• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mineral Springs (filled - David Bennett)

Started by nsuqb10, December 24, 2016, 03:13:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Look A Here

It is strange to be taking so long.  I know that they are looking for the right fit, but seems that maybe the process is a little too much.  I get the idea of getting the right guy and the impact of hiring a quality coach.  However its almost March and you're starting to cut into some off-season/spring ball planning.

COACH-Mike

Quote from: airitout on February 23, 2017, 11:11:04 am
I'm not sure what CS is, but any job that takes this long to find a HC is probably a dumpster fire in action.  Into the 3rd try and there hasn't been good enough coaches in the 1st 2?  What's wrong with this place if no good coaches applied, or if they did apply, but they weren't good enough for MS? 
I see you just really want to know what's up.  We will have a good one.  Nothing is on fire either.

Marblehog

Quote from: COACH-Mike on February 16, 2017, 10:28:59 am
And you are surely entitled to your opinion.   Looking to the future. I would like to see a coach be great at building relationships first and foremost and be bought in totally to our school and our community. Then have great programs that develop kids at early ages both off season and in season ( weights and academic ).  Someone that wants to develop all programs not just the boys programs.  I think if all this is done the X's and O's will take care of themselves cause the Johnnie  and Joes will be prepared. Just an OL' Mule Shoe boys opinion.
This is spot on here.  Problem is there are a lot of lazy coaches out there that just don't care.  Hope yall find a good one. 

Katdaddy

After doing a lot of thinking about the Mineral situation, I have come to agree with Coach Mike on some things. I truly believe what Mineral needs in their next coach is someone who is totally invested in the Mineral Springs community. First off, to be totally invested I think the Coach should move into and be a part of that community. I think that having a coach live in the community will show the kids and community that he truly cares about the kids and the program and not just chasing the "big" paycheck. If those kids see that their coach is a part of them then they will do what it takes to get that program turned around. Again just my two cents.

hoggystyle

I'm pretty sure that the next coach already resides in New Hope and won't be moving to the Mineral Springs community.

Marblehog

Surely they will not hire a coach who is not gonna live in Mineral Springs.  That would be a joke

Katdaddy

Did some digging.. sounds like Coach Mike is gonna get his way and get his good buddy Bennett in there

hoggystyle

Just as I called it in my previous post.

Sick Dog

refer to my previous post

~WPS~

Bennett was hired tonight at the school board meeting.

JohnBarleycorn

~WPS~

RZback

Bennets a good coach, has been around and been successful several places.

Look A Here

Don't know Bennett, but I thought that Mineral was looking to make a Big time hire.  Like I said don't know him he may be the best coach that applied.  All I can find is he was at Horatio last year, and Dierks before that.

stuck in between

If this is true is this the "homerun hire" that Mineral was looking for? Didn't he leave Dierks after two consecutive six win seasons and then follow that with a three win season at Horatio? I was also under the impression part of the reason he left Dierks was because he was nearing retirement age and the Horatio job gave him an opportunity to boost his retirement income. If so, this possibly could be a very short stint for him there and leave Mineral searching again in a couple of years.

Pat Swilling

David Bennett is an excellent Coach.  Very good record at Dierks.  Dierks aint exactly loaded with superior talent every year.  Very good hire MS.

southarkdaddy

Maybe not a grand slam, but certainly a home run!

COACH-Mike

February 28, 2017, 10:56:47 am #167 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:09:29 am by COACH-Mike
Quote from: stuck in between on February 28, 2017, 09:50:55 am
If this is true is this the "homerun hire" that Mineral was looking for? Didn't he leave Dierks after two consecutive six win seasons and then follow that with a three win season at Horatio? I was also under the impression part of the reason he left Dierks was because he was nearing retirement age and the Horatio job gave him an opportunity to boost his retirement income. If so, this possibly could be a very short stint for him there and leave Mineral searching again in a couple of years.
When you take a mans tools that are working in his program and try to give them the tools that you want him to get a job done with, it makes things difficult.  You need to have control of all the athletes in small schools.  Strength and Conditioning year round is a must, it does not matter what sport you need to be strong and lifting weights is very important.  For football off season is where you win games.  As AD you have that authority to set your culture.  We are giving him full authority to do so.  My son is in the 4th grade and he says he will be around to see him through.  Time will tell if this is a homerun or not but I sure like my chances with him at the plate.  Mule Shoe is on the rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

airitout

it doesn't matter who they hired, someone would have been upset about it

Look A Here

Quote from: airitout on February 28, 2017, 11:09:18 am
it doesn't matter who they hired, someone would have been upset about it
True...but the build up was little underwhelming...to most of the people on the outside I believe.

COACH-Mike

Quote from: Look A Here on February 28, 2017, 11:14:42 am
True...but the build up was little underwhelming...to most of the people on the outside I believe.
And non of that wins games.

BLUEBLOOD

I was shocked since his name wasn't even on the finalist list published a while back.  Good luck to Coach Bennett and MS.  As long as the Outlaws beat them every year, I wish them the best!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SCRAPYARD

Quote from: COACH-Mike on February 28, 2017, 11:20:59 am
And non of that wins games.
Should fit perfectly in Muneral Sprangs.

Katdaddy

Does anyone know when Coach Bennett will be starting at Mineral?

gameoflife

Bennet's a good hire.  Wasn't he at Prescott for a while?

stuck in between

Quote from: COACH-Mike on February 28, 2017, 10:56:47 am
When you take a mans tools that are working in his program and try to give them the tools that you want him to get a job done with, it makes things difficult.  You need to have control of all the athletes in small schools.  Strength and Conditioning year round is a must, it does not matter what sport you need to be strong and lifting weights is very important.  For football off season is where you win games.  As AD you have that authority to set your culture.  We are giving him full authority to do so.  My son is in the 4th grade and he says he will be around to see him through.  Time will tell if this is a homerun or not but I sure like my chances with him at the plate.  Mule Shoe is on the rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in no way trying to belittle Coach Bennett. Good hire for sure. I was just expecting Saban or at least Kiffin.

footballfan-tastic

Both of those men applied but the salary was just a bit too low

COACH-Mike

Quote from: stuck in between on February 28, 2017, 01:36:59 pm

I was in no way trying to belittle Coach Bennett. Good hire for sure. I was just expecting Saban or at least Kiffin.
Why would I want either one of them when in 1996 as DC Bennett shut out Gus Malzahn at S.C. in his own house as Murfreesboro won 14-0. 

Big Boy

I'm a little surprised at the hire.  There's no doubt that Coach Bennett turned around the fb culture in Dierks, and built and sustained a winning program.  He won a lot of games and had a good record.  I'm surprised primarily that he wanted the job, and that MS wanted him.  My basis is primarily based on his age, health, etc. Sounds like he may want to coach a few more years though, or that's at least what he's saying.  Although he did the things I mentioned while at Dierks, I think it's a stretch to say he has a good off-season program, weight program, or anything related to that.  Some of this falls on the kids I understand, but our weights were dusty, track was asphalted to keep from weedeating the weeds that came up through the red dog, and most of the practices were very relaxed.  Again, something worked though during his time at Dierks and time will tell if it's a good hire at MS.  I'm with Blueblood though, I hope he never beats Dierks.

brotherdew

I may as well weigh in seeing as how Coach Bennett told me personally that he would be watching for my post.  :P

Coach Bennett may have not been on any of our radar, but I assure you that he was on the radar of many in Mineral Springs. His success as a player and coach at Dierks has earned him a level of respect with many of the Hornet faithful.

He is a good man who has long said that he would love to see what he could do with the talent at Mineral Springs. Well David... Here ya go

Good Luck!

WorkOrder

Quote from: gameoflife on February 28, 2017, 01:29:39 pm
Bennet's a good hire.  Wasn't he at Prescott for a while?

Yes he was at Prescott for a while. 3-5 years, can't remember exactly. He coached me and we got beat in the semi's when he was here.

SWARK16

My son is in the 4th grade and he says he will be around to see him through.

Better transfer your son to Nashville like every other smart MS parent

COACH-Mike

Quote from: SWARK16 on March 01, 2017, 08:45:16 am
Better transfer your son to Nashville like every other smart MS parent
Got up drinking that hater aide this morning I see.  I'm smart enough to know he wouldn't fit in there.  We will stay put right where we are.  Nothing like being a Hornet.  And for the record that pipeline is over with.

stuck in between

A bit off subject, but perhaps COACH-Mike can teach me something. How is the term "Mule Shoe" associated with Mineral Springs ? I've heard it over and over, but guess I never heard the story behind it. If there is one. Just curious.

COACH-Mike

Quote from: stuck in between on March 01, 2017, 10:04:01 am
A bit off subject, but perhaps COACH-Mike can teach me something. How is the term "Mule Shoe" associated with Mineral Springs ? I've heard it over and over, but guess I never heard the story behind it. If there is one. Just curious.
During the CB era every town had a handle for their location.  Texarkana was T-town, Nashville was Music City, Murfreesboro Diamond City and Tollette was Chocolate City.  Mineral Springs was Mule Shoe.  It started in the late 70's and early eighties it started to take off as some of the defenses were calling themselves Mule Shoe Wrecking Crew.  It has now become our battle cry.  Mule Shoe Do It To Em!!!  That's my story and I'm Sticking to it.

tacklethis...

Quote from: Big Boy on February 28, 2017, 08:10:18 pm
I'm a little surprised at the hire.  There's no doubt that Coach Bennett turned around the fb culture in Dierks, and built and sustained a winning program.  He won a lot of games and had a good record.  I'm surprised primarily that he wanted the job, and that MS wanted him.  My basis is primarily based on his age, health, etc. Sounds like he may want to coach a few more years though, or that's at least what he's saying.  Although he did the things I mentioned while at Dierks, I think it's a stretch to say he has a good off-season program, weight program, or anything related to that.  Some of this falls on the kids I understand, but our weights were dusty, track was asphalted to keep from weedeating the weeds that came up through the red dog, and most of the practices were very relaxed.  Again, something worked though during his time at Dierks and time will tell if it's a good hire at MS.  I'm with Blueblood though, I hope he never beats Dierks.

+1 on every comment.

Practices were easier than "relaxed". I felt like we had better talent at Dierks in that last 4 or 5 years than our records show. Our players didnt improve as their years went by....other teams seem to get better with less talent.

COACH-Mike

March 01, 2017, 01:59:46 pm #186 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:48:22 pm by COACH-Mike
Quote from: tacklethis... on March 01, 2017, 12:02:58 pm
+1 on every comment.

Practices were easier than "relaxed". I felt like we had better talent at Dierks in that last 4 or 5 years than our records show. Our players didnt improve as their years went by....other teams seem to get better with less talent.

Improvement is made in the off season.  If the kids are not made to lift because they play other sports then they will not improve as an athlete.  When the lifting was taking place there was a definite difference in the program.  Just my two cents.  You got to lift 4 times a week and work on agility and skill sets.  They are lifting 4 times a week now over there.

paraloma

The tailgate party just
got
a
lot
more
interesting. 

I don't mean to be tellin' tales out of school, but there's a feller in there that'll pay you ten dollars if you sing into his can.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: COACH-Mike on March 01, 2017, 01:59:46 pm
Improvement is made in the off season.  If the kids are not made to lift because they play other sports then they will not improve as an athlete.  When the lifting was taking place there was a definite difference in the program.  Just my two cents.  You got to lift 4 times a week and work on agility and skill sets.  They are lifting 4 times a day now over there.

man thats intense  8)

COACH-Mike

Quote from: Dr. Defense on March 01, 2017, 02:33:21 pm
man thats intense  8)
A week. Corrected and that would be insane not intense.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: COACH-Mike on March 01, 2017, 02:49:40 pm
A week. Corrected and that would be insane not intense.

HA I knew what you meant just having a little fun

Look A Here

March 02, 2017, 11:31:38 am #191 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:34:42 am by Look A Here
Maybe a very good hire...we'll have to wait and see

brotherdew

Quote from: Look A Here on March 02, 2017, 11:31:38 am
Maybe a very good hire...we'll have to wait and see

Isn't that true with every hire?

Marblehog

Improvement is made in the off season.  If the kids are not made to lift because they play other sports then they will not improve as an athlete.  When the lifting was taking place there was a definite difference in the program.  Just my two cents.  You got to lift 4 times a week and work on agility and skill sets.  They are lifting 4 times a week now over there.
A lot of joke programs in the state dont have their basketball and baseball players lift.  It amazes me there are still coaches this dumb out there coaching. 

JackofallTrades

I went to the basketball game and the kids that played football look tiny all of a sudden and I bet its because that basketball coach doesn't make them lift so they go from November til March without lifting..I bet no pressure has been applied to his head but its on the head football coach who is not the AD like you guys are making the new guy. I agree the kids should lift all year but you cant when they let the basketball kids go straight to gym after season and never touch a weight again. So when those kids get back they are already behind the 8-ball. Just my opinion and I'm curious to see how this plays out. Bennett is a great X's and O's guy so good luck to the hornets in the future!!

Look A Here

Quote from: brotherdew on March 02, 2017, 02:54:32 pm
Isn't that true with every hire?
Yes I guess that is true, I think we all know that some hires are for sure locks and some are head scratchers.  I was trying to making a comment to the positive and negative post.  But it was poorly delivered. 
  I've never understood the idea of not having kids lift weights year round. Most of which could be done during the athletic period schools have, but for what ever reason at most schools that turns into an extra conference period for some coaches. 

Katdaddy

March 03, 2017, 09:26:55 am #196 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:29:01 am by Katdaddy
Weights benefits ALL sports. I just dont get why coaches do not buy in to this mentality. I think it goes the same for girls athletics also. I feel just like the guys, the girl sports coaches should buy in and have the girls on a weight room program as well..   

I am not only talking about Mineral, I am talking about coaches as a whole. It seems like to be a problem at most places, especially the smaller schools.

Look A Here

March 03, 2017, 09:57:53 am #197 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:10:00 am by Look A Here
So are you saying Bennett is a big weight room guy or not? Because he's only been gone from Dierks for one year right?

COACH-Mike

COACH-Mike

Quote from: Katdaddy on March 03, 2017, 09:26:55 am
Weights benefits ALL sports. I just dont get why coaches do not buy in to this mentality. I think it goes the same for girls athletics also. I feel just like the guys, the girl sports coaches should buy in and have the girls on a weight room program as well..   

I am not only talking about Mineral, I am talking about coaches as a whole. It seems like to be a problem at most places, especially the smaller schools.
Thumbs up Katdaddy.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas