• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLR v Fayetteville- the championship game

Started by PA Dad, November 25, 2016, 11:59:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins this?

Fayetteville
24 (42.1%)
NLR
33 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: December 02, 2016, 10:44:41 am

PA Dad

I thought one of the 7A guys would have this thread up and going.  It's time.

I'm a NLR alum, so I've been disappointed by NLR many times.  But this year feels different.

The team looks and plays differently from past teams.  They have a discipline and confidence that's been absent in past teams.

And it's time to break the stranglehold the NWA teams have had on the 7A championship.

NLR doesn't have the D-1 prospects they've had in the past, but they have a bevy of good athletes.  I think they matchup well with Fayetteville.

NLR by 10.

AirWarren

Let's go NLR. ITS TIME TO WIN ONE.

PA, you make an interesting assessment about not having the D1 prospects. May be a lot of true teamwork out here instead of a bunch of I's and Me': 

Razorback Red

Thanks PA Dad for getting the thread going.

This one could be a classic.  I think Fayetteville is a better matchup for NLR than Bville would have been because NLR will be able to run the ball.  I expect it to take at least 30 points to win this one.

Fayetteville should be favored, but I get a sense this could be NLR's year.  I'll go with the upset and say NLR wins 34-31.

The Future

Between PA (favorite) and Wynne, Greenwood (favorite)and Russellville, and Fayetteville (favorite) and NLR, all 3 of these games will be good and really any of them could see the underdog winning.

I think NLR will give Fay all they want and more, but the Purple Dogs will finish the season with another title.
Fayetteville by 17

Maclin on your girl

ArgentaNLR

This is a different NLR team from past years.  NLR 42 Fayetteville 31

pigskin

Any Opinions from Bryant or Conway fans/family on here that've watched their team play both NLR and F'ville?

DerekOxford

pigskin

Haven't heard from anyone that sez they've seen both teams. People throwing out scores. But nobody adding any (this year) first hand observations. Scores from NLR/F'ville team's only two common opponents(closest thing I see to objective) look to be very similar. Anybody seen both teams and care to comment? Throwing out scores without having knowledge of both teams seems to be like acting confident about "heads or tails" call. I certainly don't know about F'ville. Watched every scrimmage and game of NLR's. But haven't seen F'ville. Anybody seen both?!!!

DerekOxford

This senior class at NLR is 0-2 against FHS.

Lost 43-33 in 2014 and 53-14 last season. I know it's a new year but FHS is just as good, if not better than those two years and I don't think NLR is THAT much better.

FHS kids have state championship experience and NLR doesn't, and I think that will be the difference.

Brian G

Due to geography, there are probably only a handful of people that have seen both.  It certainly adds to the mystery.  It's pretty hard to make a favorite here.

On one hand, you have the domination of the West historically and a battle tested returning champion with big game experience.  On the flip, you have an undefeated team that faced few challenges but seemingly is entering a new era with a new coach.

I think predictions will be biased more than normal with geography being the meter.

I will follow that trend and predict Fayetteville 38  NLR 34.

Rob Van Winkle

I watched NLR scrimmage Harber and FV play Harber. I know the scrimmage doesn't carry as much weight as a regular season game but it was enough to see how good NLR was going to be this year even though they didn't have their starting QB for the scrimmage. They were physical and disciplined.

As for FV Powell is the real deal, multiple weapons on offense and they keep you off balance. Defensively they are good, not great but good.

The match up that will determine the outcome of the game (IMO) is FV offensive skill players vs. the NLR secondary. Lots of speed and athletic ability in the secondary for NLR and if they can make things tough on the receivers then they have a very good chance to win.

Two very evenly matched teams and without a doubt the two best teams in the state this year so it will be a great game. I think FV jumps out early and hangs on to win 28-21.

pigskin

Good info! Not sure how to quantify " not THAT much better ". 2015 NLR team that played F'ville was a team that had just lost to Catholic. That were a very troubled team/fan base over the recent coach trauma. A bunch of young men with mixed up allegiances. That's mostly water under the bridge now. New coach has everyone buying in now it seems. Pretty sure most would look at early 2015 results and compare with this years results and conclude they are very,very much better. Not sure if they're "THAT much better". We'll all see soon.

Rob Van Winkle

I know one of the assistant coaches for NLR and talked to him quite awhile after the scrimmage. He made the comment that this years team has bought in to the new style and philosophy. You could definitely see that when they played.

I wouldn't be surprised at all of NLR wins it but just think FV will get ahead early and hang on. It will be a great game!

AirWarren

pigskin

NLR secondary was shredded at will last year by the well mixed F'ville passing attack. We'll see if the new scheme has NLR D more able to cover this time. NLR Dline usually pressures QB pretty well. NLR could slow down FHS offense some if they can establish their running game with some long drives. I have no idea who wins, but clearly F'ville is/will be favored until such time NLR proves they can beat them.

bbishop

One major difference in last years early games and any game this year...discipline! There were players kicked off the team last year, who were causing major conflicts, the team was still very loyal to coach B, and they were making mental mistakes like crazy.  This year the kids there want to be there, the love and respect coach M and, and they are ready to bring this home for our town and school.  The boys are ready for f'ville.  They have been telling me all season they wanted to play F'ville in the championship game.  I wasn't at the school today, but I am sure I will hear about this game for the rest of the week.

PigskinPete

I've seen them both and think NLR will win by a TD.

NLR hasn't seen a passing attack like FHS's. However, NLR is more balanced and more athletic. Also, "Lack of discipline" no longer describes NLR Football.

It should be a great one.

DerekOxford

I think the game comes down to Akial Byers. If he plays with his hair on fire, FHS will control the LOS while it's on defense and I don't think NLR can slow them down while it's on defense.

Ventman

NLR is going to bring the title back to central Arkansas.

razorcardsfan11

tigersfan86

new2karting

AirWarren

Deuceswild

Fayetteville 20 NLR 13, HALFTIME just kickin back and enjoying the show. Fayetteville has more creative play calls but NLR just keeps coming back

Old Scrapper

Maynard G Krebs

No dog in this hunt, but the refs sure have missed two obvious calls in the favor of Fayetteville.  First half, the F'ville QB fumbled, and it was called an imcomplete pass.  Early in second half, just now, the Fayetteville receiver pushed off the defender on a long scoring pass.   I would expect better officiating in a championship game.

Even the tv announcers have noticed the missed calls.  They have not been critical, just observant.

So far a good game to watch.

AirWarren

Maynard G Krebs

1-Adam-12

Scoop and score Fayetteville!

40-19, late 3

mack

December 02, 2016, 09:21:45 pm #30 Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:36:12 pm by mack
Powell fumbles/inc  pass.  Cox's arm going forward... Fumble.  Not saying it cost us s game, just poor officiating.

Maynard G Krebs

Razorback Red

AirWarren

Razorback Red

The Future

Soooooo maybe it's just me. But is anyone else wondering what's going on with all the missed extra points???? Crazy.

PA Dad

Congrats to Fayetteville.  The officiating was questionable, but it didn't decide the game.  Fayetteville was just the better team.

The battle cry of the loser is "wait till next year."  NLR is improving.

Razorback Red

Quote from: PA Dad on December 02, 2016, 09:47:51 pm
Congrats to Fayetteville.  The officiating was questionable, but it didn't decide the game.  Fayetteville was just the better team.

Yes Sir, they are improving.  Now they need to step up their noncon schedule.  This year's schedule was really, really bad for a high-level 7A school.  You have to get battle-tested to beat the big boys from the West. 

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: The Future on December 02, 2016, 09:47:11 pm
Soooooo maybe it's just me. But is anyone else wondering what's going on with all the missed extra points???? Crazy.

That thread on legal field size jinxed it

sportsguy80

Just a whole different level of football in NWA. Hats off to NLR for a good season. Congrats to the purple dogs on another title.

Maynard G Krebs

Mitch Petrus on sideline sounds as if he is having an asthma attack

Razorback Red

Final:  53-19

Congrats FHS on another title!

Pr8hd

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 02, 2016, 09:51:53 pm
Mitch Petrus on sideline sounds as if he is having an asthma attack

He's the spitting image of what Chris Farley would be like as a sideline reporter.

mack

Quote from: PA Dad on December 02, 2016, 09:47:51 pm

Very true.  FV was the better team.  If Mitchell stays, we'll be back in this game regularly.  We've never been the second best in 7A before.  And he did it without having the "best athletes".

Brian G

Sect103

FHS dominated the second half. Have the DVR fired up. I feel bad for the folks who watched this one.

DerekOxford

FHS is graduating the most successful class in school history, but they will still have plenty of skill talent coming back next year in Darius Bowers, Dan Hinton, Cody Gray and Kris Mulinga.

Plus you never know who may transfer in. Wouldn't shock me to see another FHS-NLR showdown next year.

Rob Van Winkle

It is going to be very tough for FV to get back next year. Not saying they won't do it, but man they are losing a BUNCH of key players. Just tough to replace a QB, RB and WRs as good as the ones they are losing. Not to mention all of the SRs on defense.

I am sure BB will coach them up and have another great group though. Should be another great battle in the 7A west between FV, BV, Harber and upstart BV West.

Not sure what the teams in the Central have coming back. I know NLR is losing QB and RBs but they will always have talent. Bryant has a good core coming back and some good young talent coming up. Cabot losing Barnes will be a big loss.

Congrats to FV and NLR for outstanding years! FV definitely showed that they were the best team with that performance last night.

Pigheaded

Quote from: The Future on December 02, 2016, 09:47:11 pm

College goalposts
Narrower

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas