• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Can We Do To Stop The Stupidity In The New Conference Alignments?

Started by NewRecruit, February 03, 2017, 02:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NewRecruit

I have a few questions and would like to know what others have to say on the matter.  1st of all, were we not told the new alignments would cut down on travel time? (HASN'T HAPPENED)  Second, wasn't these new alignments suppose to benefit the schools (players, and coaches)? (NOT HAPPENING)  Also, why in the world do the "Powers that be" think they know so much more, when it comes to the smaller schools, when they never even step into over 90% of these schools?  Have any of you had to go to a meeting to seed your conference yet?  (Good Luck With That)  This needs to be fixed and fixed before next year.  I am sorry but it is not fair for some 3A schools (and others) to have to travel 2 hours for a conference game when there are teams 15 minutes away they could play.  I think it is time for the "Powers that be" to get their priorities straight and actually do something to help our student athletes instead of trying to fix problems that are not there.  I would really like to know how others feel on this topic.

Radiotalker

I hear all of your points and I'm not crazy about the alignments either. However, we have seen less travel, we have seen a very competitive league with nice crowds. I've seen some very good basketball this year almost every night.

NewRecruit

Quote from: Radiotalker on February 03, 2017, 02:29:10 pm
I hear all of your points and I'm not crazy about the alignments either. However, we have seen less travel, we have seen a very competitive league with nice crowds. I've seen some very good basketball this year almost every night.
It hasn't been that way everywhere! There are some teams that are travelling more and teams that were rivalries are not even playing each other now.  I know it is not that way everywhere but it is in parts of the state.  My main problem is how can you explain to me how you can seed teams "FAIRLY" for their district tournament when some of them never even play each other.  I know 1 district that plays everyone except for 2 teams and they don't get to play any of their district teams.  It is not fair and needs to be fixed!!

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: NewRecruit on February 03, 2017, 02:20:32 pm
I have a few questions and would like to know what others have to say on the matter.  1st of all, were we not told the new alignments would cut down on travel time? (HASN'T HAPPENED)  Second, wasn't these new alignments suppose to benefit the schools (players, and coaches)? (NOT HAPPENING)  Also, why in the world do the "Powers that be" think they know so much more, when it comes to the smaller schools, when they never even step into over 90% of these schools?  Have any of you had to go to a meeting to seed your conference yet?  (Good Luck With That)  This needs to be fixed and fixed before next year.  I am sorry but it is not fair for some 3A schools (and others) to have to travel 2 hours for a conference game when there are teams 15 minutes away they could play.  I think it is time for the "Powers that be" to get their priorities straight and actually do something to help our student athletes instead of trying to fix problems that are not there.  I would really like to know how others feel on this topic.

I agree with allot of what you said, also to add to this, the new alignment hurts the bigger school  I can not see how having smaller teams in your conference in any way help you prepare for post season.

NewRecruit

Quote from: Hitman Warrior23 on February 03, 2017, 02:49:11 pm
I agree with allot of what you said, also to add to this, the new alignment hurts the bigger school  I can not see how having smaller teams in your conference in any way help you prepare for post season.
Agreed!

zebra73

Not seeing teams from the other side in your district until the district tournament. Have to schedule around your schedule to scout your district teams. If you would play them in the regular season you would not have to worry about scouting. JMO

NewRecruit

Quote from: zebra73 on February 03, 2017, 03:02:30 pm
Not seeing teams from the other side in your district until the district tournament. Have to schedule around your schedule to scout your district teams. If you would play them in the regular season you would not have to worry about scouting. JMO
Agreed!

RTF

Quote from: zebra73 on February 03, 2017, 03:02:30 pm
This is the biggest problem I have with it!

zebra73

The travel expenses would add up! It does save on them. Don't understand the transition of the 3A/4A blend or any other blend in that matter. Did travel in the past. Don't know who brought the idea up that it would make the games any better?

teachers pet

Everyone in 4 has played each other except Jessieville who has only played Perryville back in early November

1-Adam-12

I am hearing, not sure if it will come to pass, that this blended conference thing will be two years and out the door.

Missco

It cut down on travel overall statewide. It also made for more competitive  conferences. Zebra, the other four teams in your district to you havent played, cant walk and chew gum very well.

zebra73

We will see when district tournament gets here. The competition is good in some classes,but has an exception in 5A/6A.

bobcats

Quote from: teachers pet on February 03, 2017, 03:29:40 pm
Everyone in 4 has played each other except Jessieville who has only played Perryville back in early November

So have they seeded district tournament yet?  Since Jville lost to Perryville and didn't play Lamar or Paris does that mean they will be the 4 seed in that district?

teachers pet

HorseFeathers

ZoneBuster

Teams will start scheduling everyone if it's a big issue. It'll work out, the cream will rise.

zebra73

Either conference does not have anything to gain. Waste of time. Schools will have to come up with the travel expenses to stay in their district. Lose-Lose situation

officialvsfan

All this blended conference does is cheapen the regular season.  None of the games matter.  They voted on district tournament seedings up here with 3 conference games left on the schedule.  It may have helped some of the larger schools with travel but it hurt the 1A schools.  We have several traveling a lot farther than they were.  And the 1A schools are the ones that can't afford the increased travel and lower gate numbers.
We would be better off doing away with a playing conference and letting the schools schedule and travel to wherever they want and can afford.  Then bring them together into district tourneys at end of season.

NewRecruit

I have been to games from 1A to 5A and the lower classifications have a much better turn outs from the fan bases (for the most part) and it hurts them at the gate not playing local teams.

ZoneBuster

Don't coaches make non conference schedule? They should schedule local then.

sevenof400

We could solve the problem with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Ponca

It's stupid. Schools have money to put gas in their buses.

Need to go back to 5+1 classifications. Top Classification has 16 teams in 2 8X2 conferences. Then 32 teams in 8X4 conferences down to lowest classification where the catch-all occurs.

Paperman

I have enjoyed the reduced travel this season! Longest blended conference travel distance was 63 miles! Previously it had been nearly 100 miles! Okay on Friday. Tough during the week nights! Plus competition was much better overall than what I normally see in Northeast Ark!

Missco

Blended conferences lower travel. Gates have been a lot better in NEA. Its better for local rivalaries.  It is a win win situation for most areas of the state.

zebra73

Missco

Same goes for Riverside. Same goes for every school in that blended conference. Gosnell and Truman brought more to LC than Corning or Piggott would. Brookland and Westside travel better than Hoxie or WR.

Missco

Same goes for Corning and Hoxie bringing more fans to pokey and Highland than say Truman, Harrisburg or Gosnell would.

Missco

Same goes for all over the state. Gates have been better all over the state as a whole. Especially in SE and SW Arkansas.

BoxNOne

If the AAA's goal was to confuse most fans, they have succeeded. When you try to explain it to the average fan who knows nothing about it, they just shake their head in disbelief. They have trouble understanding that the "conference" they play in is really not a conference and just a bunch of games the AAA has said you have to play. Then you move to the district (your real conference) and play teams you haven't seen! It's easy to see the confusion for fans who don't follow as closely as some FF posters do. However, there is no doubt that the blended that Riverside plays in has provided better competition for the 3A schools in it.

Radiotalker

Quote from: BoxNOne on February 04, 2017, 08:38:36 am
If the AAA's goal was to confuse most fans, they have succeeded. When you try to explain it to the average fan who knows nothing about it, they just shake their head in disbelief. They have trouble understanding that the "conference" they play in is really not a conference and just a bunch of games the AAA has said you have to play. Then you move to the district (your real conference) and play teams you haven't seen! It's easy to see the confusion for fans who don't follow as closely as some FF posters do. However, there is no doubt that the blended that Riverside plays in has provided better competition for the 3A schools in it.

I agree with everything you said box, but isn't you last sentence what's it's all about......getting better for the postseason. I can say this, win or lose, the teams from our conference will be battle tested.

Radiotalker

Quote from: Missco on February 03, 2017, 10:38:42 pm
Blended conferences lower travel. Gates have been a lot better in NEA. Its better for local rivalaries.  It is a win win situation for most areas of the state.

exactly!!

BoxNOne

Quote from: Radiotalker on February 04, 2017, 08:46:44 am
I agree with everything you said box, but isn't you last sentence what's it's all about......getting better for the postseason. I can say this, win or lose, the teams from our conference will be battle tested.

Radio, there is no doubt our blended has increased the competion level and has decreased travel. However, you look at Corning and Piggott having to go to Cave City,Highland and Melbourne and I figure their travel has increased. It's been a huge change and like everything else, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about it!!

bobcats

Missco

Corning"s travel is a little closer as a whole and I can promise you they enjoy playing those schools. Piggotts is farther but every other school in that blended conference saved on travel. Those schools naturally fit together. Arkansas has way to many classes.

sevenof400

Quote from: Missco on February 03, 2017, 11:10:44 pm
Same goes for all over the state. Gates have been better all over the state as a whole. Especially in SE and SW Arkansas.

A lot of what I've read suggests exactly the opposite.  However, with no official source for gate counts I suppose we will never know the answer to this with certainty.

ZoneBuster

bobcats

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 04, 2017, 12:07:19 pm
How so?

The coaches got together this week to seed teams for the district tournament.  This district has teams from 3 different blended conferences.  I can tell you it was a very unpleasant situation.  The conference seasons have meant nothing this year.  My team is Marshall and we ended up with the 1 seed so we are happy but I know some others are not.

As far as gate and travel I can only speak to Marshall but we lost 2 natural rivals which are 30 and 37 miles away.      Clinton borders Marshall to the south and Mountain View borders to the east/se. We added 2 teams with no ties which are 70 and 90 miles away.  That creates more travel and  lower gate revenue.

Nomad1324

I know plenty of students who aren't athletes (and a lot who are) who don't get it.

They think the teams you play in "conference" are the teams in your "district".

Maybe 6 classifications would help instead of 7. Who knows someone is always going to feel like they got the short end, the problem is that this new iteration of conferences, while good for the gate and maybe for the rivalries, hasn't been good for the teams overall.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: bobcats on February 04, 2017, 03:07:15 pm
The coaches got together this week to seed teams for the district tournament.  This district has teams from 3 different blended conferences.  I can tell you it was a very unpleasant situation.  The conference seasons have meant nothing this year.  My team is Marshall and we ended up with the 1 seed so we are happy but I know some others are not.

As far as gate and travel I can only speak to Marshall but we lost 2 natural rivals which are 30 and 37 miles away.      Clinton borders Marshall to the south and Mountain View borders to the southwest. We added 2 teams with no ties which are 70 and 90 miles away.  That creates more travel and  lower gate revenue.

Why not schedule those rivals in non conference?

Rulesman

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 04, 2017, 06:55:28 pm
That would be too easy and would force the whiners to find something else to complain about.

sevenof400

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 04, 2017, 06:55:28 pm

Part of the problem with that theory has to do with the size of the combined classification districts.  Some have so many teams that some schools were forced to drop out (what were previously) out of conference opponents in order to fit in all of the required games in a combined classification district. 

Missco

Lets break this down to the truth with hard facts and numbers.  In 5/6 A 3 combined conferences have 7 teams, 1 has 8, 1 has 9 and 1 has 10.  So 21 schools get to play 2 extra non-conference games. 8 schools get to play the same as always. So only 19 schools play more conference games. Those numbers dont lie. In the other two combined classes the numbers are more glaring.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 05, 2017, 03:20:48 pm
Part of the problem with that theory has to do with the size of the combined classification districts.  Some have so many teams that some schools were forced to drop out (what were previously) out of conference opponents in order to fit in all of the required games in a combined classification district.

Well this should be the only year that that's a problem, correct? I understand not having time to schedule for this season but I see no excuses going forward.

sevenof400

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 05, 2017, 04:57:08 pm
Well this should be the only year that that's a problem, correct? I understand not having time to schedule for this season but I see no excuses going forward.

Quote from: Missco on February 05, 2017, 04:01:35 pm
Lets break this down to the truth with hard facts and numbers.  In 5/6 A 3 combined conferences have 7 teams, 1 has 8, 1 has 9 and 1 has 10.  So 21 schools get to play 2 extra non-conference games. 8 schools get to play the same as always. So only 19 schools play more conference games. Those numbers dont lie. In the other two combined classes the numbers are more glaring.

I agree with the points both of you are making - not trying to suggest the larger numbers were a universal problem but they obviously directly effect the CCD's with more than 8 teams since they would have had to drop some previous OOC opponents to stay at (or under) the max number of games.

However, the dropping of games can have a collateral (indirect) effect too since a game dropped effects two teams - and some of these might be from the smaller CCD's. 

The point here is the inconsistent number of teams in each CCD makes scheduling harder - not impossible, but harder. 

RedWolf275

WHITEchicken

In Smackover the gates have not been better. We lost playing Hampton, PC, and Harmony Grove which were big crowds. Instead we got to replace with Hamburg, Warren, and crossett. Yeah and those traveling distances didn't help either. For the most part the competition has been a little better but I do not see the 4a side saying the same thing.

SportsDad

Quote from: WHITEchicken on February 06, 2017, 08:48:54 am
In Smackover the gates have not been better. We lost playing Hampton, PC, and Harmony Grove which were big crowds. Instead we got to replace with Hamburg, Warren, and crossett. Yeah and those traveling distances didn't help either. For the most part the competition has been a little better but I do not see the 4a side saying the same thing.
Here in Warren, I think the crowds are about the same, if not a little larger. We lost playing Dumas, DeWitt, Dollarway, and Star City and replaced with Drew Central, Smackover, Junction City, and Fordyce.... so it worked out for us travel wise... and by replacing DeWitt and Star City, it worked out competition wise by playing better teams...But all that being said, it is chaos trying to explain the seeding to folks for the district tourney...

NewRecruit

A lot of you are saying the schools just need to schedule their rivalry games, or closer games, during the non conference schedule.  For some schools that is just not possible.  When the combined conference schedule has you in a league with 9 other schools.  That means you play all conference games and have no non conference games, because football schools are only allowed 18 scheduled games (plus tournaments). Also, schools that are in a district of 6 but a combined conference of 8 or 9 don't have the opportunity to schedule games that they once could.   If you are in a district you should have to play each team in your district every year, for seeding purposes if nothing else.

zebra73

Schools having to travel 3 hours to a district tournament. Something is going to have to change. Ridiculous. Not much prosperity on that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas