• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FIRST GAMES OF THE YEAR

Started by baseball man, February 15, 2017, 08:09:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baseball man

Who is your teams first opponent???????

FNLsupporter

Bald Knob plays Palestine Wheatley Feb 27th at BK

RabidWolf

Prescott @ Fouke Tuesday Feb 28. Huge game to open up for the curley wolves

baseball man

Parkers Chapel at Lafayette County

Head Lion

Redbug Loyal

NEA Razorback olfan

jlaw7390

Farmington at Russellville on 2/27

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: jlaw7390 on February 23, 2017, 10:28:50 am
Farmington at Russellville on 2/27

I think we play both of y'all the following day in a double-header.

jr17

TheSpecial

Brookland @ Nettleton Feb 28th

hsindian

February 24, 2017, 05:18:50 pm #11 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:37:39 pm by hsindian
Mccrory playing at Walnut Ridge today. Just a scrimmage though.

NEAscout100

macadoshis

Lamar has 3 games this week,  @ Mansfield,  @ Charleston, and Dardy at home. 

Head Lion

Manila Jr hi @ Harrisburg today.

RabidWolf

Genoa vs Horatio @ Nashville should be a great game. However, I was told Beasley got into a little trouble and can't play today. Anyone confirm?

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland 4
GCT 0
Final

Brandon Glenn hurls a 5 hit shutout

XFalkonz

Head Lion

Jr hi Manila 17-0 over Harrisburg.

littlec2964

FNLsupporter

Bald Knob defeated PW 6-0.
Nash and Fowler pitched for PW and BK used a combination of 5 pitchers.

jr17

Mayflower over Des Arc 2-0 behind a Perfect Game from Brady Wilcox

NEA Razorback olfan

Top 5
Walnut Ridge 1
Nettleton 4

NEA Razorback olfan

Walnut Ridge 1
Nettleton 4
Final

NEA Razorback olfan

February 28, 2017, 07:11:14 pm #27 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:03:20 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Top 3
Brookland 0
Nettleton 1

Game suspended for bad weather
Will finish game after 4:30 Walnut Ridge Thursday

Brookland's Trevor Jones 2inn 5ks , 3Walks, no hits
Nettleton scored on throwing error

NEAscout100

Sloan over Newport 15-5 all runs come in bottom 1 inning, Newport didn't score after that.

OB11

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on March 01, 2017, 09:41:39 am
Valley View 2
Jonesboro 0

Saw that in the paper, only 3 hits for Jonesboro, may be time to fire the hitting coach....

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 12:48:36 pm
Saw that in the paper, only 3 hits for Jonesboro, may be time to fire the hitting coach....

I think they struck out 10 times as a team.

2aball

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 12:48:36 pm

VV has some very good pitchers I've heard.

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on March 01, 2017, 01:42:36 pm
VV has some very good pitchers I've heard.

Well, Jonesboro supposedly has some too, lol. The VV closer was a freshman, saw him in 8th grade ball last spring.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 03:05:22 pm
Well, Jonesboro supposedly has some too, lol. The VV closer was a freshman, saw him in 8th grade ball last spring.

Believe me Ricepig, Jonesboro does have some good pitching.  I won't sit and talk about it.  I will let the season play out and show you and any other doubters.

Now for the VV game I think it was a blessing VV won.  It places the Jonesboro team's mentality in a better perspective for the games that count.  Yes, I hate to lose but we can use this to our advantage.  We know from the start that we can't be cocky and know we can be beaten, defending champs or not.  This can make a stronger team now.  Three of the strongest bats are sophomores that have been playing together for years from LL type ball to travel ball to showcase ball.  When those three are allowed to hit on a more consistent basis I believe they will be a strong addition to the offense.  But for now they have to prove themselves worthy a little at a time due to being Sophomores.

I love this crap.  People get beaten in the first game by 2 runs and people overlook the good.  The season just started.  Our bats are slow for sure.  We have to create a better offense.  They say 3 hits but I only gave 2.  And VV had 4.  I am also happy for VV since they work hard and are a young team overall.

Well enough of my ramp.  Being beaten is not the issue.  People losing faith before the season starts is one.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 01, 2017, 03:45:20 pm
Believe me Ricepig, Jonesboro does have some good pitching.  I won't sit and talk about it.  I will let the season play out and show you and any other doubters.

Now for the VV game I think it was a blessing VV won.  It places the Jonesboro team's mentality in a better perspective for the games that count.  Yes, I hate to lose but we can use this to our advantage.  We know from the start that we can't be cocky and know we can be beaten, defending champs or not.  This can make a stronger team now.  Three of the strongest bats are sophomores that have been playing together for years from LL type ball to travel ball to showcase ball.  When those three are allowed to hit on a more consistent basis I believe they will be a strong addition to the offense.  But for now they have to prove themselves worthy a little at a time due to being Sophomores.

I love this crap.  People get beaten in the first game by 2 runs and people overlook the good.  The season just started.  Our bats are slow for sure.  We have to create a better offense.  They say 3 hits but I only gave 2.  And VV had 4.  I am also happy for VV since they work hard and are a young team overall.

Well enough of my ramp.  Being beaten is not the issue.  People losing faith before the season starts is one.

Lighten up there Francis, I know your son pitches. If you noticed my first post on the game, I was critical of the hitting, or lack thereof. I realize it's just the first game of the year, OB and I discuss most of the Canes ballgames, so be prepare to read some adulation and critiques.

I know about losing the first game, one of mine was no-hit by a 2A school pitcher, and we lost 3-2 or 4-3, and he was the losing pitcher. We also managed to be the #2 seed at state, so I know the season isn't over.

I thought a Jr lead JHS in hitting last year as a sophomore? I doubt you find a bigger supporter of Mark, Wade, or Drew than me, so don't take everything as life or death on a message board.

T-Bone

March 01, 2017, 04:41:58 pm #36 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:44:09 pm by T-Bone
Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 04:11:44 pm
Lighten up there Francis, I know your son pitches. If you noticed my first post on the game, I was critical of the hitting, or lack thereof. I realize it's just the first game of the year, OB and I discuss most of the Canes ballgames, so be prepare to read some adulation and critiques.

I know about losing the first game, one of mine was no-hit by a 2A school pitcher, and we lost 3-2 or 4-3, and he was the losing pitcher. We also managed to be the #2 seed at state, so I know the season isn't over.

I thought a Jr lead JHS in hitting last year as a sophomore? I doubt you find a bigger supporter of Mark, Wade, or Drew than me, so don't take everything as life or death on a message board.

You probably didn't know for sure my son pitches but I will say he has shown some potential and should help in pitching as season goes.  The starting pitcher last night has ability too as well as the second pitcher.  For whatever reason our starter last night didn't have a great game as the game went on but he can pitch well.  You could give VV a pat on the back for hitting but they only had 4 hits on entire game and that is not a lot.  When it comes to pitching I will let my son as well as the others prove themselves rather than talking about it.  So watch as season goes.  As for the 3 sophomore bats I have confidence that if given the chance all three will prove positive for the offense as they get a chance to prove themselves as the season goes on.  They all three have sticks.  And if your talking about the same sophomore last year those three have played ball with him as well for years.  Not to mention there are others as well but for those that got to hit, it was not much of a hitting day for either team.

Bottom line is the bats were not bats last night on either team but better for VV.  VV did not help our pitchers while I do feel JHS bats helped the VV pitchers and if you were there you saw it.  Not to take away from the VV pitchers because they did do a good job.  Just seemed JHS was to aggressive at pitches outside the zone.  While VV seemed to be far more patient at the plate.

Lets see what Friday brings!

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 01, 2017, 04:41:58 pm
You probably didn't know for sure my son pitches but I will say he has shown some potential and should help in pitching as season goes.  The starting pitcher last night has ability too as well as the second pitcher.  For whatever reason our starter last night didn't have a great game as the game went on but he can pitch well.  You could give VV a pat on the back for hitting but they only had 4 hits on entire game and that is not a lot.  When it comes to pitching I will let my son as well as the others prove themselves rather than talking about it.  So watch as season goes.  As for the 3 sophomore bats I have confidence that if given the chance all three will prove positive for the offense as they get a chance to prove themselves as the season goes on.  They all three have sticks.  And if your talking about the same sophomore last year those three have played ball with him as well for years.  Not to mention there are others as well but for those that got to hit, it was not much of a hitting day for either team.

Bottom line is the bats were not bats last night on either team but better for VV.  VV did not help our pitchers while I do feel JHS bats helped the VV pitchers and if you were there you saw it.  Not to take away from the VV pitchers because they did do a good job.  Just seemed JHS was to aggressive at pitches outside the zone.  While VV seemed to be far more patient at the plate.

Lets see what Friday brings!

If they can hit, they will be given the chance to, but early on, Dobson is going to go with Sr's and his older guys. Starting out the season with a conference game is a little bit different, so it will be a different approach this year. While these games won't mean as much, they'll still help seed for the conference tournament, which will effect your seeding for the state tournament, or ability to make it. In prior years, there would be 6-8 games before conference started to set your rotation, and mix in some guys to see who can hit.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 05:05:03 pm
If they can hit, they will be given the chance to, but early on, Dobson is going to go with Sr's and his older guys. Starting out the season with a conference game is a little bit different, so it will be a different approach this year. While these games won't mean as much, they'll still help seed for the conference tournament, which will effect your seeding for the state tournament, or ability to make it. In prior years, there would be 6-8 games before conference started to set your rotation, and mix in some guys to see who can hit.

Yes you are correct about seeding from my understanding of this mess of a new seeding method.  So I will agree the game last night was important in that sense.  I do not like what the power that be decided to do with the seeding.  I believe that a team should be rewarded for a wining season but that is not how they have it set up.  If I understand it correctly the way they have it set up now a good team that just has a bad game or two can not make it to state.  A team could lose every game all year and make it to state instead.  You should get something for overall record that gives more definition of your team.  Am I seeing that wrong?

I will not comment on the coaches decisions other than they make the decisions and I don't.  It is their job and not mine.  I will not always agree but I do respect them.  I will say I will never agree with playing anyone other than the best that fit the game your playing.  Saying freshman, sophomore, junior or senior is irrelevant to a players ability.  The best players should be on the field and it should not matter in any way what I or any other parents think about it. 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 01, 2017, 05:33:11 pm
Yes you are correct about seeding from my understanding of this mess of a new seeding method.  So I will agree the game last night was important in that sense.  I do not like what the power that be decided to do with the seeding.  I believe that a team should be rewarded for a wining season but that is not how they have it set up.  If I understand it correctly the way they have it set up now a good team that just has a bad game or two can not make it to state.  A team could lose every game all year and make it to state instead.  You should get something for overall record that gives more definition of your team.  Am I seeing that wrong?

I will not comment on the coaches decisions other than they make the decisions and I don't.  It is their job and not mine.  I will not always agree but I do respect them.  I will say I will never agree with playing anyone other than the best that fit the game your playing.  Saying freshman, sophomore, junior or senior is irrelevant to a players ability.  The best players should be on the field and it should not matter in any way what I or any other parents think about it.

Everyone will go to the conference tournament, so it won't keep a team from having the opportunity. Now, you may be seeded low and have to face a top seed and their #1 pitcher and should you lose, you'd be playing for a tournament berth with another losing team, potentially. It'll be the same set-up they used in volleyball and basketball this year.

As to playing time, it's earned, and they'll play who they think gives them the best chance. I've watched Jonesboro baseball closely since 2008 and they've played freshmen and sophomores every year, usually at least one starting or platooning(sp). And every year since then, there's been us Dad's that thought theirs need more time, lol.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 05:58:23 pm
Everyone will go to the conference tournament, so it won't keep a team from having the opportunity. Now, you may be seeded low and have to face a top seed and their #1 pitcher and should you lose, you'd be playing for a tournament berth with another losing team, potentially. It'll be the same set-up they used in volleyball and basketball this year.

As to playing time, it's earned, and they'll play who they think gives them the best chance. I've watched Jonesboro baseball closely since 2008 and they've played freshmen and sophomores every year, usually at least one starting or platooning(sp). And every year since then, there's been us Dad's that thought theirs need more time, lol.

If my son is not good enough I agree he doesn't play.  If your son is not good enough, I agree he should not play.  I just do not agree on tagging a player for his year in school.  Stop saying the year they are in school and start talking about how they can, if they can, help the team as a whole.  I am good with where my son is and know he has to earn his spot wherever that may be and when that may be.  No problems in any way with me concerning allowing the coaches to do their job.  It is their job and in no way mine.

2aball

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 03:05:22 pm

Oh I definitely believe Jonesboro does too. I was just pointing out that it isn't surprising for a team to struggle hitting early in the year, especially when facing a team with good pitching. I'm sure Jonesboro will be in the mix for another Championship.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 01, 2017, 06:19:36 pm
If my son is not good enough I agree he doesn't play.  If your son is not good enough, I agree he should not play.  I just do not agree on tagging a player for his year in school.  Stop saying the year they are in school and start talking about how they can, if they can, help the team as a whole.  I am good with where my son is and know he has to earn his spot wherever that may be and when that may be.  No problems in any way with me concerning allowing the coaches to do their job.  It is their job and in no way mine.

We don't/didn't make those decisions, that quit in Daddy ball. I didn't coach, but that didn't mean I always agreed with every decision, but coaches are going to give the first opportunity to those who've been in the program longer, because they've seen more of them. These days with field tarps and somewhat better weather, they get ample opportunity to watch them all in multiple scrimmages and know who should play. Good luck.

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on March 01, 2017, 06:32:01 pm
Oh I definitely believe Jonesboro does too. I was just pointing out that it isn't surprising for a team to struggle hitting early in the year, especially when facing a team with good pitching. I'm sure Jonesboro will be in the mix for another Championship.

I was being a little facetious, VV has a good program and can always be counted on being a tough game. As to Jonesboro, we seldom have the best arms in the state, but can usually be counted on to take, and if the defense is clean, a contender.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 06:46:07 pm
We don't/didn't make those decisions, that quit in Daddy ball. I didn't coach, but that didn't mean I always agreed with every decision, but coaches are going to give the first opportunity to those who've been in the program longer, because they've seen more of them. These days with field tarps and somewhat better weather, they get ample opportunity to watch them all in multiple scrimmages and know who should play. Good luck.

I understand and agree.  I also believe our coaches will have all in line by early to mid season when it counts most.

Neers34

Batesville at Valley View today

Neers34

Valley scores 2 in bottom of the 7th to beat Batesville 7-6

Redbug Loyal

Fordyce beat Bismark 18-9, Parkers Chapel by 13-3, and play Hermitage tonight

baseball man

Glad to see 4-Dice doing good. But non conference and new pitching rules my affect the games this year. Saw the PC game and 4-Dice has some hitters.

brotherdew

Caddo Hills hosts Acorn March 6
Mount Ida travels to Mountain Pine the same day

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas