• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for potential coaches

Started by Absolut, March 31, 2008, 08:25:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Absolut

This question may have already been discussed, but I'll bring it up anyway. What are the chances of getting a coaching position after graduating from college and getting the coaching endorsement? Assuming that you only have high school playing experience in football.

Im passionate about football and teaching young men, but Im afraid that if I major in PE or something and people don't hire me for a position on the coaching staff. Then I'll basically have a useless degree and time wasted. I read that Guz Malzahn started at the small school Hughes. Should I be looking to start at a small school for my potential fist job?

Ignatius J. Reilly

Are you asking whether you look for a job, then get the coaching endorsement?

parpar

If you major in PE or health fine, but make sure that you have a certification in another core subject - English, history, math, science, or a foreign language.  This makes you employable  as a teacher first, where there are more openings, then just coaching.  You might have to volunteer coach initially, but if you show you can do the classroom part that won't last long.   When it is time to make cuts, those that are just certified in PE and Health are the first to get the axe.

3cats

You should not rule out any school, no matter what the size, until you have decided on one.  If you certify to teach math or science you will have schools beating your door down to interview you. With a certification in either of these,  you can become an instant head coach.  Good Luck on your search.

philgoodallday

Quote from: 3cats on April 01, 2008, 08:27:56 am
You should not rule out any school, no matter what the size, until you have decided on one.  If you certify to teach math or science you will have schools beating your door down to interview you. With a certification in either of these,  you can become an instant head coach.  Good Luck on your search.

I wouldn't suggest being a head coach first though.  Besides, with your first year of teaching, and all of the crap that you have to go through with the Praxis III now, you'll be busy enough without the duties of being a head coach.

Absolut

April 01, 2008, 08:01:42 pm #5 Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:10:12 pm by Absolut
Quote from: Ignatius J. Reilly on April 01, 2008, 07:40:46 am
Are you asking whether you look for a job, then get the coaching endorsement?
Im talking about getting my degree and coaching endorsement then going into teaching/coaching.

I'm good at math so I would want to get certified in that subject. Are you'll saying that with a certification in math or any other core subject that you become more marketable for a coaching position? I know coaches that only "teach" study hall. I definately want to do more than that.
My only concern is not getting a coaching position. I want to work my way up the ladder and someday be a head coach. I would like to teach, but make no mistake coaching football is what I would be looking to do. The reason I said I would look at small schools first is because I could probably move up the coaching ranks faster and possibly be a head coach. As opposed to going to say for example Rogers High and not getting on the coaching staff.

Ignatius J. Reilly

Oh, ok.

Get your degree, get your teacher's certification first.  Schools, usually, hire teachers first.  If you go in with a coach's attitude, it will be hard to get a job.  Take what you can get coaching wise.  You are probably young and will have many years ahead of you to make changes.  If you do not find a coaching job...volunteer.  Any experience will help in the long run.

philgoodallday

If you teach math, a job will basically find you.  As requirements for graduation accelerate, PE, study hall, etc. begin to lose value in the eyes of most districts.  Smaller districts do not have the finances to employ people as coaches and give them a "ghost" assignment during the day.  Supes want to know that you will be providing a viable service to the district as one who "really" teaches when in the classroom.  You don't have to look to teach and volunteer if you have a Mathematics degree.  You'll get a job.  If you are single and willing to move, you'll get one fairly easily.

CoachJ

Get a degree or certification in whatever it is that you want to teach.  Do not let anyone tell you that you won't get a job in a certain subject area.  All districts are looking for quality teachers, in all subjects.  I have a Physical Education degree and I had no problem finding a teaching/coaching job.  The perception is that PE teachers are coaches who just sit in the bleachers and read the newspaper during class, and to some extent this is true.  If you are willing to be more than this type of PE/Health teacher then you will be fine.  I graduated with 10 PE majors and everyone of us found a job, so don't let anyone tell you it's not going to happen.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas