cheese curds with their burgers.. I ask for a number 3 and the dude behind the counter ask me if I want Fries or cheese curds... I look at him and say I want the cheese turds... The guy I was with had a puzzled look on his face and said "what did you say you wanted with your burger" I told him again I wanted Cheese Turds....then the whole place erupted and then I realized what I was saying. My friend asked them if they had any cheese turds and the guy behind the counter said sure he could come up with at least one order....

anyway...they were great. Wisconsin cheese heads are some pretty fun folks to be around.

bty ... Culvers is the name of the chain... makes Wendy's and other burger joints look silly.

And I bet you use to order poot beer.  :)

Hoghead

They have a Cheeders in Shreveport and Monroe. Good prices and decent food.

Baitshop

Benson's is like Baitshops.....you can't make more than one....

Although, I am working on a new/old concept....

True Believer

Hmmm.   Bait working on a new/old concept.  That should be interesting.

My daughter who just graduated from college has a J   O   B!!!!

I'm so happy.  Now she can pay her own bills.   Right??? 

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: True Believer on May 28, 2011, 04:13:33 am

ha ha ha ha ha!  that's funny! 

Baitshop

Quote from: True Believer on May 28, 2011, 04:13:33 am
Hmmm.   Bait working on a new/old concept.  That should be interesting.

My daughter who just graduated from college has a J   O   B!!!!

If you won't, she will have too.....

The decision and the power are in your hands....

As the nike ad says....

Just Do It

MikeDiesel™

Paw-Paw

Paw-Paw

Quote from: HackerHog on August 19, 2013, 10:53:45 am
How am I just finding this thread? This is fantastic!

I know...I had no clue until earlier this month. I wasn't even given a PM to tell me to check it out. Shame-shame.

True Believer

Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on June 28, 2011, 10:18:44 pm
Quote from: True Believer on May 26, 2011, 04:52:27 am
A student from Marion recently graduated from Harvard.

This made me chuckle.

Hey, we have to be proud of something!!!!   :)

Chief_Osceola™

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but it *is* in the hall of fame.  Anyway, I think one of these needs to be done on me.  Preferably from the informed masses who've been around long enough to know me and my posting style.

Kazimierz

Wow. Great thread. Let's keep it going.

One shot... got a 29. Testing location: Philander Smith... yea, it was no AC, windows + bass music form the Mercury Marquis below. Never even bothered to take the SAT because I new I was going to a Southern State School.

In-state tuition to Hotty Toddy Land to follow my girlfriend-now wife.  I was heading to Arkansas (like my father, grandfather). She was heading to Texas (like her mother, father, grandfather). I said, "no way I am going to UT." She said, "no way I am going to Fayettenam."  We looked at a map, visited Oxford... sold.

Lions84

Ole Miss is a great school I had a cousin who begged me to go but she forgot to introduce me to any of those coeds..

Earl is my Hero!!

Hey, I got the highest score!

Probably because QF/BG fell prey to the same inherent gender bias of the subject matter...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas