• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

faster fourty times

Started by bigelowpanthers_30, March 05, 2006, 08:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigelowpanthers_30

Are there any tips any one can give me for running a faster forty? I currently run a 5.0 forty do I need to improve or just attempt to get down to the 4.6-4.9 range?

OldRetired1

1) Work the powerful, explosive lifts -- power clean, snatch, and squat

2) Proper Nutrition

3) Rest and Recovery

4) Spend each day doing starts -- a good start can cut .25 off your time

5) Everytime you run -- run fast!  You have to train your fast-twitch muscle.  I suggest running sprints no longer than 70 yards.  There is a place for long distance running.  But that trains more slow-twitch muscle than fast-twitch.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: OldRetired1 on March 15, 2006, 01:43:10 pm

2) Proper Nutrition

3) Rest and Recovery

5) Everytime you run -- run fast!  You have to train your fast-twitch muscle.  I suggest running sprints no longer than 70 yards.  There is a place for long distance running.  But that trains more slow-twitch muscle than fast-twitch.

My only suggestion is to run tons of 45 yard sprints, instead of up to 70 yards.  As he said, wake up and train the fast twitch muscles.

bigelowpanthers_30

DanvilleHeadBuster

Thanx for all the suggestions on these threads Iam going to try it out and see what happens. I been asking around to my piers but no one knew.

Blue Collar

Now i know what i need to do now to get bettter on my sprints.

Cambodian Midget

Another good tip is to increase your flexibility.  If you're already fairly flexible then you won't really shave all that much time off, however if your flexibility could use work its probably one of the easiest ways to increase your stride and increase your 40 time.  You'll be helping all around football skills too, not to mention reducing your chance of injury.

billsweeter

Start and form can be huge but if u are in the NW region of Arkansas there is going to be a 8-week program at springdale that is supposed to knock anywhere from 2-4 tenths off ur 40 could be more or less depending on how good u currently are

CoachBates

May 03, 2006, 10:31:16 am #8 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:33:26 am by CoachBates
Also.....STRETCH YOUR HIP FLEXORS....
run with a sled and/or parachute ......

these two things make a difference coupled with proper lifting....

our average forty time has dropped by a tenth of a second with some guys improving as much as 3 tenths....
one kid ran a 4.65 last year and last week was clocked at a 4.44.  he can consistently run in the 4.5 range.

BIGBLUE

practise running in a straight line not meant to be smart try it, have somebody watch your feet I was suprised

Horrendous

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on March 15, 2006, 10:24:52 pm

2) Proper Nutrition

3) Rest and Recovery

My only suggestion is to run tons of 45 yard sprints, instead of up to 70 yards.  As he said, wake up and train the fast twitch muscles.
i'll start doing that during the summer.

Fatfullback

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on March 15, 2006, 10:24:52 pm

2) Proper Nutrition

3) Rest and Recovery

Were you pretty quick in the forty Art?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas