• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predicting the New Conferences

Started by Ice Water, August 02, 2017, 11:59:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Water

Following the passing of the new proposal, I thought I'd take a shot at predicting the next cycle's conferences. I believe 1A will contain the 65 schools listed below. I used the structure that requires 8 leagues and each league must contain 7, 8, or 9 schools. This was a lot more challenging than my attempt at 2A. Below is the best I could settle on. Let me hear what you would do differently.

Northwest: HH-Rogers, HH-Springdale, NWA Classical, New School, Kingston, St Paul, Mulberry, FS Future, Hartford

West: County Line, Oark, WYC, Scranton, Sacred Heart, Wonderview, Guy, MVE

North: Alpena, Omaha, Lead Hill, Jasper, Deer, Mt Judea, Western Grove, St Joe, Bruno Pyatt

North Central: Norfork, Calico, Viola, ICC, Timbo, Rural Special, Shirley, GFWS, Concord

East: Midland, Bradford, Augusta, Lisa NLR, Abundant Life, Quest, Brinkley, Marvell

Northeast: Maynard, Mammoth, Hillcrest, Armorel, CRA, Ridgefield, Kipp Blytheville

Southwest: Oden, Caddo, Umpire, Kirby, Ouachita, Blevins, Mineral Springs, Trinity

Southeast: Bradley, Taylor, Emerson, Nevada, Strong, Hermitage, Dermott

AirItOut21

Looks good! I would like to see what you have for 2A as well

Moonshiner

Isn't that something.  6A has 16 schools while class A has 65. 

no mascot

I think the proposed conferences are already on the aaa website. Could be wrong tho

HorseFeathers

Quote from: no mascot on August 02, 2017, 12:47:41 pm
I think the proposed conferences are already on the aaa website. Could be wrong tho

Nope...Ice water post addresses the proposal that was passed yesterday

Central Ark

Several of these teams will not have basketball teams, I wonder if that will shift the conferences and bring down some of the 2a teams

Ice Water

Quote from: Central Ark on August 02, 2017, 04:14:49 pm
Several of these teams will not have basketball teams, I wonder if that will shift the conferences and bring down some of the 2a teams

I was curious about that. I figure many of these new charter schools have intentions of fielding teams eventually, but I have no idea when they'll start competing at the varsity level. I went ahead and included them on the basis that the AAA had included them when assigning "basketball conferences" within the structure that is now obsolete. I'm guessing they have removed that file from the website, but HH-Springdale, The New School, FS Future, etc... were all assigned to a league that would be short-handed without them.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ice Water on August 02, 2017, 05:19:22 pm
I was curious about that. I figure many of these new charter schools have intentions of fielding teams eventually, but I have no idea when they'll start competing at the varsity level. I went ahead and included them on the basis that the AAA had included them when assigning "basketball conferences" within the structure that is now obsolete. I'm guessing they have removed that file from the website, but HH-Springdale, The New School, FS Future, etc... were all assigned to a league that would be short-handed without them.

The wording leads me to believe that they'd be taken out of the count to divide into 1a-2a-3a

RATTLER43

Quote from: Moonshiner on August 02, 2017, 12:36:10 pm
Isn't that something.  6A has 16 schools while class A has 65. 

I prefer 65 to 16. Seems more meaningful (to me) to go through a season and win it all out of 65. Of course, the opposite side says beating Pine Bluff, Greenwood, etc. to win a title is just as meaningful.  Just a matter of taste.  Two conferences in a classification is a joke (to me).  Put old 6A and 7A back together (I know.......will probably never happen.)   

Oldref

Well at least Class A will go back to a 16 team state tournament in Basketball and Baseball instead of the 20 teams they have in this crazy cycle that ends this year. Bay and Wonderview girls  both played 5 games in last years state tournament that Bay won. That is a pretty tough road to a championship. I been around a long time and I never remember more than a 16 team state tournament till this past year in class A.   

On the other hand 2A caught a break and only had a 12 team tournament during this cycle which made it easier to win. Smaller the number of teams the easier it is just based on number of games it takes to win it.

Glad it goes back to something more normal next year. Still have too many classifications in Basketball in my opinion.   

Moonshiner

Quote from: Oldref on August 02, 2017, 08:48:34 pm
Well at least Class A will go back to a 16 team state tournament in Basketball and Baseball instead of the 20 teams they have in this crazy cycle that ends this year. Bay and Wonderview girls  both played 5 games in last years state tournament that Bay won. That is a pretty tough road to a championship. I been around a long time and I never remember more than a 16 team state tournament till this past year in class A.   

On the other hand 2A caught a break and only had a 12 team tournament during this cycle which made it easier to win. Smaller the number of teams the easier it is just based on number of games it takes to win it.

Glad it goes back to something more normal next year. Still have too many classifications in Basketball in my opinion.   

That last statement is pretty much what I was getting at Oldref. We don't a 16 team class. 

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Moonshiner on August 03, 2017, 10:13:11 am
That last statement is pretty much what I was getting at Oldref. We don't a 16 team class.

At least now we won't have but one 16 team class instead of 2.

Moonshiner

Ice Water

I noticed this going back over the numbers today. Mountian Pine and Caddo Hills both have 118 students. To divide evenly into 3 classifications, one would be the smallest 2A and the other the largest 1A. How does the AAA handle that?

It's worth noting that if these new charter schools are not included (HH-Rogers, New School, NWA Classical, etc...), then the diving line will move and both MP and CH would be 1A.

bobcats

Quote from: Ice Water on August 04, 2017, 01:46:51 pm
I noticed this going back over the numbers today. Mountian Pine and Caddo Hills both have 118 students. To divide evenly into 3 classifications, one would be the smallest 2A and the other the largest 1A. How does the AAA handle that?

It's worth noting that if these new charter schools are not included (HH-Rogers, New School, NWA Classical, etc...), then the diving line will move and both MP and CH would be 1A.

Ice Water, I am hearing Cossatot will be 2A next cycle as Math and Science will be the 65th team in 3A, not that they will ever have a team but could have individuals who may compete in some sport.  That would solve your above problem.

no mascot

I thought the math and science academy kids went to hot springs for sports. Am I wrong on this?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: no mascot on August 04, 2017, 03:25:10 pm
I thought the math and science academy kids went to hot springs for sports. Am I wrong on this?

Used to be that way...

NWA Hawg

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 04, 2017, 03:29:53 pm
Used to be that way...

I'm pretty sure it still is. I know one of hot Springs better football players is a math and science student from Arkadelphia

bobcats

All that is true.  All I can say is maybe they needed them to even things out.

Head Lion

Quote from: Oldref on August 02, 2017, 08:48:34 pm

yea, if we were going to cut to 6, might as well go to 5 like La & Mo. & do it right.

JimmyChitwood

I'm very sad that South Side Bee Branch eill be moving up to 2A. That will hurt many old rivalries that have close geographical proximity.

ZacAttack

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on August 06, 2017, 02:36:30 pm
I'm very sad that South Side Bee Branch eill be moving up to 2A. That will hurt many old rivalries that have close geographical proximity.
They can still play games pre-conference.  I'm sure West Side, Shirley, Rural Special, and Clinton would play them.

bobcats

Quote from: ZacAttack on August 06, 2017, 05:40:40 pm
They can still play games pre-conference.  I'm sure West Side, Shirley, Rural Special, and Clinton would play them.

To be a real rival the teams have to have a hatred for each other.  Often the only way to schedule those games is through a conference where they have to play. 

ballmember

Horsefeathers ,  do you think the final conference decision will be made soon.   Does what Icewater posted look realistic for them to approve.      Viola to Greers Ferry will be an interesting drive, for example.   However, i understand the AAA really doesnt have much interest in A schools.  All the interest is for more politicians to close more down , so they can have quality education like all the poor kids in Little Rock get.

ballmember

Icewater , with only 8 conferences looks like you did a good job.   Northcentral is hills  and curves but don't know how to do different.    Need 10 conferences for A to make travel right.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on August 08, 2017, 11:59:51 am
Horsefeathers ,  do you think the final conference decision will be made soon.   Does what Icewater posted look realistic for them to approve.      Viola to Greers Ferry will be an interesting drive, for example.   However, i understand the AAA really doesnt have much interest in A schools.  All the interest is for more politicians to close more down , so they can have quality education like all the poor kids in Little Rock get.

Seems I read somewhere that they should be out by end of next month(don't count on that tough)

Quote from: ballmember on August 08, 2017, 04:07:48 pm
Icewater , with only 8 conferences looks like you did a good job.   Northcentral is hills  and curves but don't know how to do different.    Need 10 conferences for A to make travel right.   

why 10?

ballmember

just to make them smaller. with that, example, viola and westside would not be in same conference. 

bluegrassboy75

BannerMountainMan

Guy, Mt Vernon, and Shirley is the same conf is pretty awesome.

ballmember

I will play devils advocate:  in 2018 I don't know how good Guy, Mve and Shirley senior boys will be:  Guy will probably lose its coach/recruiter after this year; MVE has a new coach after losing one that got max out of his talent; and Shirley will have graduated another large senior class.       However, this conference makes sense.  Much like it was aligned many years ago.   Travel will not be real bad:  Timbo to Sacred Heart/Morrilton 74 miles or Concord to Morrilton 82 miles.     These schools are at the extreme ends or furthest away.      Mt Vernon to Timbo another long one. 

Oldref

Some pretty long trips in some of these conferences but I still like it better than the blended stuff. Mammoth Spring to Armorel is a long trip....... probably close to 130 miles but about 75% of that is now four lane highway. Really hard to believe that Brinkley is going to be class A. They used to be a much larger school and I believe played in the same league as Forrest City and Marianna years ago.

FaceInTheCrowd

Overall the new conferences look pretty fair. You'd have to be dedicated to play basketball for Dermott.  Their travel in 1A-8 would be brutal.  The closest conference game is an hour away and most are 2+.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: FaceInTheCrowd on September 12, 2017, 10:59:24 am
Overall the new conferences look pretty fair. You'd have to be dedicated to play basketball for Dermott.  Their travel in 1A-8 would be brutal.  The closest conference game is an hour away and most are 2+.

Or coach in Dermott

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas