• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff question?

Started by Batllecamel, November 01, 2008, 09:53:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Batllecamel

Ok the way I always knew it is when two teams tie with the same conference record. (example: Cedarville and Lavaca) if lavaca looses next week and cedarville wins, then they will have the same record in conference, and from what I know is that the tie breaker goes to the winner of the Cedarville Lavaca game. which was Lavaca, so Lavaca get the tie breaker and is 2nd in conference. But now I'm hearing a thing about a point system and cedarville could possibly get a 2nd place and host a playoff game, and was wondering if anybody knew anything about this?

admission ticket

I believe the point system is for a 3 way tie. I may be wrong but that was how I understood it.

Rampage72501

Quote from: fridaynightfan on November 02, 2008, 05:02:37 pm
Quote from: admission ticket on November 02, 2008, 07:15:08 am
I believe the point system is for a 3 way tie. I may be wrong but that was how I understood it.

That is correct. The tiebreaker points are only used when 3 or more teams are tied at the end of the regular season to isolate two of the teams. Head to head winner between two teams always wins out.

A lot of people get confused on the "points issue".  The thing to remember is that points are NEVER used to actually determine a playoff seed - head to head victories are.

If two teams tie for a playoff seed, the head to head winner between the two will get the seed.

If 3 teams tie for a seed, head to head victories will still be used to determine the seeds.  If Team A ties with Team B and Team C, and Team A has defeated B & C, A would get the seed no matter what the points may be.

In the event there is a 3-way "perfect triangle" tie, i.e. Team A beat Team B who beat Team C who beat Team A, then conference victory points would be used to determine the order of head to head comparison.  The lowest point total of the 3 would be eliminated, and the remaining two teams would be compared head to head with the winner getting the seed in question.

If 2 of the 3 teams in the above scenario have equal point totals, and the 3rd team has a higher total, the 2 teams with the same total would be compared head to head, with that winner then being compared to the team with the highest total and the winner of that head to head match up getting the seed.

If all 3 teams have the same point total, a coin toss is conducted to eliminate one of the teams and the two remaining teams would be compared head to head.

If multiple seeds are in question, the first available seed would be determined by the above steps, with the next seed going to the head to head winner between the remaining teams.

If 4 or more teams are tied, it's still the same basic principle.  If one of the tied teams has beaten the other teams in the tie, that team gets the seed.  If no one has a head to head advantage over ALL of the teams in question, victory points are used to once again determine the order in which the head to head comparisons are made.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas