• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will it Change?

Started by Hornet4ever, November 07, 2016, 05:30:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornet4ever

Will 6A ever become more interesting? Sure, Greenwood and Pine Bluff have had some interesting games in the past few years. El Dorado threw in some punches through out. When will something change though, and 6A become more competitive.. We all know Greenwood is going to WMS, and it will probably be that way for the next few years. Is combining 7A and 6A a bad idea? Or maybe collaborating something with 5A? I cant be the only one who thinks this way. The lack of teams in the 6A is just so unappealing..

zebradynasty

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 07, 2016, 05:30:21 am
Will 6A ever become more interesting? Sure, Greenwood and Pine Bluff have had some interesting games in the past few years. El Dorado threw in some punches through out. When will something change though, and 6A become more competitive.. We all know Greenwood is going to WMS, and it will probably be that way for the next few years. Is combining 7A and 6A a bad idea? Or maybe collaborating something with 5A? I cant be the only one who thinks this way. The lack of teams in the 6A is just so unappealing..

What did 7A tell you when you posted the same thing about them?

Wildcat Football

November 07, 2016, 09:20:54 am #2 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:23:33 am by Wildcat Football
7A West has dominated for years.  Hornet4Ever, come back to us after you get past the second round.  You are just stirring up trouble, good try though.  The 6A East has been competitive with 4-5 teams able to advance to WMS.  The 6A West has GW, Russellville, LH, and Benton able to put together a good run.  I do give GW high odds but won't be surprised either if any of these other teams take the crown this year.  I would say it has been a good year for 6A ball.  GW hasn't won a state championship since 2012, so your logic isn't quite there.  I believe GW put the wood to the Hornets a few times over the last couple of years too.

Oldbadger

Surprise, surprise! I agree with Wildcat Football.  Don't have a heart attack!  The thing about high school football, for the most part, is that, it is so cyclic.  One team will be top dog for a few years, then another will take over as "king of the hill".  I remember just a few short years ago when Eldo ruled the roost.  As a matter of fact, I believe Eldo stopped GW's run to the title a few years ago.  There was a time, a looonnngg time ago that even Sheridan was top dog when Campbell was there (not 6A though). Lake Hamilton was a top team a few years ago and is making noise now to return to that prominence.  Texarkana has the athletes.  When they solve their problem, they will be tough.  Not to mention Benton who has done some interesting things the last three years, and judging from their Junior high team, may continue to do so.  So, why change?  No matter how you finagle it, some will always want something different.  Let it alone, it will take care of itself, next cycle, maybe?

Pr8hd

November 07, 2016, 10:52:56 am #4 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:59:09 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Oldbadger on November 07, 2016, 09:49:26 am
  As a matter of fact, I believe Eldo stopped GW's run to the title a few years ago. 

Actually, PB stopped GW on the last one (many thought was a shoe in) in 2013 in the semi's and last year as well in 2015 at the finals. 2014 ED got GW in the quarters unexpectedly, we should have had a showdown with Benton that year in the semi's. I don't think there is a guarantee GW is a shoe in for WMS. 2013 especially and 2014 showed that to GW. I think this years 6A has been one of the more competitive ones since GW has moved up. GW might be considered the favorite by some, but I think it's pretty wide open between 6-7 teams all capable of beating GW at some point along the way if any of those teams play there A game and GW doesn't.  I would agree withe Wildcat and OB though largely. I do believe 6A has some teams that could compete with 7A teams though. Winning it all or being there at the end might might be a stretch though during normal cycles.

Also, Wildcat GW never plays Hackett in anything, but maybe little league football and boys club basketball occasionally  ;) . Hackett has had a pretty salty year though themselves (9-1) .So, kudos to them. Several teams within the GW area (Charleston, Alma, FS NS, Hackett) have had good years in their classifications.

The difference between a good year and a great year will be determined in these November games the next few weeks. 

itsslim

GW is unbeatable, might as well crown them now. Lol Back to Back defending champs Zebras don't stand a chance 😏

Wildcat Football

I really do appreciate the confidence, which usually leads to a setback.  How many times have we seen the mighty fall?  God has a funny way of humbling us.  I know personally that when I think things are going swell...BAM!!! All of sudden, it's how did that happen?  Good luck to all teams, its why the kids suit up and play the game, should be fun to watch who comes out on top!  My money is on a few upsets along the way.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Quote from: itsslim on November 07, 2016, 12:52:14 pm
GW is unbeatable, might as well crown them now. Lol Back to Back defending champs Zebras don't stand a chance 😏

Thers's no need to play in the playoffs Greenwood is a perfect football team that have 2 D1 quaterbacks that will give any 6A team the business every night  :)

bulldogger15

Quote from: itsslim on November 07, 2016, 12:52:14 pm
+1  I like your style itsslim.

You won't think it's funny once you make your way back to Pine Bluff after Greenwood puts it on your Zebra's in the semi-finals. You better get Cardinal Hide and zebrafantasy to come help you out. You guys will need all you can get.  :'( :'( :'(

GO BULLDOGS!!!

itsslim

Nah the almighty greenwood Bulldogs are scary, I'll be going to bentonville to watch Pine Bluff Zebra basketball team live playing in the ESPN classic after the football game that Saturday. All hail Greenwood they can't be beat, the zebras will lay down. dang might as well crown the Bulldogs now!

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

It's very cyclical. I think at times you get a group of athletes that just are hard to stop. Then it seems a few years go by before you get another class that can step up.  When Eldo started their climb in 07-08 we were close, but could not get by LH. Got beat by them in the finals in 08. Then won 3 state championships in a row from 09-11. Had the team to do it again in 2012 but ran into a GW team that just happened to have Drew Morgan as a senior and we couldn't stop him. Remember that was also the year GW moved up, so take them out of the equation and I think Eldo cruises to the finals again. We slipped another in 2013. Then ran out of QB's and the rest is history. Made a good run in 2014, even beating GW in the quarterfinals, but hit a juggernaut in Benton. Remember 2 of those State Championships came at Pine Bluffs expense, one when Skelton was young that year. But he ended up winning two before it was over. I see Benton, Russellville and GW as the next powerhouses. PB too actually. LH could be hard to handle in the future once Reed gets his offense established.

urban legend2

6A is fine. GW is going to be GW, PB is young, very young, ED won't be down for long, JB is as consistent as they come, Benton has been on the upswing for the past 3-4 years now, etc. Just like any other class, you've got a group of 5 or 6 teams that are always going to be near the top, and then you're going to have some bottom feeders. That's just how it is.

itsslim

Much respect on the last two posts!!! Well said

Hornet4ever

WOAH, people chill out. I meant no disrespect towards any 7A schools, or any of that matter. I am simply talking about the lack of competition in the 6A class. I even stated in the original post that Greenwood and Pine Bluff, and even El Dorado have had good battles in the past, but thats it. If you can't understand that then don't respond to the post. 6A could use a makeover to polish up the competition, and I think if it combined with 7A or some collaboration with 5A possibly; it would do that just that. Think of the great battles with PA, or Camden Fairview in the past.. To the jack-wagon that made a comment about Hackett making it beyond the second round, that's hilarious. Make a comment about a 2A team, in simple regards to my forum name. Your intelligence is shining brightly. If I cant get on the 6A board and make a simple post about lack of competition in the 6A class what is the point of these boards? The Wildcat poster is just mad that El Dorado is struggling this season.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 07, 2016, 09:20:54 am
7A West has dominated for years.  Hornet4Ever, come back to us after you get past the second round.  You are just stirring up trouble, good try though.  The 6A East has been competitive with 4-5 teams able to advance to WMS.  The 6A West has GW, Russellville, LH, and Benton able to put together a good run.  I do give GW high odds but won't be surprised either if any of these other teams take the crown this year.  I would say it has been a good year for 6A ball.  GW hasn't won a state championship since 2012, so your logic isn't quite there.  I believe GW put the wood to the Hornets a few times over the last couple of years too.

No, Greenwood doesnt play Hackett. They are 6A, we are 2A. Nice try though.

chickenplucker

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 08, 2016, 12:24:03 am
No, Greenwood doesnt play Hackett. They are 6A, we are 2A. Nice try though.
I think he may be talking about the Bryant Hornets.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: chickenplucker on November 08, 2016, 07:10:23 am
I think he may be talking about the Bryant Hornets.

Guess he thinks I'm from Bryant

Wildcat Football

November 08, 2016, 10:10:15 am #17 Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:15:49 am by Wildcat Football
Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 08, 2016, 07:27:53 am
Guess he thinks I'm from Bryant
Yes, sorry H4Ever thought you were from Bryant.  Hey, you are free to post ideas...in some ways I agree, but not entirely.  I am upset about ED this year, bad luck with injuries and all.  It is cyclical and we will be back, too much tradition and a good coach.  I do think my other team Benton (w/ nephew playing) will be good next couple of years.  The last 2 junior high classes have been really good, and the only 6A loss this year in Jr High was to Marion, that team will be really good too since Sr High is also young.  I also know GW fans think they have a really good class at Jr High, unfortunately.  You might as well say they have become Southside's proxy. Does anyone think it is a coincidence that since FS Southside has been losing, GW keeps rolling?  They are getting transfers from FS Southside, GW even has good players coming from Russellville that have transferred to GW recently.  It is all probably legit, just sayin.  If current enrollment stays where it is, GW might be in 5A next couple of years, then GW v PA can fight it out.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 08, 2016, 10:10:15 am
Yes, sorry H4Ever thought you were from Bryant.  Hey, you are free to post ideas...in some ways I agree, but not entirely.  I am upset about ED this year, bad luck with injuries and all.  It is cyclical and we will be back, too much tradition and a good coach.  I do think my other team Benton (w/ nephew playing) will be good next couple of years.  The last 2 junior high classes have been really good, and the only 6A loss this year in Jr High was to Marion, that team will be really good too since Sr High is also young.  I also know GW fans think they have a really good class at Jr High, unfortunately.  You might as well say they have become Southside's proxy. Does anyone think it is a coincidence that since FS Southside has been losing, GW keeps rolling?  They are getting transfers from FS Southside, GW even has good players coming from Russellville that have transferred to GW recently.  It is all probably legit, just sayin.  If current enrollment stays where it is, GW might be in 5A next couple of years, then GW v PA can fight it out.

I wouldn't put much stock in Jr High football, it doesn't always translate to Sr high. Marion has been pretty good in Jr high before, and it hasn't meant much. WM has 3 Jr highs in our league and Jonesboro has 2. MacArthur has been winning conference lately, and I think they were co-champs again with Marion.

As far as enrollment, this might interest you.

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=149405.0

Wildcat Football

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2016, 10:39:43 am
I wouldn't put much stock in Jr High football, it doesn't always translate to Sr high. Marion has been pretty good in Jr high before, and it hasn't meant much. WM has 3 Jr highs in our league and Jonesboro has 2. MacArthur has been winning conference lately, and I think they were co-champs again with Marion.

As far as enrollment, this might interest you.

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=149405.0
Good stuff here on enrollment projections, thanks for sharing.  So, it looks like GW, Texarkana, & Parkview could swing based on projections.  I do know Texarkana keeps losing students to Texas side, so that could change depending on swings back and forth.

Pr8hd

November 08, 2016, 11:38:04 am #20 Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:17:49 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 08, 2016, 10:10:15 am
You might as well say they have become Southside's proxy. Does anyone think it is a coincidence that since FS Southside has been losing, GW keeps rolling?  They are getting transfers from FS Southside, GW even has good players coming from Russellville that have transferred to GW recently.  It is all probably legit, just sayin.  If current enrollment stays where it is, GW might be in 5A next couple of years, then GW v PA can fight it out.

GW is not getting any transfers from Southside. They are losing because they split their talent among 3 high schools (SS, NS, Union Academy) and 6 jr highs (that don't play as one team till sophs.) including the two private ones and they have have had a down cycle at the feeder schools to SS. GW has only 1 Jr High. So, they play in a system together from 7th (they actually field 2 teams) thru 12th. I don't know of any SS players coming to GW though. The last transfer I can recall from SS was back in 2007 a RB (Hopkins?) and he left SS due to playing time I believe. SS isn't losing talent and kids to GW, the main difference boils down to ultimately coaching and the talent cycle particularly at the QB position, this is why they wanted Noland to transfer since he split time with Hales. SS was pretty successful in 2014, 2013, & 2012 as well, I recall. This year is not the norm at SS and NS is experiencing success under a newer coach and talent upswing.

FS has school choice and if a GW really kid wanted to go there they actually could attend either HS- I know of a few that have done that. One I know of ,with a very prominent last name in GW, left GW to be a Dixie Belle or whatever they call them nowadays. Meanwhile, GW does not have school choice. You have to have an established residence in the district that is in GW schools. The Russellville transfer you spoke of - his dad is a GW alum as are his sisters. He lives in GW now. GW is one of the best districts in the state not just athletically, but academically as well. It's also one of the safest cities to live in Arkansas and see it pop up on one of the best places to live in Arkansas.

There are a lot of pros on why people choose to move to GW school district. Personally, I know of 2 new out of state people in my own company that  recently relocated here chose to live in GW district because they researched prior to moving where was one of the best places to live in this area. One chose GW over Alma, and the other chose GW flat out.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 08, 2016, 10:47:15 am
Good stuff here on enrollment projections, thanks for sharing.  So, it looks like GW, Texarkana, & Parkview could swing based on projections.  I do know Texarkana keeps losing students to Texas side, so that could change depending on swings back and forth.

I don't see GW moving out of 6A in the next cycle, they will likely remain the smallest enrollment 6A school which they have been I believe since moving up from 5A. PA petitioning and moving on up to 6A would be very interesting. I don't think that's likely. However, if they did, I assume that would potentially bump GW back down?

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 08, 2016, 11:38:04 am
GW is not getting any transfers from Southside. They are losing because they split their talent among 3 high schools (SS, NS, Union Academy) and 6 jr highs (that don't play as one team till sophs.) including the two private ones and they have have had a down cycle at the feeder schools to SS. GW has only 1 Jr High. So, they play in a system together from 7th (they actually field 2 teams) thru 12th. I don't know of any SS players coming to GW though. The last transfer I can recall from SS was back in 2007 a RB (Hopkins?) and he left SS due to playing time I believe. SS isn't losing talent and kids to GW, the main difference boils down to ultimately coaching and the talent cycle particularly at the QB position, this is why they wanted Noland to transfer since he split time with Hales. SS was pretty successful in 2014, 2013, & 2012 as well, I recall. This year is not the norm at SS and NS is experiencing success under a newer coach and talent upswing.

FS has school choice and if a GW really kid wanted to go there they actually could attend either HS- I know of a few that have done that. One I know of ,with a very prominent last name in GW, left GW to be a Dixie Belle or whatever they call them nowadays. Meanwhile, GW does not have school choice. You have to have an established residence in the district that is in GW schools. The Russellville transfer you spoke of - his dad is a GW alum as are his sisters. He lives in GW now. GW is one of the best districts in the state not just athletically, but academically as well. It's also one of the safest cities to live in Arkansas and see it pop up on one of the best places to live in Arkansas.

There are a lot of pros on why people choose to move to GW school district. Personally, I know of 2 new out of state people in my own company that  recently relocated here chose to live in GW district because they researched prior to moving where was one of the best places to live in this area. One chose GW over Alma, and the other chose GW flat out.

I always wonder what other people do for a living, I see you work for the GW Chamber of Commerce, lol.

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2016, 12:48:49 pm
I always wonder what other people do for a living, I see you work for the GW Chamber of Commerce, lol.

Funny, I always pictured you working for the AAA, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 08, 2016, 01:32:41 pm
Funny, I always pictured you working for the AAA, lol.

Nah, I don't sell insurance......

itsslim

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas