• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ADG Super 6

Started by JimmyChitwood, January 15, 2018, 11:58:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

4real

Quote from: Daddy eagle on January 16, 2018, 12:27:12 pm
your crazy. NCAA and NBA teams are far and away better then in the 80's barn none.
Negative Ghostrider. Way to young and watered down today.  Shooting is nowhere what it was back then, either. So many great players, and when I say great, I mean top 50 all time players back in the 80's, and several great programs, not just 3.
From the top:
Lakers - Magic, Kareem, Worthy
Celtics - Bird, Parrish, McHale, DJ
Pistons - Isaiah, Joe D, Rodman
Sixers - Barkley, and a guy named Dr. J
Bulls - Young Jordan and Pippen
Rockets - twin towers
Knicks - Ewing & co.

Most stars in today's NBA would've been option 4-6 for the Showtime Lakers, outside of LeBron.
College Ball was better too, simply due to the fact that kids didn't go to the NBA till after the Jr or Sr year, and they were much more developed by that point.  DUH.  There was more parity then too.

4real

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 16, 2018, 01:43:52 pm
Did you ever see Larry or MJ or Magic "sit" a game?? MJ played a game with the flu! The Legend was in traction and came back to play every day for 2 seasons! The NBA is weak! Talent and athleticism don't make great teams. Heart, effort, smarts, grittiness along with fundamental skill make great teams.
yup yup.  Except i disagree with your talent and athleticism statement... athleticism doesn't equal talent. As MJ state, success takes talent and leadership.   

JimmyChitwood

Well when I say talent, I mean natural ability to perform in a sport. Maybe I should say raw talent. But I totally agree with you.

4real

While we are on the topic of comparing the 80's gilded age of Hoops to the modern era, I have one more reason to testify to the watered down presence of the modern league...

4real:  Hey, babe, wanna watch the game tonight after the kids are in bed?  It's the playoffs

Babe:  Yeah, sure sweetie. So long as you make me something to drink.

4real:  OK, great.  I'll have it mixed up when you come down stairs!  Popcorn too!

Game is now on TV.  late 1st qtr...
Babe:  Sweetie, this is not any fun to watch.  They don't even play very hard.  And hardly any of these guys can make a wide open 3, much less a mid range off the dribble.

4real:  Well, babe, they do play pretty hard on defense.  Curry and Thompson will heat up in a minute.
Babe:  How long is it gonna take them to heat up.  It's not like they are playing against BadBoy pistons defense! 
4real:  I understand babe.  It is kind of watered down.
Halftime
Babe: Jeez, these guys suck.  Nothing like watching it back in the 80's, or even 90's for that matter.  Miss those days. Lakers would've killed these guys!   I'm done with my drink and headed to bed sweetie.

thebigman3

Y'all still talking abt all stars back then. I'm not saying the every all star then is better than every all star now. I'm saying the NBA AS A WHOLE. REPEAT THE NBA AS A WHOLE. is better. Some great stars were born in the 80s. But in the same sentence. There not allowed to play like the did back in the day. The talent is there trust me.

JimmyChitwood

The raw talent is there. The heart and effort and enthusiasm and toughness and meanness aren't there whatsoever making it less desirable to follow for those spoiled to hard nosed fundamental basketball. I have to watch hardwood classics to enjoy a game.

Backboard Shattered

So much more fun to watch back then glad I grew up getting to watch the best haven't made it through a whole NBA game in 3 yrs!  It flat out sucks now

SackAttack

Can we get back on track here? Yall always slamming me and my sidekick Backboard for getting off topic and then we take the ADG Top 6 and start discussing the merits of modern day NBA basketball versus the golden era of 80-s and 90's. So I take any further criticism of derailment no further than the dirty socks I just threw away but can still smell but wish I couldnt. Im still waiting to discuss some serious basketball principles. I offered yall passed so I win and who woulda been surprised anyway!

HorseFeathers

How many NBA players are playing on a team in the super 6?

not so slim shady

If backboard hadn't had a back and knee injury he might've made it to the nba in the 80's. He was like a 6'5 white Rick Mahorn.

4real

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on January 16, 2018, 04:30:27 pm
So much more fun to watch back then glad I grew up getting to watch the best haven't made it through a whole NBA game in 3 yrs!  It flat out sucks now
curious... could this go down as the most normal person quote in the history of Backboard Shattered?  Great point sir!

4real

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 16, 2018, 03:40:26 pm
Y'all still talking abt all stars back then. I'm not saying the every all star then is better than every all star now. I'm saying the NBA AS A WHOLE. REPEAT THE NBA AS A WHOLE. is better. Some great stars were born in the 80s. But in the same sentence. There not allowed to play like the did back in the day. The talent is there trust me.
obviously, your parents hadn't met and jingled yet prior to 1998.
Let's do some math: 30 nba teams today with 14 players per team. 23 teams in 1985. 7 extra teams today times the 14 players per team, and you got almost 100 NBA players today that wouldn't have ever made the cut in 1985. So, much better all stars, much better role players, better depth, better teams, better joy. Not to mention The Laker girls

4real

BTW, this got hijacked for a very important reason. The sanctity of the game is at stake here

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: not so slim shady on January 16, 2018, 07:54:50 pm
If backboard hadn't had a back and knee injury he might've made it to the nba in the 80's. He was like a 6'5 white Rick Mahorn.
If Rick Mabighorn and Bill  Lemmebringmeabeer had a kid they would have had me!  You must of seen some film Shady or perhaps watched a couple of games!  Thanks for the compliment. 

RedWolf275

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 16, 2018, 01:21:47 pm
People are prisoners of the moment. Whatever they see right in front of them is what they think is best.

+1 on that Jimmy

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: 4real on January 16, 2018, 11:15:23 pm
obviously, your parents hadn't met and jingled yet prior to 1998.
Let's do some math: 30 nba teams today with 14 players per team. 23 teams in 1985. 7 extra teams today times the 14 players per team, and you got almost 100 NBA players today that wouldn't have ever made the cut in 1985. So, much better all stars, much better role players, better depth, better teams, better joy. Not to mention The Laker girls
Facts!!!!!! Bigman was prob born in the 2000s

4real

thebigman3

No, ya'll are just not listening to what I'm saying. Ya'll are acting like the NBA now is just awful and that everybody sucks. You all clearly do not keep up with it or pay attention. The fact of the matter is, is that the talent is there, but they are not allowed to play like they did back in the day. Plain and simple. If you do a such thing as "Jordan rules" you get tossed out now. 21 techs and 5 ejections the other night? That right there explains what I am saying.

4real

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 17, 2018, 08:51:29 am
No, ya'll are just not listening to what I'm saying. Ya'll are acting like the NBA now is just awful and that everybody sucks. You all clearly do not keep up with it or pay attention. The fact of the matter is, is that the talent is there, but they are not allowed to play like they did back in the day. Plain and simple. If you do a such thing as "Jordan rules" you get tossed out now. 21 techs and 5 ejections the other night? That right there explains what I am saying.
That's also why its easier to score now.

thebigman3

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:19:33 am
That's also why its easier to score now.
Exactly, there comes a point where you gotta realize the NBA is a business as well. People want to see high scoring games. Nobody wants to see  defensive game these days they would rather see guys knocking to down from 3 or driving the lane to dunk it. Like backboard did.

4real

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 17, 2018, 09:25:16 am
Exactly, there comes a point where you gotta realize the NBA is a business as well. People want to see high scoring games. Nobody wants to see  defensive game these days they would rather see guys knocking to down from 3 or driving the lane to dunk it. Like backboard did.
I appreciate your business pov.  No doubt.  That's why Geno suggested womens rim down to 9', mens shot clock down to 24 sec in college, etc.
On the flip side, isn't it amazing to think about how those guys in the 80's consistently scored in the 100's, both teams, getting to play defense the way they did!

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:30:54 am
I appreciate your business pov.  No doubt.  That's why Geno suggested womens rim down to 9', mens shot clock down to 24 sec in college, etc.
On the flip side, isn't it amazing to think about how those guys in the 80's consistently scored in the 100's, both teams, getting to play defense the way they did!
Great post!  80s and 90s has it all

4real

My brotha B.S., can i get an AAAAmen!  can i get a Hallllalueyah!  Can I get a preach it brother!  Ohhhh, i can fill the spirit of the hoops Lord, and it fills me up! 

4real

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on January 17, 2018, 09:40:14 am
Great post!  80s and 90s has it all
Don't neglect to mention that the 80's also had the Lakers Girls and Paula Abdul...

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:42:38 am
My brotha B.S., can i get an AAAAmen!  can i get a Hallllalueyah!  Can I get a preach it brother!  Ohhhh, i can fill the spirit of the hoops Lord, and it fills me up!
Quad A action Boss

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:43:39 am
Don't neglect to mention that the 80's also had the Lakers Girls and Paula Abdul...
And don't forget the man, the myth, the Legend, The Hick from French Lick, Larry Legend, the all time greatest man to ever pick up a basketball, #33 Laaaaaaary Biiiiiirrrrrrrrdd.

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: Daddy eagle on January 17, 2018, 12:11:02 pm
please shut up
I know living in the Sportsman's lodge for so long can wear on a man's mind but don't let it get to you! At least you have Travis Gentry to think about!

not so slim shady

How did some of these 'New' NBA players even score before the EURO Step anyway???

thebigman3

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 17, 2018, 12:03:09 pm
And don't forget the man, the myth, the Legend, The Hick from French Lick, Larry Legend, the all time greatest man to ever pick up a basketball, #33 Laaaaaaary Biiiiiirrrrrrrrdd.
Best white guy to ever play..

PeedeecreekBoy99

daddy eagle was seen downtown Shirley this morning wearing that Shirley blue. I was surprised to see it

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 17, 2018, 12:53:59 pm
Best white guy to ever play..
Tired of hearing best white guy to play. If I had to draft a team picking from a pool of players of all time, I would pick Bird. Simple as that. He makes people around him better. He rebounds, passes, shoots, plays hard nosed defense. He wanted to win worse than anyone out there. Now everyone has their own opinion. But for some reason people think a white dude cant be the greatest! And if I hear an argument for the goat, I want it to include MJ which I can very well see being the goat. I don't wanna hear this Lebron BS that I get all the time. Remember what I said earlier, PRISONERS OF THE MOMENT.

thebigman3

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 17, 2018, 01:12:09 pm
Tired of hearing best white guy to play. If I had to draft a team picking from a pool of players of all time, I would pick Bird. Simple as that. He makes people around him better. He rebounds, passes, shoots, plays hard nosed defense. He wanted to win worse than anyone out there. Now everyone has their own opinion. But for some reason people think a white dude cant be the greatest! And if I hear an argument for the goat, I want it to include MJ which I can very well see being the goat. I don't wanna hear this Lebron BS that I get all the time. Remember what I said earlier, PRISONERS OF THE MOMENT.
But umm yeah.. ICC, Guy, Omaha, CL, Kirby, and Concord are my top 6..

SackAttack

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:42:38 am
Ok since I get all the blame for hijacking threads Ill get in on it if you know what I mean! HYROKEN with 83 sidestraddlin pelvic pops added! Now thats some excitement for you that few can understand or even want to

4real

Quote from: SackAttack on January 17, 2018, 01:39:55 pm
Ok since I get all the blame for hijacking threads Ill get in on it if you know what I mean! HYROKEN with 83 sidestraddlin pelvic pops added! Now thats some excitement for you that few can understand or even want to
that is poetic stimulation

4real

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 17, 2018, 01:12:09 pm
good thoughts, Jimbo. There was also a guy called mr Clutch that could play too.  Drazen Petrovich died too young.  Just started to find his groove when the car crash happened.

Backboard Shattered

I'd take Bird he could get to the finals without a super team and even win

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on January 17, 2018, 02:11:53 pm
I'd take Bird he could get to the finals without a super team and even win
In '78-'79, the Celtics were 29-53.
They drafted Bird in the offseason.
In '79-'80, the Celtics were 61-21.
Thats all I need to say.

4real

His will to win was 2nd to none.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Daddy eagle on January 17, 2018, 04:30:54 pm
Yeah your on drugs
not gonna lie it fits the narrative around those parts haha

BannerMountainMan

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: Daddy eagle on January 17, 2018, 04:32:46 pm
I bet Jimmy has a fat head of bird. I bet it also gives him a fat head
And my walls are painted in green and white. Celtic green and white not west side.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas