• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stress routes against different covers!

Started by Coach Mac D, October 06, 2008, 03:36:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Mac D

What are good pass plays vs.

Cover 1?

Cover 2?

Cover 3?

Made

I started to write a long post about what routes are the best for each coverage, but I think this will do you one better.  Where are the weaknesses in each defense?

Cover 1, I am assuming this is man free?  Everyone is manned up with a safety in the middle?..The biggest weakness to this defense is if you are running a traditional spread, the defense has committed 5 guys to stopping the pass, not a great defense to throw on, unless you have superior athletes.  If you go to a 5 wide set, now you only have 5 people on defense in the box vs. your 5 lineman, who will win?  Timing routes can hurt this defense, stop routes curls, also crossing routes, a reciever running flat across the middle of the field.

Cover 2, traditional cover 2, press corners, 2 deep safeties, OLB's flexed with a 4-1 in the middle.  Any routes that can get between the OLB and the MLB, a deep dig route by the inside reciever, two deep routes on the same side, with a swing to the side to hold corner in flats. 

Cover 3, slants going between the OLB and ILB's, will need your inside reciever to run a hitch, out, bubble or something to keep or drag the OLB to the flats to open the window on the slant.  When the corner gets tired of watching that pass be caught and cheats in, run the inside reciever on a wheel.  If the ILB's are jumping the slant use a play fake of somesort to hold them in their place.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas