• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foward progression question

Started by Gray lizard, October 07, 2016, 08:42:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

I have notice a change over the past couple of years.  It seems that when forward progression is stopped The refs are slow to blow the play dead.  This allows the other players to strip the ball from the running back.  I have already seen this 4 or 5 times this year.  On all of those play I felt the play should have been blown dead as the forward progression was clearly stopped.

Last night in the Pottsville Waldron game the running back was stopped on the 1 yard line.  All the players were in a big wad.  The running back was stood up and stopped.  A Waldron player came running out of the pile with the ball and went 99 yards for the TD.

My question is what is the rule on when to blow the play dead on forward progression?

Rulesman

When forward progress is stopped with the ball in the runner's possession the ball becomes dead. However, officials must be sure both of the above elements are present. The last thing you want is a whistle with the ball loose or a whistle at the same time the runner breaks loose for additional yardage. There's a fine line between whistle/no whistle.

Jimbo Morphis

it's natural for fans to want the whistle blown quicker when it's their running back.

Gray lizard

I assume so.  Several have gone to the team I was for and still felt the same.

OB11

To me this is more of a safety issue...if I'm a coach, I don't want my player to get held up for 3 to 4 seconds with no progress and a defender comes in full throttle and hit him while he's being held up by another player.   

AlumniLights

Get your pads lower and run with a purpose and you wont have to worry about getting stood up...just sayin.  8)  Old school football.

OLDSCHOOL82

Its vague and every crew/individual ref will call it a bit different. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas