• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benton @ Jonesboro

Started by ricepig, November 13, 2016, 08:03:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sportsguy80

I wouldn't have expected Benton to win a shootout of 50+ points but that's why they play.

Pr8hd

Congrats to Benton on advancing and JB on a great season. I figured this would be a good game, but never saw the over on points be more than 105 for sure.

I guess the talk by some how the East was going to flex their muscles was just talk as 3 of the final 4 remaining are from the West w/ a West representative for sure in there for the ship.

ricepig

Good game, I think, lol. Both teams had spurts where they scored in less than a minute, and then couldn't get out of their own way for 2 or 3 drives. I figured Jonesboro would score on the last play to win it, as both coaches implemented their "prevent from winning defense."
Jonesboro's offense wasn't clicking, but Benton helped contribute to it. Good luck going forward Benton.

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2016, 10:27:50 pm
Good game, I think, lol. Both teams had spurts where they scored in less than a minute, and then couldn't get out of their own way for 2 or 3 drives. I figured Jonesboro would score on the last play to win it, as both coaches implemented their "prevent from winning defense."
Jonesboro's offense wasn't clicking, but Benton helped contribute to it. Good luck going forward Benton.

I saw the post with about a 1:00 or so left where JB had taken the lead and thought the Canes had done it again. I was shocked to see the update with less than 30 seconds. What a wild one!

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 18, 2016, 10:23:46 pm
Congrats to Benton on advancing and JB on a great season. I figured this would be a good game, but never saw the over on points be more than 105 for sure.

I guess the talk by some how the East was going to flex their muscles was just talk as 3 of the final 4 remaining are from the West w/ a West representative for sure in there for the ship.

That came from some noobs, from further East than Jonesboro, haha. We haven't had an emphasis on defense in 6 or 7 years at Jonesboro, we think we're in the Big 12 and the offense is going to win every game 58-56. It bites us in the rear in the playoffs every year.

Pr8hd

November 18, 2016, 10:36:02 pm #55 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:39:41 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2016, 10:32:26 pm
That came from some noobs, from further East than Jonesboro, haha. We haven't had an emphasis on defense in 6 or 7 years at Jonesboro, we think we're in the Big 12 and the offense is going to win every game 58-56. It bites us in the rear in the playoffs every year.

Yeah, I think it was a Marion guy or fan...we saw how long that lasted.  ;)

I really thought this might be the Canes year to get there, but knew Benton and Russellville to be very tough obstacles to overcome. Still a great year.   

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 18, 2016, 10:30:25 pm
I saw the post with about a 1:00 or so left where JB had taken the lead and thought the Canes had done it again. I was shocked to see the update with less than 30 seconds. What a wild one!

We moved the ball to the 20 yard line in :16, but had to throw it away on the first attempt, and over threw the WR in the end zone for the win. The difference in the last two drives was Jonesboro only rushed 3 and let the Benton QB wait for someone to get open, and they rushed our QB, forcing him to make a quicker throw. He had a guy open in the end zone two plays before, but missed him badly.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 18, 2016, 10:36:02 pm
Yeah, I think it was a Marion guy or fan...we saw how long that lasted. I really though this might be the Canes year to get there, but knew Benton and Russellville to be very tough obstacles to overcome. Still a great year.

That's why you play them, we onside kicked with 11+ minutes left in the 4th and gave them a short field, not sure why? Threw a pick 6, threw another int, and at least a couple of fumbles. We can't complain though, Benton gave us as many as we gave them.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Good year though Jonesboro you'll had a good season had the best wr in the state if you ask me

admorris24

After getting some sleep and my voice back.  What a game.  Reminded me of 2 years ago when we won at PB.  Back and forth the whole night.  2 evenly matched teams and Benton made enough plays at the end to hold on.  I think Adams getting hurt late in the game affected the play call bc the pass was nowhere near being completed.  I thought it was poorly officiated game as well on both sides and whoever was running the clock needs to keep their day job.  So happy for son and his teammates as we will practice on Thanksgiving for the 3rd straight year and get ready for a rematch with RV.

ricepig

Quote from: admorris24 on November 19, 2016, 08:23:50 am
After getting some sleep and my voice back.  What a game.  Reminded me of 2 years ago when we won at PB.  Back and forth the whole night.  2 evenly matched teams and Benton made enough plays at the end to hold on.  I think Adams getting hurt late in the game affected the play call bc the pass was nowhere near being completed.  I thought it was poorly officiated game as well on both sides and whoever was running the clock needs to keep their day job.  So happy for son and his teammates as we will practice on Thanksgiving for the 3rd straight year and get ready for a rematch with RV.

Yeah, even before he was hurt, I think we went several possessions where he didn't touch the ball, and on your last scoring drive, your second play he probably would have had an INT, as the pass was there for the taking.

The officiating was typical high school football with a 5 man crew, out of position. On the kickoff return where we fumbled and Benton recovered, the sideline judge was 10+ yards behind the play and blowing his whistle before the runner was down, but you could hear it loud and clear on our side. I thought some of the penalties weren't marked off correctly, but neither coach complained, haha.

Oldbadger

My biggest complaint on the officiating was, though both teams benefited, how the officials allowed the ball to be snapped while the chains were being moved, at least one time before the down marker was placed. Poor control on there part.  So many issues even the coaches couldn't keep up with them.

ricepig

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 19, 2016, 11:00:42 am
My biggest complaint on the officiating was, though both teams benefited, how the officials allowed the ball to be snapped while the chains were being moved, at least one time before the down marker was placed. Poor control on there part.  So many issues even the coaches couldn't keep up with them.

I don't think they affected the outcome, but they weren't the best, lol. I had never seen the crew before.

Oldbadger

One last comment on this game.  It was an exciting game, but in my opinion, it was played too fast.  Although both teams were no huddle teams and use that as a weapon against their opponents, I feel it led to uncharacteristic turnovers on both teams.  They played with total abandon, not protecting the ball and not making sure the receiver was open.  Sometimes the defense wasn't ready, which is why they run that offense, but sometimes, the offense wasn't either.  There were a couple of times when Jonesboro players weren't set or, seemed to not be in position.  On one TD for Jonesboro, several players were moving before the snap.  I think the officials weren't able to keep up with the fast pace because they never reached for their flag.  On another occasion, Jonesboro's QB, in my opinion, was hit late.  The official reached for his flag, then decided not to throw it.  The game was played so fast the officials couldn't keep up, so they just let it go.  Great game, especially since Benton won.  Jonesboro is a very good team, too bad it's over for them.

T-Bone

My thoughts were Benton won the game.  No excuses.  They won and I congratulate both Benton and Jonesboro for an exciting game. 
Now to a few things that I noticed.  Even with over 50 points the Canes offense was not near clicking like most would have thought by the score.  They did well but they were not clicking like past games.  As for the defense Canes made changes but still allowed number 4 to kill them up the middle many times.  Right up the gut and we couldn't stop the fast little guy.  Also Benton's QB and WR's ripped up our pass defending most of the game.  As for smack talking I believe #42 on Benton's team gets the ribbon.  A great player and probably a great young man but did do some questionable things like the one time a fan from Canes got a gesture raised to him when the player seems to have heard enough from the stands.
Bottom line is Benton won and I congratulate them on a well fought game.  Good luck on the next game Benton.  I am actually routing for you now for the rest of the season.

asuguy870

Jonesboro is never going to get over the playoff hump they run into every year until they learn how to play some defense which may never happen under Coleman. They have changed D coordinators and it has not seemed to make any difference. This was supposed to be the big year with all the senior talent, especially Jonathon Adams. Why did Jhs not try to work their starting QB back in at the end of the season? Seems to me that could have made a difference.

ricepig

Quote from: asuguy870 on November 21, 2016, 08:50:39 am
Jonesboro is never going to get over the playoff hump they run into every year until they learn how to play some defense which may never happen under Coleman. They have changed D coordinators and it has not seemed to make any difference. This was supposed to be the big year with all the senior talent, especially Jonathon Adams. Why did Jhs not try to work their starting QB back in at the end of the season? Seems to me that could have made a difference.

I've screamed this for years, physical teams win in the playoffs, and Jonesboro isn't known as one. They actually played decent defense under Thomas a couple of years, but Coleman wants all of his athletes on defense. That works up until you meet a good team in the playoffs, and then you're watching the finals, or playing basketball.

As far as the backup QB, I can understand starting Tyson, he had earned it by his play since the second game, but he struggled, and doesn't have the arm strength of AJ. Benton had 10 guys within 5 yards of the LOS all night, just daring Jonesboro to take deep shots, that's when they needed AJ, especially with the wind. Oh well, another season of what could have been.......m

Wildcat Football

November 21, 2016, 01:29:56 pm #67 Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:41:42 pm by Wildcat Football
Benton LB/RB/TE/Punter #42 Harris is a beast on offense and defense, probably playing best 3 game stretch his entire career.  Yeah, he likes the intimidation factor, reminds me of the Boz personality-wise, or some of the old Steeler LB's in the 70's. JB was a lot bigger and faster than I expected.  I can't believe with that size on the Def Line they didn't dominate from that side of the ball.  They have some exceptional athletes (RB, QB, WR) and a lot will be back next year, so they will be in the mix again.  Benton surprised me winning a big game like this on the road.  This will should provide a confidence boost of sorts heading to Russellville. One of the craziest games I've ever seen; it was very fast-paced.  Hats off to JB for a great season...fun team to watch.  Kudos to the coaching staff too for Benton, they were intense the whole game.  Brandon Hunter # 4 is the man too, what a player with super speed and finds holes easily.  If college teams don't give him a chance, it will be a crying shame.  I believe JB should have thrown it up for grabs to Adams #10 on last play, glad they didn't though.  He is a man-child.  I don't understand SEC, Big 12 not going after him.  How about my Wildcats holding GW to just 20 points!

asuguy870

November 21, 2016, 03:50:59 pm #68 Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:53:49 pm by asuguy870
Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2016, 09:59:31 am
I've screamed this for years, physical teams win in the playoffs, and Jonesboro isn't known as one. They actually played decent defense under Thomas a couple of years, but Coleman wants all of his athletes on defense. That works up until you meet a good team in the playoffs, and then you're watching the finals, or playing basketball.

As far as the backup QB, I can understand starting Tyson, he had earned it by his play since the second game, but he struggled, and doesn't have the arm strength of AJ. Benton had 10 guys within 5 yards of the LOS all night, just daring Jonesboro to take deep shots, that's when they needed AJ, especially with the wind. Oh well, another season of what could have been.......m

Who starts next season? And does the defense ever find a solution or is this going to be a routine until Coleman retires?

ricepig

Quote from: asuguy870 on November 21, 2016, 03:50:59 pm
Who starts next season? And does the defense ever find a solution or is this going to be a routine until Coleman retires?

I can't answer either of those, haha.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 21, 2016, 01:29:56 pm
Benton LB/RB/TE/Punter #42 Harris is a beast on offense and defense, probably playing best 3 game stretch his entire career.  Yeah, he likes the intimidation factor, reminds me of the Boz personality-wise, or some of the old Steeler LB's in the 70's. JB was a lot bigger and faster than I expected.  I can't believe with that size on the Def Line they didn't dominate from that side of the ball.  They have some exceptional athletes (RB, QB, WR) and a lot will be back next year, so they will be in the mix again.  Benton surprised me winning a big game like this on the road.  This will should provide a confidence boost of sorts heading to Russellville. One of the craziest games I've ever seen; it was very fast-paced.  Hats off to JB for a great season...fun team to watch.  Kudos to the coaching staff too for Benton, they were intense the whole game.  Brandon Hunter # 4 is the man too, what a player with super speed and finds holes easily.  If college teams don't give him a chance, it will be a crying shame.  I believe JB should have thrown it up for grabs to Adams #10 on last play, glad they didn't though.  He is a man-child.  I don't understand SEC, Big 12 not going after him.  How about my Wildcats holding GW to just 20 points!

Benton has a good team, but I don't think they are state champs worthy. I didn't think Jonesboro had the defense to win it all, but they will keep you in the stands until the end. Jonesboro was shutting down all of Benton's run game early, but Benton started double teaming our NG and caught us in a run blitz for two long TD runs, nice adjustment by your staff. We eventually went to some four d-line looks to stop this, but switched to a three man front on your winning drive, not blitzing or rushing more than 3, crazy.

OB11

Ricepig said it best in that Coleman puts all of his athletes on offense.  Leaves the defense piecing things together with the leftovers and then taking the blame for losses. 

Take your best 5 or 6 athletes and have them play both ways from the start of the season instead of trying to plug them in halfway through or late in the season when your defense isn't getting the job done.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas