• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High School Baseball Teams that Chant

Started by springdalesmitty, March 23, 2017, 11:00:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

springdalesmitty

I have daughters and so I will admit that I haven't been to many High School baseball games since the early 90's.  I was at a game yesterday and I saw the most pathetic display of sportsmanship I have ever saw and it disgusted me...  While one team was pitching, the other dugout would yell and trash talk the pitcher as loud as they could. They even told the pitcher they hoped he fell running to first base on a play. The coaches allow this garbage these days and the AD's??? When I played our coach told us to shut our mouths and play ball so we did... The funniest part about the game was that the other team kept quite and won the game. Can other people please tell me how they feel about it? Am I just old fashioned or do others think this is complete garbage?   

baseball man

Very stupid to me too. Many coaches encourage it. But as a father of a high school pitcher, my son loves for them to do it.

twincats16

March 23, 2017, 01:00:16 pm #2 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:05:18 pm by twincats16
In my opinion, play the game with class like its meant to be played.  Encourage your team and cheer for your teammates.  My son was a pitcher for 3 years and is now playing college baseball and we've had conversations about what's appropriate and what is not.  He's a mentally tough kid and so he dealt with it a whole lot better than I did as a Dad.  I completely get when a pitcher is struggling that the other team has a reaction with every pitch, especially if the count goes in favor of the batter.  Trying to rattle to pitcher to draw a walk. But trash talking personally to the pitcher and making disparaging comments are not in the spirit of the game.  Do not agree with teams that chant, yell, etc the entire game or the entire time while their team is batting.   To me that is just bush league, I mean come on, we aren't in little league any more.  Leave the "rally rally rooster" sing song junk out of it.  :)  Just my opinion FWIW. 

NEA Razorback olfan

There is no chanting or crying in baseball.

By the late great Jimmy Dugan

twincats16

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 23, 2017, 02:27:24 pm
There is no chanting or crying in baseball.

By the late great Jimmy Dugan

This!   ;D

ricepig

I'm against the chanting, but it does seem to be a little more prevalent these days. When my oldest played, we had some teams that would chant, yell at some of our position players, but we more times than not, shut them up. I don't really remember our team say anything, most thought they were too laid back, anyway. Now, we would play some appropriate music from the press box when play stopped, but nothing too callous.

Blue Bayou

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 23, 2017, 11:00:51 am
I have daughters and so I will admit that I haven't been to many High School baseball games since the early 90's.  I was at a game yesterday and I saw the most pathetic display of sportsmanship I have ever saw and it disgusted me...  While one team was pitching, the other dugout would yell and trash talk the pitcher as loud as they could. They even told the pitcher they hoped he fell running to first base on a play. The coaches allow this garbage these days and the AD's??? When I played our coach told us to shut our mouths and play ball so we did... The funniest part about the game was that the other team kept quite and won the game. Can other people please tell me how they feel about it? Am I just old fashioned or do others think this is complete garbage?   

I'm surprised a coach would let his players disrespect the game like this. Not only do the players make themselves look bad, but they make the coach and school look even worse for allowing it to carry on. The baseball gods are always watching. It was amusing to see those boys throwing their equipment after the game. They lit the fire, but couldn't contain it!

RedWolf275

I agree with the posts above. No place for chanting in high school baseball jmo.

T-Bone

I am very much against chanting in baseball.  I have seen our team do a little and when it happened I sank in my chair.  Now cheering on a teammate is different and needed.  But NEVER should there be anyone chanting against another team.  It has nothing to do with ability.  It is respect to allow another team do their thing.  I also feel some of this comes from many that never played competitive ball outside of school other than league ball which we all know you never know what will happens until it happens.  Respect the other team.

Nomad1324

There's no place for disrespect.

Be behind your team. Leave the bush league stuff in the bush leagues.

Heard about a team this week yell at the pitcher as they entered their motion, and even yelled at a fielder who got close to the dugout on a fly ball. When you're in the dugout, you don't get to be the student section.

MonsterBaseball15

Everyone is this thread sound so old

Anyone saying how bush chanting is under 50?

Blue Bayou

Quote from: MonsterBaseball15 on March 24, 2017, 02:19:42 pm

I am and I'm guessing your a part of a team that likes to yell and chant at other teams? Like others have stated, cheer on your own team. Someday the ones yelling at other teams from their dugout will play the wrong team and get a little chin music or a fastball in the ribs.

Could you imagine if there was chanting/disrespectful noise coming from a MLB dugout?  I've seen brawls start for less. Its called respecting your opponent kid.

Nomad1324

30. Never chanted a day in my life. Hated it. Talk up your team, you can be vocal without being bush.

T-Bone

I never say bush league but understand what they mean.  I am 52 and I didn't believe in it when I was on the field or in my 20's.  Pushing your team in one thing but disrespecting another team is not baseball. 

Oldbadger

Oh, wow.  This reminds me of when I was 15 years old playing in the Babe Ruth league in Arkadelphia.  One of our players was a motor mouth and ragged the opposing pitcher on every pitch, saying things like, "where'd you get your arm, from Sears and Roebuck?" or, "what you got there, a ragarm?" On and on like that.  During one session of mouthing, the pitcher, who was in his windup, placed a fastball inches from the mouthy teammate's head and off the dugout entrance.  Of course he was thrown from the game, but the noise shut down. lol.

NEA Razorback olfan

big E

Usually actions of the team reflect the leadership of the coach.

BoxNOne

Big E has hit the nail on the head. The coach is ultimately responsible for the actions of his team.

macadoshis

I don't like it.  When we travel balled, chanting stopped around age 11.  Thsts more of a softball thing and I don't care to hear it at the baseball game.  Just my opinion.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: macadoshis on March 27, 2017, 10:16:42 am
I don't like it.  When we travel balled, chanting stopped around age 11.  Thsts more of a softball thing and I don't care to hear it at the baseball game.  Just my opinion.
2nd

OB11

I agree with some of the other posters. There is a big difference in cheering for your team and cheering against the other team. Nothing wrong with picking up your teammates and encouraging them, but when you start talking to and about the opposing team is where the problem is with me.

jazdill

I hate it!!! I also think the baserunner taunting the pitcher by clapping and acting a fool while getting a lead is very childish.

baller4

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 23, 2017, 11:00:51 am
Sounds like a game I was at last week. might have been the same one. With the way the parents were behaving I was not surprised to see the kids behave this way. When you have parents yelling cruel and hateful things at the umps because the game is not going their way. Then you had players throwing their stuff in the dug out when they lost. And the coaches did nothing about any of it. Props to the other team( players,coaches and parents) for not stooping to that level and played the game the right way.

Blue Bayou

Quote from: baller4 on March 27, 2017, 11:44:01 am
Sounds like a game I was at last week. might have been the same one. With the way the parents were behaving I was not surprised to see the kids behave this way. When you have parents yelling cruel and hateful things at the umps because the game is not going their way. Then you had players throwing their stuff in the dug out when they lost. And the coaches did nothing about any of it. Props to the other team( players,coaches and parents) for not stooping to that level and played the game the right way.

Sure sounds like you were at the same game to me! Part of me wants to call out the team/coach, but I'm sure others will see the same conduct and think WTH! The coach either has no control over his team or doesn't care. He wont be coaching long if he continues to let his players act that way.

mijally

When I played it was the players in the field who chanted. "Hey batter, hey batter, batter, batter, batter , batter...SWING!!!!!  If the team in the dugout made it personal to the pitcher then he would drill the batters with the baseball and start a brawl.

airitout

hey batter, hey batter, batter, swing batter?

mastermind10

Obnoxious players and fans?  That's not new to high school baseball or even tee ball.  Agreed it is tiresome for those who just want to watch a game.

way2go

At the risk of being politically incorrect, chanting in baseball seems a little girly to me.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Heckling from the dugout has been around as long as baseball. Coaches and umps just need to keep it within the proper bounds.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: way2go on April 06, 2017, 10:29:41 am
At the risk of being politically incorrect, chanting in baseball seems a little girly to me.

PC is dying, thank God!!
It is girly to me also, rooting on your team should be priority
Lets put PC where it belongs in the toilet

PC fan

April 08, 2017, 06:54:40 pm #31 Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:04:58 pm by PC fan
what team are you talking about NEA Razorback olfan???? wow....don't think we have ever played Brookland before in anything...

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: PC fan on April 08, 2017, 06:54:40 pm
what team are you talking about NEA Razorback olfan???? wow....don't think we have ever played Brookland before in anything...

No team , just political correctness in general.

jr17

Brian G

BrianfromCarlisle

We had a guy that talked more trash to the opposing team than anyone.  Pitchers, hitters, he didn't care. 
He was a pitcher himself. Guess being 6'8" and throwing pure smoke, he could say whatever. Lol
The classic "hey pitcher, what's that string hanging from your shirt?  Oh, it's your arm!" 
This was before everyone became a bunch of crybabies though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas