• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for a Job.

Started by admission ticket, October 25, 2008, 12:56:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

admission ticket

I will graduate December the 19th with a degree in Physical Education and a minor in health. I will have my coaching endorsement also. I am looking for a job in southwest arkansas. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

topone

admission ticket

Prefer football, but can coach basketball, and baseball.

Coach Jacobs, GCT

Check the AAA bulletin board at www.ahsaa.org

and the AAEA Job board at http://170.211.244.70/AAEA/default.htm

Good luck to you.

If you are unable to find a job, then I highly recommend doing some substitute teaching and volunteer coaching.

philgoodallday

It's probably going to be another couple of months before coaching openings start to show up.  Kind of like in the higher ranks, people like to wait until the season and post-season are over before stirring things up too much.

parpar

I hope you are certified in Elementary phys ed.  It will enhance your chances fo getting a job.  And, I still can't believe that colleges are sending people out in the world with only a phys ed and health certification.

hillbilly

Quote from: parpar on October 27, 2008, 01:29:29 pm
I hope you are certified in Elementary phys ed.  It will enhance your chances fo getting a job.  And, I still can't believe that colleges are sending people out in the world with only a phys ed and health certification.
It happens, it doesn't mean that those are the only two subject that the person can ever teach. I'm not sure if you are aware of that or not.

R. A.™

Quote from: parpar on October 27, 2008, 01:29:29 pm
I I still can't believe that colleges are sending people out in the world with only a phys ed and health certification.

The students pick the minors not the colleges, we can only do so much advising. The student is ultimately responsible what teaching field they want.

parpar

Respectfully sir, that's a cop out.

Coach of Football

What's wrong with just teaching physical education and health?  Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a job with that certification.

parpar

Nothing wrong with it at all.  It's a very honorable profession.  BUT, for the new ones coming out, they are limiting their potential by only have health and phys ed certification.  My wife is a hs principal and it will be at least 10 years before she hires another phys ed/health only teacher/coach.  But she will probably be be hiring coaches every year, but with science, math, english or history certifications. In talking with other principals, they say the same thing.

admission ticket

That's what I've been hearing. I don't want to teach one of those subjests. I had a coach for a history teacher and i learned absolutly nothing. Thats why I don't want to teach one of those subjects. I don't want my kids looking back 10 years down the road and saying it is my old coaches fault that I didn't learn anything in that class.

athletic supporter

If you take teaching whatever class as seriously as you take coaching then none of your students will feel that way. There are some great teachers who happen to be coaches. Some choose not to be.

admission ticket

I am interning now, and I love teaching my Health class. I do actually teach too. My kids have a quiz everyday and they have homework atleast 3 times a week.

Cowkilr13

Don't apply to Marvell High School in Phillips County..... You will be screwed if you do....

raisingkane

after you get a health and phys ed certification, it only takes one test to certify you to teach another subject.
so just because he graduates in december with a health and phys ed certification, he could have another 2 by the time school is out in may when teacher have to give their intent to return forms back.

topone

you can test out of high school subjects or get a middle school certificate in other areas with only 18 hours of coursework.

A ROWDY BADGER

take arkansas history online or in the spring (if u havent already) and then take the middle school content knowledge praxis exam, easiest praxis they make and it certifies you to teach any subject in 5-8.  makes you very employable because there is a need for middle school teachers

laughalittle

Brinkley has a football coach retiring at Christmas break.  We are SWArkansas but it is an option for you.  He teaches math.  There has been talk of moving one of the health/pe teachers to his position but I don't know what will actually happen.  Just something you might want to check into.

topone

Who is retiring at Christmas from Brinkley?  BTW..Brinkley isnt SW Arkansas.

Quote from: laughalittle on November 21, 2008, 04:28:16 pm
Brinkley has a football coach retiring at Christmas break.  We are SWArkansas but it is an option for you.  He teaches math.  There has been talk of moving one of the health/pe teachers to his position but I don't know what will actually happen.  Just something you might want to check into.

laughalittle

I left out the not!!  Forgive me!  Coach Hill is leaving.  He tried to leave in August but agreed to stay until the end of the semester. 

philgoodallday

Quote from: parpar on November 11, 2008, 10:33:58 am
Nothing wrong with it at all.  It's a very honorable profession.  BUT, for the new ones coming out, they are limiting their potential by only have health and phys ed certification.  My wife is a hs principal and it will be at least 10 years before she hires another phys ed/health only teacher/coach.  But she will probably be be hiring coaches every year, but with science, math, english or history certifications. In talking with other principals, they say the same thing.

Hey, where does your wife work?  I have a degree in English and Language Arts.   ;D

mom of 15

Excuse me but ...what is wrong with teaching Health? What makes it less important than any of the other classes ? No, its not required all four years of high school but maybe it should be! Maybe if the teachers/coaches were allowed to teach what they need to be teaching in health class there would be a lot better "conduct" amongst our teens than there is now!

athletic supporter

Quote from: mom of 15 on December 06, 2008, 01:27:35 pm
Excuse me but ...what is wrong with teaching Health? What makes it less important than any of the other classes ? No, its not required all four years of high school but maybe it should be! Maybe if the teachers/coaches were allowed to teach what they need to be teaching in health class there would be a lot better "conduct" amongst our teens than there is now!

Maybe if the parents "taught" their kids modesty and respect for the opposite sex we wouldn't have the "conduct" problems that get blamed on teachers and coaches.

Iknewthemwhen

Coaches ought to have at least 1 core course they can teach besides PE or health.   Youwould find a job more easily.

admission ticket

Yes it would be easier, but only because there is a teacher shortage. If there wasn't a teacher shortage it wouldn't matter. It is hard for coaches to have to teach a core class and have football practice or anyother practice after school and stay caught up on all the things teachers have to do these days. It is hard for just a teacher to keep up.

Iknewthemwhen

I know a few teacher/coaches.  Some of which work their butt off on the field and in the classroom, some others don't do ither.

mom of 15

Never said that the parents should not play a roll . I am saying that a health class is a good place to reinforce what should be being taught at home. Teamwork ,how to follow rules,following instructions, finishing what you start etc.should be taught at home too but you seem to think it is o.k. to pass on those values at school!!!

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 06, 2008, 05:35:02 pm
Coaches ought to have at least 1 core course they can teach besides PE or health.   Youwould find a job more easily.

I teach seven classes a day.   Three Civics, two World History, World Geography and Economics.

Tommy TIGER

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: mom of 15 on December 06, 2008, 01:27:35 pm

There is nothing wrong with teaching Health.  I think you missed the point.  There aren't many Health jobs open because the older coaches have those jobs, and since the Dept. of Ed. only requires a 1/2 unit to graduate, there usually aren't many Health jobs open as compared to the number of core classes being required.

Good advice to anybody attending college hoping to coach, get your certification in English, math, science, or social studies.  Your chances of getting hired go up when you have one of these certifications.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas