• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stand out teams for the 17-18 seasons.

Started by Gr3yhounds, January 13, 2017, 04:41:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gr3yhounds

With losing players and gaining players and working this off season who is going to be a standout next year

beach bum

I hate to be the guy that picks the obvious ones, but you would think it has to be the usual players..... Charleston, Harding Academy, Newport, and Rivercrest. Plus, throw in the usual 5-3A with Glen Rose, Prescott, and a possible third team. Then there will always be a couple teams in the 6-3A who rise to the top out of JC, Smackover, Fordyce, and even Mcgehee.
     I would be fairly confident to think the majority of these teams end up in or right near the top 10 in 3A.

beach bum

My honest assessment too is the two leagues I follow will be quite bad. In the 1-3A, Elkins will not be as stout. That was a really good senior class. I think Clinton and Mountain View will be decent teams, but nothing on the scale of making a serious impact in November. In the 4-3A, it will be Charleston's league easily. Outside of that Atkins will probably fall way off. They graduated their RB, stud WR, and their QB. In 3A, unless you are a top 3 program in 3A no one can sustain that big of a hit. Paris is the wild card in the 4-3A. Do they return a lot of their skill guys cause to me they are definitely one of the bigger disappointments in 3A imo(I know the Charleston folks will love me saying that).... What I mean by them is they have tons of speed all across the field at the skill positions and defense for 3A standards and can't seem to get over the hump and go really far in the postseason. If they return a lot they could be a good team. The 4-3A will probably not even be as good as 2016 even. Charleston will always be there though. Others in different parts of the state will definitely have better outlooks on their own leagues though.

CoolBreeze

January 13, 2017, 06:01:27 pm #3 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:07:08 pm by CoolBreeze
Harding Academy will likely return to the head of the pack in 2-3A. They will have had a year to get used to the new coaching staff and shouldn't get hit as hard by graduation as they did a year ago. Plus, Bald Know loses their two top offensive threats.

RowdyReputation40

My Wolves will be at the top again. Expect another deep run next year. I also see Piggott being a bit of a dark horse next year. Real tough offense to stop.

Paperman

The 3A-3 could have 4 or 5 really good teams next season. Rivercrest, Piggott, Newport, and despite the 2-8 mark this year Osceola could be very good. The Seminoles, like Newport in 2015, have the athletes to be very good. They will also have new leadership with a yet to be named head coach. The Colts will be solid again, great sophomore class coming up. Piggott only had two or three seniors last year, they are so well coached and disciplined. Newport will be really tough, despite my banter last year, you have to take your hat off to them, great season in 2016. And most of their better players return and they have an awesome sophomore group coming up as well. Walnut Ridge should be a good team and Hoxie will be back in the mix. Manila may not be as good as the last two years, but don't discount the Lions. The only team I think will struggle all season is Corning. The Bobcats have had a really tough three years and I don't see it getting better any time soon. 2017 should be interesting in Northeast Arkansas.

CurleyWolf#44

Quote from: RowdyReputation40 on January 15, 2017, 01:30:41 pm
My Wolves will be at the top again. Expect another deep run next year. I also see Piggott being a bit of a dark horse next year. Real tough offense to stop.
+1 Wolves bringing back some nice players. Piggot could be a player if the defense gets better. Wouldn't want to see that offense again

WorkOrder

snoopy22

Prescott will be very, very hard to dethrone next year.  Not much relief in sight anytime soon either.  Their 7th grade has lost one game in the last five years.  In other words starting with next years seniors there is a big time run of athletes coming.  Will probably be the best junior high team in the history of the school next year as well.

ISU7

Quote from: RowdyReputation40 on January 15, 2017, 01:30:41 pm
Piggott have yet to win this conference.

Gr3yhounds

Charleston
Prescott
Newport
River crest
Harding Academy
Fordyce
Piggot
Glen Rose
No particular order just my thought on who is gonna be some pretty good teams next year

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Gr3yhounds on February 02, 2017, 11:31:09 am
Charleston
Prescott
Newport
River crest
Harding Academy
Fordyce
Piggot
Glen Rose
No particular order just my thought on who is gonna be some pretty good teams next year
Looks like the list from most years.

thabeast428

Junction city will be a top 10 next year

Warriors023

Lamar could be a dark horse in the 3A-4. The jr high team this year was very salty, and the o-linemen moving up are abslotley massive. 2 are already 6' plus and 230 plus. Very stout on defense as well. May surprise some people

bigchief72455

Quote from: Paperman on January 16, 2017, 04:03:13 pm
The 3A-3 could have 4 or 5 really good teams next season. Rivercrest, Piggott, Newport, and despite the 2-8 mark this year Osceola could be very good. The Seminoles, like Newport in 2015, have the athletes to be very good. They will also have new leadership with a yet to be named head coach. The Colts will be solid again, great sophomore class coming up. Piggott only had two or three seniors last year, they are so well coached and disciplined. Newport will be really tough, despite my banter last year, you have to take your hat off to them, great season in 2016. And most of their better players return and they have an awesome sophomore group coming up as well. Walnut Ridge should be a good team and Hoxie will be back in the mix. Manila may not be as good as the last two years, but don't discount the Lions. The only team I think will struggle all season is Corning. The Bobcats have had a really tough three years and I don't see it getting better any time soon. 2017 should be interesting in Northeast Arkansas.
Shoot Corning is going to run the spread so they are going to beat everyone. Didn't you guys know that.

Sick Dog

Quote from: snoopy22 on January 22, 2017, 09:08:58 pm
Prescott will be very, very hard to dethrone next year.  Not much relief in sight anytime soon either.  Their 7th grade has lost one game in the last five years.  In other words starting with next years seniors there is a big time run of athletes coming.  Will probably be the best junior high team in the history of the school next year as well.

thats a bold statement there........ dont necessarily mean anything though

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Sick Dog on February 26, 2017, 07:30:38 pm
thats a bold statement there........ dont necessarily mean anything though
Very true. A lot can change in 3 or 4 years.

I know it's a different sport, but it should be equally true in football. I remember when I was in 7th grade back in Bedrock Jr. High, our 7th-grade team went undefeated, even though our 2 best players started on the 8th-grade team. Then, the next year the 8th grade went something like 24-0. When we participated in the only Jr. High tournament in the area, we won the semifinal game by 39 points (more than most 89th grade teams score in a game), and the finals by 38. A totally dominant team!

By the time the members of my class were seniors, the best player from the 8th grade did not even play. The one who had been second best started, but he had improved little since 8th grade. The high school team was mediocre, at best. The point being, success at the junior-high level is some indicator of future success but no guarantee.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas