• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jonesboro vs Marion

Started by Made, November 03, 2016, 07:06:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Made

ricepig

Pretty good game, if you don't care about defense, lol. Jonesboro can score on anyone, but they have trouble stopping much. Prayers out to the Marion player who broke his leg tonight, hopefully it's not too serious.

T-Bone

Marion had some speed and their passing was good.  Canes lost a lot with pass defense not where it usually is as well as special teams.  Two kick off TD returns between this week and last week game.  I hope they spend  days practicing special teams to prepare for next game.  Bottom line was I was more impressed with Marion offense than PB or WM.  They were not real big but the speed kept them in the game.  I hope the young man that was hurt has a quick recovery.  I hate to see players hurt no matter what team they are on.

Redwolves8526

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Sound like one heck of a game from looking at all these teams in the 6A East is like being in the SEC West. It could be an East rematch in the Finals. Nothing against Greenwood but I think they haven't been tested week in and week out like the East have.

Pr8hd

November 04, 2016, 09:18:04 am #5 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:48:43 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 04, 2016, 08:19:43 am
Sound like one heck of a game from looking at all these teams in the 6A East is like being in the SEC West. It could be an East rematch in the Finals. Nothing against Greenwood but I think they haven't been tested week in and week out like the East have.

You are aware GW played Marion last year at GW in the playoffs and it was 42-3 right? This is a new year, but there was nothing impressive about Marion last year that would lead me to think they could pull the upset this year on the road again at GW where they seldom lose. While this year is a different, many of GW's pieces remain the same most notably at QB.

Meanwhile, GW has played and beat a 7A Northside team who is a top 10 team in the state, who should have have beat NLR too I might add. The also beat a 5A contender in Alma and a normally tough 7A team in Southside. Also, they beat two very good 6A teams in Russellville and Benton who will be in the mix of things in the playoffs.  Oh, they also beat everyone else they were supposed to beat. Besides losing some close games to 6A East teams, who has Marion actually beaten that's so impressive or at least more impressive in games that GW has ACTUALLY won?  Mountain Home, Jacksonville, LR Hall...wow, that is a very impressive resume. Marion is a .500 team and lost to not ONE but TWO 5A teams, one very badly. The game could be closer, but no facts lead me to believe the outcome (a GW win) will be any different in a meeting between the two.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

I will say this Marion has been battle tested and Greenwood haven't if Marion is healthy I guarantee you it want be another mercy rule and to throw it out there Marion has better athletes but coaching we will see about that when they play you all in the second round of the playoffs notice Marion don't get a bye week while Greenwood is resting a bye week can be good and bad at the same time. Let the truth be told Marion suppose to be undefeated in conference play they just had a couple plays that didn't go there way.

Pr8hd

November 04, 2016, 09:35:25 am #7 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:40:39 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 04, 2016, 09:26:05 am
I will say this Marion has been battle tested and Greenwood haven't if Marion is healthy I guarantee you it want be another mercy rule and to throw it out there Marion has better athletes but coaching we will see about that when they play you all in the second round of the playoffs notice Marion don't get a bye week while Greenwood is resting a bye week can be good and bad at the same time. Let the truth be told Marion suppose to be undefeated in conference play they just had a couple plays that didn't go there way.

Lol,  the ole 'Horseshoes and Handgrenades Manifest Destiny" arguement.....  "should be".  I bet Jonesboro, WM and PB had a say in those outcomes not just excuses. We will see, I wouldn't wager too many of them hoping on the Marion bandwagon. Like I said, it might be a better game , but no facts support your assumptions.

GW's going to work on LH, going 10-0 in the regular season for the second year in a row then will get back to you in a couple of weeks. 

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

November 04, 2016, 10:02:18 am #9 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:09:31 am by RushingRed14
Quote from: Pr8hd on November 04, 2016, 09:35:25 am
Lol,  the ole 'Horseshoes and Handgrenades Manifest Destiny" arguement.....  "should be".  I bet Jonesboro, WM and PB had a say in those outcomes not just excuses. We will see, I wouldn't wager too many of them hoping on the Marion bandwagon. Like I said, it might be a better game , but no facts support your assumptions.

Wynne would give Greenwood a very good run for their money. Blytheville was one play that a starting sophomore blew (what sophomore is perfect week 3?). Marion is three plays away from an undefeated conference season. West Memphis was a special teams blunder (along with it being a rivalry game). Pine Bluff was a last-second play where a secondary defensive player missed by one step, and Jonesboro was a successful onside recovery taken away from Marion by the officials (they flagged it, waved it off, then re-flagged it). Yes, they had their chances in each game, but so does every team. Can Marion compete with Greenwood? Yes. 14-3 at the half last year showed glimpses of it. Their coaches gave Marion a lot of credit. But, I don't think the East is quite the beast Cardinal Pride is showing. Greenwood's title to lose.

Pr8hd

Quote from: RushingRed14 on November 04, 2016, 10:02:18 am
But, I don't think the East is quite the beast Cardinal Pride is showing. 

+1...I think the East has 4 competitive teams, but so does the West, at least I assume LH is in that group will know more after tonight.

7AFBFAN

It is Greenwoods title to lose. I see a scenario where Jonesboro makes the finals against GW, scores 50, and loses by 20+. Pine Bluff can pull some magic out of a hat again in semis and give GW a competitive game. Everything else will just be another walk in the park for GW.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on November 04, 2016, 10:02:18 am
Wynne would give Greenwood a very good run for their money. Blytheville was one play that a starting sophomore blew (what sophomore is perfect week 3?). Marion is three plays away from an undefeated conference season. West Memphis was a special teams blunder (along with it being a rivalry game). Pine Bluff was a last-second play where a secondary defensive player missed by one step, and Jonesboro was a successful onside recovery taken away from Marion by the officials (they flagged it, waved it off, then re-flagged it). Yes, they had their chances in each game, but so does every team. Can Marion compete with Greenwood? Yes. 17-3 at the half last year showed glimpses of it. Their coaches gave Marion a lot of credit. But, I don't think the East is quite the beast Cardinal Pride is showing. Greenwood's title to lose.
Lol, Marion needed more than one play to beat Jonesboro. I didn't realize that you get points for recovering an illegally executed onside kick. You do know that you can't go down and tackle/block the receiving team before the ball goes 10 yards? Shoot, had Marion recovered and scored, Adams would have taken a 2yrd pass and gone the distance again, lol.

Marion has some athletes, but let's not pretend that Jonesboro plays defense, or, that their secondary can tackle anyone. Marion will have their hands full with El Do, Reed was their with several of his staff scouting y'all. He'll recognize the cut back sprint draw and actually have some there for it. Good luck going forward, y'all have improved over the past few seasons.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

How many 6A championships Greenwood have?

Pr8hd

November 04, 2016, 10:27:48 am #14 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:30:21 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 04, 2016, 10:23:37 am

1 in 2012 their first year in 6A football after the move up from 5A.

Also, GW has been to semi's 3 times in the 4 previous years in 6A and GW has made 2 finals appearances in the 4 previous years in 6A. 

How about Marion???  Any titles in 6A football or semis/finals appearances?  ;D

7AFBFAN

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 04, 2016, 10:23:37 am

If comparing 6A championships just give the trophy to ElDorado.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Heck NO you know that just didn't know the history I know that Greenwood is good but knew that Greenwood was a major powerhouse in 5A for a long time The only reason why I say Marion is sleeper is because of the racetrack they have on their field their d tackles are very physical and quick to get the quaterback

ricepig

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 04, 2016, 10:32:40 am
Heck NO you know that just didn't know the history I know that Greenwood is good but knew that Greenwood was a major powerhouse in 5A for a long time The only reason why I say Marion is sleeper is because of the racetrack they have on their field their d tackles are very physical and quick to get the quaterback

I was surprised how small Marion's offensive line was, they had decent size at the DT's, though. Jonesboro was able to get to the edge about anytime they needed to on offense.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 10:40:07 am
I was surprised how small Marion's offensive line was, they had decent size at the DT's, though. Jonesboro was able to get to the edge about anytime they needed to on offense.

I heard a guy from Marion got hurt last night which player got hurt?

ricepig

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 04, 2016, 10:41:47 am
I heard a guy from Marion got hurt last night which player got hurt?

O-lineman, I believe. I couldn't read the uniform numbers to tell you, haha.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 10:17:22 am
Lol, Marion needed more than one play to beat Jonesboro. I didn't realize that you get points for recovering an illegally executed onside kick. You do know that you can't go down and tackle/block the receiving team before the ball goes 10 yards? Shoot, had Marion recovered and scored, Adams would have taken a 2yrd pass and gone the distance again, lol.

Marion has some athletes, but let's not pretend that Jonesboro plays defense, or, that their secondary can tackle anyone. Marion will have their hands full with El Do, Reed was their with several of his staff scouting y'all. He'll recognize the cut back sprint draw and actually have some there for it. Good luck going forward, y'all have improved over the past few seasons.

We couldn't hear the ref's call. We thought it was alleged illegal touching again. If it was illegal block, then I find that more believable. And I'm humbled that ricepig is offering well wishes to a Crittenden County team! Cubs winning the World Series has nothing on this! Lol all kidding aside, thanks and same to Jonesboro.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 11:16:35 am
O-lineman, I believe. I couldn't read the uniform numbers to tell you, haha.

Miller- Left Tackle. High ankle bone fracture. Surgery was this morning.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on November 04, 2016, 11:27:25 am
We couldn't hear the ref's call. We thought it was alleged illegal touching again. If it was illegal block, then I find that more believable. And I'm humbled that ricepig is offering well wishes to a Crittenden County team! Cubs winning the World Series has nothing on this! Lol all kidding aside, thanks and same to Jonesboro.

Shoot, I'm for our conference mates when we play the other side, otherwise it's game on, haha. Better Marion and WM teams make for a better conference, which makes Friday night's more interesting.

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 11:56:26 am
Shoot, I'm for our conference mates when we play the other side, otherwise it's game on, haha. Better Marion and WM teams make for a better conference, which makes Friday night's more interesting.

Our newspaper has clarified the events of that onside kickoff. The flag was for illegal touching. That was waved off (like has happened before multiple times) so no problem there. The issue comes in when two officials say that Marion has the ball since they caught it and came up with it, and one says he saw a Jonesboro player down with it in his possession. Obviously, Marion is not gonna like that call or how they came to it when Marion had the ball. Probably best to be chalked up as a call that went Jonesboro's way.

ricepig

Quote from: RushingRed14 on November 04, 2016, 12:37:13 pm
Our newspaper has clarified the events of that onside kickoff. The flag was for illegal touching. That was waved off (like has happened before multiple times) so no problem there. The issue comes in when two officials say that Marion has the ball since they caught it and came up with it, and one says he saw a Jonesboro player down with it in his possession. Obviously, Marion is not gonna like that call or how they came to it when Marion had the ball. Probably best to be chalked up as a call that went Jonesboro's way.

Umm, why was the illegal touching waved off? The flag was out before the ball had traveled 10 yards, or really quick by the sideline official in front of the action. I actually thought a Jonesboro player had caught the ball in the first place. Oh well, we would have just scored again, lol. These weren't the best officials IMO, but about par for a 6A football game. They missed a few calls for sure, and were flag happy for sure.

ricepig

A couple of questions, or comments from last night. Why wouldn't your coach go for two after your last TD, if successful, he would only need a FG if you got the ball back on your last onside attempt? It's not like you hadn't attempted several during the game, lol. Also, his TO usage, he wasted a lot of time before wasting one on your last drive.

Of course, I question us not running a QB sleek on the 2" line in the second qt, and why we handed the ball off on the last running play, you were out of TO's and couldn't stop the clock, and the only way to get the ball was with a fumble.....take a kneel down!

T-Bone

For sure the short kick can work and Marion proved that.  But that punt by field goal set up is messed up.  I don't understand why anyone would do that type of punt/kick if you had any form of punter.  Please explain how it helps Marion.  Why not punt?

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: T-Bone on November 04, 2016, 10:00:52 pm
For sure the short kick can work and Marion proved that.  But that punt by field goal set up is messed up.  I don't understand why anyone would do that type of punt/kick if you had any form of punter.  Please explain how it helps Marion.  Why not punt?

What's the point of a punt? To kick the ball as far as you can from the line of scrimmage. The high school rule allows you miss a field goal without the ball returning to the original line of scrimmage. This is relatively new to the Delta region, but Marion's coach is from the Central Arkansas area where Dardanelle has done this forever. Marion's kicker is simply able to get more distance out of the FG formation than the punt formation. His distance allows Marion to kick it out of bounds and eliminate a return which gets rid of out-kicking his punt coverage that this formation can create. For all intents and purposes, it's a punt. It's also nice for creating conversation in online forums where everyone thinks their way is the best way. Lol

T-Bone

Quote from: RushingRed14 on November 06, 2016, 04:21:43 pm
What's the point of a punt? To kick the ball as far as you can from the line of scrimmage. The high school rule allows you miss a field goal without the ball returning to the original line of scrimmage. This is relatively new to the Delta region, but Marion's coach is from the Central Arkansas area where Dardanelle has done this forever. Marion's kicker is simply able to get more distance out of the FG formation than the punt formation. His distance allows Marion to kick it out of bounds and eliminate a return which gets rid of out-kicking his punt coverage that this formation can create. For all intents and purposes, it's a punt. It's also nice for creating conversation in online forums where everyone thinks their way is the best way. Lol

Hey if it works use it.  I had never seen it.  Wonder if keeping the ball low increases the chance of a block?  Not making fun of it and I am not a coach.  I just didn't see an advantage.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on November 06, 2016, 05:10:30 pm
Hey if it works use it.  I had never seen it.  Wonder if keeping the ball low increases the chance of a block?  Not making fun of it and I am not a coach.  I just didn't see an advantage.

I believe it's a free ball if it's blocked and crosses the LOS? And doesn't make the end zone?

Gomer_Pyle_It_On

Quote from: T-Bone on November 06, 2016, 05:10:30 pm

You have by far been the most cordial inquiry. Lol it just got old explaining it over the course of the season over and over.

pine-ryder

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas