• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If You Called The Shots...

Started by Mr. Trill, February 20, 2017, 10:00:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Trill

If you called the shots, since everyone seems to have their opinion, how would you shape the tournaments (District, Regionals and State) in 2A?  Would u put it back the old way or make it with a twist? 🤔 All responses accepted

bigworm

Ive been fairly vocal about this topic. Everyone has an opinion so theres nothing saying mine is right. But i thought the way its been was just perfect. Everything made so much sense. This year nothing makes sense.

JCWLADYREBELDAD

I didn't mind the mixed conferences but when it comes tournament time there needs to be 8 districts, 4 regions, and a 16 team state tournament. There should be no byes in the regional or state tournaments. No team should get an advantage of getting a bye.

bigworm

Quote from: JCWLADYREBELDAD on February 21, 2017, 08:02:02 pm
I didn't mind the mixed conferences but when it comes tournament time there needs to be 8 districts, 4 regions, and a 16 team state tournament. There should be no byes in the regional or state tournaments. No team should get an advantage of getting a bye.

Amen

AT

February 21, 2017, 08:26:41 pm #4 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:34:40 am by Almatrackster
Quote from: JCWLADYREBELDAD on February 21, 2017, 08:02:02 pm

This is how I feel. I honestly think the blended conferences will be something we get used to. It gives you more local games, it does save on travel overall, and if teams adjust right in the future, they can play teams in their district that aren't in their conference in non conference action anyways.

But I don't understand why 2A and 3A went to 3 regions and 6 districts.

raven

Personally, I hate the new blended conferences.  I've never been a fan of voting for ranking, too many opinions get in the way.  The old way everyone played teams in their conference and the ranking for the tourney is pretty clear.  I can see the travel times for teams cut down especially for those on the outer edges of a conference but I don't like the new way of ranking teams. 

BoxNOne

The AAA really watered down the 2A classification and I can't figure out why. Looks like they would have added some of the biggest 1A schools. I'm with our friend Missco on this one. Cut the number of classes down to 4 or 5 then there will be more schools per class.

BLUEBLOOD

It should be mandatory that you play each team in your "real" conference at least once.  It should never come down to voting for seeding.  Just leaves the door open for doubt & hard feelings.

dentist15

February 22, 2017, 09:40:30 am #8 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:20:24 am by dentist15
Quote from: BoxNOne on February 22, 2017, 07:41:03 am
The AAA really watered down the 2A classification and I can't figure out why. Looks like they would have added some of the biggest 1A schools. I'm with our friend Missco on this one. Cut the number of classes down to 4 or 5 then there will be more schools per class.

Agreed. The only classification that I remember there being a glaring numbers discrepancy from smallest school to largest school was the old 5A (from about 1995-2006). In 2A, I remember you having to finish in the top 2 in Regionals in order to go to State, so going to State was more of an accomplishment then, than it is now. And I preferred the old way of doing post-season seeding as already mentioned earlier (determined solely by conference play record, where your conference and district teams were one and the same.)

jk

Glad to see the smaller 2A schools drop down to 1A, the girls shouldn't be punished just because the boys play football. I've always thought the big 1A schools should have to play 2A basketball. Bay and County Line are larger than 15 2A teams. They need to be playing 2A ball   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: jk on February 22, 2017, 10:14:21 am
Glad to see the smaller 2A schools drop down to 1A, the girls shouldn't be punished just because the boys play football. I've always thought the big 1A schools should have to play 2A basketball. Bay and County Line are larger than 15 2A teams. They need to be playing 2A ball   

Or just used the mixed conference's as the classifications.....

dentist15

February 23, 2017, 10:01:53 am #11 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:07:00 am by dentist15
Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 22, 2017, 07:30:14 pm

Well dang, it that isn't a perfectly sensible suggestion and viable solution to this situation....

Cheek

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 22, 2017, 07:30:14 pm

It would not be fair for the 2A Schools, because the 1A School are usually better. 

dentist15

Quote from: Cheek on February 23, 2017, 10:27:55 am
It would not be fair for the 2A Schools, because the 1A School are usually better.

That's a little bit of a stretch. Yes, the better 1A schools are usually better than the lower, middle, and solid 2A schools (though that is true when comparing any classification to the classification above it......I remember back in my day (mid-00's, haha), that the better 2A schools in our region were better than nearly all of the 3A schools in our region), by virtue of 1A schools having more games under their belt and no football to "interfere" with basketball. But if the 1A can compete with the bigger schools, then why not, and the 2A can just learn to get better. Don't think it's unfair, just that those 2A players will have to suck it up and get better if they don't want to get beat by smaller schools, which will be better for the quality of the game overall.

Cheek

Quote from: dentist15 on February 23, 2017, 10:49:41 am
That's a little bit of a stretch. Yes, the better 1A schools are usually better than the lower, middle, and solid 2A schools (though that is true when comparing any classification to the classification above it......I remember back in my day (mid-00's, haha), that the better 2A schools in our region were better than nearly all of the 3A schools in our region), by virtue of 1A schools having more games under their belt and no football to "interfere" with basketball. But if the 1A can compete with the bigger schools, then why not, and the 2A can just learn to get better. Don't think it's unfair, just that those 2A players will have to suck it up and get better if they don't want to get beat by smaller schools, which will be better for the quality of the game overall.

I agree, but over the past few years, Bay Boys and Nemo Vista Girls would have dominated.   

dentist15

Quote from: Cheek on February 23, 2017, 10:51:54 am
I agree, but over the past few years, Bay Boys and Nemo Vista Girls would have dominated.

Well, I definitely can't argue with that. Those programs have been pretty dang good lately. I would say overall, it'd be better competition. I know I would've loved to have regularly played the better 1A teams in our region (Scranton, Kingston, Jasper....at least as of the mid-00's, in Boys), as it would've made for better competition throughout conference play.

birddawg1986

Only having 12 in AA state & 20 in A is pretty jankey...AAA knows that Bay, Co Line, Nemo Vista, Ouachita should have ALL played in 2A. Especially Bay who has 125 students and that more than 13 of the bottom 2A schools...

RAD

The AAA needs to quit trying to fix things that have been working.  This year in the first round of state, the 3 seed from the WC region plays the 2 seed from the South region.  The 4 seed from the WC plays the 3 seed from the South.  Win the 3rd place game in the WC region, rewarded by playing higher seed in 1st round of state tournament.

General Lee

Gotta disagree with this. I sure don't believe Bay would have dominated the 2A like they have the 1A. Nor do I believe Nemo would've dominated either. I can't believe I'm the first one to disagree with this really.
But as for the original topic...you can't have 12 team state tourneys.
Old way

HorseFeathers

Quote from: General Lee on February 25, 2017, 11:48:26 pm
Gotta disagree with this. I sure don't believe Bay would have dominated the 2A like they have the 1A. Nor do I believe Nemo would've dominated either. I can't believe I'm the first one to disagree with this really.
But as for the original topic...you can't have 12 team state tourneys.
Old way

Nemo Vista vs Earle last year could have been interesting....

Ctucker

your nuts!

Cheek

Quote from: Ctucker on February 26, 2017, 01:02:21 am
your nuts!

Did y'all play Bay or Nemo.  We played Nemo last year an no one in 2A could beat them. 

Donnie Jamon

Epc playing every game past 9:00 sucked and getting home at 12:30-1:00 am and then going to school. Then coming back at 1:00 pm the next day. Jeez!   

RedWolf275

I agree, 2a is spread out too much with only 6 conferences.

Ctucker

Quote from: Cheek on February 26, 2017, 07:44:48 am
Did y'all play Bay or Nemo.  We played Nemo last year an no one in 2A could beat them. 
No I was mainly talking about boys I don't think Bay would have had a chance against Earle last year or England the year they won and Ceder would have spanked them. And them are recent years Bay wouldn't have dominated boys.

General Lee

Quote from: Cheek on February 26, 2017, 07:44:48 am

Did Nemo Vista play Earle last year? Or Marmaduke the year before?

Cheek

Quote from: General Lee on February 26, 2017, 05:24:33 pm
Did Nemo Vista play Earle last year? Or Marmaduke the year before?

No,  but we did and Nemo was better.

General Lee

i don't know who "we" is but that's a long ways from dominating the 2A for the last few years!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas