• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many quarters can FB Players Play each Week!

Started by Billyo62, November 17, 2008, 09:51:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Billyo62

Is their a limit on the number of quarters an underclassman can play in football each week!

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Billyo62 on November 17, 2008, 09:51:17 am
Is their a limit on the number of quarters an underclassman can play in football each week!

no limit

Billyo62

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on November 17, 2008, 01:10:51 pm
Quote from: Billyo62 on November 17, 2008, 09:51:17 am

no limit
Thanks- it's so different in Arkansas.

Back in the Day in a different state , we could only play 6 quarters a week.

Because of that everybody got more playing time.

I started Varsity as a soph at Linebacker at 6'2"- 225lbs.

I played 2 Qtrs in the Soph game and the 4 in the Varsity Game.

I never played in a JV game because it gave the Junior guys that might get in the Varsity game more Playing time.

As a Junior I only played Varsity.

My Son as a sophomore last year actually played 10 quarters in 1 week.

Lions84

As far as I know going back to the early 1980's no limit on Quarters.

I played 8 quarters a week at my HS because of numbers. I played JV on Monday and Varsity on Friday.

parpar

Wimps.  I played 10 quarters one Saturday morning as a seventh grader.  4 quarters both ways in the 7th grade game, 4 quarters on offense in the eight grade game and two extra quarters on defense in the "extra" game for those  that didn't start in the real game.

I slept good that night.

fbhound

(1) Can a Junior High athlete who is still playing the Junior High schedule play in the Senior High system, like JV or Varsity the same week? Like a total of 6 quarters or such? Or ....
(2) Can a Junior High athlete who does NOT play in his Jr. High game play on the varsity team Friday night?
I realize that when the season is completed on the Jr. High schedule that the Jr. High player can play on the Sr. High team... So, my querry is about what if the Jr. High season is still going on.. Thanks for clarification as per rules...

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: fbhound on December 23, 2008, 12:00:16 pm
(1) Can a Junior High athlete who is still playing the Junior High schedule play in the Senior High system, like JV or Varsity the same week? Like a total of 6 quarters or such? Or ....
(2) Can a Junior High athlete who does NOT play in his Jr. High game play on the varsity team Friday night?
I realize that when the season is completed on the Jr. High schedule that the Jr. High player can play on the Sr. High team... So, my querry is about what if the Jr. High season is still going on.. Thanks for clarification as per rules...

Once a jr. high student plays "up," at the high school level versus 10th-12th graders, varsity or junior varsity, he is no longer able to play with his jr. high team.  This is only per sport, meaning, a freshman plays for the high school football team, can still play with his jr.  high basketball team.

Lions84

Quote from: fbhound on December 23, 2008, 12:00:16 pm

Nope

When I was coaching and playing we brough up 9th graders after the end of the Jr High Season. Back then they played 8 games in Jr high

OlGuyWicker

So basketball players get limits, yet there are no limits in football.  hmm.

Billyo62

Quote from: OlGuyWicker on April 01, 2009, 01:19:45 pm

I started this thread and Arkansas is still a mystery to Me!  Many Contradictions!

arthurhawgerelli

All sports have the same limitation.  They cannot play on both the senior and junior high team.  If they move up to play on the sr. high team, they cannot move back down and play on the jr. high team.  If a 9th grade football player moved up to play on the high school team during the 5th week of the season, he could not play in another junior high football game.  Once football season ends, he is eligible to play on the jr. high basketball team, unless he is moved up to play on the sr. high basketball team as well.

There really is no contradiction.

Billyo62

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on April 02, 2009, 11:03:50 am

All sports have the same limitation.  They cannot play on both the senior and junior high team.  If they move up to play on the sr. high team, they cannot move back down and play on the jr. high team.  If a 9th grade football player moved up to play on the high school team during the 5th week of the season, he could not play in another junior high football game.  Once football season ends, he is eligible to play on the jr. high basketball team, unless he is moved up to play on the sr. high basketball team as well.

I don't consider a 9th Grader ( Freshman ) as High school, even though the freshman may attend their high school  aka.. Bentonville High School...

I started this thread because when I played 10 thru 12 could only participate in 6 Quarters a week in High school Football. ( Excluding Kickoffs, Punts and Extra Point Plays ).

This gave alot of playing time to guys working their way up!

I Started as a Soph in the Varsity Games , and played 2 Quarters in the Soph games... Never ever played JV.

That gave the JV Guys more playing time and tuned me up in the soph games for my Varsity games.

The system worked great... everybody played more and got better...

Freshman - in my opinion should NEVER Play High School Varsity Sports!

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Billyo62 on April 02, 2009, 11:22:59 am
Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on April 02, 2009, 11:03:50 am

I don't consider a 9th Grader ( Freshman ) as High school, even though the freshman may attend their high school  aka.. Bentonville High School...

I started this thread because when I played 10 thru 12 could only participate in 6 Quarters a week in High school Football. ( Excluding Kickoffs, Punts and Extra Point Plays ).

This gave alot of playing time to guys working their way up!

I Started as a Soph in the Varsity Games , and played 2 Quarters in the Soph games... Never ever played JV.

That gave the JV Guys more playing time and tuned me up in the soph games for my Varsity games.

The system worked great... everybody played more and got better...

Freshman - in my opinion should NEVER Play High School Varsity Sports!

Sounds like the 6 quarter limit your school had was a local school district decision.  I apologize for bad information.  There is no AAA quarter limit rule in football in Arkansas high schools.  There is a quarter limit rule for a single day for basketball players (excluding overtimes), the limit is 5 quarters (JV game and Varsity game combined).

ppop

This wasn't (and still isn't) an issue where I grew up. If you played in a varsity game, you were not allowed to play in any other game that week.  Same with JV, which was (and still is) mostly 10th graders. If you dressed for the JV game (Thursday night) you could not dress for the varsity game. Players could, however, move between the squads during the season. There was no "playing up" or "playing down" in junior high.

Lions84

Well we had a kid moved up to varsity as a Freshman due to pre season injuries and he has done great and will be a 4 year letter man next year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas