• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach's please answer this ?

Started by #24, May 01, 2006, 02:53:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If you knew for 100%, that a player  or players were using steroids, would you talk the kid out of using or look the other way?

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: #24 on May 01, 2006, 02:53:07 pm
If you knew for 100%, that a player or players were using steroids, would you talk the kid out of using or look the other way?

Never coached anyone that is even in puberty.... BUT i would say YES.  The coach has an OBLIGATION to address the student, and possibly administrators--- especially with school drug testing policies in place.

Lions84

I would talk to him , his Parents, Admin and try to get him professional help.

spoony luv

Fife1

I am a coach and yes you absolutely have to talk to the player. He is not only destroying his body but it is a moral issue. Do you allow you players to take short cuts or do you teach them right from wrong?

CoachBates

I'd say....talk to him...without a doubt....he's doing damage to his body that a high school kid cannot comprehend.  Get whoever you have to get involved to get the kid back on track.

futurecoach

You have to talk to him, his parents and admins.  As others have stated, a high schooler doesn't know what he is doing.  In the extreme, and documented, situation you can literally blow up you muscles.

Lions84

Quote from: spoony luv on May 02, 2006, 05:07:38 pm
after the season, right?

NO as soon as I find out! That stuff can KILL YOU!

bowlegs

Well ole Bowlegs would'nt be what he is today if not for the juice,

wheeels

I know a parent that says he is going to give his son steroids.

bowlegs

I dont see anything wrong with that ;D

OldRetired1

A coach should CONSTANTLY educate his athlete on proper lifting, nutrition, and rest.  Perfomance enhancing substances should be included in the education.  A coach should make it a point to know what his athlete's are taking even if it is just protein shakes or amino acid pills.

Pirateplaya

Question of my own realted to this...So what if the athlete came to you about his steroid problem, abuse, or something of that nature? Would you kick the kid off the team if he came wanting help or let him slide on the next drug test? Or try and help him and if a drug test came around just let him get a life lesson about why not to do drugs of anykind? I personally knew a kid who somewhat had this problem, he ended up just dropping out of sports all together. He was a phenomenal athlete anyway but i guess he thought he needed more, i dunno 100%. I told him though the coaches might cut him some slack and help him if he would just tell them, so would i have been right or wrong?

wawa111

If you know for sure you better do everything you can to stop it. If something happens and people find out you knew then they are gonna ask if you are the guy that should be coaching and caring for their kids. I say you not only talk to him, but his parents and others that could put a stop to it.

bb-x

It's against the rules.... and doesn't give the kids that are following the rules a fair shake. Yes you turn it in.

MIAMI_CANES

i think u let him/her get caught with a drug test and show them humilaty to make them grow not only as a young man/woman and to obey the rules by serving the penalty.

StudentoftheGame

Blame is always going to be placed on the coach, if a player is using steroids.  Coaches assume that responsibility when signing a contract.  Most parents hold the coach liable for any and everything that happens to their kids, dealing with the sport.

ColtCenter69

BJ Mays from Gosnell was juicing for his entire football career he was a great athlete.  everyone knew he was on it.......his dad the coaches everyone.  I think he stopped using after highschool and now is healthy and successfull.  There is a right and wrong way to do it.........He had adults helping him with his cycles and his lifting.  You guys are full of crap if you had a guy ripping ppls heads off on D and running over everyone on O you wouldnt say anything dont lie!

arreferee

Quote from: StudentoftheGame on June 17, 2006, 05:51:07 pm
Blame is always going to be placed on the coach, if a player is using steroids.  Coaches assume that responsibility when signing a contract.  Most parents hold the coach liable for any and everything that happens to their kids, dealing with the sport.

Unfortunately, that's right in today's society...no one wants to be responsible for their own actions.

Now, if the coach knew about it and still did nothing, the coach shares the blame.

Dashtradition55

Quote from: ColtCenter69 on August 17, 2006, 04:04:57 pm
BJ Mays from Gosnell was juicing for his entire football career he was a great athlete.  everyone knew he was on it.......his dad the coaches everyone.  I think he stopped using after highschool and now is healthy and successfull.  There is a right and wrong way to do it.........He had adults helping him with his cycles and his lifting.  You guys are full of crap if you had a guy ripping ppls heads off on D and running over everyone on O you wouldnt say anything dont lie!

I agree, most people know when a kid is on roids. If you do it safely and are not going to end up permantly addited, you can become a moster of a player and who isn't looking for an advanage? EVERYONE!!!

Lions84

Quote from: Dashtradition55 on August 31, 2006, 01:54:54 am
Quote from: ColtCenter69 on August 17, 2006, 04:04:57 pm

I agree, most people know when a kid is on roids. If you do it safely and are not going to end up permantly addited, you can become a moster of a player and who isn't looking for an advanage? EVERYONE!!!

It still doen't make it right.  So Mays is healthy NOW let's see if he lives to be 40!  I'm tell ya that stuff is a cheap short cut that will shorted your life!!.

Discobolus

Good grief people, I'm by no means advocating the use of anabolic steroids, but they aren't exactly as dangerous as the mass media makes them out to be.  I'd be a lot more worried about the side effects of catabolic steroids (i.e. "dose packs", prednisone, etc.) that get handed out like candy when a player gets injured. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas