• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood vs Alma Swan Song in 2017

Started by Brian G, August 13, 2017, 08:03:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WHO ME?

Will you Alma people. I put my by line on here 14 years ago you should have took heed

AT

Oh the usual trash talk is fine, but acting like Coach L doesn't have class is asinine at best.

It's really pretty simple, but Greenwood fans don't like to hear it. Greenwood has sacrificed every boys sport, even their usually stud baseball program to a degree, for a football powerhouse while Alma has not done the same. This isn't wrong or right, it's just how it is.

I think you guys forget how many schools are not near the level of Greenwood. Alma didn't keep up with them over the RJ years and that stinks, but it happens in all sports. Coach L is doing an extraordinary job with what he has and I don't think even the most jaded Alma fan thinks different.

AT

Quote from: WHO ME? on September 11, 2017, 08:59:35 pm
Will you Alma people. I put my by line on here 14 years ago you should have took heed

Greenwood has outstanding academics, which is probably a better reason to move to Gwood than anything else. Awesome community of educators there.

Brian G

Almahasbeen

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 11, 2017, 09:21:26 pm
Oh the usual trash talk is fine, but acting like Coach L doesn't have class is asinine at best.

It's really pretty simple, but Greenwood fans don't like to hear it. Greenwood has sacrificed every boys sport, even their usually stud baseball program to a degree, for a football powerhouse while Alma has not done the same. This isn't wrong or right, it's just how it is.

I think you guys forget how many schools are not near the level of Greenwood. Alma didn't keep up with them over the RJ years and that stinks, but it happens in all sports. Coach L is doing an extraordinary job with what he has and I don't think even the most jaded Alma fan thinks different.

I would agree with that, not that anyone cares, because I've been told this my entire life, BUT Greenwood couldn't keep up with Alma's track program  ;) Sorry guys that's the only bragging rights I've got hahaha now back to football.

bulldogger15

Coach L might be the best guy in the world, but he has been blanked by Coach Jones and the Bulldogs year after year. Make this win 13 in a row for the Bulldogs.

Once again, the Crawford County Crawfishers take another beating. Coach Vines will not feel too bad with the Crawford County spin in the Times Record this comint Saturday morning. The fine sportswriters there will likely be innacurate and slanted AS USUAL. I imagine the header to the story won't be the lead at the top of Saturday's sports page and will say something similar to this - "Coach Welch and the Tyler Wilson led Bulldogs squeek past Coach Frankie Vines Airedales one last time, 56 to 0". Pathetic.

Womack and Webb will be in the Crawford County Crawfishers backfield ALL NIGHT LONG.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Pr8hd

IMHO, GW hasn't sold out for only football. It's just what they have become most known for and had the most success at year in and year out. I think if anything the success there has pushed the other sports on both boys and girls side as a whole.

As for the cancellation of the series, Trackster, who would you say is the person(s) responsible for backing out of the  Alma/GW series ?   

Surely, Alma admins did not say, "we don't want to count ALL this money when we play GW, let's get someone who travels more poorly so we don't have to, but we can at least beat them." Alma has great facilities, but you don't pay for them, maintain, or improve them by not making money to do so.

P.F.G.

We all agree this game will get ugly but really no need to try and trash a coach who has been a great leader within a town. We get it, you don't like the rilvary ended but come on guys.

catfish1

rona

Almahasbeen

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 12, 2017, 10:19:43 am
IMHO, GW hasn't sold out for only football. It's just what they have become most known for and had the most success at year in and year out. I think if anything the success there has pushed the other sports on both boys and girls side as a whole.

As for the cancellation of the series, Trackster, who would you say is the person(s) responsible for backing out of the  Alma/GW series ?   

Surely, Alma admins did not say, "we don't want to count ALL this money when we play GW, let's get someone who travels more poorly so we don't have to, but we can at least beat them." Alma has great facilities, but you don't pay for them, maintain, or improve them by not making money to do so.

Personally I think the moving on from the rivalry is more of thinking about the athletes. We aren't talking Ark./Lsu, Osu/MIch, or Cowboys/Eagles. In the big picture of things these are still kids. Now I'm all for kids learning to lose with a humbled heart. But at some point a kid has been beat enough. Think about it since these kids started school Alma hasn't beat Greenwood. I think a few years break would do good, I love this rivalry just as much as the next, and I'm on the losing end of it haha, but this isn't college, or NFL. These are High School kids. Give them a break

blueandwhite

Personally I think the moving on from the rivalry is more of thinking about the athletes. We aren't talking Ark./Lsu, Osu/MIch, or Cowboys/Eagles. In the big picture of things these are still kids. Now I'm all for kids learning to lose with a humbled heart. But at some point a kid has been beat enough. Think about it since these kids started school Alma hasn't beat Greenwood. I think a few years break would do good, I love this rivalry just as much as the next, and I'm on the losing end of it haha, but this isn't college, or NFL. These are High School kids. Give them a break
[/quote]'

I can't believe I just read this. It sounds like the big, bad bulldogs physically abused the tiny Airedales. Greenwood did not saying anything in the early part of the rivalry when they lost like 13 out of the first 20 years. Tell you what we will do, we will come up with an runner-up trophy for whoever loses the game. That way nobody's kids will be hurt.

Almahasbeen

September 12, 2017, 03:12:17 pm #62 Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:51:12 pm by Almahasbeen
Quote from: blueandwhite on September 12, 2017, 03:01:31 pm
'

I can't believe I just read this. It sounds like the big, bad bulldogs physically abused the tiny Airedales. Greenwood did not saying anything in the early part of the rivalry when they lost like 13 out of the first 20 years. Tell you what we will do, we will come up with an runner-up trophy for whoever loses the game. That way nobody's kids will be hurt.

That's the Greenwood response I was looking for  ;D a lion doesn't kill the weakest gazelle. It chases the healthiest one, because it enjoys the fight. At this point alma is the wounded gazelle in this discussion. These kids mark it as a loss every year, they've given up on trying to beat greenwood haha I'm sorry for wanting this to be a more interesting battle in the future, but if you enjoy sitting in the floor and playing with a dead mouse then I agree, let the rivalry go on. "Kids can suck it up, welcome to the real world jacka**" where we beat you like a drum and then make fun of you for wanting to get out.

Almahasbeen

Quote from: BarclayAlmanac on August 14, 2017, 01:51:14 pm
2016Greenwood35
-
2015Greenwood56
-
2014Greenwood35
-
2013Greenwood47
-
2012Greenwood35-6
2011Greenwood
2010Greenwood
-
2009Greenwood25-21
2008Greenwood40-36
2007Greenwood42-15
2006Greenwood28-21
2005Greenwood31-23
2004Alma17-14
2003Greenwood3-0
2002Alma27-20
2001Alma26-7
2000Greenwood24-21
1999Alma28-7
1998Alma29-28
1997Greenwood25-15
1997Greenwood21-13
1996Greenwood21-20
1996Greenwood24-21
1995Alma34-14
1994Alma21-0
1993Alma7-0
1992Alma32-6
1991Greenwood24-17
1990Alma17-0
1989Greenwood16-13
1988Greenwood21-20
1987Alma14-12
1986Alma21-10
1985Alma33-12
1984Alma6-0
1983Alma23-7
1982Greenwood15-7
1981Alma24-0
1980Alma7-0
1979Alma40-0
1978Greenwood6-0
1977Alma25-8
1976Greenwood13-7
1975Alma7-6

Alma's longest streak was 5 wins...

blueandwhite

If you are saying what the kids at Alma about not trying and already considered it a lost, than that is on the coach's shoulder. And a guarantee you that is not how Coach L is wired.

Almahasbeen

Call me crazy, but I think it's a normal thing for someone to start questioning if "it can be done" after being beat for almost a decade and a half. Again I love this rivalry I'm just saying I understand when I hear these kids say they're ok with moving on for now.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Almahasbeen on September 12, 2017, 03:12:17 pm
That's the Greenwood response I was looking for  ;D a lion doesn't kill the weakest gazelle. It chases the healthiest one, because it enjoys the fight. At this point alma is the wounded gazelle in this discussion. These kids mark it as a loss every year, they've given up on trying to beat greenwood haha I'm sorry for wanting this to be a more interesting battle in the future, but if you enjoy sitting in the floor and playing with a dead mouse then I agree, let the rivalry go on. "Kids can suck it up, welcome to the real world jacka**" where we beat you like a drum and then make fun of you for wanting to get out.
"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." Well ladies and gentlemen, I'll show you a loser = Almahasbeen. Do you work in the Admin or AD's Office over there in Alma or are you just another shining example of how to whine your way out of adversity Almahasbeen?

Fine example for your pups.... Your new FF handle should be AlmaNeverWas.

Being defeated is only a temporary condition, but giving up makes it permanent. This old saying couldn't be more true in this situation. Coach Vines CANNOT be proud of the current state of the Airedale football team, I'm sure Coach Lunney Sr. feels the same way about his Rebs/Mavs.

Someone once asked Coach Rick Jones if he has ever given up, he paused and said, "Nope. Does it hurt?"

GO BULLDOGS!!!

TTofGreenwood

PrivateLesson

My God.....

What in blue blazes is going on here??   

One dude comes on speaking for the entire Alma campus and athletes? 

PrivateLesson

How does anyone derive to such a conclusion?       

I don't think the will of the athletes at Alma is in question whatsoever.   

AT

September 12, 2017, 07:16:34 pm #70 Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:19:22 pm by Almatrackster
Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 12, 2017, 10:05:31 am
Coach L might be the best guy in the world, but he has been blanked by Coach Jones and the Bulldogs year after year. Make this win 13 in a row for the Bulldogs.

Once again, the Crawford County Crawfishers take another beating. Coach Vines will not feel too bad with the Crawford County spin in the Times Record this comint Saturday morning. The fine sportswriters there will likely be innacurate and slanted AS USUAL. I imagine the header to the story won't be the lead at the top of Saturday's sports page and will say something similar to this - "Coach Welch and the Tyler Wilson led Bulldogs squeek past Coach Frankie Vines Airedales one last time, 56 to 0". Pathetic.

Womack and Webb will be in the Crawford County Crawfishers backfield ALL NIGHT LONG.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Actually, bulldogger, Coach Vines's last game was much closer than expected against the Tyler Wilson (and Rick Jones coached) Bulldogs. I think it was a one score game. A lot of emotion in that game. I remember Greenwood giving Coach Vines a commemorative something or other. Very special night between two programs who respected each other quite a bit.

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 12, 2017, 10:19:43 am

I'll speak to the bolded question first. I think Alma probably pulled out of the series. I don't know how much Greenwood tried to convince them otherwise. I've hinted at the fact that it could be beneficial to both programs to pull out of this game for now. But yes, I do agree with the assessment that Alma pulled out.

I don't see how someone could see Greenwood boys sports being pushed forward in this time period. I think Greenwood schools as a whole and perhaps even the girl sports have benefited. But I mean Greenwood boys basketball is not strong and really not even average as of late.

I'll make a few points about Alma basketball and give years and perhaps that will clarify what I mean:

Alma boys win their first basketball state championship in 2005. Last time Alma beat Greenwood in football? 2004.

Alma boys win their first of 4 straight basketball conference championships from 2009-2012. They also win another state title in 2011 and make the state title another time in 2013. Notice these are all recent and coincide with Greenwood's streak over Alma.

I know the school district and what happens between the athletic programs a little bit still. Alma has some very good athletes playing basketball only. The stud football player on last year's junior high team chose basketball and not football as a sophomore. Not a knock, I can't wait to see what he does on the hardwood. Heck Brayden Johnson has said in an interview he was almost going to be a basketball/baseball only guy until he realized his potential.

Coach Loughridge, almost more than anything else, is a huge proponent of his kids playing other sports. I respect the heck out of this. I also know he isn't just talking the talk. He walks the walk with that campaign. He encourages students to go help other programs. Is he happy when a great athlete quits football to focus on other sports. I highly doubt it, but our best skill position players on this year's team...Garrison Jensen, Brayden Johnson, Grayson Bailey, Felix Wright, Tanner Shelton...they all play basketball and some of them focus on it the most. Coach L fully supports them doing this.

In short, Greenwood's senior football players going out for basketball every once in awhile is a nice gesture but it isn't really anything to be taken seriously. (Although they did get the Airedales with that buzzer beater a few years ago)

As for money Pr8hd. I do wonder how they are walking away from that, but perhaps there isn't as much gate as we think? I know I went to not the last Greenwood home game, but the one before that and it was pretty bare on the Alma side.

So let's think about it from a practical point of view, even if I disagree with taking Gwood off the schedule.

Right now, Alma has 9 of their 10 opponents scheduled to start the year. VB will probably always pull in a HUGE gate and won't be taken off.

Greenwood on the other hand...maybe not such a big gate anymore...really not helping your team...freeing up more flexibility for your schedule...I can't help but wonder if that's the thought process.

A lot of talk, but I may never know.

The Future

Well the great and almighty Hootens has picked Greenwood by a measly 21 points this Friday night.
After them picking Greenwood by only 8 against Northside and 18 against Southside, and seeing how Greenwood won those game by 27 and 49 respectively, you'd think they'd go a bit more bolder in their pick

PrivateLesson

I think Alma will play Greenwood better than Southside. 

The Future

Maybe. But that still doesn't  mean they'll score enough to keep the margin of victory at 21. I think  we can all agree Greenwood will put up at least 40 points. So if Greenwood scores an even 6 TDs  42 points, that means Alma will have to put up at least 21 to keep the score within the 21 point spread. I don't see this Alma team scoring 3 TDs on this Greenwood defense. They put up 21 against Van Buren week 1.
My official pick is a generous 41-14. And that's assuming Jones continues with his plan of apparently trying to mercy rule by half and not scoring all the second half. The score could easily hit 50 if he allows. And assuming Alma can get in a punch or two late. Because while Greenwoods starters are in, Alma isn't scoring during the first half. 3 games in. 3 games with 0 points allowed during the first 24 minutes of play.

This game will be over by 9:07.

I will try to attend this game. Alma has one of the best stadiums in the state. Great fans. Great atmosphere. Great memories at Airedale Stadium. I hope this little hiatus between the two teams doesn't last too long. Who knows maybe in a cycle or two they'll be bumped back up or we'll be bumped back down and be rejoined in conference play again.

bulldogger15

"I think Alma probably pulled out of the series. I don't know how much Greenwood tried to convince them otherwise. I've hinted at the fact that it could be beneficial to both programs to pull out of this game for now."

PROBABLY?!?!? How much Greenwood tried to convince them otherwise?!?!?

Bye Felicia.... Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. Almatrackster, get real. Really....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

AT

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 12, 2017, 08:41:27 pm
"I think Alma probably pulled out of the series. I don't know how much Greenwood tried to convince them otherwise. I've hinted at the fact that it could be beneficial to both programs to pull out of this game for now."

PROBABLY?!?!? How much Greenwood tried to convince them otherwise?!?!?

Bye Felicia.... Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. Almatrackster, get real. Really....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Are you a 13 year old girl now, bulldogger?!

bulldogger15

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 12, 2017, 08:47:12 pm
Are you a 13 year old girl now, bulldogger?!
You'd probably run from a 13 year old girl too Almabacktrackster. Most 13 year old girls would STAY and FIGHT. Maybe Alma's football program needs more 13 year old girls figuring out your football schedule.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

AT

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 12, 2017, 08:51:08 pm
You'd probably run from a 13 year old girl too Almabacktrackster. Most 13 year old girls would STAY and FIGHT. Maybe Alma's football program needs more 13 year old girls figuring out your football schedule.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Ehh...a reach at best.

Pr8hd

September 12, 2017, 09:16:45 pm #78 Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:20:55 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Almatrackster on September 12, 2017, 07:16:34 pm
Actually, bulldogger, Coach Vines's last game was much closer than expected against the Tyler Wilson (and Rick Jones coached) Bulldogs. I think it was a one score game. A lot of emotion in that game. I remember Greenwood giving Coach Vines a commemorative something or other. Very special night between two programs who respected each other quite a bit.

I'll speak to the bolded question first. I think Alma probably pulled out of the series. I don't know how much Greenwood tried to convince them otherwise. I've hinted at the fact that it could be beneficial to both programs to pull out of this game for now. But yes, I do agree with the assessment that Alma pulled out.

I don't see how someone could see Greenwood boys sports being pushed forward in this time period. I think Greenwood schools as a whole and perhaps even the girl sports have benefited. But I mean Greenwood boys basketball is not strong and really not even average as of late.

I'll make a few points about Alma basketball and give years and perhaps that will clarify what I mean:

Alma boys win their first basketball state championship in 2005. Last time Alma beat Greenwood in football? 2004.

Alma boys win their first of 4 straight basketball conference championships from 2009-2012. They also win another state title in 2011 and make the state title another time in 2013. Notice these are all recent and coincide with Greenwood's streak over Alma.

I know the school district and what happens between the athletic programs a little bit still. Alma has some very good athletes playing basketball only. The stud football player on last year's junior high team chose basketball and not football as a sophomore. Not a knock, I can't wait to see what he does on the hardwood. Heck Brayden Johnson has said in an interview he was almost going to be a basketball/baseball only guy until he realized his potential.

Coach Loughridge, almost more than anything else, is a huge proponent of his kids playing other sports. I respect the heck out of this. I also know he isn't just talking the talk. He walks the walk with that campaign. He encourages students to go help other programs. Is he happy when a great athlete quits football to focus on other sports. I highly doubt it, but our best skill position players on this year's team...Garrison Jensen, Brayden Johnson, Grayson Bailey, Felix Wright, Tanner Shelton...they all play basketball and some of them focus on it the most. Coach L fully supports them doing this.

In short, Greenwood's senior football players going out for basketball every once in awhile is a nice gesture but it isn't really anything to be taken seriously. (Although they did get the Airedales with that buzzer beater a few years ago)

As for money Pr8hd. I do wonder how they are walking away from that, but perhaps there isn't as much gate as we think? I know I went to not the last Greenwood home game, but the one before that and it was pretty bare on the Alma side.

So let's think about it from a practical point of view, even if I disagree with taking Gwood off the schedule.

Right now, Alma has 9 of their 10 opponents scheduled to start the year. VB will probably always pull in a HUGE gate and won't be taken off.

Greenwood on the other hand...maybe not such a big gate anymore...really not helping your team...freeing up more flexibility for your schedule...I can't help but wonder if that's the thought process.

A lot of talk, but I may never know.

So Alma won 2 titles in basketball during the CRJ years....what else did they win titles in that makes Alma so much more well-rounded? Not much.
GW got titles in other sports too during that time besides just football.  My guess is that GW has as many titles in other boys sports as does Alma. So your argument centers only around basketball. It's pretty weak honestly.

As for the gate and revenue thing, that's even more pathetic justification and speculation. Hillary had a better defense for deleting classified emails. I've been to the last few games against Alma, now the huge rain delay last year at GW is no grounds to judge your crowd. It's almost like you are saying the Alma faithful, are no longer that faithful especially when it comes to playing GW. It probably has more to do with fact that many can stay home watch the broadcast honestly, but even still there's plenty of money to be made.

It's true though GW really has nothing more to prove. I had to laugh out loud at the wounded gazelle defense earlier as well. Lions go after the weak, it's called survival of the fittest, maybe hasbeen has heard of that. You know eat the weakest, so the genes of strongest carry on.

Unfortunately, although Alma was once near the top, they are way down in the food chain now, but hey they can still beat VB in a powderpuff game for Crawford County bragging rights....I would guess that's akin to about a dung beetle level in the food chain spectrum. 

PrivateLesson

Ummm.....to be fair....Pretty sure Greenwood benefited from a couple girls who were originally from Alma....in fact, pretty sure they were a big factor in helping clinch rings for a couple sports, too.     Athletes in Alma and Greenwood both are pretty assured facts.

AT

It really is simple but I can't make it much more simple.

Greenwood - More athletes, more resources, more D1 players, more stable coaching all going to football

= Where we are

I hope we start playing again. I respect Greenwood's football program. We will see

P.F.G.

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 12, 2017, 09:22:58 pm
Ummm.....to be fair....Pretty sure Greenwood benefited from a couple girls who were originally from Alma....in fact, pretty sure they were a big factor in helping clinch rings for a couple sports, too.     Athletes in Alma and Greenwood both are pretty assured facts.

Great kids and they come from a great family. Wished them nothing but the best when they moved to GW. I know Alma stopped playing GW in basketball for a couple years over that.

Almahasbeen

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 12, 2017, 05:30:40 pm
"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." Well ladies and gentlemen, I'll show you a loser = Almahasbeen. Do you work in the Admin or AD's Office over there in Alma or are you just another shining example of how to whine your way out of adversity Almahasbeen?

Fine example for your pups.... Your new FF handle should be AlmaNeverWas.

Being defeated is only a temporary condition, but giving up makes it permanent. This old saying couldn't be more true in this situation. Coach Vines CANNOT be proud of the current state of the Airedale football team, I'm sure Coach Lunney Sr. feels the same way about his Rebs/Mavs.

Someone once asked Coach Rick Jones if he has ever given up, he paused and said, "Nope. Does it hurt?"

GO BULLDOGS!!!

I could sit here and give you my resume and defend myself to you about how I'm not a quitter, but I just don't have time. I'm not speaking for the entire school district of alma. I'm talking about some of the starting football players in my youth group. They aren't quitting, the coaches  for whatever reason have decided to move and the kids are ok with it. I support that. That's all I'm stating. Yea the gazelle analogy... I wish I could have that one back haha, but that's life we say things before thinking  ;D BUT "ALMANEVERWAS" AND "ALMABACKTRACKSTER" man those are good i'll have to remember those!

blueandwhite

What sad day in high school football in the River Valley when a great rivalry like Greenwood and Alma comes to an end because one school does not like losing to other school.

Anybody want to make bets that when Jones leaves Greenwood, Alma will have a change of heart and want to restart the rivalry?

Almahasbeen

maybe.. Just MAYBE... the rivalry is ending for another reason than we hate losing.

blueandwhite

Than enlighten us. Why is the Alma/Greenwood rivalry ending?

Jeep71

September 13, 2017, 01:51:54 pm #86 Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:16:29 pm by Jeep71
Come on people don't act like this is the first time Greenwood has been dropped from someones schedule

Baitshop

Quote from: blueandwhite on September 13, 2017, 11:35:18 am
What sad day in high school football in the River Valley when a great rivalry like Greenwood and Alma comes to an end because one school does not like losing to other school.

Anybody want to make bets that when Jones leaves Greenwood, Alma will have a change of heart and want to restart the rivalry?

I don't see GW scheduling HarBer anymore..??..??

Pine Bluff comes to Sebastian County to play Northside, why not make a call to SE Arkansas..??..??

CRJ has a history with Jenks ;)....Jenks is coming to play HarBer (NWA). There's another possible opponent...

Euless Trinity traveled to Tulsa to play Jenks in Wk 1, surely they would be willing to take a shot at the UofG....

Southlake Carroll traveled to Broken Arrow to open the 2017 season....

Allen Tx. went TO Evangel Christian in Shreveport in Wk 2. I know a guy that coaches at Allen and would be more than willing to make the first contact for my alma mater if they want a chance to show out against the big boys.

If Farmers Bank or the owner of the "Foundation"/DogPound were to kick in a little cash for traveling expenses, South Panola (MS) has been known to hit the road to play some top OOC teams....

The bottom line being, if the GW administration, staff, and fans truly feel like they have outgrown their pond, why not a take a dip in a bigger pond and see how you do with someone who may not be "scared" of the big, bad, Bulldogs...

Maybe this is a put up or shut up opportunity for the UofG instead of Alma..??..??

Almahasbeen

Quote from: Baitshop on September 13, 2017, 02:20:22 pm

Pine Bluff comes to Sebastian County to play Northside, why not make a call to SE Arkansas..??..??

CRJ has a history with Jenks ;)....Jenks is coming to play HarBer (NWA). There's another possible opponent...

Euless Trinity traveled to Tulsa to play Jenks in Wk 1, surely they would be willing to take a shot at the UofG....

Allen Tx. went TO Evangel Christian in Shreveport in Wk 2. I know a guy that coaches at Allen and would be more than willing to make the first contact for my alma mater if they want a chance to show out against the big boys.

If Farmers Bank or the owner of the "Foundation"/DogPound were to kick in a little cash for traveling expenses, South Panola (MS) has been known to hit the road to play some top OOC teams....

The bottom line being, if the GW administration, staff, and fans truly feel like they have outgrown their pond, why not a take a dip in a bigger pond and see how you do with someone who may not be "scared" of the big, bad, Bulldogs...

Maybe this is a put up or shut up opportunity for the UofG instead of Alma..??..??

WOW. All of us Alma people on here trying to plead our case and this dude just did it in one post hahahaha +1

The Future

Bout time someone brought that argument up. Was wondering how long it was gonna take for someone to resort back to it.
Waaahhhh we can't beat them so they should play someone better so they can lose.

Almahasbeen, us here in Greenwood have to deal with this argument every year. Literally. Just as we do, y'all will now have to live with never living down letting Greenwood go. I'm sure bulldogger15 will make sure it's brought up anytime he is on. Y'all know the truth. Y'all know it's not cause you're scared. You just gotta bite the teeth when the haters sling the mud and move on.

I have no answer why we don't schedule certain teams. Or who all exactly we ask. But the question can go around to everyone. Why won't Southside play anyone OOS? Surely y'all can get someone better than Heritage to offer some better competition. Although this year it might be a close one.

Almahasbeen

Hey man no spilled milk here, I can assure you I've got the thickest skin around. I didn't agree with his post because I wanna see Greenwood lose. I would love to see Greenwood take on a Jenks and win.That'd be awesome! I'm just so confused on why all the Greenwood fans are so mad they are losing a rivalry that hasn't been a rivalry for 13 years... I figured y'all would be glad that you no longer have to waste your time with us... atleast that's what I always hear from my father who is from Greenwood haha

Jeep71

Quote from: Almahasbeen on September 13, 2017, 02:47:02 pm
WOW. All of us Alma people on here trying to plead our case and this dude just did it in one post hahahaha +1
Surely you don't need someone from ss to take up or for ALMA

Almahasbeen

Quote from: Jeep71 on September 13, 2017, 03:24:52 pm
Surely you don't need someone from ss to take up or for ALMA

Looks like maybe I do hahaha

Baitshop

Quote from: The Future on September 13, 2017, 03:07:45 pm
Bout time someone brought that argument up. Was wondering how long it was gonna take for someone to resort back to it.
Waaahhhh we can't beat them so they should play someone better so they can lose.

Almahasbeen, us here in Greenwood have to deal with this argument every year. Literally. Just as we do, y'all will now have to live with never living down letting Greenwood go. I'm sure bulldogger15 will make sure it's brought up anytime he is on. Y'all know the truth. Y'all know it's not cause you're scared. You just gotta bite the teeth when the haters sling the mud and move on.

I have no answer why we don't schedule certain teams. Or who all exactly we ask. But the question can go around to everyone. Why won't Southside play anyone OOS? Surely y'all can get someone better than Heritage to offer some better competition. Although this year it might be a close one.

We already played the 2 best teams in the state and gba up a half a hundred points in those two losses. And we aren't the one saying that people  are scared of us.  Again, if Greenwood thanks that they are the biggest fish in their pond they should go fishing for bigger fish.... unless of course they are scared of messing up their MaxPreps  national ranking.

If the U of G gets their butts handed to them by the Jenks, Southlake Carroll's, and South Panola's of the world on an ongoing and consistent basis, let's see how quickly a Coach Rick Jones team and UofG fambase tires of 2 OOC losses to begin  every year. Then we can have an honest conversation about who is running from whom.

And by the way, I heard it from CJW own mouth this weekend that Southside will continue to play the other team from South Sebastian County as long as they are willing to play. So why don't  the Bulldogs line up a couple of big boys and let Southside be their Heritage?

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on September 13, 2017, 02:20:22 pm

Someone has GW confused with Shiloh, PA, Bentonville  and the likes  who are all trying to make national names for themselves on a large scale. I don't see anyone making this thread about GW's place nationally. This was about a long rivalry that someone is crawfishing out of. SS better take notes because someday soon I imagine they might do the same if things continue like they have been...this is the common denominator here ...2 schools dominated by GW for 6 years of more.

GW already has to make some huge road trips non-conference, what does going to those places listed do for you? Perhaps Bait and his "winning-est team in the state of Arkansas" can enlighten us. Since they are the "benchmark"or is it now just the "bench" of top programs in the state.

Greenwood's goals remain the same every year.

1)Win the first game
2)Win conference
3)Win state

There has never been a goal to win the mythical national title in HS football.

GW has failed to accomplish those three goals since 2012,so it's not like they don't have something to shoot for.  Anything else is for "talking season"

Baitshop

September 13, 2017, 04:09:46 pm #95 Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:32:37 pm by Baitshop
My hypothesis is simple, if Greenwood thinks that teams are running away from them then, perhaps they should schedule teams who will not be intimidated by the U of G. I just listed several who are not afraid to travel within two hours of Greenwood. Surely, the opportunity to strap it on with a team of Greenwoods caliber would be attractive to the Euless Trinity's, Southlake Carrol'sl, Jenks, Unions, Allen Texas', South Panola's of the world. Shoot, even Broken Arrow (who struggled mightily to beat Jenks and Union in CRJ's time at B.A.) I bet would be willing to make the two-hour drive to Greenwood.

You know the old saying, "if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best".

And, just a reminder, as Coach Jeff Williams told me Sunday afternoon, "son, they don't give out trophies for wins in September".

TTofGreenwood

Scanning through thread. Vines never faced Tyler Wilson. Carry on.

The Future

Ok honest question. Has any Greenwood fan actually said the phrase "teams run from us" or "teams are scared of us"?  Bulldogger15 don't count.

As far as the saying " to be the best, you gotta beat the best". Again. We only care about being the best in 6A. We don't care about OOS teams.
I'm sure no team in Texas will be scared of Greenwood. I can sleep very well at night knowing that.

You're right. They don't. So why all the fuss about who teams play in September??
Not gonna make a huge flight or pay for a team to make a huge flight to play a game that don't matter.

You already played the 2 best teams in the state huh? Well like I said there's always a bigger and badder team. Why don't SS schedule the best 2 in Texas? Or OK?

Got another phrase for ya. "if you spend more time bashing one team than you do cheering for your team, then you are a fan of that team".

Umm maybe TT has had a long day.
But 2006 at Greenwood. We paid tribute to Vines. That was Wilsons first year starting. Dilbeck came in in 2007

AT

Quote from: TTofGreenwood on September 13, 2017, 05:30:43 pm
Scanning through thread. Vines never faced Tyler Wilson. Carry on.

Yes, he did...I was at the game.

AT

Here's the article to Coach Vines last game from GreenwoodDogPound.

http://www.greenwooddogpound.com/Footb06/Alma.html

It was a great tribute and I remember the guys carrying Coach Vines off the field that night even though it was a loss.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas