• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swept under the rug

Started by FisherOfMen11, May 16, 2017, 02:30:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FisherOfMen11

So how often does a coach do something to get fired and its kept quiet while the school they are at pushes him to find a new job and the school they go to never even knows?

PapaHog

You aren't serious are you?

FisherOfMen11

You would not think but apparently it is really common. Why would schools not be straight forward with each other? If i was an admin I would want to know what kind of coach I was really getting to coach my students.

PapaHog

Are you speaking from experience or just hearsay?

PapaHog

I guess it really just depends. If the school hid it completely then shame on them. There was a situation a few years ago where a coach was accused and found innocent. However, the school tried to fire him or weren't saying things they were supposed to. Whatever. Can't do that. That's illegal. He sued and won big time. The school has to protect themselves. I guess it all goes back to if it happened or not and what the school does from the start.

FisherOfMen11

The instances I am referring to have definitely occurred. The few that I know about are both in regards of "inappropriate" comments towards a certain diversity of students. One coach was not fired, pushed out, but the school and community were never told of what happened. The other was fired this year and nothing was ever said about it. I agree on if it is true or not as when I was in school a girl was mad she was not getting the playing time her and her mom thought she should so they made up an elaborate story to ruin coaches career which it did. Even after all allegations were proven to be wrong his career was done. Still a great guy and great family just not able to coach and down right scared to coach again after that. But I am referring to things that are actually true.

PapaHog

Idk. I don't agree with it, but what can you do. If I had something to hide, I wouldn't let the school contact my former employee. So you kind of get away with it. Stuff like that gets out. Whether it's true or not, people talk. Somebody will find out or knows.

FisherOfMen11

Yea just crazy when someone who was forced out of a position gets hired over someone who has not done something to be forced out or fired. I am sure that has happened because of lack of information for the school doing the hiring

PapaHog

Or the oh so important "it's all about who you know."

Bulldog92

It's the LAW. If a school employee resigns and moves on to another school his former employer can not talk in a negative way about them. I am pretty sure if they get fired it's probably different, the former employer would probably have to disclose the reason for the dismissal. I'm no lawyer so I'm sure someone is going to explain why I'm wrong, LOL!! 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on May 16, 2017, 03:46:29 pm
The instances I am referring to have definitely occurred. The few that I know about are both in regards of "inappropriate" comments towards a certain diversity of students. One coach was not fired, pushed out, but the school and community were never told of what happened. The other was fired this year and nothing was ever said about it. I agree on if it is true or not as when I was in school a girl was mad she was not getting the playing time her and her mom thought she should so they made up an elaborate story to ruin coaches career which it did. Even after all allegations were proven to be wrong his career was done. Still a great guy and great family just not able to coach and down right scared to coach again after that. But I am referring to things that are actually true.

Girls are supposedly easier to coach..... But this reason is why a lot of guys want no part of coaching girls. Just takes one accusation these days...

FisherOfMen11

Quote from: Bulldog92 on May 20, 2017, 10:18:48 am
It's the LAW. If a school employee resigns and moves on to another school his former employer can not talk in a negative way about them. I am pretty sure if they get fired it's probably different, the former employer would probably have to disclose the reason for the dismissal. I'm no lawyer so I'm sure someone is going to explain why I'm wrong, LOL!!

I do not understand this though. If a coach is having problems with parents, or players, other coaches/teachers, admin, are any other problem that makes them not a very good coach or person you want running your program, then if they resign to go somewhere else why could a school not say the exact reason good or bad as to why they are leaving. I think there are a lot of "not so good" coaches out there bouncing around year after year because of this, and eventually they land at a district who wont push them out and they are stuck with a dud coach.

HawgDaddy

A school does not have to give a positive recommendation for a coach who resigns and move on, unless they have agreed to do so.  A coach can choose to resign rather than being fired, but the school district does not have to lie for them.  Now, if it is a personal attack that is unwarranted, the coach would probably be able to receive compensation through court proceedings.  But, the school district administrator can give an honest review of the employee's performance. 

FisherOfMen11

Quote from: HawgDaddy on May 22, 2017, 02:13:07 pm
A school does not have to give a positive recommendation for a coach who resigns and move on, unless they have agreed to do so.  A coach can choose to resign rather than being fired, but the school district does not have to lie for them.  Now, if it is a personal attack that is unwarranted, the coach would probably be able to receive compensation through court proceedings.  But, the school district administrator can give an honest review of the employee's performance.

ah makes sense

sevenof400

I'm not so sure it is the law (that a school could not provide specific info about a previous employee) as much as it is a school wanting to avoid the potential of litigation. 

scrapdig

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on May 16, 2017, 02:30:33 pm
So how often does a coach do something to get fired and its kept quiet while the school they are at pushes him to find a new job and the school they go to never even knows?
This happens ALL the time

TruthHurts

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas