• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Conference

Started by DreamBig, March 08, 2017, 08:19:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamBig

How is the new conferences going?

Nomad1324

Quote from: DreamBig on March 08, 2017, 08:19:43 am
How is the new conferences going?

I heard a 5A coach talking about how they're doing their conference play and it sounded like the worst thing imaginable. Not sure that it is as bad everywhere, but if that's what people are coming up with just so they can get in a room and argue, then it's almost a universally bad decision.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 08, 2017, 08:35:33 am
I heard a 5A coach talking about how they're doing their conference play and it sounded like the worst thing imaginable. Not sure that it is as bad everywhere, but if that's what people are coming up with just so they can get in a room and argue, then it's almost a universally bad decision.

Managing a pitching staff is the most difficult part to navigating the regular season, considering each team (7A not included) has essentially 2 conferences - their blended conference, and their 'regular' conference.  Case in point, Maumelle has a double header against LRCA today, and then a game against Morrilton tomorrow.  Morrilton has a double header against Vilonia today and one against Maumelle tomorrow.  How does each team handle their pitching staff?  Should any emphasis be placed on the blended conference games?  It's a terrible way to do things, and it is not a 'solution' for anything.

KOJACK

It's a cluster you know what...I give 1 at most 2 years and then it'll be gone.

brotherdew

Well we know it will last two years because that is how long the cycles last.
I feel baseball will be the most impacted due to the pitching issue. Small schools are even more susceptible because of a smaller group of athletes who can pitch.
I am also concerned with the length of the season being shortened over the last few years. If a kid enjoys baseball he may be better off finding a travel team and sticking with them. He would get more games and have a better opportunity to develop as a player.

Nomad1324

Not only will it impact the pitching because of the sheer number of games needed to be played now, but with the new pitching regulations, small schools may end up only scheduling their "conference" games to save pitching.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas