• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sportmanship Rule?

Started by Paw-Paw, November 07, 2007, 10:43:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Paw-Paw

I attended the Alma-Greenwood game this past Friday. Why are the Greenwood students able to chant "Alma Who" at the games without getting in trouble by the AAA? I did my research and here is what I found.

It vialtes the sportmanship rule.

Good sportsmanship is viewed by the National Federation of State High School Associations as a commitment to fair play, ethical behavior and integrity. In perception and practice, sportsmanship is defined as those qualities which are characterized by generosity and genuine concern for others:

1.Play fair, take loss or defeat without complaint, or victory without gloating

2.Treat others as you wish to be treated

3.Respect others and one's self

4.Impose self-control, be courteous, and gracefully accept results of one's actions

5.Display ethical behavior by being good (character) and doing right (action)

6.Be a good citizen.

Simply put...No more chanting that phrase. That is the exact same reason why the football team could not sing the "Down by the River" after a victory. If I am way off just tell me but the Alma players and fans were a little frustrated and I am getting that way. It is a attack on a specific group,individual and or team. And if we look at it even closer it really could be interperted as a attack on a town.

Lions84

BOO HOO Cry me a River! It is a part of Football!  At Clarendon our rivals  call us River Rats and we take it as an Honor that they dislike us enough to call us that instead of our given Mascot the Lions.  We refer to Brinkley at Buck or the Swamp poodles.  If your feelings are so easily hurt you need to grow up and get some tougher skin.  Folks like you and the Triple A would probally like Brinkley's Band to be kept from playing " In the Jungle the Mighty Jungle the Lion sleeps tonite" before and all during the Clarendon Brinkley game.  Please don't try to kill all the fun associated with HS Football.

Taurus

Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 07, 2007, 10:43:11 am
I attended the Alma-Greenwood game this past Friday. Why are the Greenwood students able to chant "Alma Who" at the games without getting in trouble by the AAA? I did my research and here is what I found.

It vialtes the sportmanship rule.

Good sportsmanship is viewed by the National Federation of State High School Associations as a commitment to fair play, ethical behavior and integrity. In perception and practice, sportsmanship is defined as those qualities which are characterized by generosity and genuine concern for others:

1.Play fair, take loss or defeat without complaint, or victory without gloating

2.Treat others as you wish to be treated

3.Respect others and one's self

4.Impose self-control, be courteous, and gracefully accept results of one's actions

5.Display ethical behavior by being good (character) and doing right (action)

6.Be a good citizen.

Simply put...No more chanting that phrase. That is the exact same reason why the football team could not sing the "Down by the River" after a victory. If I am way off just tell me but the Alma players and fans were a little frustrated and I am getting that way. It is a attack on a specific group,individual and or team. And if we look at it even closer it really could be interperted as a attack on a town.

Do you work for the Arkansas Activities Association?

Paw-Paw

NO I dont, I was just asking a simple question and for Lions Coach up there no need to be inconsiderate. It was a question. Just a simple question. And I understand all of that but I have been around long enough to hear the Greenwood students chant that and sing "Down by the River." I just want to know how they are able to continuing doing that after all of the rule changes over the past couple of years.

Lions84

Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 13, 2007, 12:09:41 pm
NO I don't, I was just asking a simple question and for Lions Coach up there no need to be inconsiderate. It was a question. Just a simple question. And I understand all of that but I have been around long enough to hear the Greenwood students chant that and sing "Down by the River." I just want to know how they are able to continuing doing that after all of the rule changes over the past couple of years.

Sorry bout that it is a sore head issue with me. Now according to what I have read on the Officials forum it is up to the Local District Administrators to enforce these asinine "sportsmanship rules". It has been my observation that most agree with me and are turning a blind eye to these "rules".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas