• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A football history lesson

Started by CoolBreeze, October 19, 2017, 02:57:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolBreeze

A question just occurred to me. You guys who've been around 3A football longer than I have, what is the lowest seeded team ever to win the championship? What two teams played and when?

BannerMountainMan

Is it not clear that everyone can beat anybody

HeadBussa08

Tracking back to at least 2004 I believe Glen Rose is the only 2 seed to win it in a long time

AmSycho

Quote from: HeadBussa08 on October 19, 2017, 03:41:31 pm
Tracking back to at least 2004 I believe Glen Rose is the only 2 seed to win it in a long time

That was the only one I could think of, AI.

HorseFeathers

I believe CAC and PA were both 2 seeds in 03 and 04

Coltfan2005

Rivercrest was a 2 seed in 2002 but lost to a 1 seed.

Jimbo Morphis

Who wins it is not important. It's who we think can win it in early October that matters.

WilderKat

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 19, 2017, 02:57:40 pm
lowest seeded team ever to win the championship?

Yeah, yeah....that's what I am thinking. Could be a record year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Oldman on October 19, 2017, 04:37:22 pm
Who wins it is not important. It's who we think can win it in early October that matters.

More like who we think can win it in August

Skip Baymore

Quote from: WilderKat on October 19, 2017, 04:48:59 pm
Yeah, yeah....that's what I am thinking. Could be a record year.

Something tells me you might not really be thinking that WilderKat  :).

WilderKat

Oh, hey Skip.

I was thinking,  "what a fine target was painted by CoolBreezs".  I hope the wildcats play Thanksgiving, and I don't care what seed...

Tell where I am wrong, Skip.

Skip Baymore

October 21, 2017, 11:54:33 pm #11 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:09:48 am by Skip Baymore
Quote from: WilderKat on October 21, 2017, 02:44:31 pm
Oh, hey Skip.

I was thinking,  "what a fine target was painted by CoolBreezs".  I hope the wildcats play Thanksgiving, and I don't care what seed...

Tell where I am wrong, Skip.

Not wrong at all WilderKat (I wasn't really trying to say that).  In fact, I'm with you all the way here.  Harlow and Talley back after a while.  That was nice to see.  Peydon Harlow looked like he has gotten better (lol) since the broken wrist against B.K.  Skip.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Skip Baymore on October 21, 2017, 11:54:33 pm
Not wrong at all WilderKat (I wasn't really trying to say that).  In fact, I'm with you all the way here.  Harlow and Talley back after a while.  That was nice to see.  Peydon Harlow looked like he has gotten better (lol) since the broken wrist against B.K.  Skip.
Am I right that Harlow had a rushing touchdown, a receiving touchdown, and a pick-6, all in the first half.

panther07

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 22, 2017, 11:20:50 am
Am I right that Harlow had a rushing touchdown, a receiving touchdown, and a pick-6, all in the first half.

Pretty nice to have back. There's no question that we won't be a good draw for whatever 2 seed we get.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: panther07 on October 22, 2017, 11:28:55 am
Pretty nice to have back. There's no question that we won't be a good draw for whatever 2 seed we get.
Likely Rivercrest/Osceola. And if they pull off the upset they get Prescott in the 2nd round. Not the easiest route in the playoffs.

bleudog

October 23, 2017, 03:30:32 pm #15 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:51:12 pm by bleudog
Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 19, 2017, 02:57:40 pm
A question just occurred to me. You guys who've been around 3A football longer than I have, what is the lowest seeded team ever to win the championship? What two teams played and when?

Not 3A but in 2011 Strong won a 2A state title as a three seed.  They had three conference losses.  They finished behind Junction and Bearden and tied with Norphlet.  They held the head-to-head tie breaker over Norphlet.

The rest of the story was that when Strong lost to Parkers Chapel the town almost went nuts.  The coach was basically ordered to move Kenneth Dixon from RB to QB and turn over play calling to an assistant.  After that, the Bulldogs went undefeated including a rematch win over Junction in the semifinals and a WMS win over Carlisle.

Jimbo Morphis

Check out the Nashville video on the 4a board.

beach bum

October 23, 2017, 03:33:40 pm #17 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:43:27 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bleudog on October 23, 2017, 03:30:32 pm
Not 3A but in 2011 Strong won a 2A state title as a three seed.  In district they had three conference losses. 
They finished behind Junction and Bearden and tied with Norphlet.  They held the head-to-head tie breaker over Norphlet.

The rest of the story was that when Strong lost to Parkers Chapel the town almost went nuts.  The coach was basically ordered to move Kenneth Dixon from RB to QB and turn over play calling to an assistant.  After that, the Bulldogs went undefeated including a rematch win over Junction in the semifinals and  a WMS win over Carlisle.

The 8-2A was stacked that year and just the years surrounding that in general.... Those posters now like to talk about how stout they are now in SE Arkansas but the 8-2A was insane then.... JC, Bearden, and Strong just straight up rolling then.

beach bum

bleudog

panther07

I'm not finding this to be nearly the issue that the 4A board is.  It's not okay, but I don't see it as something to lose job over. 

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: panther07 on October 23, 2017, 04:30:02 pm
I'm not finding this to be nearly the issue that the 4A board is.  It's not okay, but I don't see it as something to lose job over.

A suspension should be in place now.....

Lineman

If that would've been my son, that coach & I would've had a "talk" in the parking lot!!

Jimbo Morphis

Make him promise not to do it again?

OB11

I am with you on this. I didn't see it as a big of a deal as a lot of people on there are making it out to be.

gold45

If that were my son, I would find it to be a huge issue.  And if your job revolves around teaching children, refraining from punching other people's kids in the classroom or on the field is kind of a big deal. 

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Oldman on October 19, 2017, 04:37:22 pm

Ask Reggie Jackson about October😜

OB11

Quote from: gold45 on October 25, 2017, 07:59:21 pm
If that were my son, I would find it to be a huge issue.  And if your job revolves around teaching children, refraining from punching other people's kids in the classroom or on the field is kind of a big deal.

I watched both clips posted on the 4A board probably 20 times each and to me it just looked like the coach reacted to the kid coming into his space...I don't know the guy personally and that seems to have factored in to the reaction by other posters. I could be totally wrong on what the coaches intention was but just watching it, it didn't seem malicious. If the coach did intend to elbow the kid then I agree that disciplinary action should be taken. It took me several times watching the video on youtube to even see that anything occurred.

I am in no way condoning a coach/teacher EVER putting their hands on a student in any manner but sometimes contact on the sideline is unavoidable. I do think however that most coaches would react by trying to slow the kid down and try to "catch" the player not throwing an elbow like this coach did.

wildcat_x-mgr

Really, it depends on what you consider "3A history" because 3A prior to 2006 was mostly what's now 4A. Very little has been the same since that massive realignment.

With that said, I don't know about 3A, but since someone gave a 2A answer earlier, I'll give a 7A one that I remember from 2006: Fort Smith Southside, who won the 2006 7A crown as a four seed, with a 9-4 record. The Rebels upset undefeated Little Rock Central in the opening round, and beat NLR in the semis before also beating undefeated Rogers at War Memorial. Again, not 3A, but definitely a great story.

WilderKat

Quote from: Oldman on October 23, 2017, 03:33:27 pm
Check out the Nashville video on the 4a board.

Kant we hush these spammers ? Another infomercial for violence....

WilderKat

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on October 28, 2017, 03:30:55 pm
Really, it definitely a great story.

Thanks for the critical information concerning the direction this thread has turned....

WilderKat

Huh?

Junction city is other side of center point

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas