• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE HORNETS ARE BACK FOR ANOTHER LONG SEASON

Started by hghofficial, July 30, 2006, 12:33:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hghofficial

Talked to some of the hornet players, there not expecting to many wins this year.

IAFLAR7

Really?

Somehow I don't believe that.

This team reminds me of the 1999 team going into the season. Lots of lineman back, a new qb (but thats OK - the QB's in this system are well prepared), good receivers & a good soph running back. On defense you have some decent lineman back and a good linebacker.

Just like 1999:

Lineman returning
New qb - McCoy
Good receivers (Brown)
Good soph running back (white)
Good line on D - McClellan/Defoe
Good LB - Jake
Expectations:  Last in conference

So, everyone just keep thinking they are going to finish last. I've come to realize anytime Bryant has a rebuilding year there are a lot of assumptions that other teams are better - you know, the Russellville's, Cabot's, etc. So we'll see. I don't see any team on that schedule that Bryant could not beat. Doesn't mean they will win them all but they can beat any of those teams.

fbgirl

The biggest loss may have been Jared McBride!

LRSports

Bryant has never been overlooked...to much talent returns each year.  They sound like most teams in a very tuff conf...lot of changes and new comers each year...I don't see a clear cut front runner this year, this will be the type year for solid coaching and which team plays as a team...WIDE OPEN!!!

Walter

Bryant before 98 99 was always overlooked and justifiably so. Now I doubt that they are ever over looked now and I doubt the players think they will lose a single game. I wont know how they will be until I see them play a game or two but I sure believe they will be among the top teams of their conference, and I'll wager Calley has his kids thinking they can win it all at this point.

LRSports

Dropped by Central 2-a-days today and I will have to say they looked better than they did at this time last year...still lot of questions but ahead of last year, and I agree it will take a couple of games before eather team knows what kind of season they will have. I always look forward to Bryant/Central game, 2 quality programs.

Hornet31

I tell u wat everybody has us as the underdogs.All that does movtivates us to get better at things.Were workin hard as possible to get in shape and down to the fundamentals of football.So were goin to use two quarterbacks, just thought everyone should no that.I am a HORNET player.

fbgirl

Quote from: Hornet31 on August 02, 2006, 08:26:03 pm
I tell u wat everybody has us as the underdogs.All that does movtivates us to get better at things.Were workin hard as possible to get in shape and down to the fundamentals of football.So were goin to use two quarterbacks, just thought everyone should no that.I am a HORNET player.

That will be a new set.  How will he 2 QB's line up.

Walter

Hornet31 Parker is the name of one of the QBs but what is the name of the other. Parker is a Sr. is the other a Jr. BTW good luck on the season. I will be looking for you at the Benton game.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: SardisHog on August 03, 2006, 06:22:05 am

Hornet31 Parker is the name of one of the QBs but what is the name of the other. Parker is a Sr. is the other a Jr. BTW good luck on the season. I will be looking for you at the Benton game.
No, Logan Parker is a junior. The other QB (not sure of name) is a senior.

tcockerham

I thought Scheffer was going to QB for Bryant?  Of what I hear Bryant will have a decent team this year.  Might struggle again at the kicking game but according to the coaches they have a chance to be better than last year.

NewMiner

I came from Bryant. Play for Bauxite now,.. but the senior is Matt Schrader. Junior is Logan Parker... they'll have a great team this year and next. As everyone said, they're not to be overlooked.

NewMiner

and HGHofficial... maybe you should talk to the people who care about the program and don't mess around when being taught and working. Calley has the boys in good shape.. they're thinking as high as possible.

Hornet31

Guess wat babe were goin 2 kick some Panther butt. The  name is Dijon Benton trust me you wont have 2 look for me i'll find u.I plan on catching an interception on Benton and takin it 2 the house.

NewMiner

hornet2

Bryant's secondary is inexperienced and the two QB's are inexperienced, but I can not think of any other weakness and in fact, I have been told that my hornets are 2 deep in every other position on the team and in some positions they are 3 deep and the coaches are trying to figure out a way to keep some of the talented young players happy. The fact is that Bryant football is on very solid ground with talent deep in the 9th, 10th, and 11th grades and a small group of talented seniors (around 12 to 18). However, these other classes all have 40 or more with half of them being really talented. That is a lot of talent. I have also heard that the amount of players signed up for 7th and 8th grade football is astounding too. With the fine coaching staff that we have, I look for Bryant to win the state in the next 5 years and go to the playoffs 10 years in a row (we currently have gone 5 years in a row). By the way, since 1999 no team has ever beaten the hornets by over 18 points. Last year Catholic beat us by 17 and every other loss was by 7 or less points. Can any other team in highschool football say that about their team since 1999?

IAFLAR7

August 07, 2006, 10:00:33 am #16 Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:02:19 am by salinecountyfan
Quote from: hornet2 on August 06, 2006, 10:48:48 pm
Bryant's secondary is inexperienced and the two QB's are inexperienced, but I can not think of any other weakness and in fact, I have been told that my hornets are 2 deep in every other position on the team and in some positions they are 3 deep and the coaches are trying to figure out a way to keep some of the talented young players happy. The fact is that Bryant football is on very solid ground with talent deep in the 9th, 10th, and 11th grades and a small group of talented seniors (around 12 to 18). However, these other classes all have 40 or more with half of them being really talented. That is a lot of talent. I have also heard that the amount of players signed up for 7th and 8th grade football is astounding too. With the fine coaching staff that we have, I look for Bryant to win the state in the next 5 years and go to the playoffs 10 years in a row (we currently have gone 5 years in a row). By the way, since 1999 no team has ever beaten the hornets by over 18 points. Last year Catholic beat us by 17 and every other loss was by 7 or less points. Can any other team in highschool football say that about their team since 1999?

That is an interesting stat regarding Bryant not getting beat by more than 18 since 1998. There have not been too many games over the past 7 years that I did not feel Bryant could have won. Bryant has definitely come a long way & the numbers are definitely there at each level within the program.

However, you may have a different definition of talent than others - and don't take that the wrong way. I am sure you are looking at it from the perspective of - "a good portion of the team at each level appear to be major contributors". The bottom line is, Bryant although they are a force to reckoned with in any game, have not produced any division 1 prospects of any significance during this run. As a matter of fact the last legitimate D1 prospect was probably Scott Summers in 97/98 (not sure of the exact time frame). I think Hollis would have been had he been taller. And of course Parker was signed by Vanderbilt. However.....Well, lets just leave it at that on that one.....
And I know, someone is going to get on here after this (probably Cabot fan) and proclaim "you don't have to have D1 prospects to win it all". But I am here to tell you, IMHO that is the exception and until we start seeing the kind of talent at Bryant that attracts D1 attention, they may not get over the hump and win that title. We have the numbers, the fan support, the coaches, a good system. etc. - some D1 type talent every now and then could/will be the difference maker for this program.

I am curious and I don't even know if you will answer this, how may of the projected starting receivers and even the receivers expected to contribute play baseball? Are there any that do not?

hornet2

Quote from: salinecountyfan on August 07, 2006, 10:00:33 am
Quote from: hornet2 on August 06, 2006, 10:48:48 pm

That is an interesting stat regarding Bryant not getting beat by more than 18 since 1998. There have not been too many games over the past 7 years that I did not feel Bryant could have won. Bryant has definitely come a long way & the numbers are definitely there at each level within the program.

However, you may have a different definition of talent than others - and don't take that the wrong way. I am sure you are looking at it from the perspective of - "a good portion of the team at each level appear to be major contributors". The bottom line is, Bryant although they are a force to reckoned with in any game, have not produced any division 1 prospects of any significance during this run. As a matter of fact the last legitimate D1 prospect was probably Scott Summers in 97/98 (not sure of the exact time frame). I think Hollis would have been had he been taller. And of course Parker was signed by Vanderbilt. However.....Well, lets just leave it at that on that one.....
And I know, someone is going to get on here after this (probably Cabot fan) and proclaim "you don't have to have D1 prospects to win it all". But I am here to tell you, IMHO that is the exception and until we start seeing the kind of talent at Bryant that attracts D1 attention, they may not get over the hump and win that title. We have the numbers, the fan support, the coaches, a good system. etc. - some D1 type talent every now and then could/will be the difference maker for this program.

I am curious and I don't even know if you will answer this, how may of the projected starting receivers and even the receivers expected to contribute play baseball? Are there any that do not?

D1 prospects at Bryant. How about Cody Williams? I know there were some players like Anthony Mask and others that have gone to other college programs that are not D1 and that still does represent talent. I have been told that every starting QB at Bryant since 98 has been given scholarship offers at colleges. I can not verify that, but that is what I have been told. As far as winning the state, I think the 1999 and 2004 teams had the ability to win the state and the 1999 team actually lost to the eventually state champion (northside) and the 2004 team proved by beating Central that they were capable of winning it all. I think the talent in on our campus now to win the state title in the next few years and since 4 of our last 6 playoff losses have come against Northside and W. Memphis, I think that we will make it to the final game in the next two years if we can just get put in a bracket opposite to Northside and I am glad that W. Memphis is no longer going to bother us. And you are right about the Cabot fan, I will agree with him that you can win it all without a bunch of talent. Cabot did it in 2000. Bryant has never lost to Parkview but how many players did Parkview put up at the Univ of Ark?

IAFLAR7

I'll have to say, you make some good points. Bryant has had several players receive scholarships to non-D1 schools around Arkansas. And that certainly means they have talent.
I agree about 1999 and 2004. Both teams could have won it. More so 1999 - that team just always stand out to me. That Northside game still bothers me.
What about Atkinson this year. Is he a potential prospect? Seems to have the size.

hornet2

Quote from: salinecountyfan on August 08, 2006, 10:19:52 am
I'll have to say, you make some good points. Bryant has had several players receive scholarships to non-D1 schools around Arkansas. And that certainly means they have talent.
I agree about 1999 and 2004. Both teams could have won it. More so 1999 - that team just always stand out to me. That Northside game still bothers me.
What about Atkinson this year. Is he a potential prospect? Seems to have the size.

Atkinson will be a D1 prospect if continues to improve and doesn't get hurt. How much improvement to get the attention of D1 colleges is something I can not answer. Alot of D1 schools offer their scholarships early but many times they save some scholarships especially for linemen because many times linemen will develop more in their senior year than the previous two years. I am feeling really good about my hornets, and I think this could be a year like 1999 or 2004 and if it isn't then I suspect that 2007 or 2008 will be. I have seen a lot of teams at Bryant through the years and their was always the problem of depth, but that is very far from the truth this year. I truly don't know if other schools like Fayetteville and the old Springdale were always two or three deep at certain positions but that has never been the case at Bryant. I think the rash of injuries last year forced the coaching staff to play many more players last year and they were surprised at how well these subs stepped up to the plate. Now maybe with all this surge of talent they will start to play more players in order to keep the players happy. I will never forget a case about 4 years ago when our coach in a JV game against NLR failed to play any subs since we were behind 14-0 nothing and the Bryant JV came back and won 15-14 in 39 degree weather and the next day a coach (no longer here) was so happy but around 18 sophmores almost quit the team since that was their last game of the year. Only 4 quit and of the 14 that stayed, around 4 all conference players came out of that group. That proves my point, that no one will remember the score of the 2002 Bryant JV v. NLR game, but it was important to those players to get on the field. I think you will see a lot more players on the field for Bryant this year and as a result, you will see more second half comebacks too and the morale of the team will be better too since more players will be getting in.

hornet2

By the way, Coach Marc Jones of Benton is not one of the coaches that believes in playing lots of players and this year he will probably play several players both ways since he does not trust players unless they have experience. I look for Bryant to kill Benton in the 2nd half since Benton's players will be winded. I can't wait.

wampuscatblue

hornet2

Quote from: wampuscatblue on August 08, 2006, 11:05:29 pm
Bryant will be tough as always

No matter what happens this year, I know that the home team always wins the Conway v Bryant game. At least I have never witnessed anything but that.

mulelady

[/quote]

To answer this specific question:  There are five baseball players from the 2005-2006 HS team that still also play football:  Jake Jackson, Logan Cruse, Jordan Knight, Nathan Probst and Trent Daniel.  I don't think there is anyone else left.  Nick Suggs quit football last week.  Of course, after football season is over, there will be several sophs trying out for baseball. 

IAFLAR7

August 10, 2006, 08:09:12 am #24 Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:05:56 am by SardisHog
Quote from: hornet2 on August 09, 2006, 02:54:59 pm
Quote from: wampuscatblue on August 08, 2006, 11:05:29 pm
Bryant will be tough as always

No matter what happens this year, I know that the home team always wins the Conway v Bryant game. At least I have never witnessed anything but that.
In 1999 Bryant won @ Conway 30-15. This was the first game of the season.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: mulelady on August 09, 2006, 05:00:18 pm

To answer this specific question:  There are five baseball players from the 2005-2006 HS team that still also play football:  Jake Jackson, Logan Cruse, Jordan Knight, Nathan Probst and Trent Daniel.  I don't think there is anyone else left.  Nick Suggs quit football last week.  Of course, after football season is over, there will be several sophs trying out for baseball. 
[/quote]
And of these five are they receivers? Are there any receivers that play that do not play baseball?
I've just heard that there is a bias towards the baseball players since the receivers coach is a baseball coach.

football2

Quote from: salinecountyfan on August 10, 2006, 08:11:25 am
Quote from: mulelady on August 09, 2006, 05:00:18 pm

And of these five are they receivers? Are there any receivers that play that do not play baseball?
I've just heard that there is a bias towards the baseball players since the receivers coach is a baseball coach.
[/quote]

That's crazy! Only two of the five mentioned even play receiver, and they are pretty good. The rest of the receivers do not even play baseball. There is no bias.

mulelady

Besides that, the receivers' coach is not the only one who decides who plays receiver.  Last year it was Coach McBride and Coach Calley who made that decision.  This year it will most likely be Coach Coatney and Coach Calley.  Yes, my child is a receiver/baseball player for those of you who know me.

Hornet31

hornet2

I predict that Bryant will win 6 to 8 games in the regular season and advance in the playoffs and next year I think they win the state because of all the juniors and sophmores that will play key roles this year and get experience. Benton will win 6 games this year and possibly more. It all comes down to if there senior class steps up this year.

tcockerham

Bryant will thump Benton this year.  But sorry, they will not win the state next year.  Does anybody know where Josh Langly ended up going to college?

Cabotfan

Quote from: SavedbyHim on August 11, 2006, 03:30:30 pm
Bryant will thump Benton this year.  But sorry, they will not win the state next year.  Does anybody know where Josh Langly ended up going to college?
Was Langly Benton's QB? Didn't he end up at ATU?

tcockerham

Yes, he was Benton's QB.  I had heard he was going to ATU but I think he has changed his mind.  At least I have not heard of him showing up at ATU.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas