• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NAC Tournament in Harrison

Started by YSpanther, December 18, 2018, 05:46:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

YSpanther

Bomberman

Bergman1820

All higher seeds won. On another post I saw where seeding wasn't that great in girls. I totally agree. Was one of the worst jobs ever.

oldfireguy

Quote from: Bergman1820 on December 31, 2018, 06:13:59 pm
All higher seeds won. On another post I saw where seeding wasn't that great in girls. I totally agree. Was one of the worst jobs ever.

Except #12 seed Marshall over # 5 seed Yellville 63 - 61 in Boys.

YSpanther

Quote from: oldfireguy on December 31, 2018, 08:01:21 pm

Except #12 seed Marshall over # 5 seed Yellville 63 - 61 in Boys.
I think Bergman meant for games played today, on the 31st. But yes, YS laid an egg on Saturday.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Bergman1820 on December 31, 2018, 06:13:59 pm

How should it have been seeded?

Majorpain

I'm curious as well? What was wrong with the seeding of the girls?

Ball Hog

Marshall and Bergman girls should have never been playing as the 8 and 9 seeds.  Both teams are better than the 5th-7th seeded teams.  Doesn't make sense at all.

BrakeCheck5

Bergman girls lost to the 10 seed Western Grove earlier in the year, I tend to disagree with what you're saying. I think Marshall could have been shuffled with Dover but other than that the seeds seemed well placed.

Ball Hog

Bergman lost a 1 point game at Grove who almost beat the 7 seed Dover. Omaha, the 5 seed only beat Cotter by 1. Bergman beat them by 36. Lead Hill, the 6 seed got beat by Kingston. No way Omaha, Lead Hill, and Dover should have been seeded higher than Marshall and at least two of them shouldn't have been seeded higher than Bergman. Too much of the "buddy system" going on in the seeding.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 02, 2019, 10:01:17 pm
Bergman lost a 1 point game at Grove who almost beat the 7 seed Dover. Omaha, the 5 seed only beat Cotter by 1. Bergman beat them by 36. Lead Hill, the 6 seed got beat by Kingston. No way Omaha, Lead Hill, and Dover should have been seeded higher than Marshall and at least two of them shouldn't have been seeded higher than Bergman. Too much of the "buddy system" going on in the seeding.

Bergman and Marshall have a combined record of 14 wins and 23 losses. 

Ball Hog

Look at the teams they have lost to and look at the MaxPreps rankings which factor in strength of schedule. A bunch of wins against weak 1A teams shouldn't mean much. Probably more true for Marshall than Bergman. But like I said, the seeding was terrible.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 02, 2019, 10:48:38 pm
Look at the teams they have lost to and look at the MaxPreps rankings which factor in strength of schedule. A bunch of wins against weak 1A teams shouldn't mean much. Probably more true for Marshall than Bergman. But like I said, the seeding was terrible.

I would agree in part.  People put too much credit in Max Preps.  It's just numbers.
The coaches seeding is probably more accurate than you think. 
I think the ego of some 3A fans might've been a little damaged that there were so many class A teams ahead of them.  Which is evidenced in your post.
Wouldn't the boy coaches have done the same thing in their seeding?

Ball Hog

MaxPreps isn't perfect but's it's the only system that uses strength of schedule. Coaches voting is not and has never been a fair system. Too much politicking. Being from yellville you should know that more than anyone. Two years ago yellville beat Marshall and valley and got the 4 seed in the district tournament due to coaches voting. It just doesn't work. Also, do you really think Marshall's boys should have been a 12 seed?  Their record wasn't good but they played a tough early season schedule. They sure didn't look like a 12 seed against the Panthers in the first round.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 02, 2019, 11:11:46 pm
MaxPreps isn't perfect but's it's the only system that uses strength of schedule. Coaches voting is not and has never been a fair system. Too much politicking. Being from yellville you should know that more than anyone. Two years ago yellville beat Marshall and valley and got the 4 seed in the district tournament due to coaches voting. It just doesn't work. Also, do you really think Marshall's boys should have been a 12 seed?  Their record wasn't good but they played a tough early season schedule. They sure didn't look like a 12 seed against the Panthers in the first round.

I'm not from Yellville, but that's a valid point. I thought the boys seeding was pretty accurate.  The foreigner for Marshall played well apparently.  Sounded like a Yellville either didn't show up or was overrated?
Are you suggesting that the committee should use Max preps to seed?

Ball Hog

Sorry about that. I saw that YSPanther started this thread and got mixed up. Haha. I honestly don't know how it would work but it might be better. I've talked to several coaches who have been in those meetings. Most of them aren't there to get the bracket right. They are there to get the best seeding they can get for their team and they do make deals with each other and help each other out. This particular tournament has a father and son both coaching in it. In this case it probably won't affect which teams make it to the semifinals but there could have been some better second round matchups.

Majorpain

January 03, 2019, 07:20:52 am #16 Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:09:55 am by Majorpain
District has nothing to do with the strength of schedule. I still don't understand the complaint on Bergman and Marshall. 1a plays with every class and has been winning a lot of those games. Neither Bergman or Marshall is fantastic it wouldn't have mattered if they were seeded anywhere else. It doesn't matter where you are seeded, win the games. You can't complain about seeding.Tough games will help them in post season anyway.  Surely your more concerned about that than the NAC tournament. I haven't liked the state seeding for three years but bottom line is you gotta win your games.

Ball Hog

For the past two years, strength of schedule has been a big factor in the seeding for district tournaments.  I know for a fact that the coaches used that when they voted for the seeding.  Thanks to the AAA's great idea of having coaches vote on seeding for the district tournaments the past two years, we've had exactly what I'm talking about.  Unfair seeding based more on politics and the buddy system instead of play on the court.  Thank goodness we are done with that and back to the way it should be.  Those 1A schools that you talking about have played very few teams that are not 1A.  Omaha beat Shiloh who is only 3A because they are a private school.  Other than that, all their wins are against 1A schools.  Lead Hill only has a win again Green Forest outside of 1A.  No way those two teams should have been seeded higher than Dover, Berman, and Marshall.  Lead Hill got beat in the first round by a Kingston team that is pretty weak and Omaha almost lost to Cotter.  It has nothing to do with classifications or not wanting to play good teams.  It's just about doing the right thing and seeding the tournament the way it should be.  Like I said earlier, it will most likely have no affect on which teams make the semifinals.  It just could have set up some better second round games.  Northark is going to have trouble keeping teams in their tournament if they don't change some things about it.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 03, 2019, 11:18:21 am
For the past two years, strength of schedule has been a big factor in the seeding for district tournaments.  I know for a fact that the coaches used that when they voted for the seeding.  Thanks to the AAA's great idea of having coaches vote on seeding for the district tournaments the past two years, we've had exactly what I'm talking about.  Unfair seeding based more on politics and the buddy system instead of play on the court.  Thank goodness we are done with that and back to the way it should be.  Those 1A schools that you talking about have played very few teams that are not 1A.  Omaha beat Shiloh who is only 3A because they are a private school.  Other than that, all their wins are against 1A schools.  Lead Hill only has a win again Green Forest outside of 1A.  No way those two teams should have been seeded higher than Dover, Berman, and Marshall.  Lead Hill got beat in the first round by a Kingston team that is pretty weak and Omaha almost lost to Cotter.  It has nothing to do with classifications or not wanting to play good teams.  It's just about doing the right thing and seeding the tournament the way it should be.  Like I said earlier, it will most likely have no affect on which teams make the semifinals.  It just could have set up some better second round games.  Northark is going to have trouble keeping teams in their tournament if they don't change some things about it.

I really doubt that 2 out of 15 votes would adversely affect the voting by that much.
But....who knows.
I am a bit confused by your post though.  You state that they used strength of schedule in seeding your district the past two years but then make it sound like it's unfair to do that.  That the coaches still were possibly unethical? 

Ball Hog

I didn't think the system for the past two years was fair because seeding in the district tournament was based on voting by the coaches. I like it better the way it is now and the way it used to be where everyone plays everyone twice and the tournament seeds are based on that. I simply stated that they did use strength of schedule when voting because you said that it wasn't used in district tournaments.

Bears_94

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 03, 2019, 05:01:18 pm
I didn't think the system for the past two years was fair because seeding in the district tournament was based on voting by the coaches. I like it better the way it is now and the way it used to be where everyone plays everyone twice and the tournament seeds are based on that. I simply stated that they did use strength of schedule when voting because you said that it wasn't used in district tournaments.

Who cares about the seeding. They weren't making it to finals no matter who they played.

oldfireguy

All top seeds advance in Boys Bracket.
Friday Games:
#1 Valley Springs v. #4 Deer @ 5:20 pm
#2 Bergman v. Western Grove @ 8:00 pm

theflash10

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 03, 2019, 11:18:21 am
Not a part of the seeding debate. But Shiloh is 4A and really bad.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: oldfireguy on January 03, 2019, 09:34:27 pm
All top seeds advance in Boys Bracket.
Friday Games:
#1 Valley Springs v. #4 Deer @ 5:20 pm
#2 Bergman v. Western Grove @ 8:00 pm

What about girls?

oldfireguy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 03, 2019, 10:04:06 pm
What about girls?

All top seeds advance in Girls Bracket.

Friday Games: