• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

job openings

Started by 48HAWK, October 25, 2006, 10:00:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

48HAWK

October 25, 2006, 10:00:46 am Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 05:07:49 pm by 48HAWK
Looking for schools wanting to hire at semester.

Bayou Bully

Dewitt had 2 openings listed in Demozet Sunday 11-19.

mrbiggleswirth

word from the wise....you better wear hip boots, because it is deep here

loyal fan

Any truth to El Dorado comming open? 

loyal fan

any idea on who Malvern will choose to replace Coach Hart?

Prof W.W. Wormwood

Malvern, like everyone else (Pine Bluff), wants Bo.

gameoflife

If everyone wants Bo why is he still at Warren?

Prof W.W. Wormwood

Money, structure,say-so, and it's working, why change!

Lance Bass

With the right coach, PB can be a power again.  I don't think they'll win as many state titles as they did, but they always have the potential of being a great team.q

gameoflife

Would PB think of trying to get Glover back?

Lance Bass

Quote from: endrun on November 25, 2006, 06:24:26 pm
Would PB think of trying to get Glover back?

I am sure it's crossed some folk's minds. But remember...Coach Barraclough, the former AD at PB, is now at Woodlawn as well.  PB just brought in Vic Mosby from West Helena.

gameoflife

Is Mosby a good thing?  Wasn't he at Helena a long time?

Rulesman

Quote from: endrun on November 26, 2006, 02:29:49 pm
Is Mosby a good thing?  Wasn't he at Helena a long time?
No and yes.

Lance Bass

I can't see Mosby becoming the head coach there, but maybe he was hired as the AD for a reason.

oldschoolbadger

Quote from: loyal fan on November 20, 2006, 10:47:12 am
any idea on who Malvern will choose to replace Coach Hart?
Rumor out of Arkadelphia is that former OBU and Delta State University asst. head football coach Daron Heurkamp has been contacted about this job. He has been out of coaching the last couple of seasons. Be nice to see him back in coaching.

arthurhawgerelli

El Dorado is open.

Class 3A Pottsville is open.

gameoflife

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on November 28, 2006, 11:16:45 am
El Dorado is open.

Class 3A Pottsville is open.

Where did Phil Collins go?

arthurhawgerelli

gameoflife

Didn't Collins coach Russelville and retire from there to go coach at a small college up north?  Then come back to the Pottsdale job.

DB

Pottsville has got to be seen as an intriguing position.  I would say this is one to keep an eye on.  I can tell you, Pottsville is continuing to grow and there are folks that are moving in there that are very competitive.  If they make a good hire, the Apaches could be on the football map in a couple of years.

Seriously, if administrators would come to FF and ask for advice, I really think we could help them on deciding who their next coach should be.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: DB on November 28, 2006, 12:37:42 pm
Pottsville has got to be seen as an intriguing position.  I would say this is one to keep an eye on.  I can tell you, Pottsville is continuing to grow and there are folks that are moving in there that are very competitive.  If they make a good hire, the Apaches could be on the football map in a couple of years.

Seriously, if administrators would come to FF and ask for advice, I really think we could help them on deciding who their next coach should be.

You forgot to add the smiley at the end.  I don't think there will be any administrators from any school coming to a message board for any advice.  I know that most schools do read FF, because of the huge number of students who post and read here, but I'm thinking the folks at Pottsville will probably be able to handle finding a good replacement.

FreeMoney

Quote from: DB on November 28, 2006, 12:37:42 pm

Well just leave your real name and phone number so there might a shred of legitimacy to your recommendation and they might do it.

DB

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on November 28, 2006, 12:53:45 pm
You forgot to add the smiley at the end.  I don't think there will be any administrators from any school coming to a message board for any advice.  I know that most schools do read FF, because of the huge number of students who post and read here, but I'm thinking the folks at Pottsville will probably be able to handle finding a good replacement.

I thought about putting a smiley but reality is that I am not altogether joking.  I continue to have the opinion that FF posters are some of the most intelligent football fans in the state.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.  However, I am not seriously saying that a search committee should come to me or RD or UI or any of us and ask us who they should hire.  I do, however, think superintendent John Doe, could come and read the boards and get ideas on some available coaches and how they are thought of.

I also don't think that the only reason administrators or coaches come to this board is just to monitor their students.  I think, for the most part, they are interested in what is being said here. 

So if I am on the search committee at Pottsville what I would be looking for.  First, I would evaluate where my community is and what the desires of the community are.  I would not be looking for a guy that I thought would keep everybody happy.  Ultimately, I would want a guy that could be successful and not do damage to my community.  I would look at the other schools in my conference and determine what type of coach could be successful in that conference.  I would prefer to have someone that was from the River Valley and would be interested in setting down roots in Pottsville.  I would look at the job as one that would garner strong interest from strong candidates.  I would put more emphasis on personal interviews than I would resumes.  I would want someone with energy.  I would want someone that the community would support.  I would want someone that see coaching as a calling and not a career.  I would prefer someone that is married and stable in his home life.  I would want someone who goes to church and wants not only to improve the football team but the community as well and is wise enough to see the connection between the two.

So would my current post serve as good advice to a search committee?  Listen, from what I know of Pottsville from playing baseball against them and knowing where the growth in the community is coming from.  And from talking to folks from Pottsville, there is a real desire to be competitive in football.  Pottsville's school district is seen as one of if not the best school district in the River Valley.  Something needs to change with the football program.  The administration there can't look at this as "just another hire."  They need to take it seriously.

DB

Quote from: FreeMoney on November 28, 2006, 04:16:17 pmWell just leave your real name and phone number

You might as well stop worrying about that.  It is not going to happen.

FreeMoney

Quote from: DB on November 28, 2006, 06:54:00 pm
Quote from: FreeMoney on November 28, 2006, 04:16:17 pmWell just leave your real name and phone number

You might as well stop worrying about that.  It is not going to happen.
Of course it isn't--that would require body parts that you don't have.

Lance Bass

asian sensation

If an administrator gets on here for advise he's not a very good one. I would not let a few disgruntle football fans determine who I hire. The thing is a coach can't make everyone happy all the time. Some times toes might get stepped on or feelings might get hurt, so the first thing to do is for a unprofessional to second guess what the professional is doing.
      Why is coaching the only profession that everybody knows how to do better than the person doing it? I wouldn't go sit in the doctors office tell him that Amoxocilin might be a better antibiotic for that infection. So why do you do that to coaches?

DB

Quote from: asian sensation on November 29, 2006, 07:56:57 am
If an administrator gets on here for advise he's not a very good one. I would not let a few disgruntle football fans determine who I hire. The thing is a coach can't make everyone happy all the time. Some times toes might get stepped on or feelings might get hurt, so the first thing to do is for a unprofessional to second guess what the professional is doing.
      Why is coaching the only profession that everybody knows how to do better than the person doing it? I wouldn't go sit in the doctors office tell him that Amoxocilin might be a better antibiotic for that infection. So why do you do that to coaches?

I figure that if a coach is trying to make everybody happy, he probably isn't much of a coach.  As far as your doctor analogy, that is apples and oranges.  Football is something that would be no good without fans.  Fans are usually passionate about their team.  Most of us have seen what works and what doesn't work.  Back to your doctor analogy, if I could look inside my body(like we look out on a football field) and see that the particular antibiotic is not working, I would probably be inclined to suggest that we try something else.  If I had an infection and my doctor was giving me one antibiotic and then my insurance made me change doctors and he wanted to try a different antibiotic and it didn't work, I would probably be inclined to let him know that Doctor #1's treatment worked better.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: DB on November 28, 2006, 06:52:22 pm

I thought about putting a smiley but reality is that I am not altogether joking.  I continue to have the opinion that FF posters are some of the most intelligent football fans in the state.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.  However, I am not seriously saying that a search committee should come to me or RD or UI or any of us and ask us who they should hire.  I do, however, think superintendent John Doe, could come and read the boards and get ideas on some available coaches and how they are thought of.

I also don't think that the only reason administrators or coaches come to this board is just to monitor their students.  I think, for the most part, they are interested in what is being said here. 

So if I am on the search committee at Pottsville what I would be looking for.  First, I would evaluate where my community is and what the desires of the community are.  I would not be looking for a guy that I thought would keep everybody happy.  Ultimately, I would want a guy that could be successful and not do damage to my community.  I would look at the other schools in my conference and determine what type of coach could be successful in that conference.  I would prefer to have someone that was from the River Valley and would be interested in setting down roots in Pottsville.  I would look at the job as one that would garner strong interest from strong candidates.  I would put more emphasis on personal interviews than I would resumes.  I would want someone with energy.  I would want someone that the community would support.  I would want someone that see coaching as a calling and not a career.  I would prefer someone that is married and stable in his home life.  I would want someone who goes to church and wants not only to improve the football team but the community as well and is wise enough to see the connection between the two.

So would my current post serve as good advice to a search committee?  Listen, from what I know of Pottsville from playing baseball against them and knowing where the growth in the community is coming from.  And from talking to folks from Pottsville, there is a real desire to be competitive in football.  Pottsville's school district is seen as one of if not the best school district in the River Valley.  Something needs to change with the football program.  The administration there can't look at this as "just another hire."  They need to take it seriously.

Well, that's a nice offer, but if you'll look around, most superintendents in Arkansas were either former coaches, or have been in the education business so long they probably have better contacts than a message board with people with anonymous names who think they know more about the athletic programs than the people actually involved in the programs.

DB

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on November 29, 2006, 08:40:14 am
Well, that's a nice offer, but if you'll look around, most superintendents in Arkansas were either former coaches, or have been in the education business so long they probably have better contacts than a message board with people with anonymous names who think they know more about the athletic programs than the people actually involved in the programs.

For the most part, I would agree.  But I also think you can get into the good ole boy system too.  Some communities are fine with being mediocre.  My impression of Pottsville is that the community wants to be competitive.  Phil Collins was probably a good hire to get the program started.  But now, the natives(pardon the pun) are getting restless.  The people that I talk to over there are wanting a winner.  I think if they don't see some improvement, it could become an overwhelming focal point in the community.

Personally, I think the "people who think they know more about the athletic programs than the people actually involved in the programs" comment, is quite a bit of overkill.  I think a lot of administrators are extremely defensive when it comes to this stuff.  A lot of that probably has to do with over zealous parents or boosters who are very opinonated and are a little too willing to share their opinion.  But when an administrator gets stiff necked and unwilling to listen, it is a problem on his/her side. 

Trent Tipton is our new AD.  I have no inclination to thinking I know more than he does.  But I have seen an AD in Morrilton that I thought was an idiot and had his priorities all screwed up.  Of course that was just my opinion and I would not have minded sharing it with him.

asian sensation

How about trying this one. Get behind the coach and support him. It is hard for kids to respect a person that people are talking bad about. If they lose the respect they will not lay it on the line when the going gets tough. This is way you lost to teams that were equally as athletic as yours, the kids lost faith half way into the game. Sometimes coaches might make a bad call. Then again I'm sure you screw up on your job time to time and put the wrong soap in the dispenser or forget to refill the toilet paper.
The point is it all starts with attitude, support him for a couple of years and let the kids run the system and learn it. If you were a true fan and wanted what is best for the team stop bashing the coach, it rubs off on the players.

FreeMoney

Arthur-I couldn't agree with you more-This guy has gone from being overly opinionated to totally delusional. I think he really believes that people in power and decision making positions are going to listen to people like him.

DB

Quote from: FreeMoney on November 29, 2006, 09:35:52 am

Arthur-I couldn't agree with you more-This guy has gone from being overly opinionated to totally delusional. I think he really believes that people in power and decision making positions are going to listen to people like him.

Please reread the higlighted portion.....Slowly.

DB

Quote from: asian sensation on November 29, 2006, 09:26:54 am
How about trying this one. Get behind the coach and support him. It is hard for kids to respect a person that people are talking bad about. If they lose the respect they will not lay it on the line when the going gets tough. This is way you lost to teams that were equally as athletic as yours, the kids lost faith half way into the game. Sometimes coaches might make a bad call. Then again I'm sure you screw up on your job time to time and put the wrong soap in the dispenser or forget to refill the toilet paper.
The point is it all starts with attitude, support him for a couple of years and let the kids run the system and learn it. If you were a true fan and wanted what is best for the team stop bashing the coach, it rubs off on the players.

You're being way too defensive.  I guess I touched a nerve.

athletic supporter

DB,
You are suggesting something and then saying don't take me serious. Is that what I was supposed to get out of the highlighted portion of your post above? Why don't you just keep your mouth shut about coaching situations and support the kids? I'm sure the coaches (and the kids for that matter) wish you would just stay out of their business. Do you go to practice every day? If not, how do you know who is a good coach and who isn't? Things go on in practice every day that influence how coaches make decisions come game time. Quit supporting only the part of the team that you like and support the whole team.

BTW, when did Tipton become the AD? Did you approve of this move or were you even consulted beforehand?

DB

I guess I am going to have to dumb this down.  I do not think that an administrator should go to any one particular FF poster and humbly ask for advice.  However, I do think they could be well served by reading the boards and gathering opinions on various coaches.  For instance, if I were in an administrators position and looking for a coach, I would get real interested in Steve Janski. 

Now then, I can say one thing for the situation that you are really upset about, the guy has a loyal following on FF.  You guys are the ones that keep that stuff rolling.  Trust me, there is nobody on FF that supports the kids more than I do. 

I guess Tipton took over as AD this year.  In fact they did call me and asked me if I thought it would be okay for them to consider hiring Tipton as AD.  I sent some of the guys on FF a PM and we had a chat about it and thought it would be a good move for Morrilton.  So I gave my blessing and the administration took proper procedures in promoting him to AD.  Tipton called me and thanked me for giving him the opportunity to serve as AD.  I told him that he didn't need to thank me and he said that if I ever wanted a coach hired to let him know and he would see what he could do.

Did you laugh or at least chuckle at that?

asian sensation

athletic supporter

For instance, if I were in an administrators position and looking for a coach,

.....but you are not, so SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DB

Quote from: youthguy on November 29, 2006, 11:21:58 am
.....but you are not, so SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-X

Savvy??

;D ;D

gameoflife

Don't you think many schools have someone in mind when their coach is retiring?  Seems that if they are aware there will be a change, they would abe somewhat prepared.  On the other hand, I have seem some odd hires, and it seems the same schools are consistantly rehiring new coaches every few years.

FreeMoney

Quote from: DB on November 29, 2006, 10:43:25 am
I guess I am going to have to dumb this down.  I do not think that an administrator should go to any one particular FF poster and humbly ask for advice.  However, I do think they could be well served by reading the boards and gathering opinions on various coaches.  For instance, if I were in an administrators position and looking for a coach, I would get real interested in Steve Janski. 

Now then, I can say one thing for the situation that you are really upset about, the guy has a loyal following on FF.  You guys are the ones that keep that stuff rolling.  Trust me, there is nobody on FF that supports the kids more than I do. 

I guess Tipton took over as AD this year.  In fact they did call me and asked me if I thought it would be okay for them to consider hiring Tipton as AD.  I sent some of the guys on FF a PM and we had a chat about it and thought it would be a good move for Morrilton.  So I gave my blessing and the administration took proper procedures in promoting him to AD.  Tipton called me and thanked me for giving him the opportunity to serve as AD.  I told him that he didn't need to thank me and he said that if I ever wanted a coach hired to let him know and he would see what he could do.

Did you laugh or at least chuckle at that?
As I said earlier this guy is delusional. Tipton may have said it but he didn't mean it. You want us to believe that the powers in Morrilton buy Chap Stick by the bucket so when they are kissing your behind their lips don't get chapped. Trent Tipton is smarter than that.

DB

Quote from: endrun on November 29, 2006, 11:46:50 am
Don't you think many schools have someone in mind when their coach is retiring?  Seems that if they are aware there will be a change, they would abe somewhat prepared.  On the other hand, I have seem some odd hires, and it seems the same schools are consistantly rehiring new coaches every few years.

Good point.  Such is the state of HS football.  Communities and administrations are too willing to can a coach.  Or the opposite happens.  Sometimes, communities are forced to accept mediocrity because of political ties.  The flip side of that is that coaches do the same thing.  95% of head coaches are just waiting for someone to offer them a better situation.  It's kinda like remote control coaching.  As Seinfeld said, "we're not interested in what is on, we are interested in what ELSE is on."

footballfan-tastic

Coaches have to be careful of accepting the wrong job and of staying in the wrong job.  Some places hire new coaches in rapid succession because nobody wants to put up with some of the problems present in those districts.  So the coach leaves or the fans run them off because they don't win enough.  Some places are just so bad, they will not win without major changes in attitude.  Not many communities are going to change their attitude. 

WCD

Quote from: 48HAWK on October 25, 2006, 10:00:46 am
Looking for schools wanting to hire at semester.

Miami and Alabama are now hiring !

WCD ;D

ricefarmer

Quote from: endrun on November 29, 2006, 11:46:50 am
[/color]

or there are situations where a coach may be retiring and waits til like may or june so maybe they will just hire from within or move someone up.---so it could make it hard to find a new coach.

i have seen that at our school but that' s been about 13 yrs ago too.  i guees a coach or teacher would need to sign a contract before the summer kicks in too?? 

gameoflife

If I were hiring and had the prior knowledge of my present coach retiring or taking another job, I would be trying to hire at semester.  It gives the new HC the chance to get his program off the ground in the spring when it can see benefits by August.  Also new HC's sometimes find themselves in need of new staff, some coaches go with the past head coach, others don't want to work for a district that might have passed them up for the head job.    Waiting makes it harder on the coach and players.

Lance Bass

Quote from: endrun on November 30, 2006, 11:55:22 am
If I were hiring and had the prior knowledge of my present coach retiring or taking another job, I would be trying to hire at semester.  It gives the new HC the chance to get his program off the ground in the spring when it can see benefits by August.  Also new HC's sometimes find themselves in need of new staff, some coaches go with the past head coach, others don't want to work for a district that might have passed them up for the head job.    Waiting makes it harder on the coach and players.

That would be the ideal situation, but due to contracts that sometimes doesn't happen.

I knew a coach who had signed his contract in early June a few years ago.  About a  month later he was offered a nice job elsewhere...better location, more money, better district, etc.  The superintendent wouldn't let him out of his contract.  The rule was once you sign your contract you have 30 days to break it, after that you were locked in.  This coach was beyond the 30 days by only a few.

ricefarmer

If I were hiring and had the prior knowledge of my present coach retiring or taking another job, I would be trying to hire at semester.  It gives the new HC the chance to get his program off the ground in the spring when it can see benefits by August.  Also new HC's sometimes find themselves in need of new staff, some coaches go with the past head coach, others don't want to work for a district that might have passed them up for the head job.    Waiting makes it harder on the coach and players.[/color]

in our case i think our head coach waited on purpose like til the end of may and then retired or quit can't remember but then his long time coaching buddy basicaly took it from there b,c the school either couldnt find someone or there wasn't anyone out ther worth hiring.  we all thought so anyways.  i don't think the adminsration knew til the day he left too.   so they were in a bind.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Lance Bass on November 30, 2006, 06:08:55 pm

That would be the ideal situation, but due to contracts that sometimes doesn't happen.

I knew a coach who had signed his contract in early June a few years ago.  About a  month later he was offered a nice job elsewhere...better location, more money, better district, etc.  The superintendent wouldn't let him out of his contract.  The rule was once you sign your contract you have 30 days to break it, after that you were locked in.  This coach was beyond the 30 days by only a few.

You're close.  When your school offers you a contract, you have 30 days to sign it.  Once you sign it, the only way you can get out of it is if your school board votes to let you out of it.  Most coaches (and teachers in general) hold their contract until the last moment because of this.

CoachH.

Any coaching positions going to open in Northeast Arkansas?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas