• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA......

Started by Yellowcake, September 16, 2017, 01:14:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 19, 2017, 05:13:14 pm
Dude, I've been on this message board for years.   

Your bragging about that?

Overdahill

PrivateLesson

Quote from: JessieP on September 19, 2017, 05:26:55 pm
Your bragging about that?

"You're" jealous, aren't you?   Awww.....that's so sweet.   

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Overdahill on September 19, 2017, 05:19:20 pm

Maybe Maynard should run with the Rock in 2020  ;D

I'll do a slow trot with the rock.   Too old to run

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on September 19, 2017, 03:44:05 pm
Dang it. I have been playing nice with PA Dad, Maynard, Red Devil and the other PA backers, things change. I myself don't think PA should be penalized for success. Why? Just beat them. Doesn't every other school use 16-18 year old teenage boys as well? aren't they allowed 11 on the field at the same time? this "participation trophy" mentality is wrong, dead wrong. Should Alabama be forced to play in the NFL? and while were at it, should I be limited to only posting on MENSA message boards because of my superior intellect? It just seems unfair to me to say to any team in any sport "your too good, now your gonna pay". Just my two scents (toldcha I was reel smart).

We have different perspectives on this.  I think moving up based on performance is a reward, not a penalty.  And vice versa for moving down.  I actually think it would motivate teams to be better so they would not be moved down, and would hope to be moved up.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on September 17, 2017, 09:45:06 pm
Very talented and well coached team will repeat as 5a champions would probably win 6a to.
::)
I'd stay in your lane and  say they need to take care of 5A first, which seems likely they will. All classes seem somewhat down, but the usual suspects in their prospective classes might have a say on that whole "King of Arkansas" football praise you are heaping there.

Now, carry on with your back slappin', high fivin', love-fest.  :P

PrivateLesson

September 19, 2017, 08:22:34 pm #56 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:16:10 pm by PrivateLesson
:)

PA Dad

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 19, 2017, 08:18:23 pm
::)
I'd stay in your lane and  say they need to take care of 5A first, which seems likely they will. All classes seem somewhat down, but the usual suspects in their prospective classes might have a say on that whole "King of Arkansas" football praise you are heaping there.

Now, carry on with your back slappin', high fivin', love-fest.  :P

The debate is interesting.  The higher classes seem to believe they can always beat the lower classes.  But that's not always true.  The only way to settle that debate is on the field and that's not going to happen.  I don't know if PA could beat GW, but I'd pay good money to see that game.

PrivateLesson

Everyone loves to see a good football game!    Bottom line, it is up to each individual school, the school board and superintendent to decide what is best for their school.   That is their job.     

There are hundreds of schools in this state that many will find something they will dislike.   At the end of the day, it's about supporting the kids.   

RiverEagle079

So how long does ya'll think It will take for Kelly to take a college gig

Pr8hd

September 20, 2017, 06:38:59 am #60 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:41:08 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: PA Dad on September 19, 2017, 09:28:07 pm
The debate is interesting.  The higher classes seem to believe they can always beat the lower classes.  But that's not always true.  The only way to settle that debate is on the field and that's not going to happen.  I don't know if PA could beat GW, but I'd pay good money to see that game.

The thing is, control what you can control and focus on what needs to be and that is a state championship in your class. All the OOC wins mean little if you don't accomplish the main goal ask GW the last 2 years. The rest is for the talking season and arm chair QB's to debate. As far as smaller classes beating larger, you don't have to convince me since GW has won the last 12 or so in a row against 7A teams and is 24-3 against them since being bumped to 6A. Yet, that means far less without the title.

I guess if we wait long enough and PA doesn't make the move up, GW could be bumped back down to 5A if the new LR school consolidation happens.

PrivateLesson

Revisited this......

Quote from: JessieP on April 28, 2017, 07:17:02 pm
There is an awful lot of confusion. I can't speak to the initial thrust of this thread or other peoples opinion. I can only speak to my point. I've been accused of changing my views, on some issue's I have, but overall my point is the same. Disagree or not let me clarify/reiterate my point.

People say PA wins because of hard work, great coaching and committed players. True, that is why any team on any sport wins. That in and of itself is not why PA has been so dominant. They also have a massive advantage of no limit boundaries. It very simple, there is no debate. When PA takes the field against any Public school team it is not apples to apples. Let me ask this again, if PA was limited to the same land mass area as Batesville or Wynne and had no financial aid would they be as dominant ? 100% no!

I agree with the points other people make, it's about academics or parents right to chose. That's fine. Just stop trying to sell us this "great system, coaches, work ethic" BS. No one outside PA buys it. It's just not true. If you took Kelly, King, Paschel, Hill and their entire staffs. Had them switch schools every year for 4 years. They implemented their system and entire program wherever they went. Who would win it all ? PA. The advantages are too much to consistently overcome.

MDXPHD

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on September 19, 2017, 10:19:21 pm
So how long does ya'll think It will take for Kelly to take a college gig

Interesting you brought this up. Did any of you watching the PA game on ESPNU listen to Hunter Henry? The announcers asked him if he thinks the system would work in higher levels of football. He was hesitant, and I think he said it might work in college some, but the NFL is a different story. He said that the athletes are too quick and too good for it to work in the NFL. Listening, I don't think he thought it would work in college either, probably for the same reason. Maybe at a lower college level though. Coach Kelley knows he has the perfect setup to run the system he loves to run, so there isn't a reason to leave. If he left, and wasn't as successful (which is likely), then the whole thing would seem flawed. Why risk it?

P.F.G.

From the team I saw Friday's night they won't see much competition this year.

PrivateLesson

This is what puzzles me.....

School is for learning in ALL aspects.   If athletes are not being challenged physically, mentally, and athletically enough by the teams they are playing, what benefit is it really to them?   

What are you teaching the athlete and thus the team?   

It would only stand to reason that you would want to move up where there is more of a challenge, I would think.    Unless, MDXPHD is right, in that why risk it?   I don't know, as I mentioned before, it is up to each to school to determine what is best for them. 

threepeoplematter

Quote from: Freight Train on September 17, 2017, 10:08:45 pm
Best team is when Hunter Henry was a junior and Knighten was a senior. That PA team was incredible.
Saw knighten play once in high school and once in college, what a player. 

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 20, 2017, 08:16:59 am
Interesting you brought this up. Did any of you watching the PA game on ESPNU listen to Hunter Henry? The announcers asked him if he thinks the system would work in higher levels of football. He was hesitant, and I think he said it might work in college some, but the NFL is a different story. He said that the athletes are too quick and too good for it to work in the NFL. Listening, I don't think he thought it would work in college either, probably for the same reason. Maybe at a lower college level though. Coach Kelley knows he has the perfect setup to run the system he loves to run, so there isn't a reason to leave. If he left, and wasn't as successful (which is likely), then the whole thing would seem flawed. Why risk it?

Don't get caught up on the onside kicks and 4th down attempts.  Coach Kelly's system/method is much more than that.  It involves misdirection.  It's the way they team tackle.  It's how the QB reads the defense and how receivers run routes.  I think the ESPN question was really about the onside kicks, and HH answered honestly. 

MDXPHD

Misdirection, team tackling, and qb development is nothing new or innovative. The system works at PA...and surely, as a PA fan, you know that his system is perfect for the advantages PA has. The system would not work at the next level and, personally, I don't think it would work at most other schools in the state. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

JessieP

The ESPN question was about onside kicks and always going for it. That is the uniqueness of PA's program. Everything else, misdirection, tackling, offensive/defensive reads, passing routes and others are not PA's. There is NOTHING unique about that.

RoadWarrior

Unless you have 4 or 5 kids that can play man to man and at least 1 LB that can run from sideline to sideline with a dominant pass rusher then you are not beating PA. Overall team speed has to be superior. Similar to HWH in 2008. PA system isn't very complexed. People say that they recruit. Personally, I believe that they do. However, they don't just go out and get the superior players like say Shiloh* did a few years ago. They recruit the kids that fit their system and has been very successful at it.

P.F.G.

We need a GW/PA matchup.

PA Dad

Quote from: P.F.G. on September 20, 2017, 02:39:58 pm
We need a GW/PA matchup.

I agree.  Those games were always good contests.

Overdahill

Yellowcake

2011 team was arguably the best; however, after Friday night's game, I am not so sure this bunch isn't just as good. They might have a bust or two in the secondary every game, but overall, this defense is abusive. And until someone avoids a mercy rule, I'd say this offense is nearly as potent.

And I concur that overall, 6 and 7A are down a bit. I think PA could beat any team in the state this year. Not saying they would, I am just saying they have the team that could do it. And I haven't believed that since 2011.

I'd be for moving to 6A, but I believe the conference alignments are locked in until 2020. Plus, PA will have a new Qb next year. That always presents a challenge.

Incidentally, this bunch of PA seniors has been playing together since the 5th grade. The only game they have lost (not including the high school's one loss to Highland Park when they were 9th graders) was last year to the team from Salt Lake City. They will be missed and they should be congratulated on a heck of a run, especially if they go undefeated this year.

JessieP

To all my PA buddies I have a question. Last night on Youtube I watched the PA/Chaminade game. I'm not sure what year but it looked like Henry was on that team, if he was #82? anyway, PA was winning late in the game and then in the last 3 minutes that had like 3 unforced errors deep in their side of the field including a poorly thrown pick 6 to ice it. Was happened? you never see a Kelley team fall apart like that, what was the story?

Yellowcake

JP, you nailed it. They just fell apart. If I recall correctly, this was the first really big venture way way out of state to play a team rumored to have national power. My opinion, we freaked out when we were about to whip their butts, and the freaking out led to falling apart.

Also, a team from Memphis came here a few years back and had some beasts. We couldn't stop them. Then, inexplicably, the coach tried to get cute and play creative football. I think Kelley got in his head. We came back and won. To this day, I believe if they had stuck with student body right and left all night, they would have beat us. That loss was 100% on their coach. Trying to outthink Kelly is a very bad mistake.

PA Dad

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 20, 2017, 08:37:07 pm
JP, you nailed it. They just fell apart. If I recall correctly, this was the first really big venture way way out of state to play a team rumored to have national power. My opinion, we freaked out when we were about to whip their butts, and the freaking out led to falling apart.

Also, a team from Memphis came here a few years back and had some beasts. We couldn't stop them. Then, inexplicably, the coach tried to get cute and play creative football. I think Kelley got in his head. We came back and won. To this day, I believe if they had stuck with student body right and left all night, they would have beat us. That loss was 100% on their coach. Trying to outthink Kelly is a very bad mistake.

You got it right.  We weren't ready for a big time game, at least not mentally.  PA has gotten better in every big time game since then.

JessieP

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 20, 2017, 08:37:07 pm

That's so funny you said it that way, Watching it you get the impression they looked up at the scoreboard and said "crap, we're winning" and then they froze. Had they ran the fullback up the middle and then punted they would have won. It was so uncharacteristic of them. On the TD that put Chaminade ahead the db just looked at the ball, he was in position to intercept it but he didn't even lift him arms. It was bizarre. They had them dead to rights. 

Overdahill

September 20, 2017, 09:27:11 pm #78 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:33:05 pm by Overdahill
Quote from: JessieP on September 20, 2017, 08:31:50 pm
To all my PA buddies I have a question. Last night on Youtube I watched the PA/Chaminade game. I'm not sure what year but it looked like Henry was on that team, if he was #82? anyway, PA was winning late in the game and then in the last 3 minutes that had like 3 unforced errors deep in their side of the field including a poorly thrown pick 6 to ice it. Was happened? you never see a Kelley team fall apart like that, what was the story?

we lost our top running back in the 2nd half to a knee injury and his young replacement put the ball on the carpet a few times late in the game. It was his first varsity experience and it came at a bad time. The loss of the top running back hurt us in the playoffs that year (2012) as well as we did not have the balance we would have enjoyed otherwise and became more one dimensional

Overdahill

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on September 18, 2017, 01:54:36 pm
Crazy thing was that PA was 4A that year too. What a loaded roster that was.

Speaking of that 2011 roster, Jason King, OL from that year, just signed with the Patriots practice squad as a free agent out of Purdue

PrivateLesson

Who is the famous Duo for Pulaski Academy?    I seen some mention of 2 players on twitter. 

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 20, 2017, 12:22:25 pm
Misdirection, team tackling, and qb development is nothing new or innovative. The system works at PA...and surely, as a PA fan, you know that his system is perfect for the advantages PA has. The system would not work at the next level and, personally, I don't think it would work at most other schools in the state. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

As always you and JessieP massively overstate the "private schools advantages".  So please rant on again, it's been a few days since I've heard it.  As a parent I can say I've never seen a coaching staff that dedicates this much time and effort to prepare.  Perhaps even more important to the cause, those PA players spend practically their entire year preparing for each season.  Every week I think about what my son could be doing with all those hours, but for some reason he chooses to train.  Even during summer dead periods those kids will be at someone's house lifting weights.  So when you say misdirection, team tackling, etc isn't anything new, I'm telling you I think PA takes it all to another level. 

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 12:05:30 pm

As always you and JessieP massively overstate the "private schools advantages".  So please rant on again, it's been a few days since I've heard it.  As a parent I can say I've never seen a coaching staff that dedicates this much time and effort to prepare.  Perhaps even more important to the cause, those PA players spend practically their entire year preparing for each season.  Every week I think about what my son could be doing with all those hours, but for some reason he chooses to train.  Even during summer dead periods those kids will be at someone's house lifting weights.  So when you say misdirection, team tackling, etc isn't anything new, I'm telling you I think PA takes it all to another level.

Everyone has been playing nice but here comes a newbie crying like a baby. First, I want to thank you for allowing me to live rent free in your head. It's nice having fans. Second, you have never seen a coaching staff or players invest so much time and work so hard? outside of your sons team exactly how much time do you spend around other high school coaches and players? the second part of that question you may not want to answer. You are an expert on what every other team does? now sit down, this may shake you to your core, want to know what other teams work year round, INCLUDING DEAD PERIODS? every single one. Although the vast majority of pro-PA posters on this site are gracious, respectful and well informed, it's the egotistical cocky posters like you that give PA a bad name. To assume your kids work harder is an insulting and unfair taunt to every single kid who plays football. Shame on you for looking down your nose at everyone else. At least us lazy plebs can take some comfort in the knowledge that there are many teams, Like East Salt Lake, who's kids, parents and coaches are simply better. They must work harder. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 12:05:30 pm

A new level of what..?

I mentioned the advantages because we were talking about the system and the pros and cons of the system. Don't be bitter.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 21, 2017, 12:30:13 pm
A new level of what..?

I mentioned the advantages because we were talking about the system and the pros and cons of the system. Don't be bitter.

Now you apologize MDX. Their kids work harder, their just better people. They are next level people, unlike you working class losers in the inner city or farmers on the Delta. Lazy bunch of second class citizens.

We have all seen some pretty "out there" boasts put that one from PA Bruin Fan takes ego to the "next level".

Maynard G Krebs

^^to borrow a phrase from yesteryear:  don't make me get out of my chair and make you kids play nice!

PrivateLesson

Play nice or else??   :o ;D

Any of you really from PA?    I keep trying to figure out who the duo from PA are? 

Thought some might shed some light? 

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 21, 2017, 01:50:12 pm
Play nice or else??   :o ;D

Any of you really from PA?    I keep trying to figure out who the duo from PA are? 

Thought some might shed some light?

You talkin to me?

Wildcat Football

Who is recruiting Hatcher, any D1 offers?  I know Luke Jones is committed to the Hogs already.  I haven't heard of any major offers for Hatcher though even with some pretty astonishing stats...just curious, he is quite a competitor and a winner.  I hate to say it, but every major college is looking for the 6-3 protype build, but you look at Florida & Tennessee QB's last week and it was just horrible from QB play.  Why don't colleges recruit more athletes who are good instead of just look good from a physical standpoint?  Boggles the mind the fixation on potential v proven winners regardless of profile.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 21, 2017, 02:12:17 pm
Who is recruiting Hatcher, any D1 offers?  I know Luke Jones is committed to the Hogs already.  I haven't heard of any major offers for Hatcher though even with some pretty astonishing stats...just curious, he is quite a competitor and a winner.  I hate to say it, but every major college is looking for the 6-3 protype build, but you look at Florida & Tennessee QB's last week and it was just horrible from QB play.  Why don't colleges recruit more athletes who are good instead of just look good from a physical standpoint?  Boggles the mind the fixation on potential v proven winners regardless of profile.

I think I heard he had an offer from Oklahoma State for wrestling, but no d-1 offers for football yet. He's a good enough athlete to contribute to a team somehow though, and somebody should take a chance on him.

JessieP

September 21, 2017, 02:35:53 pm #90 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:04:28 pm by JessieP
Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 21, 2017, 02:12:17 pm

Funny you should ask, I may be an overall ignorant human being but I can speak to this. There is a massive misconception about what major D1 schools look for. State titles, Hudl videos and even coaches praises mean very little to them. A former roommate of mine at SMU now runs a high school newsletter/evaluation paper for college coaches. Sites like his allow coaches to glean information on players that may be off the radar.

The 5 most important attributes they look for are speed, size, size, speed and technique. They recruit globs of clay that they can mold. If there are freshman that can step in right away then great but usually there are only about 1 or 2 a year per team. I was watching the PA/Wynne game last year and the announcers said that if recruiters weren't looking at that PA running back they were missing out, I did a spit take. In high school he was a stud, in the SEC, ACC or Pac-12 they would grab his jersey and throw him 10 yards back. They recruit based on what they can make them into. I'm not saying players like that can't have a career at a Harding or Henderson State but as far as the Power 5, no way. You would be shocked to know that every year dozens of kids get full rides to major schools and they never started in high school, granted they are usually 6'8 and 340 lbs. For a player like PA's QB they would have to like his size and throwing technique. The number of wins means nothing to them. Classic example is the OL from PA this year. He's a no star rated athlete on those ESPN or other sites but he's getting a full ride to a major school. Those so called list and rankings are a joke, the kid is 6'5, fast and smart. He's what they want. It all comes down to the famous John Wooden quote "you can't teach size".

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 21, 2017, 12:30:13 pm
A new level of what..?

Not bitter, I just don't think the advantages your are referring to make that much difference.  I do completely believe that this group of coaches could go elsewhere and have similar success, assuming they could get players, parents, and school faculty to fully commit to the program. 

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on September 21, 2017, 12:24:11 pm
Everyone has been playing nice but here comes a newbie crying like a baby. First, I want to thank you for allowing me to live rent free in your head. It's nice having fans. Second, you have never seen a coaching staff or players invest so much time and work so hard? outside of your sons team exactly how much time do you spend around other high school coaches and players? the second part of that question you may not want to answer. You are an expert on what every other team does? now sit down, this may shake you to your core, want to know what other teams work year round, INCLUDING DEAD PERIODS? every single one. Although the vast majority of pro-PA posters on this site are gracious, respectful and well informed, it's the egotistical cocky posters like you that give PA a bad name. To assume your kids work harder is an insulting and unfair taunt to every single kid who plays football. Shame on you for looking down your nose at everyone else. At least us lazy plebs can take some comfort in the knowledge that there are many teams, Like East Salt Lake, who's kids, parents and coaches are simply better. They must work harder.

Wait, wait, wait, you are right.  It can't possibly be just hard work.  There is no way one kid or team works harder than another.   No way.  Totally un-American of me to suggest it. 

Marblehog

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 19, 2017, 03:49:43 pm
Good Grief, Fisherman Troll.

This isn't college.  Colleges recruit.  High schools do not.   

Your Alabama Statement isn't "reel smart" although, I think Nick Saban is the biggest factor in Alabamas success.
LOL OK

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 03:03:22 pm

Not bitter, I just don't think the advantages your are referring to make that much difference.  I do completely believe that this group of coaches could go elsewhere and have similar success, assuming they could get players, parents, and school faculty to fully commit to the program.

The last line of your post was correct, but it's also a far cry from hard work. There are a lot of kids all across the state that work just as hard as the kids at PA. I wonder if PA has any kids who walk to school every morning and home after practice because both parents work and in no way can they afford a car? I wonder if any players at PA come home at night and eat Ramon noodles or Sam's Club Pot Pies and Kool-Aid because that's all they can afford? I wonder if any players at PA have had a few day's of no power because Entergy disconnected their house 3 day's before payday and their parents can't afford to turn it on? I wonder if any players at PA have seen one of their parents dragged out of the house in handcuffs? I wonder if any players at PA only eat at school because there is no food or adults at home, ever? those are not far fetched scenarios, they are going on all across our and all other States. It's a heartbreaking reality.

The last line of your post is both a truth and a blessing, many many schools do not have that. But it's not just hard work. Insinuating PA is next level because they work harder is both insulting and condescending, it's mean spirited. The  economic advantages PA has contribute massively to their success. Do the kids and coaches at PA work hard? yes. So do the kids at GCT. Your Son and his teammates have been blessed, they have every right to enjoy what they've accomplished. But don't look down your nose and say "they just work hard". There is a LOT more to it then that. Your implying they work harder then anyone else is just mean.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 03:06:03 pm

Wait, wait, wait, you are right.  It can't possibly be just hard work.  There is no way one kid or team works harder than another.   No way.  Totally un-American of me to suggest it.

Wow, the defense rest. That's what the kids call Thug Life!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 03:03:22 pm

Really..? Because even the other PA fans agree..it's just obvious. I am not saying other public schools don't enjoy some of the same advantages..but you do realize that the advantages that have been talked about are huge in high school sports don't you?

JessieP

September 21, 2017, 03:37:24 pm #97 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:43:21 pm by JessieP
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 21, 2017, 01:07:26 pm
^^to borrow a phrase from yesteryear:  don't make me get out of my chair and make you kids play nice!

I must admit, Maynard can always defuse an argument with humor. Reading his post I pictured Grandpa Simpson yelling at Homer who was visiting him at the nursing home. He screamed "Don't bring up politics here, it angers up the blood".

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on September 21, 2017, 03:26:25 pm
Wow, the defense rest. That's what the kids call Thug Life!

Seriously dude, climb down off the cross.  I've never said PA doesn't have advantages, but I feel like some of these posts disrespect the work thoughts players but in. 

PrivateLesson

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas