• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glen rose open

Started by old.dole, April 24, 2017, 02:18:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

old.dole

What's the situation like over that way?

FisherOfMen11

Well with williams having the first 20 win season in school history i think, I think its probably not a very sought after job. Football rules the school there and they go through basketball coaches every 2-3 years so it must be a difficult place for coaches to stay or a place where coaches try to leave to get to an actual basketball school. Good place for someone to start a career though. I would imagine most of the same people who applied for Magnet Cove will apply for this one since its right down the road.

FisherOfMen11

Have yet to hear any chatter on who has applied or when they are even looking to hire. I would assume soon as the new coach needs to be meeting with players, getting a feel for personal, scheduling summer camps, etc. the next scheduled board meeting which is the 15th on their website but you would imagine they would try and do something before then

southarkdaddy

They would have opened the check book to keep Williamson if they cared a lick about basketball

Greyhound24

Where did Williamson go?

southarkdaddy

FisherOfMen11

Quote from: southarkdaddy on April 25, 2017, 10:23:09 am
They would have opened the check book to keep Williamson if they cared a lick about basketball

So he left because of pay and went to a school that pays slightly less? I know the contract is longer a 230 day at MC instead of a 205 at glen rose but it cant be more than a 2k difference after stipends are added in. Can  not see someone leaving a school for that reason alone.

OB11

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 25, 2017, 11:01:58 am
So he left because of pay and went to a school that pays slightly less? I know the contract is longer a 230 day at MC instead of a 205 at glen rose but it cant be more than a 2k difference after stipends are added in. Can  not see someone leaving a school for that reason alone.

A 25 day difference in contract days should easily cover the difference in pay. 25 extra days is a lot.

southarkdaddy

I don't know if thats why he left or not.  Someone in another thread said that him teaching pe which he is certified in instead of science is why.  But I bet the extra days have a lot to do with it. This is how it works.  Say he's coached for 10 years and his base salary is $42,000 (Making all of these numbers up).  A base salary is 190 days so he makes 42000/190 is the daily rate.  So that salary at 205 days is $45315, at 225 is $50842.  So basically a 5% increase in salary.  Thats a big deal at this level. 

FisherOfMen11

True did not know he had been coaching for 10 years

southarkdaddy

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 25, 2017, 11:14:00 am
True did not know he had been coaching for 10 years

That was a number i made up.  I have no clue how long he's been coaching

Jimbo Morphis

They should let that sr30 guy coach. Glen Rose would be the next Duke. We could call them the Dookies.

Dr. Defense

April 25, 2017, 05:33:25 pm #12 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:36:01 pm by Dr. Defense
Quote from: Oldman on April 25, 2017, 03:52:53 pm
They should let that sr30 guy coach. Glen Rose would be the next Duke. We could call them the Dookies.

Dookie Trouser......kind of like doogie houser just the coaching version

Kraig Crist

Havent ya'll gave him enough crap?

FisherOfMen11

Any updates or speculations on this one?

PapaHog

Kraig Crist for the win! Haha!

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 28, 2017, 12:15:38 pm
Any updates or speculations on this one?

I heard they are looking for a man of high moral fiber.  Someone who won't dump the program and leave it it worse shape than it's in.

FisherOfMen11

Sounds like they need to look for a local guy who wants to stay and actually build a program that has a reputation of being that kind of hard working, team player, class acting guy. Seems like a lot of coaches now view these small schools as stepping stones and when they leave the programs are in shambles. I have no idea if this is the case at Glen Rose but I have seen it happen at several 2-3a schools

MagicMike

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 28, 2017, 12:26:54 pm
I heard they are looking for a man of high moral fiber.  Someone who won't dump the program and leave it it worse shape than it's in.

That's what they just had and they let him walk

FisherOfMen11

Quote from: MagicMike on April 28, 2017, 12:50:53 pm

There must have been something they did not like about him to let him leave in that fashion or something they did not agree on and they decided to part ways. Either way hopefully he will be happy at MC and GR will find a coach they like and one that enjoys GR.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: MagicMike on April 28, 2017, 12:50:53 pm
It's a crappy world.

MagicMike

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 28, 2017, 01:05:29 pm
There must have been something they did not like about him to let him leave in that fashion or something they did not agree on and they decided to part ways. Either way hopefully he will be happy at MC and GR will find a coach they like and one that enjoys GR.

Neither. Saving 25 days matters more than a successful basketball program at GR

FisherOfMen11

So he wanted to be paid more and they did not want to pay more so they let him leave. IDK anything about his contract but was his number of days and all the other coaches the same? If so there is no way to raise his without having to for all coaches and they may not could afford that. But like I said idk what his days verses everyone elses were.

FisherOfMen11

April 28, 2017, 03:03:07 pm #23 Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:06:42 pm by FisherOfMen11
Okay so he had a 220 day contract and the only people there with longer days were administration at 240 and Kehner at 240 since he is the AD. So I do not see how they could have increased his days at all, and I am not sure why they would anyway. Not saying he is not a good coach idk ive never seen him coach but I do not see where Glen Rose just "let" someone go when there isnt anything they could have done.

Bulldog555

Seems like they have trouble keeping basketball coaches at Glen Rose. Anyone have any idea what they need to do to make the job more attractive?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Bulldog555 on April 28, 2017, 04:07:55 pm
Seems like they have trouble keeping basketball coaches at Glen Rose. Anyone have any idea what they need to do to make the job more attractive?
Keep the fans from spitting tobacco juice on the floor.

FisherOfMen11

May 01, 2017, 12:33:41 pm #26 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:41:35 pm by FisherOfMen11
Quote from: Bulldog555 on April 28, 2017, 04:07:55 pm

I think a lot of coaches hate battling for players when it comes to football. Also not sure but the last coach was basketball only and left to do basketball and baseball so maybe the only stipend available is basketball and there is no other coaching options open there at this time to help salary increase but we are talking a grand or two nothing major. The pay for a 3A school is a little on the low side paying very close to a 2A down the road and another 3A school the other direction starts their teachers out about 5k higher on average and stipends are greater too but GR does not really have a large business to make a lot of money off of like surrounding schools that I can think of. Maybe GR will get lucky and find a good coach who wants to build a program and work with the others at the school. The pay is what it is and coaches who apply should know that going in. That being said there are really good coaches who could go to schools larger for a big pay increase but they enjoy a smaller school and the community. If you get a coach in who loves the community and the atmosphere and they immerse themselves in it that will be how they keep a coach instead of pay increases. I just do not think they have the money to offer that.

old.dole

Anybody heard anything yet?

FisherOfMen11

Heard apparently interviews are Tuesday but nobody knows who is suppose to interview.

old.dole

Seems to be the story on a lot of these jobs

smallybells

I went to Glen Rose once for a basketball game a couple of years ago. There was a large bearded man with the sleeves cut out of his Beaver shirt screaming the whole time. It was quite entertaining watching the administration trying to flush him out of the gym. Luckily for him they have a nice gym and he was very crafty at slipping off and reappearing.

FisherOfMen11

I wonder if they already had their guy which is why there has not been much chatter. Anyone know what mark hamby is doing? Maybe MC and GR decided to switch guys  ???

southarkdaddy

That would be an interesting situation

FisherOfMen11

Total speculation but would be interesting

basketballcoach15

This job has been posted for some time.

FisherOfMen11

So interviews are apparently over any idea when they plan to make their hire? Board meeting is not until the 15th but I imagine they will want to secure their coach before then. Any word of who has interviewed and/or any front runners.

FisherOfMen11

any news on this one yet? Interviews mid last week is what I heard. surely someone has heard of a front runner or at least who has applied. Someone said 30 something applicants but that cant be right  :o

Bulldog555

Word is at Glen Rose all athletes go through offseason directed by FB coaches every day. If a kid plays football and basketball the basketball coach only gets them after football season and until the last basketball game. If he wants to have his kids in the offseason it must be after school, after the FB coaches finish with them. Not a level playing field with other schools. Hard to keep a coach or to build a competitive program.

GBattack

That's the same way we do off-season. I think we are pretty competitive.

Bulldog555

Even so, I still think monopolizing off season time inhibits growth of the basketball program. Skill development in basketball is critical to realizing fullest potential of the program. How "competitive" is your program? Could it be better? Normally 3A schools and below must rely more on players who can develop their skills over the course of years in the school program and less on AAU players. Of course that varies from school to school and with how athletic the kids are.

FisherOfMen11

yep until Glen rose stance on being a multiple sport school instead of focusing on just one sport and everything and everyone revolves around it the basketball coaching caracel will continue. 2-3 years and someone new will be at this position.

smallybells

A breif summary of an USA Today article from a few weeks ago that seem to suggest over emphasis of one sport is not necessarily the best way to go:

Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer has repeatedly said he recruits only multisport athletes.

Advantages of playing multiple sports:

Experience long-term success. While it might sound counterintuitive, multisport athletes tend to experience longer term success over their one-sport peers. More consistent performers with fewer injuries, multisport athletes also have a much higher chance of being active adults.

Limit overuse injuries. Overuse injuries occur when an athlete repeats the same motion over and over again. Playing multiple sports gives athletes time to heal and develop different muscle groups, tendons and ligaments. With the rise in overuse injuries in youth sports, this is an important point to remember.

Less pressure, less burnout. Burnout is a real problem for athletes who specialize too early. After all the practices, skills develop and games growing up, they get sick of their sport by the time college comes around. Multisport athletes haven't had that intense emphasis on one sport and more likely to retain their love of the game.

Accumulate cross-sport skills. Multisport athletes gain different kinds of skills that they can apply from one sport to the next. This enhances hand-eye coordination, balance, endurance, explosion, communication and athletic agility. Who wouldn't want the speed of a sprinter with the hand-eye coordination of a baseball player on their team?

Multisport athletes participate in a range of sports and activities as they are growing up. They have the opportunity to try different things, instead of committing to one sport and practicing it throughout the year. According to the NCAA survey of college athletes, the sports with the highest percent of multisports athletes were football, lacrosse and track.

71% of DI men's football players were multisport athletes.

old.dole

I heard a hire was made. Anyone have the name?

FisherOfMen11

heard its a junior high coach from the area but not sure from what school  ???

old.dole

We heard the same then. Class guy and good young coach I think he will do well. Solid hire.

AirItOut21

Well Malvern posted that they are looking for a junior high boys coach...

neds

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas