• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PB back to the South?

Started by ricepig, May 02, 2017, 04:10:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

With Sylvan Hill moving up to 6A, it would seem PB would move back to the South. Of course, the AAA may do a north/south this time, lol.

https://twitter.com/JeremyMuckADG/status/859511888656429056

AHS06

May 02, 2017, 11:12:07 pm #1 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:21:03 pm by AHS06
PB should go back to the South.

Little ole Arkansas High goes bye bye

zebradynasty

I hope its true being in the east just didn't seem right! Hate to see AH go but 5A should become more competitive. I think AH and Parkview will be on the rise.

On a side note it's shocking that Dollarway is now 3A!  :o

AHS06

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 03, 2017, 09:25:33 am
I hope its true being in the east just didn't seem right! Hate to see AH go but 5A should become more competitive. I think AH and Parkview will be on the rise.

Y'all should move back considering Sylvan Hill location.  Do you know if there was a consolidation?  My predictions were AHS would stay 6A but didn't know SH would jump 300 students.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 03, 2017, 09:25:33 am

To me, Dollarway moving down to 3A is not shocking. That district has been losing students for years. It should have been closed 2 years ago and the district split with half going to White hall and half going to Watson Chapel.

ricepig

Quote from: AHS06 on May 03, 2017, 09:54:53 am
Y'all should move back considering Sylvan Hill location.  Do you know if there was a consolidation?  My predictions were AHS would stay 6A but didn't know SH would jump 300 students.

Yeah, kind of funny, Jacksonville and North Pulaski consolidate, and SH jumps 300 students....

zebradynasty

Quote from: AHS06 on May 03, 2017, 09:54:53 am

Not sure where Sylvan Hills is getting it's students from. I am not aware of any consolidations other than North Pulaski and Jacksonville. I don't recall them being that close in 6A enrollment the last time the reclassification were done. I tell you one thing the 6A West or South will be pretty stout!

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on May 03, 2017, 10:03:25 am
To me, Dollarway moving down to 3A is not shocking. That district has been losing students for years. It should have been closed 2 years ago and the district split with half going to White hall and half going to Watson Chapel.

Closing Dollarway is not an option. At least not right now. White Hall would rather die and Chapel is just like PB can't stand the academic hit. Look forward to possibly a Junction City vs Dollarway matchup!

Titan Spirit

Quote from: ricepig on May 03, 2017, 10:24:21 am
Yeah, kind of funny, Jacksonville and North Pulaski consolidate, and SH jumps 300 students....

Sherwood and Jacksonville do not get along. A few years ago Sherwood was able to annex the Gravel Ridge area in a vote they chose to go to Sherwood. That area has Northwood Jr. High which was the feeder for NP(which is in the Jacksonville city limits). Sherwood kept the Northwood Jr. High building in the the Pulaski County Special School district and I believe it is not SH Freshman(not 100% on that).
A lot of the North Pulaski students live within the sherwood city limits in the Gravel Ridge Area. Those kids had a choice of which school to attend if I understand it correctly. Sylvan Hills/Sherwood therfore took in many more kids than Jacksonville did(that and everyone else that could get out of Jville left). The last cycle the numbers were counted like Jacksonville was getting all the NP kids and SH did not get any of those counted against their numbers. SH should have been 6A this past cycle but they were able to avoid it. The advantage Jacksonville has not is that they are out of the PCSSD and able to control their own way in the future. They have a new high school that should be built 2019 I believe that should attract some kids back to the area(it better my taxes just went thru the roof).
Meanwhile Sylvan Hills is booming and getting a new school as well which will prolly be done just in time for them to ditch PCSSD.
With all these factors Jacksonville sports has really suffered over the past few years and its pretty sad. Boys Basketball and most of the time Boys Baseball are the only sports that seem to be competitive at all at this point.

Another factor costing Jacksonville number is Lighthouse. They have been able to get a lot kids from Jacksonville high including 2 of the top players in the freshman class in Basketball. Not sure if the new high school will draw the kids back or not.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Titan Spirit on May 03, 2017, 10:58:12 am
Sherwood and Jacksonville do not get along. A few years ago Sherwood was able to annex the Gravel Ridge area in a vote they chose to go to Sherwood. That area has Northwood Jr. High which was the feeder for NP(which is in the Jacksonville city limits). Sherwood kept the Northwood Jr. High building in the the Pulaski County Special School district and I believe it is not SH Freshman(not 100% on that).
A lot of the North Pulaski students live within the sherwood city limits in the Gravel Ridge Area. Those kids had a choice of which school to attend if I understand it correctly. Sylvan Hills/Sherwood therfore took in many more kids than Jacksonville did(that and everyone else that could get out of Jville left). The last cycle the numbers were counted like Jacksonville was getting all the NP kids and SH did not get any of those counted against their numbers. SH should have been 6A this past cycle but they were able to avoid it. The advantage Jacksonville has not is that they are out of the PCSSD and able to control their own way in the future. They have a new high school that should be built 2019 I believe that should attract some kids back to the area(it better my taxes just went thru the roof).
Meanwhile Sylvan Hills is booming and getting a new school as well which will prolly be done just in time for them to ditch PCSSD.
With all these factors Jacksonville sports has really suffered over the past few years and its pretty sad. Boys Basketball and most of the time Boys Baseball are the only sports that seem to be competitive at all at this point.

Another factor costing Jacksonville number is Lighthouse. They have been able to get a lot kids from Jacksonville high including 2 of the top players in the freshman class in Basketball. Not sure if the new high school will draw the kids back or not.

Thanks for the info.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 03, 2017, 10:35:59 am
Closing Dollarway is not an option. At least not right now. White Hall would rather die and Chapel is just like PB can't stand the academic hit. Look forward to possibly a Junction City vs Dollarway matchup!

The State came very close to shutting Dollarway down a few years back but somehow the district managed to get off of the list of "In distress" districts. They are in such bad shape financially that they can't even afford to do the needed repairs to make their football field playable. They had to play 2 games at UAPB and the rest away last year. Their situation this year looks to be similar.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on May 03, 2017, 12:08:07 pm
The State came very close to shutting Dollarway down a few years back but somehow the district managed to get off of the list of "In distress" districts. They are in such bad shape financially that they can't even afford to do the needed repairs to make their football field playable. They had to play 2 games at UAPB and the rest away last year. Their situation this year looks to be similar.

Procedure said close the district but common sense prevailed and they worked out another plan. The state agreed that closing Dollarway would have been a much bigger mess than the one it was suppose to solve. The football field situation is not as bad as it sounds. Beside that outside of the high school the rest of Dollarway schools facility wise are in good shape. Can't close a district just because they can't afford to renovate or build a new football field.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas