• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA issues

Started by MoTownDog, June 21, 2017, 07:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MoTownDog

Attention parents of athletes:  if your child has eligibility issues for school ball, save your time and just hire an attorney.

AAA's answer will be no without anybody even looking at any evidence or circumstances.  They don't answer to anybody and are made up of school administrators who use bully tactics in daily business

It's a sham grown adults will file complaints to keep a kid from playing a season of basketball.   It's also a sham that the AAA could cares less about our children's success.

The state can't take them over quick enough. 

Proud Buckaroo

What exactly was the complaint in question?

WHITEchicken

Yeah your kid or anyone else's kid not playing a season of high school basketball is going to equate to a lifetime of nothing because he/she did not succeed in high school sports.

Brian G

You can blame the hundreds of people that have abused the system for years and years for such rules being in place.

Jimbo Morphis

June 22, 2017, 05:37:20 am #4 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:39:13 am by Oldman
If my child had eligibility issues the AAA would be the least of their worries and I can promise you they would not be playing basketball.

AirWarren

June 22, 2017, 08:15:22 am #5 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:16:53 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Oldman on June 22, 2017, 05:37:20 am
If my child had eligibility issues the AAA would be the least of their worries and I can promise you they would not be playing basketball.

Bazinga.

Starts at home. At once again, it's the not the AAA, school, coach, etc to teach the kid accountability.

Follow the rules. Or pay the price. Life begins the day you graduate. And once that happens, nobody gives a flying flip what a letterman jacket Momma or daddy thinks.

Dr. Defense

Take ownership of problems instead of blaming everyone else

AirWarren

Quote from: Dr. Defense on June 22, 2017, 05:08:18 pm

If in doubt. Get a lawyer. They will take care of your "issues"

HorseFeathers

You've met 99% of millennials right?

AirWarren

nuttinbuthogs

This is the age of "not my fault", "not my kids fault".  You have to fix it so I like it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on June 23, 2017, 04:51:43 pm
This is the age of "not my fault", "not my kids fault".  You have to fix it so I like it.

I'm offended by this 8)

....that said, I guess being offended means they put down their cell phone long enough to hear someone....

beach bum

The main thing is the guy goes on a complete rant, yet does not fill in any specifics whatsoever about the situation.... Just some vague "AAA this, AAA that". At least have some specifics behind that much passion of a situation. No one will take it seriously when there is about 99 of the 100 pieces missing to the puzzle. He hasn't even come back to post to "enlighten" us more on the specifics of the situation.

Proud Buckaroo

This guy really doesn't want the state to take over AAA. They think it's bad now.....

HorseFeathers

Beach bum....dude didn't even say the AAA was wrong for making his kid sit out.. just that he should have hired an attorney and sued to get his way

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 23, 2017, 07:14:17 pm
Beach bum....dude didn't even say the AAA was wrong for making his kid sit out.. just that he should have hired an attorney and sued to get his way

I just noticed that.... He didn't even clarify enough to say if he broke the rules or not. That could be a good starting point.

we_hate_the_band

In the words of Encino Man from Generation Kill,

"It was the enemy who stole your food from you, and you should be really, really mad at them. Before we step off on this next mission, I'm reminding you of who your enemy is. The enemy."

Proud Buckaroo

I'm just waiting for the reason his kid cannot play..

Skip Baymore

Quote from: beach bum on June 23, 2017, 07:32:52 pm
I just noticed that.... He didn't even clarify enough to say if he broke the rules or not. That could be a good starting point.

+1.  I want to listen but some specifics are needed here.  Unless he is saying that there should be no eligibility/requirement rules for high school students who also want to participate in sports?  That is how his comment actually reads to me.  More info. is needed.  I do personally know some people who always seem to be in need of an attorney, usually a prosecuting attorney.  And it aint the world usually, its them.   Anyway, starting to get carried away here, but its because football season is about to be on the horizon!

sevenof400

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 23, 2017, 06:22:06 pm
This guy really doesn't want the state to take over AAA. They think it's bad now.....

I still don't get this line of thinking.  If the state did take over AAA there would at least be accountability - which is non existent at present.

AAA answers to no one at present and oversight is exactly what is needed.

HorseFeathers

June 25, 2017, 08:39:32 am #20 Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:43:54 am by HorseFeathers
Quote from: sevenof400 on June 25, 2017, 08:32:12 am
I still don't get this line of thinking.  If the state did take over AAA there would at least be accountability - which is non existent at present.

Why?

As far as the AAA answers to noone....Then the 300+ schools that make up the AAA should have a problem with that and solve it....

Rulesman

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 25, 2017, 08:32:12 am

Accountable to who? I have a bridge for sale in lower Manhattan if you think POLITICIANS are the answer.

The AAA is a self-governing organization. The board is made up of representatives of the MEMBER SCHOOLS to are accountable to those schools. What part of that is so hard to understand?

beach bum

Quote from: Rulesman on June 25, 2017, 10:45:37 am
Accountable to who? I have a bridge for sale in lower Manhattan if you think POLITICIANS are the answer.

Now that's funny....

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 25, 2017, 08:39:32 am
Why?

As far as the AAA answers to noone....Then the 300+ schools that make up the AAA should have a problem with that and solve it....

Exactly, the schools seem like they could assert as much power as they wanted. For some reason they don't seem to be taking control on issues like they should because you are right that they hold all the marbles if they wanted.

sevenof400

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 25, 2017, 08:39:32 am
Why?

The problem with the AAA as it is currently structured is that it does NOT represent the interests of -all- parties who are a part of high school athletics.  Certainly, administrators are overwhelmingly represented in AAA, but the interests of coaches, parents and athletes are NOT represented in/by AAA.  Those groups have become the de facto third estate of Arkansas high school sports.

AAA is overstaffed in the central office and when one considers the number of things AAA cannot or will not do, what are they doing to earn even a penny of anyone's gate revenue come playoff time?  For that matter, what can't AAA produce the game results and standings for all sports on a timely basis?  That surely is a simple function when compared to matters of policy and yet AAA can't even make a meaningful effort in that regard. 

I know this discussion has been with us in the past, but look at the recent decisions implemented by AAA and make the case of how they help schools, coaches, players and parents?  Those blended conferences have been a complete and utter failure. 

sevenof400

June 26, 2017, 01:56:34 am #25 Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:59:21 am by sevenof400

The AAA is a self-governing organization. The board is made up of representatives of the MEMBER SCHOOLS to are accountable to those schools. What part of that is so hard to understand?

Those who are entrenched in the AAA are worse than politicians - what kind of turnover do they have?  Who elected or appointed these people to their positions?  Who is judging the quality of their work (the AAA directors)?  What exactly is AAA doing?

At best, AAA is only a rules making body and if that is their only function, why do they need so many people in the NLR office?  There are currently 15 people listed on the AAA staff page  and (as I noted previously) they can't even promote high school sports in this state. 

As presently constructed, the AAA is far too large (too many representatives) to be effective.  If it were smaller, decisions and consensus would be easier to achieve and you might see a more nimble, more responsive and responsible body. 

Quote from: beach bum on June 25, 2017, 01:16:16 pm
Exactly, the schools seem like they could assert as much power as they wanted. For some reason they don't seem to be taking control on issues like they should because you are right that they hold all the marbles if they wanted.

But therein lies the problem - in order to get enough schools to achieve a consensus to force an issue is a monumental undertaking with so many schools.  Maybe the solution is to have one representative per conference instead of school but whatever the improvement needs to be, maintaining the status quo is NOT the solution. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 26, 2017, 01:43:07 am
The problem with the AAA as it is currently structured is that it does NOT represent the interests of -all- parties who are a part of high school athletics.  Certainly, administrators are overwhelmingly represented in AAA, but the interests of coaches, parents and athletes are NOT represented in/by AAA.  Those groups have become the de facto third estate of Arkansas high school sports.

AAA is overstaffed in the central office and when one considers the number of things AAA cannot or will not do, what are they doing to earn even a penny of anyone's gate revenue come playoff time?  For that matter, what can't AAA produce the game results and standings for all sports on a timely basis?  That surely is a simple function when compared to matters of policy and yet AAA can't even make a meaningful effort in that regard. 

I know this discussion has been with us in the past, but look at the recent decisions implemented by AAA and make the case of how they help schools, coaches, players and parents?  Those blended conferences have been a complete and utter failure. 

The move to maxpreps has improved the score reporting by schools in the major sports....which then improved the conference standings. The problem with that again lies with the schools, parents and athletes....especially at the smaller level... Ive made basketball standings threads on here before...and everybody wants to gripe but nobody wants to help.

The blended conference's came from the school proposals not the AAA(initially Siloam springs started throwing a fit about this around 2008)...

And I don't think the government taking over AAA would solve anything...as then it probably becomes like the rest of government and the current AAA already is...if you don't have the money to get their attention or already know someone in power...then your opinion won't mean anything. Especially if your from a 4a school or smaller....

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 26, 2017, 04:48:26 am
The move to maxpreps has improved the score reporting by schools in the major sports....which then improved the conference standings. The problem with that again lies with the schools, parents and athletes....especially at the smaller level... Ive made basketball standings threads on here before...and everybody wants to gripe but nobody wants to help.

The blended conference's came from the school proposals not the AAA(initially Siloam springs started throwing a fit about this around 2008)...

And I don't think the government taking over AAA would solve anything...as then it probably becomes like the rest of government and the current AAA already is...if you don't have the money to get their attention or already know someone in power...then your opinion won't mean anything. Especially if your from a 4a school or smaller....

You get a slow clap for this post.... Spot on in every point and I could not agree more.

sevenof400

I feel your pain on this one....

I think it was Mountain Home that started the blended movement but regardless of the school that started it, AAA should have done more to anticipate the outcomes and find better solutions.  That's the problem - AAA is everyone and no one when it wants to be. 

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 26, 2017, 04:48:26 amAnd I don't think the government taking over AAA would solve anything...as then it probably becomes like the rest of government and the current AAA already is...if you don't have the money to get their attention or already know someone in power...then your opinion won't mean anything. Especially if your from a 4a school or smaller....

I still believe this would be the best solution of all given that AAA is unlikely to reform itself.  A smaller (in number) body of representatives that represents all interests within high school sports (across all size levels) could be selected.  A smaller body is usually more able to act and react to situations.  Thinking ahead, if the proposal for an ejection review passes, AAA is going to have to identify small standing committees for the purposes of hearing ejection repeals.   Scaling back the number of AAA representatives is a good place to start.

cuckoobird

Didn't you know the government can legislate all our problems away...

Jimbo Morphis

Build a wall around the state. Making the AAA great again.

Rulesman

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 26, 2017, 03:26:37 pm
...or add to them.

HorseFeathers

Sevenof400....I think we tend to agree on the issue....just not the solution....

....are there any other states that the government is over the high school athletics?

Proud Buckaroo

I agree on the issues. But I just don't agree with the state taking over could make it any better.

Brian G

Maybe I can get on the board. :)

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 26, 2017, 03:26:37 pm

I was under the impression you have been driving all around Arkansas County with a "Bernie 2016" and "Feel the Bern" stickers still on your vehicle  :o

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on June 26, 2017, 06:06:13 pm

Is that otherwise known as the nuclear option?   ;D

sevenof400

In all seriousness, maintaining the status quo is not getting the job done today (and not for a long time).  I would hope that a state takeover of the AHSAA would result in an independent commission tasked with running AHSAA in a more efficient and responsive manner.  I understand those of you who fear (and rightly so) how bad government can screw up something, but there are times when they (the government) do get things right.  Perhaps it might take a Hail Mary or two, but anything has to be better than where we are at present.

HorseFeathers, I don't know the answer to your question about state governments running high school athletics but as I read around a bit, I might try and find how other states govern their high school athletics.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2017, 12:46:42 am
In all seriousness, maintaining the status quo is not getting the job done today (and not for a long time). 

In what ways are they "not getting the job done"?

Jimbo Morphis

Lets put the people in charge who thought it was ok for everyone to have a gun in Razorback stadium. They love to start fires and beat themselves on the chest for putting them out. Stole that from Hogville and it describes our state govt. well.

cuckoobird

Quote from: B.G. on June 26, 2017, 06:06:13 pm
No thanks, you've already ruined FF, it used to be fun.

cuckoobird

Quote from: beach bum on June 26, 2017, 10:48:17 pm
I was under the impression you have been driving all around Arkansas County with a "Bernie 2016" and "Feel the Bern" stickers still on your vehicle  :o
"Bernie for Prison," maybe

Brian G

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 27, 2017, 03:42:52 pm
No thanks, you've already ruined FF, it used to be fun.
Don't try to encourage me.

cuckoobird

I'm not encouraging anything. Just being honest. It's against FF rules to purposely tell something that isn't true

Brian G

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 27, 2017, 06:24:12 pm
I'm not encouraging anything. Just being honest. It's against FF rules to purposely tell something that isn't true
Have you filled out your moderator application?

ricepig

It is?

cuckoobird

Where do i sign up?!! The sponsors will get their money's worth with ole cuck in charge

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 28, 2017, 08:28:10 am
Where do i sign up?!! The sponsors will get their money's worth with ole cuck in charge

I would be the first one banned.

Jimbo Morphis

False, Guv would have been executed years ago.

cuckoobird

June 28, 2017, 11:37:10 am #49 Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:41:59 am by cuckoobird
Naw AW, I would encourage you to post more read less. We would reinstitute free speach, minus vulgarity, and make FF great again. No more blocking posters or posts and calling people trolls just because they disagree with what's being said. If the UAF is terrible it wil be ok to call a spade a spade. No more safeplaces!!!! MERICA!!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas