• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Region 3 @ Manila

Started by Head Lion, April 28, 2017, 12:01:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 07, 2017, 04:28:32 pm
Not this one

Correct, I don't know 3A competition, I figure if you made it out of district, you had to have some ability. We've pitched off, but it's been against LR Hall, who usually hasn't beaten any school in the classification, much less one or two below.

Head Lion

Best of luck to the Hurricanes.

ricepig

Quote from: Head Lion on May 07, 2017, 05:08:13 pm
Best of luck to the Hurricanes.

Thanks, same to our other NEA baseball playing neighbors. I guess my question is, is it best to win the regional, or have your rotation set for the state tournament?

BoxNOne

Personally, I'd rather get my pitching lined up to try to make the best possible run in state. With that being said, usually you need to get to the regional finals to get yourself in the best situation at state. That is especially true for the Manila regional this year because we are matched up with the toughest 3A region in the state IMO. All four teams in that region are tough but the top two are extremely good.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2017, 05:34:09 pm
Thanks, same to our other NEA baseball playing neighbors. I guess my question is, is it best to win the regional, or have your rotation set for the state tournament?

Best to win it all and never lose.

Head Lion

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 07, 2017, 06:25:45 pm
Personally, I'd rather get my pitching lined up to try to make the best possible run in state. With that being said, usually you need to get to the regional finals to get yourself in the best situation at state. That is especially true for the Manila regional this year because we are matched up with the toughest 3A region in the state IMO. All four teams in that region are tough but the top two are extremely good.
This is true Box, Region 2 is always tough. I kinda mentioned that a year ago when the Rebels came to 3A. HA, Mayflower, Horatio, Smackover & Genoa Central are different animals than 2A teams. All I heard is how I was wrong. These teams I mentioned will be good next year & the next & the next & so on.

BoxNOne

HL, I always knew 3A state in baseball would be tougher than 2A. Baseball is much different than basketball. With only 5 on the court in basketball, if you've got 2-3 good players you can compete with lots of folks. But baseball requires 9 and you need 2-3 of them to be good on the mound. It's a numbers game in baseball and the schools are bigger in 3A. And as you've pointed out before, football has a positive influence on baseball with the weight programs.

Head Lion

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 07, 2017, 07:00:56 pm
HL, I always knew 3A state in baseball would be tougher than 2A. Baseball is much different than basketball. With only 5 on the court in basketball, if you've got 2-3 good players you can compete with lots of folks. But baseball requires 9 and you need 2-3 of them to be good on the mound. It's a numbers game in baseball and the schools are bigger in 3A. And as you've pointed out before, football has a positive influence on baseball with the weight programs.
Exactly, most years in 3A, you have to beat 3 really good teams to win it. Most years in 2A, I would say the depth is not quite there. Best of luck to both our squads, we just lucky to be there starting 6 sophomores & a freshman.

ChokeNPoke

Quote from: General Lee on May 07, 2017, 03:34:36 pm
Nor do they know much about trying to "WIN" a state tournament...not just get there and be happy! Unbelievable that people can't see that the games being pushed back hurts your pitching staff. I'd rather have Gavin on full rest Thursday myself but hey what do I know?
If they are going into the state tournament trying to "WIN" then they're probably not going to waste their ace on the first day anyway. If they get beat using their 2 or 3 early then the same guys probably couldn't beat the teams waiting in the quarters or semifinals.

T-Bone

Quote from: ChokeNPoke on May 07, 2017, 07:13:52 pm
If they are going into the state tournament trying to "WIN" then they're probably not going to waste their ace on the first day anyway. If they get beat using their 2 or 3 early then the same guys probably couldn't beat the teams waiting in the quarters or semifinals.

A teams season is pretty much the most important part and not just state but if you qualify and are going to state and your not trying to win then you don't need to even start the first game. 

Proud Buckaroo

Two years ago. Smackover made the mistake saving Logan Clark for the second game in regionals. Biggest mistake they ever made. They ended up losing to a 3-15 Prescott team and not even making state.

T-Bone

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on May 07, 2017, 07:41:18 pm
Two years ago. Smackover made the mistake saving Logan Clark for the second game in regionals. Biggest mistake they ever made. They ended up losing to a 3-15 Prescott team and not even making state.

I can see it being pretty hard to decide what to do with pitching at times.  For sure some of the smaller schools that may not have the numbers to produce a decent number of pitchers to help.  But there is always one thing that has stuck out in travel ball over the years and the tournaments just like state play.  Once in bracket you had better win that first game.  If you only win the first game then you at least advanced.  If you don't win you go home early.

The Green Arrow

In my opinion, it is best to make the regional finals and lock up that 1 or 2 spot and then set up your pitching, meaning in regional finals you throw someone who gives you a shot but not your best or even maybe your number 2.

Head Lion

Corning 3-1 over Clinton after 3.

Head Lion

Head Lion

Big Country

Quote from: Head Lion on May 08, 2017, 12:08:41 pm
Corning wins 7-5.
A BIG CONGRATS to the Bobcats way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Big Country on May 08, 2017, 12:10:56 pm
A BIG CONGRATS to the Bobcats way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is this Clinton's first loss to a 3A opponent?

Did their #2 pitcher start this game or were they saving him for the finals?

Head Lion

Manila 5-2 over Riverside after 3

Big Country

Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 08, 2017, 12:22:59 pm
Is this Clinton's first loss to a 3A opponent?

Did their #2 pitcher start this game or were they saving him for the finals?

IDK..... I got info from text mssg from people at the game

The Green Arrow

BK loses 3-2. HG scores 3 in bottom of 6th setting the 3 and 4 seeds for that region. Will match up with Corning or riverside/Manila

Head Lion

Manila 5 Riverside 4 after 6

Head Lion

NEA Razorback olfan

Head Lion

biglion1985

Head Lion

Riverside 12-1 over Clinton in 5 innings

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Head Lion on May 08, 2017, 05:14:45 pm
Riverside 12-1 over Clinton in 5 innings
What's up with Clinton? Were they down in the dumps over the loss to Corning? Or have they decided they like the opposition better for the 4th place team?

Eagle1323

That will pit HA vs Clinton
MF vs Riverside

RedWolf275

Riverside pounded Clinton and the Rebels #3 guy shut them down

Head Lion

Corning 3-2 over Manila after 4.

biglion1985

Head Lion

Corning 5-4 over the Lions. Congrats Bobcats

ChokeNPoke

How many total home runs were hit at Manilas park during this regional???

Head Lion

I want to say 10-11, before anyone jumps on it about it being small. My younger brother made 36 starts in his hi school career in that park and never gave up a homer & the fences have been moved back since then. Saturday was a weird day, with a dead west wind blowing out to left at 20 mph, I have never seen the wind in my 50 years blow that hard from that direction. It probably aided 2-3.

Rebelfan77

the fence at the corners is 295 and that's not small???? My 9 year old plays on fields the same size.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Rebelfan77 on May 09, 2017, 03:08:08 pm
the fence at the corners is 295 and that's not small???? My 9 year old plays on fields the same size.

295 feet is very large for 9 year old baseball lol. Baum is only 320 down the line so it's not that outrageously short. What is CF that's a better question.

Head Lion

Quote from: Rebelfan77 on May 09, 2017, 03:08:08 pm
It does have lights tho & the fences don't move. They are same for both teams. Like I said my brother pitched on it 4 years & never gave up a homer. It was 285 at that time. 😁

Rebelfan77

Quote from: Head Lion on May 09, 2017, 03:36:36 pm
It does have lights tho & the fences don't move. They are same for both teams. Like I said my brother pitched on it 4 years & never gave up a homer. It was 285 at that time. 😁

Not having light is better than not having your own field..or at least that's my opinion.  ;D ;D ;D

Head Lion

Zone it is 350 in center with a 20 foot wall. Rebel, you said your son is 9? So we can expect the Rebels to be good in baseball again in another 6 to 7 years?

Rebelfan77

doesnt go there. sorry HL.

BoxNOne

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 09, 2017, 03:32:25 pm
295 feet is very large for 9 year old baseball lol. Baum is only 320 down the line so it's not that outrageously short. What is CF that's a better question.

It's a small field for high school. 295 down the lines is short but 310 in the alleys is very short. However, it is the same for both teams.

neaguru

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 10, 2017, 06:57:12 am
It's a small field for high school. 295 down the lines is short but 310 in the alleys is very short. However, it is the same for both teams.
The field riverside plays on first round of state is 305 down the line and 330 dead center.

RedWolf275

Quote from: neaguru on May 10, 2017, 11:23:40 pm
The field riverside plays on first round of state is 305 down the line and 330 dead center.

Home run derby again!

The Green Arrow

Yes that smaller field up at Harrison is awful. Wind is always blowing out too. Once watched a first round state tournament game on it and each team and 4 HRs a piece. Should not happen in a state game when teams are hitting 4 HRs as a team throughout the whole season. Ridiculous.

2fe

Quote from: The Green Arrow on May 11, 2017, 09:13:42 am
Yes that smaller field up at Harrison is awful. Wind is always blowing out too. Once watched a first round state tournament game on it and each team and 4 HRs a piece. Should not happen in a state game when teams are hitting 4 HRs as a team throughout the whole season. Ridiculous.

Baptist Prep and Piggott set a state record in 2011 on that field.  12 HR's, 6 for each team.  Something like 35 or 36 runs in that game.  It's a joke to use that field in the state tourney.

Head Lion

I will say this, our hospitality room last week, embarrasses the 1 at the state tournament. 👍🏼

Rebelfan77

Since when did they let the bus drivers in the hospitality room?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Rebelfan77 on May 12, 2017, 10:08:48 pm
Since when did they let the bus drivers in the hospitality room?

😳😳😳

Head Lion

Shoot, I don't have my CDL. I just sign the checks for everything.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas