• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have my hands on it....

Started by AirWarren, June 24, 2017, 10:40:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

~WPS~

Snell wasn't well known his 10th grade year, was a good safety but rarely played offense. Everyone knows what he turned into. There's a potential future star QB in that same situation this year. The 10th grade class is loaded, and there's more behind them.

This year's senior class, while small, has plenty of talent. The offensive line is the biggest unknown, a lot of young guys will get playing time. By the end of the regular season the positions in question on this team won't be young and inexperienced anymore, they'll be primed for a playoff run.

Neckred

Quote from: polksalet on July 05, 2017, 01:05:18 pm
They're there, they're just young.
Who?  Im talking freaks like Hopkins, Whitmore, Pettway etc...   These are guys who can explode, crazy dunkers in basketball, freaks in track

AirWarren

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: Neckred on July 05, 2017, 02:20:38 pm
Who?  Im talking freaks like Hopkins, Whitmore, Pettway etc...   These are guys who can explode, crazy dunkers in basketball, freaks in track
You do know that's the history of Nashville since the 90's right. They've always had freak athletes. Every team suffers a down year ever so often. For Nashville to succeed they need true leadership and a good oline and dline. The athletes will always be there but that doesn't mean anything without the yard of scrimmage. If you want those athletes keep an close eye on this year's square and so on. You'll see what I mean...

scrapman

Don't think Nashville had the best talent in the conference this past year.  They were probably 3rd or so...if you look at where the college coaches spend their time then that will also show this to be true. Talent doesn't always win games.  Tradition, coaching, work ethic, small details, etc wins games...we all know the saying about Jimi and Joe, they help, but this is not always the case.

Mr. Mercer

I agree with you about the talent, but I think where Nashville had the better talent or at least group was their Oline. That can make up for a lot! Look at Ashdown. Good skill guys. Zero lineman. Hill was sacked like 16 times against Robinson.  Although I think Ashdown athletes have been a little over blown.

scrapman

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on July 05, 2017, 10:36:19 pm
I agree with you about the talent, but I think where Nashville had the better talent or at least group was their Oline. That can make up for a lot! Look at Ashdown. Good skill guys. Zero lineman. Hill was sacked like 16 times against Robinson.  Although I think Ashdown athletes have been a little over blown.
Nashville was good on the OL. Those 5 guys will be tough to replace.  Always hard to replace game reps. On the other hand 2 of those 5 were first year starters/players, 1 was a backup before and the other just came out for football his sr year.  I'm sure there are some players we can stick in there and get the job done.

polksalet

Jefferson and Henderson could easily turn out to be d-1. But there'll never be another Darius Hopkins running around the ville.

scrapman

Quote from: polksalet on July 06, 2017, 02:47:29 am
Jefferson and Henderson could easily turn out to be d-1. But there'll never be another Darius Hopkins running around the ville.
Neither are D1. Don't drink the cool aid man...Darius was a great back but he did not have a single D1 offer. Don't tell me it was because academics either. I heard he was very close to being D1 eligible and anyways, there are tons of kids that have multiple offers/sign every year that are not qualified. He only had offers from half the GAC schools for that matter.  If you are D1 you have D1 offers.

~WPS~

July 06, 2017, 09:22:26 am #109 Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:35:30 am by ~WPS~
Nashville has never been a D1 factory, but there have been a lot of very good athletes that know how to win and play as a team. I'd imagine a key to the success over the years is that all the players would rather have team success than individual success. That doesn't happen everywhere, look over in Little River county.

In the past 15 years, Nashville has had about 40 players sign to play college football, 5 were D1, 2 actually played a snap in a D1 game. Yet there are 4 state titles in that timespan. Teams like Warren had 3 NFL players on the same team and couldn't win a state title. Look at Ashdown they have a roster full of D1s yearly, they do well to get past the 1st round. Robinson last year D1 players at every position. Well you say line play is always the difference, Nashville has had 1 D1 lineman and that was last year (Adcock). The rest are guys that may not be good enough for D1 but they're still pretty good.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Quote from: ~WPS~ on July 06, 2017, 09:22:26 am
Nashville has never been a D1 factory, but there have been a lot of very good athletes that know how to win and play as a team. I'd imagine a key to the success over the years is that all the players would rather have team success than individual success. That doesn't happen everywhere, look over in Little River county.

In the past 15 years, Nashville has had about 40 players sign to play college football, 5 were D1, 2 actually played a snap in a D1 game. Yet there are 4 state titles in that timespan. Teams like Warren had 3 NFL players on the same team and couldn't win a state title. Look at Ashdown they have a roster full of D1s yearly, they do well to get past the 1st round. Robinson last year D1 players at every position. Well you say line play is always the difference, Nashville has had 1 D1 lineman and that was last year (Adcock). The rest are guys that may not be good enough for D1 but they're still pretty good.

Let's not forget now, Warren also has 4 state titles during that same time span.  Admittedly the Jacks have had their struggles against Nashville in the post-season, but it's not like Warren didn't have success against Nashville during this time.  Beat them when they were #1 at Warren in 2000 and skull drug them around the Hill in 2001 (I'm pretty sure that's still the most points every surrendered to an opponent at home for Nashville).  Warren is also one of the most controversial state title game calls away from beating Nashville in the title game for a 5th state title. 

So yes, Nashville has beaten some loaded Warren teams through the years in the play-offs but as we've stated, you've got to have superb line play (OL and DL) to compliment a stable full of horses.  The Jacks struggled with line play the years of "The Big 3" and unfortunately paid the price with no titles to show.  Lesser talented Warren teams have hoisted the trophy though, case in point 2014 team.  Good but far from the greatest to ever play for the Orange and Black. 

I think instead of bickering and pulling straws to see who is best we as a collective fan base should step back and appreciate the fact that Warren and Nashville have combined to win 8 of the last 16 state titles in what is now 4A.  Also, beyond that, they've played each other for the title one year (2006) and were runner-up another two times (Nashville 2000, Warren 2013). The Orange and Black reign over this classification is evident and honestly, no other school comes close to the kind of dominance the Scrappers and Jacks have shown.  Let's appreciate this instead of cutting each other down.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd rather beat Nashville than any other team in class 4A (Stuttgart is a close 2nd though).  Here's to hoping the teams can meet again this fall and put our arguments to bed--for at least one night.  I still wish we could get a non-conference series together again with the Scrappers but they might not have enough bulbs on their scoreboard for that.....

-Kyle

AirWarren

Neckred

Quote from: ~WPS~ on July 06, 2017, 09:22:26 am

Very good points but I think the lineman this year are a big concern for the Scrappers

scrapman

Quote from: Neckred on July 06, 2017, 10:33:19 am
Very good points but I think the lineman this year are a big concern for the Scrappers
Like how big...that is a pretty vague statement. They averaged the most ppg ever in AAA history last year I believe so by returning the top 2 WR, QB, a 2 time 1000 yard back and several very good young skill guys, this should put them to where????....21 ppg, 17, 42, 48?  The Scrap will be fine. Maybe not the most talented team ever but the cupboard is not dry.

Neckred

Oh they will be good but just not state title contender good.  For sure not as good as last year

polksalet

Quote from: scrapman on July 06, 2017, 05:04:25 am
Neither are D1. Don't drink the cool aid man...Darius was a great back but he did not have a single D1 offer. Don't tell me it was because academics either. I heard he was very close to being D1 eligible and anyways, there are tons of kids that have multiple offers/sign every year that are not qualified. He only had offers from half the GAC schools for that matter.  If you are D1 you have D1 offers.

Darius is the best back I've ever seen play for nashville. That doesn't mean he's Bo Jackson though.

~WPS~

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on July 06, 2017, 10:01:15 am
Let's not forget now, Warren also has 4 state titles during that same time span.  Admittedly the Jacks have had their struggles against Nashville in the post-season, but it's not like Warren didn't have success against Nashville during this time.  Beat them when they were #1 at Warren in 2000 and skull drug them around the Hill in 2001 (I'm pretty sure that's still the most points every surrendered to an opponent at home for Nashville).  Warren is also one of the most controversial state title game calls away from beating Nashville in the title game for a 5th state title. 

So yes, Nashville has beaten some loaded Warren teams through the years in the play-offs but as we've stated, you've got to have superb line play (OL and DL) to compliment a stable full of horses.  The Jacks struggled with line play the years of "The Big 3" and unfortunately paid the price with no titles to show.  Lesser talented Warren teams have hoisted the trophy though, case in point 2014 team.  Good but far from the greatest to ever play for the Orange and Black. 

I think instead of bickering and pulling straws to see who is best we as a collective fan base should step back and appreciate the fact that Warren and Nashville have combined to win 8 of the last 16 state titles in what is now 4A.  Also, beyond that, they've played each other for the title one year (2006) and were runner-up another two times (Nashville 2000, Warren 2013). The Orange and Black reign over this classification is evident and honestly, no other school comes close to the kind of dominance the Scrappers and Jacks have shown.  Let's appreciate this instead of cutting each other down.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd rather beat Nashville than any other team in class 4A (Stuttgart is a close 2nd though).  Here's to hoping the teams can meet again this fall and put our arguments to bed--for at least one night.  I still wish we could get a non-conference series together again with the Scrappers but they might not have enough bulbs on their scoreboard for that.....

-Kyle

I wasn't trying to knock Warren. My point was D1 players doesn't equal success. And as you pointed out Warren has won state titles with teams that weren't loaded with D1 players.

~WPS~

Quote from: Neckred on July 06, 2017, 10:33:19 am

No doubt. Without watching practice every day there's no way to know what to expect. I figure there will be a learning curve at first, but I expect the line will be a lot better as the year goes on.

~WPS~

Quote from: Neckred on July 06, 2017, 11:51:44 am
Oh they will be good but just not state title contender good.  For sure not as good as last year
How good the defense can be will have a big impact as well. That's another unknown going into the year. If the defense can be better than last years that will increase the chance of making a run.

polksalet

Quote from: ~WPS~ on July 06, 2017, 02:19:06 pm
How good the defense can be will have a big impact as well. That's another unknown going into the year. If the defense can be better than last years that will increase the chance of making a run.

We got curb stomped by pr last year and lost most of our best defensive players from that squad.

~WPS~

Quote from: polksalet on July 06, 2017, 03:29:54 pm
We got curb stomped by pr last year and lost most of our best defensive players from that squad.
Don't be so optimistic. Lol

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Im curious...How many times have Warren and Nashville been to War Memorial since the 90's?

AirWarren

Quote from: SOUTHWESTPOWER49 on July 06, 2017, 06:59:29 pm
Im curious...How many times have Warren and Nashville been to War Memorial since the 90's?

6 times for Warren.

~WPS~

July 06, 2017, 07:23:16 pm #123 Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:27:20 pm by ~WPS~
Nashville - 9

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

~WPS~

93, 95, 96, 99, 00, 05, 06, 07, 15

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: ~WPS~ on July 06, 2017, 07:27:07 pm
93, 95, 96, 99, 00, 05, 06, 07, 15
Pretty impressive right along with Warren's.

~WPS~

Crazy that they've only met in the finals once.

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: ~WPS~ on July 06, 2017, 07:31:57 pm
Crazy that they've only met in the finals once.
Really? Thats insane. Hopefully Nashville will surprise everyone and end up at War Memorial this year for round 2. It seems like a long shot due to the unknowns of this squad but I could happen. I mean, this is Nashville we're talking about lol. 

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

I remember the days of Nashville boasting a roster of 80-90 plus players yearly. That was up into the 3peat years and the talent was unmatched. Those were the days that Nashville was feared because you knew what was coming and it was nothing you could do about it...minus the Hope loss in '05 and the CAC loss in '07. It's crazy that even after those 3peat years they still only lost 4 games up till '09. If you go back from 2004 to 2009 they'd only lost 5 games. That's unreal...

~WPS~

July 06, 2017, 08:38:03 pm #130 Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:41:35 pm by ~WPS~
33 game win streak from 05-07. 30 game road win streak from 04-09. Started at least 11-0 4 of 6 years from 04-09. Dawson was 65-4 in his first stint. But Billy Laird got it going in the 90s. He won at least 10 games in every season except his first and last, he was 129-34 in 12 years. Also had a 45 game home win streak from 95-00. A lot of success in Nashville over the last 25 years, 275-60 since 92 with 5 state titles, 4 runner-ups, 14 conference titles, and 68-20 playoff record.

The success isn't limited to a few decades though. Nashville is 3rd in the state in all-time wins. 774-331-27 in 105 seasons.

STUNNA

Hembree is 166-37 in his time at Warren so far... I'll venture to say he gets to 200 wins before he gets to 40 losses with talent he has and has coming!!!

cuckoobird

STUNNA

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 07, 2017, 08:55:11 am
I'll take that bet

He will be at 181 at the end of this year..lol

cuckoobird

Assuming he doesn't lose 3 and there's a good chance. Much less over 2 additional years. Too many ? Imho to be that confident

STUNNA

Only chance he has is to go undefeated this season.. but going undefeated is a tough task.. but this team will be good enough to do it.

cuckoobird

Quote from: STUNNA on July 07, 2017, 09:33:35 am
Only chance he has is to go undefeated this season.. but going undefeated is a tough task.. but this team will be good enough to do it.
My guess is it will be a 2 lose season this year

Romeo

Quote from: STUNNA on July 07, 2017, 08:19:17 am
Hembree is 166-37 in his time at Warren so far... I'll venture to say he gets to 200 wins before he gets to 40 losses with talent he has and has coming!!!

176-43-1

cuckoobird

I win!! What did we bet?!! I think it wasa long wheelbase $10

STUNNA

polksalet

Quote from: SOUTHWESTPOWER49 on July 06, 2017, 07:45:14 pm
I remember the days of Nashville boasting a roster of 80-90 plus players yearly. That was up into the 3peat years and the talent was unmatched. Those were the days that Nashville was feared because you knew what was coming and it was nothing you could do about it...minus the Hope loss in '05 and the CAC loss in '07. It's crazy that even after those 3peat years they still only lost 4 games up till '09. If you go back from 2004 to 2009 they'd only lost 5 games. That's unreal...

I remember a year when there were like 117 on the field.

Romeo

2000 was his first season. Finished 8-4.

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: polksalet on July 07, 2017, 02:07:22 pm
I remember a year when there were like 117 on the field.
The band use to have 120+. Now it's more like 30 to 40. Nashville would literally need 6 busses during away games.

scrapman

Quote from: polksalet on July 06, 2017, 03:29:54 pm
That may be a good thing.

polksalet

Quote from: SOUTHWESTPOWER49 on July 07, 2017, 02:49:43 pm
The band use to have 120+. Now it's more like 30 to 40. Nashville would literally need 6 busses during away games.
When we had a big band murfreesboro was our daddy on the field.

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: polksalet on July 07, 2017, 10:58:40 pm
When we had a big band murfreesboro was our daddy on the field.
Umm... This was during the 90s through the mid 2000s. You must be talking about the 80s or something lol.

polksalet

Quote from: SOUTHWESTPOWER49 on July 07, 2017, 11:30:29 pm
Umm... This was during the 90s through the mid 2000s. You must be talking about the 80s or something lol.

I don't remember the band being that big in the 90's. Then again I really don't pay much attention to the band.

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: polksalet on July 08, 2017, 12:17:21 am
I don't remember the band being that big in the 90's. Then again I really don't pay much attention to the band.
I didn't either but I did have 2 cousins that played on the 97 98 99 squads and the band was huge.

cuckoobird

You know it's going to be a tough year for the crappers when they start talking about the band...

scrapman

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 08, 2017, 09:50:33 am
You know it's going to be a tough year for the crappers when they start talking about the band...
It just gets noticed a lot when they strike it up every time we score. I'm sure you have one too

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas