• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"It's Only a Flesh Wound" Rebs v PDogs

Started by ARDA2, October 01, 2007, 01:47:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ARDA2

Despite multiple key injuries the Rebs are upbeat and in fighting spirit.  It's only a flesh wound....

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 01, 2007, 11:59:51 am
ARDA2, What do you think our chances are of being able to contain Harris enough this week to come out with a win? It appeared Friday night we played zone defense in the secondary when number 1 was the only receiver on the field that was going to beat us. Unfortunately he did with an unbeleivable catch in the end zone and a long catch across the middle to keep their drive going late. From all that I have read the only chance at stopping Harris is with two guys on him in man to man defense. I wonder if coach Williams is entertaining that thought? I also heard that David Harris may be back for us this week so that would definitely improve our chances at stopping Harris. Southside's defense played their hearts out Friday night and unfortunately we could not get anything going on offense. Hoepfully that part changes in time to make a run at the playoffs.
Getting Harris back this week would be great...but if he ain't ready hopefully he will before playoff time.
Whatever Williams & Co come up with I have faith it will be the best option for the Rebs.

Quite Frankly

This one is easy.  You will only need to watch two things:

FHS turnovers.

Can FHS continue to run?

SS will score 28+, but those listed factors will determine FHS's output.  I'm still cyphering on my prediction.

olddog79

ARDA2

Rebs run defense has been very good so far but the pass defense has been subpar.  Rebs will need to contain PDogs passing to have a chance in staying in the game.  My guess is that the turnovers will be low given this time of the season....but you never know. 
For the Rebs offense we can sometimes get by with a run "only" offense with some teams but with others a bit more balanced offense does the trick...like it may have against Rogers last week.     

Rebel Fan 84

ARDA, I can't comment right now because the "Thumper rule" is in effect.

GBdog2003

Is Rogers a Run first team this year unlike last year? I'm not sure how you guys think your passing defense is subpar. Looked pretty sharp against greenwood and if rogers is a pass first team holding them to 12 with their starters back is a big plus.

7AFBFAN

GBDOG, Southside is missing their best pass defender in the secondary. He is out with injury. If our secondary played as well as they did against GW on opening night we would be undefeated right now. Rogers had some success both running and passing. They ran the wildcat early on and we could not stop their runner until they were faced with a short field. Our defense made adjustments and played an overall awesome game with the exception of giving up a couple of pass plays that very well could have been interceptions. Taking nothing away from Rogers, to me they looked to be a very physical team that very well could make the playoffs.

7AFBFAN

I saw where the Fayetteville (HOMER) newspaper had the game prediction in the paper today as Fayetteville 34 and SS 23. The article said that SS was reeling. Does anyone know what that means? I guess that explains a lot about the Fayetteville football tradition. Their guys think a team is reeling after a tough loss on the road. They also said that scoring should be no problem against SS. I wonder if they have even seen a SS game this year where the defense averages giving up 15 points a game and the most they gave up was 25 to the best team in 5A. Message to the homer newspaper guy, Fayetteville is not playing Springdale this week. 

bulldogs1159

Remember what happened to that knight ARDA?

ARDA2

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on October 03, 2007, 09:58:36 am
Remember what happened to that knight ARDA?

I took the helmut off the Southside knight and took the picture below.  This is the face of the Rebs....

We'll be back!

bulldogs1159

Knew I could get somethin good out of ya if I baited.

Nice work.

ARDA2

Coach Williams overheard in Rebs locker room

Quote"We're gonna keep fighting. Is that CLEAR? We're gonna attack all night, we're gonna attack the the first play, we're gonna attack the last play. If we are not VICTORIOUS, let no man come back alive!"

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more."

7AFBAN...seems a bit extreme...wonder if Williams read the NWA rag?  What I hear is the PDog players and/or coaches fed their opinion to the newspaper.  Rebs defense is insulted and hacked.  That article has really riled the Rebs. 

Quite Frankly

You guys are all much more sophisticated than this type of self motivation aren't you?

I mean SS is such a storied program with such a record for itself that you would think that you would not need such trivial motivational tools.  The FHS kids are not posting on here and creating billboard moments.

So what if the pick by the local guy is a homer pick.  It's a prediction by a HS sportswriter.   FHS has defeated SS 4 times in 4 years I read. 

I think the game is close for sure.  That's why they play them.

I think I think SS will win a close one.

But lordy no need to stir your own pot.  SS is above that.

ARDA2

Quote from: Quite Frankly on October 03, 2007, 10:20:35 pm
You guys are all much more sophisticated than this type of self motivation aren't you?

I mean SS is such a storied program with such a record for itself that you would think that you would not need such trivial motivational tools.  The FHS kids are not posting on here and creating billboard moments.

So what if the pick by the local guy is a homer pick.  It's a prediction by a HS sportswriter.   FHS has defeated SS 4 times in 4 years I read. 

I think the game is close for sure.  That's why they play them.

I think I think SS will win a close one.

But lordy no need to stir your own pot.  SS is above that.

Just fishin' for a Purple Puppy (aka Lion) or Bear. 
So you are saying coach Patton had nothing to do with that article? 

Quite Frankly

Define "nothing".

That writer is pretty much a str8 shooter.  I can promise you he has picked against FHS before.  I would expect the SWTR writer to pick SS.

Patton says what he says, but just like Tice last week talking about Gwood there is nothing really there to stir things up.  I read it again to be sure.  I just think you must need a spark coming off a loss if that is all it takes to get hyper.

ARDA2

Quite Frankly you are a bit concrete tonight.

7AFBFAN

Quite Frankly, the pick by their homer is not my issue. Why did he make a statement about them reeling. Southside is not reeling. If they lose this Friday they are not reeling. They will be reeling if they dont win more games in the 7A West than they lose. Also, he talks about Fayetteville being able to score at will pretty much. He needs to make a visit out to Southside on Friday night to see if that is the case. No one else has scored at will and I don't expect it to start this Friday. Fayetteville has a very good team and may present problems but I would be hard pressed to say the Rebels will not go down without a very tough fight. If the turnover problems continue for Fayetteville it will be a long night for them in my opinion.

ARDA2

October 04, 2007, 11:50:56 am #18 Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:28:01 pm by ARDA2
Quite Frankly

I want to point a few things about this thread:
1. The initial picture does not depict an actual Southside player in medieval garb having his arm severed
2. The picture of "The Terminator" is also not an actual Southside player
3. Coach Williams was not over heard spouting George Patton quotes
4. Coach Williams and the players in all likelyhood have not read any NWA newspapers and would have only passing regard for a reporter's opinion.

The purpose of the thread is to add some levity, you know jocularity, to the Rebs recent loss and their injuries.  The Rebs are hacked, but not about a newspaper article but because they lost a game they should have won.  They are also disappointed in the loss of some of their teamates.  If a reporter wants to spin that irritation for a local readership as "reeling" so be it.  Williams & Co do not need postings on FF nor newspaper articles to motivate their players.  Surely players do read threads on FF, but as you know they must maintain their GPA in order to play sports and therefore most probably not take things literally but hopefully chuckle a bit at our sometimes outrageous distortions, photos, and "trivial  motivational tools".

Quite Frankly

Relax fellas, it's so amusing that you guys can act so 'tongue in cheek' but when someone gives it back you get so defensive.  You want to come on here for fun and stir up each opponent to liven things up each week and that is fun.  But on this one I simply flipped it back on you that nothing was here to see.

I am not sure how it evolved to this, but your efforts were simply amusing to me.  Not a single FHS poster here to bite.  Not a single tangible thing to stir.  You were inventing things.  I simply said so.

You guys are sure easy to rattle.  Stir and stir and when confronted a quick retreat, regroup and a reload because you didn't get a snoot nosed 16 year old to bite..

I love how some try to invent things.  Sports is about self motivation more than perception of what you think others think about your team. 

FHS has owned SS the last few years.  Might end Friday.  Who knows?  Sure won't be determined by what we say here. 

Besides, if you would take a look in todays high school pick'em in the NWAT you will find that 3 of the 5 staff writers of a Fayetteville based paper picked SS over FHS.  BLASPHEMY. 

I'm sure the FHS staff will post that article on the board in the locker room to show their players the lack of respect they are getting from their local paper.  (That's sarcasm).

Proceed with your mission and good luck Friday.

Note:  I will be conducting a free sensitivity training session for those that can dish it and not take on Saturday morning for those wishing to attend.  (sarcasm again)

ARDA2

Relax?RELAX????  This is high school football in Arkansas!

We, the easily stirred fans/dads of the Rebs, apologize for not divining your brand of humor.  Your posts are usually just-the-facts-as-I-see-them-mam....and well reasoned.  The FHS is suprisingly quiet this year since Purple Puppy's and Bear's sons have graduated....we miss them. 

Thank you for the sensitivity seminar invite this Saturday, but I for one will recuse myself...unless of course there is reason for me to be insensitive to somebody elses sensitivities.   

Quite Frankly

No sweat.  I was being matter of fact though...

For the life of me, I can't pick this game.

boogie

I haven't seen SS play, but they did tie Bryant.  Fayetteville is coming of age and getting better.  It's a toss up, but those dogs do bite...

RGP

Anyone got a link to the article by the Fayetteville paper?

Pete Carroll

The key to this game is right here:

Fayetteville is currently dead last in turnover ratio in the 7 A-West with a minus-7 while Southside sits in first place in the same category at plus-6.

Smithian

October 05, 2007, 07:10:28 am #25 Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:12:44 am by Smithian
Quote from: ARDA2 on October 04, 2007, 11:50:56 am
Surely players do read threads on FF, but as you know they must maintain their GPA in order to play sports and therefore most probably not take things literally but hopefully chuckle a bit at our sometimes outrageous distortions, photos, and "trivial  motivational tools".
Laugh? Why laugh at the very reason for the upset over Rogers in the state championship last year? Those "trivial motivational tools" have carried many a Southside teams many time in the 4th quarter.

The great orators ARDA and baitshop need to motivational speeches.

7AFBFAN

I do not have a link to the column in reference but today there is another one at nwarktimes.com. The one today reveals some things that will pose a problem for Fayetteville.

Baitshop

Hey fella's.......shhhh!!........listen!!!......do you hear that??..........I've heard that sound before......IT"S THE CAVALRY!!!........that's right........I just got confirmation that the Rebs have two of the "Big Knockers" coming back tonite and that next week 2 maybe 3 MORE will be back.........

It looks like Jimmy Swaggart made a stop in Rebel Land and did a little of that "Father, I have sinned!!" magic for the Rebs......

Mr. Harris.......we would like for you to meet OUR Mr. Harris........he is rested up and anxious to get back into the head knockin' business.......

Baitshop

Oh.....BTW.......I thought that I would give you PurpleDog fans a little preview of the little outfit that we are going to have your guys wearing after the game tonight.........after all, it is Homecoming, and some of the boys have been so busy practicing that they haven't had time to get a date for the dance later this evening.........

Bulldogs in stiletto's..........you GOTTA love that!!.....

7AFBFAN

Just when you thought it was safe to put in the homer newspaper that Fayetteville would roll at Southside. I never knew a roll was a positive football move but I guess it is in Fayetteville.

Quite Frankly

7AFBFAN

Too late for the Fayetteville kids to see this prediction so I am saying SS 42 Fayetteville 28. I may eat my words but 28 is tops on our home field.

PurpleRain

hey that was a good game, but im pretty sure fayetteville won.  ;D

7AFBFAN

Fayetteville definitely won. Good game. Hopefully coach Williams will see something in one of the college football games this weekend that will give him an idea on how to kick start the offense. Too one dimensional to win in the 7A West.

Quite Frankly

RGP

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 06, 2007, 04:16:57 pm
Fayetteville definitely won. Good game. Hopefully coach Williams will see something in one of the college football games this weekend that will give him an idea on how to kick start the offense. Too one dimensional to win in the 7A West.
You want Norman playing with a cast or what? We're too thin at receiver; it's no one's fault, that's just the way it happens sometimes. Once we get everyone back, it'll be a whole different ballgame. If we haven't screwed ourselves out of the playoffs by then...

Baitshop

Quote from: RunningGamePower on October 06, 2007, 05:55:47 pm
You want Norman playing with a cast or what? We're too thin at receiver; it's no one's fault, that's just the way it happens sometimes. Once we get everyone back, it'll be a whole different ballgame. If we haven't screwed ourselves out of the playoffs by then...

All we need is the 4 seed.........after that.......IT'S ON!!!.....

7AFBFAN

Runninggamepower, women and small children sitting in the bleachers know you don't run it up the middle 90% of the time when you have guys that can take it outside. Who knows maybe it is the running back that stays inside the tackle. Any mix up at all would be better than running off guard and tackle all night long. I just feel sorry for our defense, they are playing lights out and the offense cant score. Also, the pass plays we do run are across the field passes instead of short passes that are more realistic. Anyway, it appears we need to win out to make the playoffs for sure so maybe there will be some urgency starting this week. I think we can win out if we can score 21 points a game here on out. The last two weeks of the season Norman should be back so I expect we will have a good chance at those two games. HarBer is at home so we at least have a decent chance. Springdale should be a win if we go there to play.

Rebel Fan 84

Thumper rule off....

TERRIBLE play calling by the guy in the booth.  We have enough receivers to execute short pass plays and heck if you would throw it deep more than once a game you might help the running game.  Someone please tell me we are not turning into the Arkansas Rebels.  Quit pouting about the players you don't have and try to win with the players you have.  SHS has never relied on one guy to make a difference.  Coaches lost this game and that is not taking anything away from FHS.  They have a good team but they aren't even close if we manage the game similar to the Greenwood game.

Thumper rule back on...

Go Rebels!!!

7AFBFAN

Rebel fan, that is the most accurate assessment I have heard. It is time for the coaching staff to step it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PurpleRain

Or maybe all of you could give Fayetteville the credit they deserve for winning the game.

RGP

Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 06, 2007, 10:11:51 pm
Thumper rule off....

TERRIBLE play calling by the guy in the booth.  We have enough receivers to execute short pass plays and heck if you would throw it deep more than once a game you might help the running game.  Someone please tell me we are not turning into the Arkansas Rebels.  Quit pouting about the players you don't have and try to win with the players you have.  SHS has never relied on one guy to make a difference.  Coaches lost this game and that is not taking anything away from FHS.  They have a good team but they aren't even close if we manage the game similar to the Greenwood game.

Thumper rule back on...

Go Rebels!!!
I recall something similar being said about this time last year...I wonder how things turned out...

Rebel Fan 84

Quote from: PurpleRain on October 07, 2007, 01:49:18 am
Or maybe all of you could give Fayetteville the credit they deserve for winning the game.

Purple Rain,

Let me explain the difference.....when you get beat your lost to an opponent that is better, there is no shame.  You just have to go back and work harder to improve.  When you lose and the opponent is not a better team it is difficult to except.

We have a better team and if you saw us play Greenwood and half of Bryant you would understand.  Your team is good but our team is a better this year.  Yes, you get to go home with the win and congratulations, you will need it.  You saw the same thing that Conway and Bryant saw with our play calling inability.  I hope you feel fortunate for this win.

Rebel Fan 84

Quote from: RunningGamePower on October 07, 2007, 03:57:30 am
Quote from: Rebel Fan 84 on October 06, 2007, 10:11:51 pm
Thumper rule off....

Thumper rule back on...

Go Rebels!!!
I recall something similar being said about this time last year...I wonder how things turned out...

C'mon RGP you can suck up better than that...

Quite Frankly

Careful SS fans, you are starting to sound like a few other towns fans

You know it's possible for other teams to simply be better than you are.  This recent lean towards "ss loses" more than "other team wins" is not your typical style.  Hard to second guess a coach to that righted a ship mid-season last year so dramatically.

Some teams just own other teams.  FHS owns SS right now.  On the flip NS owns FHS.

As illustrated last year, it's about making the playoffs first.  The West is wide open like never before.

7AFBFAN

RGP, the difference between this year and last. Rogers and Fayetteville were the one and two seed last year. They are playing for fourth seed this year and we already lost to both. SS has to win out to go unless a miracle happens in a tie breaker. As I said yesterday there is a chance they win out since they have the best defense in the conference. Unfortunately they have an awful offensive game plan at this point. You were there on Friday night weren't you? First and goal and we change the offense to a backfield lineup we have not ran all year with three running backs lined up next to each other. On one play in that sequence the QB and running back collide and the play is for no gain. Not one screen or short screen out of the backfield all night. Fayetteville probably has one of the weakest run defenses we will see all year and we scored 14 points. Reason - we ran the same play time after time after time. RGP, I do not have a voice to coach Williams but if you or someone you know does please ask him to call out for help, these boys deserve better. 

not ray

Actually Bentonville was the 2 seed last year.

7AFBFAN

Special Delivery, thanks for the correction, my point was that losing to Rogers and Fayetteville last year is not comparable to this year. SS has their back against the wall with those two losses this year. At least Bentonville came back down to earth a little this week to give other teams some hope.

RGP

Hopefully coach Williams will see something in one of the college football games this weekend that will give him an idea on how to kick start the offense. Too one dimensional to win in the 7A West.
Coach Williams doesn't call the plays. He coaches the inside linebackers and may have minimal part in the playcalling.
Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 06, 2007, 08:48:15 pm
Runninggamepower, women and small children sitting in the bleachers know you don't run it up the middle 90% of the time when you have guys that can take it outside.
Actually, I don't think the Iso was called quite often against Fayetteville. There was much more inside and outside zone running plays called. The "guys that can take it outside" I assume to be Lawson. McGee is an up the middle sort of back. Warren is injured, so you must mean Lawson. Lawson did in fact, hit it outside on a majority of his runs, some of which he should have kept inside and followed his blockers.
Quote from: 7AFBFAN on October 06, 2007, 08:48:15 pm
Also, the pass plays we do run are across the field passes instead of short passes that are more realistic.
The passing plays called include a variety of routes, of which the quarterback chooses whom to throw the ball to. Usually he throws it to the person who is most open but in high school football, the coaches don't tell a player to throw it to such and such on each play. Just some Football 101 for ya...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas