• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumors of Class Changes?

Started by Brian G, April 03, 2017, 07:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalant

Quote from: B.G. on April 03, 2017, 07:49:07 pm
My opinions are pretty much the same as I have had for years.

1) I think flexibility in conference size would be a great thing.  Anywhere from 6-10 would solve many issues.

2) I would support dropping a classification.  Thing is, the success is in the details.  If the top conference is anything less than 24 teams I don't know why you'd bother with it.

Totally on board with number 2. Maybe not for the reasons that you are though. The big argument has always been enrollment difference from top to bottom is so great but I think the difference in enrollment is way more significant once you go down in classifications. For instance I think an enrollment of 600 to 300 is much harder to make up than 1700 to 900. I might be wrong and would enjoy hearing thoughts on that. I also don't see how all the other classifications can be asked to swell and the biggest one not have to.

Lastly, travel for bigger schools won't change much unless that classification grows which I think is the most obvious reason for number 2.

tmycjy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on April 08, 2017, 11:09:42 am

Aren't there states that use set enrollment numbers to define classes instead of a set # of schools to define a class...

Yes they do but they also  use set number of school also so u can get even number of teams

Rulesman

Quote from: tmycjy on April 13, 2017, 02:49:29 pm
Yes they do but they also  use set number of school also so u can get even number of teams
Not always. A few years ago there was at least one 3-team conference in West Tennessee.

tmycjy

Quote from: Rulesman on April 13, 2017, 04:01:25 pm
Not always. A few years ago there was at least one 3-team conference in West Tennessee.

Yes but that Tennessee we are arkansas what best for them may not be best for arkansas

woopork

Quote from: fromthehills on April 07, 2017, 11:11:08 am

Based on this, there are lots of teams that will have further travel for conference
There may be a few schools that travel further but as a whole there would be significantly less travel than we saw this year.

ricepig

16-32 is passing with great majority in all the Activity District votes this week, look for that to be the next classification breakdown in the next cycle.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 08:52:53 pm
16-32 is passing with great majority in all the Activity District votes this week, look for that to be the next classification breakdown in the next cycle.

5A being messed with...again...lovely...

If AAA wants seven classifications, then how about they actually do something useful and say the seven classifications are all separate.

I guess that would be asking too much of those bozos.

(And of course football is exempt.)

ricepig

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 27, 2017, 09:43:50 pm
5A being messed with...again...lovely...

If AAA wants seven classifications, then how about they actually do something useful and say the seven classifications are all separate.

I guess that would be asking too much of those bozos.

(And of course football is exempt.)

The proposals come from the schools for the most part. Passing 14-1 in Activity Districts leads one to believe it has broad support.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 08:52:53 pm

Can you explain the breakdown of what is passing in the district meetings?

ricepig

Quote from: fann07 on April 28, 2017, 07:42:05 am
Can you explain the breakdown of what is passing in the district meetings?

It's as B.G. said in the OP, outside of football, the top 16 in a conference, then the next 32 in a conference, etc...

sevenof400

What would be best is a recap of what has passed in each of the activity district business meetings. 

Don't suppose AAA could be bothered to document that though....

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 10:24:55 am
What would be best is a recap of what has passed in each of the activity district business meetings. 

Don't suppose AAA could be bothered to document that though....

No, they did bother to the agenda and dates on their website, lol. Of course, new business/proposals, doesn't really fill in the blanks. I was just talking with an official about the mixed conferences and everyone's unhappiness with them and was told this 16-32 proposal was passing in the various districts. There have been some 5A schools not happy with it, but it seems to pass easily.

sevenof400

The 5A schools are definitely NOT happy about this.  But no matter what is done, someone's ox is going to be gored.

Maybe the 5A will secede... 

OB11

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 10:58:51 am
The 5A schools are definitely NOT happy about this.  But no matter what is done, someone's ox is going to be gored.

There's an idea. Lol

So under this format, some schools would be 5A in football and then 6A in everything else?

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 10:58:51 am

Well, I was only told of three who were fighting it, Vilonia, Greenbrier, and Harrison. Harrison was the only "no" in their district. There may be others, but that's what I was told.

BigLion10

Some schools just need to stop complaining and deal with it like the rest of us

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 11:00:10 am
There's an idea. Lol

So under this format, some schools would be 5A in football and then 6A in everything else?

That's my understanding of it. It actually improves several sports, and is much more travel friendly than just taking the top 32.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 11:30:52 am
That's my understanding of it. It actually improves several sports, and is much more travel friendly than just taking the top 32.

For 6A, sure. Not so much for the top 16 5A schools.

sevenof400

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 11:00:10 am
There's an idea. Lol

I've heard that, and other versions as well.  That's one reason (among many) I wish AAA would produce a list of issues passed at the various district business meetings because there may be differences in the versions passed within the respective districts.

I've heard a good number of people say the blended approach will continue under one proposed version, but another version doesn't have it. 

Bring on the light to this process AAA.

ricepig

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 28, 2017, 11:31:52 am
For 6A, sure. Not so much for the top 16 5A schools.

You don't think PV and Maumelle would have made a great Final 4 along with Jonesboro and El Dorado in basketball? Throw in Greenbrier, White Hall, and Watson Chapel in baseball, that makes for a much better baseball tournament, don't you agree? I think in all the sports outside of football it's a better deal. I'd have no problem if the 6A and 7A played in every sport but football, but it's spread out too much.

sevenof400

Until AAA moves away from their fixation of plugging a predetermined number of schools into a classification, this problem is only going to get worse.  They (AAA) continue to put the cart before the horse when they enter a classification cycle in this manner. 

The approach has to change to look at the numbers first, then determine the best number of teams within a classification. 

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 12:23:20 pm
Until AAA moves away from their fixation of plugging a predetermined number of schools into a classification, this problem is only going to get worse.  They (AAA) continue to put the cart before the horse when they enter a classification cycle in this manner. 

The approach has to change to look at the numbers first, then determine the best number of teams within a classification.

When you speak of the AAA, you are meaning the member schools, correct?

OB11

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 12:23:20 pm

To me, that would be the best approach.

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 12:36:01 pm
To me, that would be the best approach.

So, more classifications?

OB11

Not more classifications necessarily. But if one classification has 100 teams in it if enrollment numbers were close enough then I have no problem with that. But automatically saying there have to be 16 or 32 teams in a classification before looking at enrollment is not a good approach IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 12:50:18 pm
Not more classifications necessarily. But if one classification has 100 teams in it if enrollment numbers were close enough then I have no problem with that. But automatically saying there have to be 16 or 32 teams in a classification before looking at enrollment is not a good approach IMO.
Well.....it wouldn't be right then, you'd have some classifications complaining about others championships because they didn't have as many teams in them......

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 03:36:04 pm
Well.....it wouldn't be right then, you'd have some classifications complaining about others championships because they didn't have as many teams in them......

6A?

VHSCoach2

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 04:29:12 pm
Or 7A, both only have 16 teams.

And that's how it should stay.

6A wanted away from 7A. They got that wish.  5A DID NOT want to join with 6A. Why were we not given the same courtesy?

sevenof400

Let's see the numbers when they are published as that will frame this discussion better than anything else..

ricepig

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 28, 2017, 04:40:56 pm
And that's how it should stay.

6A wanted away from 7A. They got that wish.  5A DID NOT want to join with 6A. Why were we not given the same courtesy?

Obviously some do, maybe you should check with your brethren.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 04:42:51 pm
Obviously some do, maybe you should check with your brethren.

I'm talking about the blended classification districts that started this season.

From what I've been told, the 5A was given two options for the next cycle: stay blended the way we are now, or split in half with the top 16 joining the 6A and the lower half not, which seems to be the way that "won."

There was no option to stay a separate entity away from 6A. If that option were offered, I guarantee you we'd be having a much different conversation.

ricepig

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 28, 2017, 04:47:36 pm
I'm talking about the blended classification districts that started this season.

From what I've been told, the 5A was given two options for the next cycle: stay blended the way we are now, or split in half with the top 16 joining the 6A and the lower half not, which seems to be the way that "won."

There was no option to stay a separate entity away from 6A. If that option were offered, I guarantee you we'd be having a much different conversation.

There's nothing keeping you from putting that proposal forward, correct?

SUGARTOWN

Brian G

We've been Tweeting out some of the noticeable changes.  I'll compile them all and post them here.  Feel free to share what you'd like.

Lions84

Arkansas Triple A makes no more sense than UIL Texas does when it comes to redoing the classes.

Trojanball24

This vote needs 2/3rds to pass this summer. I know our school district doesnt want it at Lincoln because it leaves us nonoe to play. It wont pass

ricepig

Quote from: Trojanball24 on May 11, 2017, 12:53:28 pm
This vote needs 2/3rds to pass this summer. I know our school district doesnt want it at Lincoln because it leaves us nonoe to play. It wont pass

It's passed by 14-1 and such in some Activity Districts, so I wouldn't bet the ranch on it not passing.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas