• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 District 7-2A Projections..

Started by tacklethis..., December 13, 2016, 12:27:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tacklethis...

December 13, 2016, 12:27:39 pm Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:37:31 pm by tacklethis...
1. Mt Ida                   Of course, defending state champs with entire backfield returning and only losing 5 seniors.
2. Foreman                 Losing some seniors but have a good back coming back (probably fastest guy in 7-2A next season) and had a good young team.
3. Murfreesboro           Could push Foreman
4. Mineral Springs        Talent, speed and get some more numbers, other changes could be in place as well.
5. Dierks                     Lost seniors everywhere, return a starting TB and receiver and a great young lineman. Other skill players will be 10th graders.                             
6. Lafayette County      Talent, speed but not much "team"
7. Springhill                Will be better but not much better.
8. Mountain Pine          Only played two games last year, struggles with numbers and talent.

2-7 could be in any order. The only thing that is almost certain is 1 and 8!

BLUEBLOOD

I have heard from some that I consider "in the know" that Mineral Springs will be in the market for a new head coach for 2017.  With the right offense in place, their speed & athleticism could give any team fits.  Can the new coach get them to play any defense?.....there's the million dollar question.

tacklethis...

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 14, 2016, 11:58:30 am
I have heard from some that I consider "in the know" that Mineral Springs will be in the market for a new head coach for 2017.  With the right offense in place, their speed & athleticism could give any team fits.  Can the new coach get them to play any defense?.....there's the million dollar question.

I heard the same thing yesterday.

playmaker04

1 Mt. Ida- Huge Jr and soph class returns. Could repeat as State Champions.
2 Murfreesboro- losing a big Sr class off of an 8-4 season but return a big Jr and soph class.
3 Foreman- coming off their best season in recent memory at 8-4. Losing Hall and Moore who combined for over 2000 rushing. But return a large Jr class and Batey who had over 1000 yds rushing.
4 Dierks- loses 17 Srs including Adams 16 td passes and woodruff 1723 APY. Have a decent number of sophomores and freshman coming in.
5 Mineral Springs- only losing 3 srs.
6 LC- Big graduating class from a team that only won 3 games including all stater Miller.
7 Spring Hill- losing a big sr class from a team that didn't win many games.
8 Mountain Pine- NA

Tubz

1 Mt. Ida- Huge Jr and soph class returns. Could repeat as State Champions.
2 Murfreesboro- losing a big Sr class off of an 8-4 season but return a big Jr and soph class.
3 Foreman- coming off their best season in recent memory at 8-4. Losing Hall and Moore who combined for over 2000 rushing. But return a large Jr class and Batey who had over 1000 yds rushing.
4 Dierks- loses 17 Srs including Adams 16 td passes and woodruff 1723 APY. Have a decent number of sophomores and freshman coming in.
5 Mineral Springs- only losing 3 srs.
6 LC- Big graduating class from a team that only won 3 games including all stater Miller.
7 Spring Hill- losing a big sr class from a team that didn't win many games.
8 Mountain Pine- NA

This^^^^^

BLUEBLOOD

Is Turley coming to coach the Hornets?  That seems be the talk on the MS coaching thread.  Does that move the meter in how the conference will shake out next season?

Katdaddy

If true Blueblood, it would be a great hire!!!!!!

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Katdaddy on February 03, 2017, 10:57:14 am
If true Blueblood, it would be a great hire!!!!!!

Where has he been besides Hope?  Has he had any great achievements as head coach?

ABC™

Average at Murfreesboro, average at Hope. He's running from Hope after that 0-10 season.

Katdaddy

Turley was 31-14 at Murfreesboro!!! Is that average??

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Katdaddy on February 03, 2017, 12:10:40 pm
Turley was 31-14 at Murfreesboro!!! Is that average??

At a smaller school so much depends on the talent level for the time period he was there.  That would be average for some periods and way above average for others.  I was honestly asking the question about his head coaching career because I couldn't remember.  Did Murfreesboro make any playoff noise during his tenure there?  Conference titles?  What about while at Hope?  I know he had one of the best athletes in the state a couple years ago but I can't remember if they played deep into 5A playoffs under Turley.

brotherdew

they released a list of five coaches on the short list and Turley was not on the list. The list includes Adrian Ivory of Arkansas High, Ed Duncan at Wynn, Todd Ledford of Arkansas High, Mark King of Foreman and Jeremiah Monden, a coach at Camden Fairview. Monden was an assistant coach at Mineral Springs under Vince Perrin.

Katdaddy

BlueBlood I totally agree with your statement about a lot depends on talent level for the period at a small school.  On the outside one would think Turley is a great hire for Mineral seeing he has won at Murfreesboro and Hope. Now that the list has come out I figure anyone of those guys would be a great hire also.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Katdaddy on February 03, 2017, 04:41:16 pm
BlueBlood I totally agree with your statement about a lot depends on talent level for the period at a small school.  On the outside one would think Turley is a great hire for Mineral seeing he has won at Murfreesboro and Hope. Now that the list has come out I figure anyone of those guys would be a great hire also.

They have now reposted the position with the duties/titles clearly defined.  Seems they may have their guy but had to jump through the hoops to get the money where it needed to be.  Just an outsider perspective. 

BigBob

I think Turley won conference in 2009, but was spanked by junction city in the first round of playoffs that year. His 2014 Hope team was really talented won conference and made it to semis and lost to eventual State Champ morlilton by 3.

stuck in between

Well, the boredom got to me. So, as useless as pre-season polls are here we go:

1, Mt. Ida - Of course with losing only 5 seniors and being the defending state champs look for the Lions to win their third conference championship in a row on their way to a mid December date at War Memorial Stadium. It's going to be tough to dethrone this king. Getting to play what is likely to be the numbers 2 and 3 teams out of the 7-2A at home will give them an added advantage.

2, Foreman - This spot hinges on two things. First can the Gators find a replacement for all state selection Tucker Hall at QB? Number two will they be looking for their fifth coach in as many seasons? Hall was the Gators second leading rusher and their leading tackler in 2016. Trying to find someone to fill his shoes and run the triple option might prove difficult. Along with him Foreman also loses Moore whose 1000 yards rushing helped lead the gators to their first eight win season in who knows when. They will lose only three others to graduation and will be returning a talented Jr. class along with last years leading rusher Batey. Look for some help from a group of 9th graders who went undefeated in conference last year. Having to travel to both Mt. Ida and Murfreesboro  will make things difficult.

3, Murfreesboro - After a puzzling week two loss to Horatio the Rattlers scooted to a 8-4 season. With two of their other three losses coming at the hands of the state champion and runner up. Murfreesboro will be hit hard by graduation losing 14 seniors. This is probably the only reason I have them picked below Foreman. However, they could easily be sitting in the #2 spot for the second year in a row.

4, Dierks - The only team to beat 2016's state champ was just seconds away from winning the conference crown last year before their hopes were ruined by Murfreesboro. That loss gave them a horrible playoff draw which ultimately led them to a six win season for the third straight year. This story doesn't get any better from here. With the Outlaws losing 18 seniors and traveling to Foreman and Murfreesboro it's going to be hard to push for a higher spot.

5, Mineral Springs -  With losing a conference low of three seniors and all the excitement from a new coach look for the Hornets to improve from last year's 3-7 season and make the playoffs for the first time since 2013. Mineral is always loaded with talent if they can get the right coach they should be able to make another run similar to their 2009-2012 campaign soon.

6, Lafayette County - The Cougars lose 14 seniors from a team that only won two games on the field last year. Their travel schedule might help them finish a little higher being as that they got the road trips to Mt. Ida and Foreman over with in 2016. They could push for a possible 4-5 spot, but its unlikely.

7, Spring Hill - The Bears will be young this year with a very small Jr. class coming up to take over the 16 spots left open by the departing seniors. It will be another rebuilding year in Hempstead County I'm afraid. The second year coach will have his hands full trying to convince a team that won one actual game last year that they are capable of winning more.

8, Mountain Pine - If the Red Devils can field a team they will be everyone's choice for Homecoming. Having only won three times in six years is hard to build on, especially when numbers are low. On the bright side they only lost three seniors from last years team.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: stuck in between on February 21, 2017, 01:09:03 pm

1, Mt. Ida - Of course with losing only 5 seniors and being the defending state champs look for the Lions to win their third conference championship in a row on their way to a mid December date at War Memorial Stadium. It's going to be tough to dethrone this king. Getting to play what is likely to be the numbers 2 and 3 teams out of the 7-2A at home will give them an added advantage.

2, Foreman - This spot hinges on two things. First can the Gators find a replacement for all state selection Tucker Hall at QB? Number two will they be looking for their fifth coach in as many seasons? Hall was the Gators second leading rusher and their leading tackler in 2016. Trying to find someone to fill his shoes and run the triple option might prove difficult. Along with him Foreman also loses Moore whose 1000 yards rushing helped lead the gators to their first eight win season in who knows when. They will lose only three others to graduation and will be returning a talented Jr. class along with last years leading rusher Batey. Look for some help from a group of 9th graders who went undefeated in conference last year. Having to travel to both Mt. Ida and Murfreesboro  will make things difficult.

3, Murfreesboro - After a puzzling week two loss to Horatio the Rattlers scooted to a 8-4 season. With two of their other three losses coming at the hands of the state champion and runner up. Murfreesboro will be hit hard by graduation losing 14 seniors. This is probably the only reason I have them picked below Foreman. However, they could easily be sitting in the #2 spot for the second year in a row.

4, Dierks - The only team to beat 2016's state champ was just seconds away from winning the conference crown last year before their hopes were ruined by Murfreesboro. That loss gave them a horrible playoff draw which ultimately led them to a six win season for the third straight year. This story doesn't get any better from here. With the Outlaws losing 18 seniors and traveling to Foreman and Murfreesboro it's going to be hard to push for a higher spot.

5, Mineral Springs -  With losing a conference low of three seniors and all the excitement from a new coach look for the Hornets to improve from last year's 3-7 season and make the playoffs for the first time since 2013. Mineral is always loaded with talent if they can get the right coach they should be able to make another run similar to their 2009-2012 campaign soon.

6, Lafayette County - The Cougars lose 14 seniors from a team that only won two games on the field last year. Their travel schedule might help them finish a little higher being as that they got the road trips to Mt. Ida and Foreman over with in 2016. They could push for a possible 4-5 spot, but its unlikely.

7, Spring Hill - The Bears will be young this year with a very small Jr. class coming up to take over the 16 spots left open by the departing seniors. It will be another rebuilding year in Hempstead County I'm afraid. The second year coach will have his hands full trying to convince a team that won one actual game last year that they are capable of winning more.

8, Mountain Pine - If the Red Devils can field a team they will be everyone's choice for Homecoming. Having only won three times in six years is hard to build on, especially when numbers are low. On the bright side they only lost three seniors from last years team.

Does the new MS head coach change your outlook for 2017 season?

Katdaddy

I could possibly seeing Mineral and Foreman fighting it out for the number 2 spot. With both Murfreesboro and Dierks getting hit hard with graduation, I just dont see either one of them beating Foreman or Mineral. Murfreesboro and Dierks will be fighting it out for the 4 and 5 spots.   JMO

stuck in between

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on February 28, 2017, 11:41:30 am
Does the new MS head coach change your outlook for 2017 season?

Yes and no. I think the hire actually helps Foreman. The cat was out of the bag as far as King being in the mix for the MS job. Now that it looks like the Gators have dodged the bullet (at least for now) as far as hiring their fifth coach in as many years perhaps some consistency will help and they can build on last years success. As I stated above Foreman's success is going to also rely heavy on rather or not they can find a replacement at QB. As far as Mineral's spot I am not drinking the Kool-Aid just yet. True, Coach Bennett is a very good coach and had an successful career at Dierks, but I'm afraid there might be a few hurdles to jump at MS that wasn't quite as high at his old job. I'm not saying that he will not have success at Mineral, but I think it's going to be a few years out. There is a mind set that will have to be changed and I can not help but to think that the school's geographical location within the district isn't going to play a factor in getting kids to off season work outs and so fourth. I do not by any means think Foreman is the shoe in for the second spot. We both learned last year not poke a stick at a snake cause your liable to get bit and I'm not completely buying the fact that the Outlaws will be down as bad as you guy's would lead the rest of us to believe.

COACH-Mike

Just to share a little about Mineral kids, they were asked just what do you want in a coach.  Some with tears in their eyes stated that they want someone to work them harder than ever and build a family within the team.  They want to be held accountable and they are tired of being embarrassed.  The pot is boiling in Mineral.  I think everyone better strap it on cause Bennett will have them ready to play.

BigBob

So will Gurdon drop back down to 2A anytime soon? Haven't heard much out of coach jacksons group in Clark co. In a while.

Tubz

Quote from: stuck in between on February 21, 2017, 01:09:03 pm

I agree with this. Mt. Ida will be the clear winner. Foreman might have the best athlete in 7-2aa and he's only a junior. Murfreesboro has the numbers and have been consistently a playoff team. There problem will be skill players. A lot will be put on QB/WR Motley. No other skill players return if I remember correctly. Don't know much about Dierks. Mineral will get better with Bennett.

HOGS1976

DIERKS IS JUST FINE COMING IN AS THE DARK HORSE!

Katdaddy

Dierks lost to much on both sides of the ball. 3rd would be great for them but I can see 4-6 being where they will finish.

HOGS1976

I PLAYED ON A TEAM ALONG TIME AGO THAT LOST A TON OF SRS IN BASKETBALL AND WE WON REGIONALS,  LIKE I SAID WE ARE FINE AS A DARK HORSE, WEIGHTROOM BABY

tacklethis...

Quote from: HOGS1976 on April 22, 2017, 03:15:35 pm
I PLAYED ON A TEAM ALONG TIME AGO THAT LOST A TON OF SRS IN BASKETBALL AND WE WON REGIONALS,  LIKE I SAID WE ARE FINE AS A DARK HORSE, WEIGHTROOM BABY

I do believe those finals were held in Lockesburg, if I remember correctly. The loser of that game won state...

couch-coach06

Go ahead and criticize me.. but.. I don't think Ida is the clear winner here .. I mean they were not mauling teams last season they play good fundamental football .. but I could see this race being much tighter than y'all act like

HOGS1976

Yes they did win state we played each other 4 times that year we won 2 and they won 2, we we're predicted to be in last place in our district with Oden which I think we beat by 70 just saying yes alot of talent was lost to seniors but there is alot to prove with what's there now

tacklethis...

Quote from: HOGS1976 on April 22, 2017, 10:30:59 pm
Yes they did win state we played each other 4 times that year we won 2 and they won 2, we we're predicted to be in last place in our district with Oden which I think we beat by 70 just saying yes alot of talent was lost to seniors but there is alot to prove with what's there now

That final was a great game. I think y'all won by 20...

nomorewhining

Mountain Pine has a couple of move ins that will make a HUGE difference. Plus the 9th graders that went 4-4 last year. Not saying they are going to win conference, but I think that lock for 8th place is definitely in question.

stuck in between

Quote from: nomorewhining on April 26, 2017, 12:42:41 pm
Mountain Pine has a couple of move ins that will make a HUGE difference. Plus the 9th graders that went 4-4 last year. Not saying they are going to win conference, but I think that lock for 8th place is definitely in question.

In all seriousness this is good to hear. It would be nothing but good for the school, community, and conference if MT. Pine can muster up a team. Good luck to you guys.

HOGS1976

Some of the same kids that was on the basketball team from Hot Springs??

nomorewhining

yes.....plus the starting QB from Lake Hamilton last year

HOGS1976

HMMMM that could make things interesting

Katdaddy

Why would you move from Lake Hamilton to Mt. Pine?? Especially if you were the starting QB!!!! Just seems odd.

nomorewhining

He is from Mt. Pine......moving back home

Eslim03

Quote from: nomorewhining on April 27, 2017, 01:13:22 pm
He is from Mt. Pine......moving back home

I can see moving home but to leave a 6a school to go to a school that didn't even field a team sure does seem like a stretch. Why in the world would a athlete good enough to start QB even think about jumping 4 classes down to a undetermined outcome???

Eslim03

Quote from: couch-coach06 on April 22, 2017, 09:10:22 pm
Go ahead and criticize me.. but.. I don't think Ida is the clear winner here .. I mean they were not mauling teams last season they play good fundamental football .. but I could see this race being much tighter than y'all act like

I agree with couchcoach here. Although win a state championship and return most of your players will always put at the top of the list. With that said the off-season is going really well down south.

nomorewhining

Quote from: Eslim03 on May 05, 2017, 09:47:55 am
I can see moving home but to leave a 6a school to go to a school that didn't even field a team sure does seem like a stretch. Why in the world would a athlete good enough to start QB even think about jumping 4 classes down to a undetermined outcome???

coaching change/philosophy change at the 6A school......plus issues with basketball coach

Eslim03

Quote from: nomorewhining on May 05, 2017, 10:42:11 am
coaching change/philosophy change at the 6A school......plus issues with basketball coach

It's good to hear optimism coming from Mt. pine I know the junior high did have some talent and getting more kids can only help the program. It will be good for the community and conference as well.

SAUAlum

I agree with the predictions. Mt. Ida, Foreman, Murfreesboro, & Dierks all deserve credit where credit is due and even though some have big seniors classes leaving I'm sure each team will fill those positions and be ready in August. As far as the other four in my opinion SH had a rough go of it last year with  losing their star "unknown"  QB in week 2 but I've heard he will be playing this next year. So I give them the 5th spot with him returning and staying healthy. Mineral has athletes and more athletes and it all depends on how they start the season whether they keep up or drop off but they will have athletes to compete with anyone so I give them the 6th spot. Lafayette county also has a lot of athletes but I think they'll be down this next year and the only reason I give them the 7th spot is because Mountain Pine didn't finish the season last year. However, I did see their Junior High and they had some talented kids and also heard a couple move ins from out of state and one from lake Hamilton will make some improvements with their total being around 25-30 filling out the senior high team.

HORNET-MAN

Mineral returns pretty much their whole team from last year with a very talented 9th grade class moving up. I look For Mineral to be in the top 4 somewhere.

Katdaddy

My predictions are:

Mt Ida
Mineral
Foreman
Dierks
Murfreesboro
Springill
Lafayette Co
Mt Pine

stuck in between

What are Mineral's spring ball numbers looking like so far COACH -Mike? Did the arrival of Bennett spark as big of an interest as what was initially thought? Also, does the abrupt departure of Perrin at Dierks change anyone's projections? It is awful late in the year to start a coaching search especially if it drags on like some previous searches did earlier this year.

COACH-Mike

Mineral has 28 kids working and the culture is changing slowly but moving in the right direction.  Kids are paying the price when things are not done as expected.  Spring scrimmage showed some signs that this group could make a little noise.  Excitement can carry you a long ways.  Only one kid in the hallway that we could use.  He wants to play but his mom is the hold up.  He got injured as a sophomore and she is a little concerned. GO MULE SHOE!!!

BigBob

How are the 7-2A teams feeling going into fall camp? Any news on 7 on 7s? Team camps? Should be a interesting year in the west

couch-coach06

Batey may just be the fastest in 2a as Otis Kirk reported his 40 time at the 2 day Arkansas camp last month as 4.21 and 4.24 Richard Davenport reported a 4.40 but if it is in the ball park of either of these reports that's sick speed

BigBob

That's great for any classification. Game changer in 2A if he stays healthy

tacklethis...

Quote from: couch-coach06 on July 24, 2017, 03:15:03 pm
Batey may just be the fastest in 2a as Otis Kirk reported his 40 time at the 2 day Arkansas camp last month as 4.21 and 4.24 Richard Davenport reported a 4.40 but if it is in the ball park of either of these reports that's sick speed

Only 15 players in the history of the NFL combine have ran sub 4.3 40 yard dashes. With the overall record being 4.22.....

tacklethis...

Quote from: BigBob on July 24, 2017, 03:58:07 pm
That's great for any classification. Game changer in 2A if he stays healthy

Great? That is elite speed in the NFL....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas