• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

im a deepsnapper interested in playing at the next level

Started by billies_champs, September 13, 2006, 10:46:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

billies_champs

Uncle Ivan

Just do your job and work hard at it.

If you're a good deep-snapper, you'll get noticed.  Everyone needs them.

DB

You've got to understand, college coaches time deep snaps the same way that they do 40 times.  Brett Goode is at Fayetteville right now on scholarship as a deep snapper.  Heck, who knows, he may make a living at it someday.  It is one of those things that a person can simply be dedicated to doing and make a living with it.  The Dallas Cowboys had a guy for maybe 15 years that all he did was deep snapping.

The Professor

I'll be the first to admit that a good deep snapper is essential for a team to have success.  A miscue on special teams has costed many teams a victory.  What I don't know is the likelyhood of someone getting recruited just to snap.  I'm not saying that it hasn't happened before I just didn't know how often.  Aren't colleges are only allowed 66 scholarships/team? (I think)That's not a lot when you think about it.

not ray

Not a lot recruit them and give them scholarships coming in, but they do invite them to walk-on.  If you are invited as a walk-on you must wait until your second semester of your sophomore year to get the scholarship.  There are camps for deep snappers and a lot of player camps have coaches that are there specifically to coach snappers.  Brett Goode learned from Benji Mahan a former deep snapper from Arkansas that coached at Northside and Southside.  A good suggestion is to speak with your coach about any camps that you might attend.  There are some out there and might be worth your time to go and see what exactly it is that colleges are looking for. 

Made

Quote from: The Professor on September 14, 2006, 08:38:58 am
I'll be the first to admit that a good deep snapper is essential for a team to have success.  A miscue on special teams has costed many teams a victory.  What I don't know is the likelyhood of someone getting recruited just to snap.  I'm not saying that it hasn't happened before I just didn't know how often.  Aren't colleges are only allowed 66 scholarships/team? (I think)That's not a lot when you think about it.

I thought they were allowed more than that yet they can only dress 65....I was thinking more along the lines of 85.  Then again I have been known to be wrong.

not ray

D-1 schools are allowed 85 scholarships.  It would next to impossible to get a scholarship as a deep snapper coming in.  Brett Goode was an invited walk on and earned his scholarship.  If you are invited as the walk on and end up being the starter at that position they will likely scholarship you.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas