• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All 208 Arkansas High School Football Mascots... From Memory.

Started by bwapmikeyslap, December 28, 2016, 09:25:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvillegrad77

Highcenter

Quote from: OB11 on January 11, 2017, 10:48:40 am
Just curious, but did any of these schools mentioned that have closed, win a state football championship? (If no football titles, mention other sports.)  If so, who and when? 

I think Jefferson Prep had one in the early to mid 80'.

cuckoobird

Quote from: OB11 on January 11, 2017, 10:48:40 am
Just curious, but did any of these schools mentioned that have closed, win a state football championship? (If no football titles, mention other sports.)  If so, who and when?
Delt warriors won one in basketball and might have won the overall at the time too.. I think Altheimer did the same. Gould won one in football, played Gillett for the title @ Dumas bobcat field

MR#1

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 31, 2017, 12:33:20 pm
Delt warriors won one in basketball and might have won the overall at the time too.. I think Altheimer did the same. Gould won one in football, played Gillett for the title @ Dumas bobcat field

I'm not sure about Delta or Altheimer basketball championships. However, I do know that Delta had the Jones brothers (Caldwell and Major) in the early-70s and they towered over everybody else. Also, Grady won a basketball state championship in 1980 (I think). If I'm not mistaken, Gould beat Grady in the District and Regional Finals, but lost to Grady in the State Finals. They were the two best Class A teams that year.

In football, Jefferson Prep won a football championship in 1981. I don't recall Gould winning a state football championship unless it was before 1970. They were very good in 1977 with Wadell Kelly (who played at ASU), but lost in the first round (back when only the district champions (8 teams) made the playoffs). They beat Rison in a very controversial game in Gould to go 10-0 and win the 8A district. (To this day, I believe the Rison quarterback (D. Taylor) scored on the next to last play of the game and, when the refs called him out of bounds on the 1/2 yard line, I believe that the tailback (K. Baggett) scored on the following play.)

cuckoobird

I think it was 1978 but not absolutely sure. Gillett gould and rison all the same conference at the time.

MR#1

Quote from: cuckoobird on February 02, 2017, 05:18:41 pm
I think it was 1978 but not absolutely sure. Gillett gould and rison all the same conference at the time.

Yes, the 8A had Gillett, Gould, Grady, Delta, and Rison. (Woodlawn may have been in the 8A at that time.) In '77 and '78, Mountain Pine was the state champion; '79 was Harding Academy and '80 was Danville.

cuckoobird

Maybe 81 or 82. I'm going from memory off a runner up banner hanging in a gym that I haven't been in for 25 years

Danvillegrad77

Quote from: MR#1 on February 02, 2017, 11:54:24 pm
Yes, the 8A had Gillett, Gould, Grady, Delta, and Rison. (Woodlawn may have been in the 8A at that time.) In '77 and '78, Mountain Pine was the state champion; '79 was Harding Academy and '80 was Danville.
i know Gillette lost in the title game to Danville in 1974 and Gould lost to Danville in 1980.

cuckoobird

I bet I'm confusing the banner with the gould story of playing twice in one year. Banner probably from 74 and gould story from 78. I just thought gould won the title but the game in dumas was semi final

MR#1

Quote from: cuckoobird on February 03, 2017, 08:49:06 am
Maybe 81 or 82. I'm going from memory off a runner up banner hanging in a gym that I haven't been in for 25 years

'81 was Jefferson Prep and '82 was Rison (beat Hazen 2-0).

Gould had some good teams in those days; playing a playoff game in Dumas makes sense as that field could accommodate more fans than Gould's field. I really miss the old 8A. In the mid-'70s, Dermott was in the 8A; they moved to AA in '76 or '77.

cuckoobird

I miss them too. I wish my children would have been able to play in that atmosphere

athletic supporter

Casa Tigers

Perry Bears. This was an elementary school only. The students then went to Casa for 7-12 grades

old.dole

Thornton Red Devils now at Bearden
Sparkman raiders now at Camden Harmony grove

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas