• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BV and BVW both hosting first round playoff game

Started by Rob Van Winkle, October 31, 2016, 01:21:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Then you also eliminate Thursday as a practice day. 

Razorback Red

Quote from: ricepig on November 03, 2016, 06:32:02 pm
And the students who wish to go? It's not there "home" field, it's being borrowed, lol.

We are talking about 7A schools, Cabot or Conway to be specific.  Both schools have all the resources they need to send as many busses of students to Bentonville that wish to attend.  Either school will be a heavy road favorite against West, I'm guessing us fans are making way more of this than the Coaches or SA's. 

As for Tiger Stadium, it is home field for West until their stadium is complete.  They've played all home games on that field and have earned the right to play a playoff game there. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 03, 2016, 06:28:19 pm
I respect both of your opinions, but I don't see how it's punishing or handicapping either team.  I agree it's not ideal, but both teams will be there and be ready to play.  Parents will leave work early or do what they have to do to see the game. 

I personally wish there was a better option, but almost certain this is the way the AAA will go.
Yes, that's what it boils down to.

Razorback Red

Quote from: B.G. on November 03, 2016, 06:38:23 pm
Then you also eliminate Thursday as a practice day.

Same for both teams. 

Again, I don't like it, but the AAA is trying to make the best of the situation.  They would take much more heat putting this game up against a Razorback game. 

Brian G

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 03, 2016, 06:43:31 pm
Same for both teams. 

Again, I don't like it, but the AAA is trying to make the best of the situation.  They would take much more heat putting this game up against a Razorback game. 
No it's not.

BWHS can pretty much have an early morning or even afternoon bit of work.  It's a travel day for the opponent.  It's not a normal procedure.  The opponent loses a full day which is different than a Friday routine.

Razorback Red

Both teams lose a normal day any way you slice it.  They both play tomorrow and then both play next Thurs.  Zero advantage to either. 

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

Brian G

Obviously there is some advantage to being home team or you wouldn't want it so badly.  The difference here is magnified because you are breaking a full routine for a travel team.

Razorback Red

Quote from: B.G. on November 03, 2016, 07:04:46 pm
Obviously there is some advantage to being home team or you wouldn't want it so badly.  The difference here is magnified because you are breaking a full routine for a travel team.

I'm not a West fan, so I have no dog in the fight.  Guess I just see it as the West SA's earned it, so they should be rewarded with a game in Bentonville.  Same for every other team that earned a home playoff game.  If Fri and Sat are neither one options for AAA, then that only leaves Thurs. 

Brian G

Razorback Red

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but if Cabot ends up traveling to West and winning next Thurs, then they get an extra day to prepare for the 2nd round, which I'm sure they will take full advantage of. 

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 03, 2016, 07:29:38 pm
I think someone mentioned it earlier, but if Cabot ends up traveling to West and winning next Thurs, then they get an extra day to prepare for the 2nd round, which I'm sure they will take full advantage of.

Doubtful, if they return after the game, it will be 2am or later, and then there's that school thingy.....

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 03, 2016, 05:53:09 pm
Correct.  I had a conversation on Twitter today with Henry Apple and he said the AAA has said that a double-header on Fri was out and Sat was out due to Hog game.  That really only leaves the one option of Thurs night. 

Not ideal, but only right to allow West a home game and Tiger Stadium is their home this year.  The kids earned it and should be rewarded for that success. 

In bigger states, there are playoff games on Thurs, Fri and Sat almost every week, so this is not out of the ordinary.  Several 6A schools in TX share stadiums.
So the AAA should put in the bylaws that if two teams sharing a stadium both make the playoffs the top seed plays Friday, the lower seed plays Saturday, unless there is a Razorback football game?

Rob Van Winkle

Bentonville West hosted the junior high conference championship last night. They only have bleachers on one side but it was better than I anticipated. They also have a track around the field so there is plenty of room to bring in portable stands and put them on the visitors side.

fatfamily

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 04, 2016, 09:03:54 am
So the AAA should put in the bylaws that if two teams sharing a stadium both make the playoffs the top seed plays Friday, the lower seed plays Saturday, unless there is a Razorback football game?

Obviously to AAA, tailgating for the Razorbacks is way more important than students attending school on Friday.

My question to AAA is, "Will they request, require that the traveling school waive absences for the STUDENT athletes and fans attending at Thursday night game?" The physicalness of the game added to not getting back into town until 2 am or so will take a huge toll on their bodies.

Now personally, scheduling the game on a Thursday is great for me... I go watch my son play Thursday, was already off work Friday, and deer hunting on Saturday............ but this isn't about me.

TigerHawg

Quote from: fatfamily on November 04, 2016, 11:19:57 am
Obviously to AAA, tailgating for the Razorbacks is way more important than students attending school on Friday.

My question to AAA is, "Will they request, require that the traveling school waive absences for the STUDENT athletes and fans attending at Thursday night game?" The physicalness of the game added to not getting back into town until 2 am or so will take a huge toll on their bodies.

Now personally, scheduling the game on a Thursday is great for me... I go watch my son play Thursday, was already off work Friday, and deer hunting on Saturday............ but this isn't about me.

That has been the issue for me. Education should trump sports. And I say this as one who played many years and who LOVES football! Still I worry about the message it sends. I would prefer they rent stands and get to play a true home game. I know they could raise the funds with little effort.

Cabotfan

I think Panther Stadium is available Friday night!?!   8)

fatfamily

I was just advised by a representative of AAA that (pending tonight's game results) both schools administrations have agreed to play on Thursday. I was informed that the decision was made because State starts for both Cross Country and Dance on that Saturday the 12th and both schools have multiple sport athletes.

It will also be up to the school to decide to excuse any absences.

I'm still not 100% convinced that there isn't a hot dog or hamburger cookin party involved in this somehow.

7AFBFAN

Both schools? There are games tonight to decide the opponent.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on November 04, 2016, 02:31:32 pm
[/quote
Unless Cabot can beat NLR it will be Cabot and I just don't see that happening.

fatfamily

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on November 04, 2016, 02:31:32 pm

That's why I said (pending tonight's game results)

Grizzlyfan

Okieback

Didn't read the post at all

But I would say they flip for who is sat and who is friday

tmycjy

The Rule book state that home team stadium get first the best spot if u share a stadium then other team plays the day before or after if u are share a stadium the higher levels get top choice ex: collage levels get top choice so any high school who share stadium with them must play before there game like on a Thursday if you are share a stadium with a high school higher class get best spot then lower class get next spot ex: bentonville being the home stadium they get Friday game bentonville west just useing it get another day so it's Thursday

bbishop

NLR made the drive to springdale for the scrimmage this year.  It was a Thursday night game.  Our students who were not on the bus that had a flat tire on the way home; were in class at 8:20am.  The ones on the bus that had a flat were not required to be at school until 3rd or 4th period. (they got home at something like 2am.)  I would think that Cabot would do something like that for the students, excuse half a day.  I don't have to be at the school till 5th period (NLRHS) and am thinking of driving up for the game.

businesstron

I don't think they are at a disadvantage.   Welcome to the world.  Still looking at Texas football Thursday and Saturday games are normal.   Especially in playoffs, after the first couple of weeks they only play on Saturday. 

Also I know I haven't played in a while but Thursday is usually a walkthrough day.  Not really a practice.  Monday and Tuesday are usually the full pads practice days while Wednesday might be a little shorter with shirts and shoulder pads.   This could've all changed but they'll be alright playing on Thursday.   The biggest impact is people in Cabot might not be able to make the trip because it's Thursday but that life.    When I went to Cabot it looked like a nice place.  Those parents shouldn't have problems finding a way to make the trip. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: tmycjy on November 08, 2016, 07:08:56 pm
The Rule book state that home team stadium get first the best spot if u share a stadium then other team plays the day before or after if u are share a stadium the higher levels get top choice ex: collage levels get top choice so any high school who share stadium with them must play before there game like on a Thursday if you are share a stadium with a high school higher class get best spot then lower class get next spot ex: bentonville being the home stadium they get Friday game bentonville west just useing it get another day so it's Thursday
I need a drink

beach bum

I am hoping this first year with Bentonville West is a sign for the future with the talent in Bentonville split semi decently among the two schools unlike what we see down in Springdale with Harber being dominant over Springdale. It would be interesting to see a yearly rivalry with these 2 schools battling for one of the top 4 spots in the 7A West on a yearly basis maybe in 2 years from now. I think that would be good for the 7A West overall.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas