• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching

Started by Treason756, July 13, 2016, 07:42:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Treason756

I've always loved football and just recently thought it would be cool to be a coach. Unfortunately I never did play the sport in high school. How hard would it be to become one without ever playing the sport. Any advice as well would be helpful.

Beardad

It would be real hard.  Getting into coaching, like anything else is about who you know.  Some coaches don't want to hire you unless you have some sort of college experience, whether it be playing or some sort of student asst or GA.  That being said, without that many fall back on their former high school coaches to help get them that first job.

That being said, it is not impossible.  There are some great coaches who never even played peewee.

2aball

The best route is to go to a small school as an assistant. Maybe take a job as a coach of another sport. Coaches at smaller schools usually all end up as an assistant football coach as well since they don't have the resources to hire a lot of guys as just football coaches. I know a lot of guys that have worked their way into football coaching through this route. Some of the best coaches I know didn't actually play football. I think this caused them to work harder to learn the game through studying, reading, researching.

Treason756

I would have to go to college to do this right? What would I major in?

Longfellow

Depends what you want to teach. I am majoring in Health and Physical Education

20Baseball

It is extremely difficult to get a position doing pe/health only i had to go ahead and get certified to teach math as well before i got my first teaching position.

Longfellow

Yep. I'm also gonna get my certification for English

sickwillie

But you don't have to obtain a degree to get certified. you can test into being licensed in certain areas. For instance, most schools will allow you to teach while you're getting certified in that area.

And most coaches I know in Arkansas never played a lick of collegiate sports.

Good luck

nuttinbuthogs

Don't you have to have a degree in something?  I think you are talking NTL?  Anyway you can learn anything if you want to bad enough, I believe that's how brain and heart surgeons do it.

Longfellow

My degree will be in Health and Physical Education, but I can get certified in English if I pass the Praxis II, which is the core knowledge test. I won't have an English degree, but I will be able to teach it

OB11

Quote from: Longfellow on August 30, 2016, 04:29:20 pm
My degree will be in Health and Physical Education, but I can get certified in English if I pass the Praxis II, which is the core knowledge test. I won't have an English degree, but I will be able to teach it

Yep, that's the way a lot of PE majors do it, myself included.  Had PE & Health when I graduated and tested into English, and Business Technology.  Testing into those other areas was the only way I found a job. 

sickwillie

Quote from: OB11 on August 30, 2016, 10:11:16 pm
Yep, that's the way a lot of PE majors do it, myself included.  Had PE & Health when I graduated and tested into English, and Business Technology.  Testing into those other areas was the only way I found a job.

That is what I am doing too. The more certifications the better OB, right? I believe itll be much easier to find a job that way

OB11

Quote from: sickwillie on August 31, 2016, 11:08:24 am
That is what I am doing too. The more certifications the better OB, right? I believe itll be much easier to find a job that way

Absolutely.  The more marketable you can make yourself the better.  Even if it's a subject you may not really be interested in...teach it for a year or so until the job you do want opens up.  The experience will be invaluable.  Like I said, if I hadn't gotten certified in other areas, I probably wouldn't have found a job my first year out of college.  That first job set me up for where I am now. 

sevenof400

Let me offer this - if you want a job - and can teach science or math - you'll have a much better chance of getting hired.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Longfellow on July 15, 2016, 03:23:00 pm
Yep. I'm also gonna get my certification for English

Might need to brush up on your grammar before you take the certification examination.  ;)

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on August 30, 2016, 04:23:36 pm
Don't you have to have a degree in something?  I think you are talking NTL?  Anyway you can learn anything if you want to bad enough, I believe that's how brain and heart surgeons do it.

Yes, you have to have a degree.  I think he meant you don't have to have a degree in (fill in the subject area) to teach it; you can test out.

nuttinbuthogs

you need a degree in something, then you can take the test to get licensed in a subject other than what ever your degree is in. 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Sevenof400 is dead on. Teaching math, science, special Ed, or being fluent in Spanish (not necessarily as a Spanish teacher) may be your best ticket to get a job right now. The SpEd route would be tough to coach with as the paperwork and legal ramifications involved would not be easy with a coaches schedule.

As for the advice for starting out, beggers can't be choosers, but the larger the school you can get involved with, the more connections you can make and as people leave you can be promoted if you are doing a good job. Also, it's easier to hire an assistant that has been at Fayetteville vs an assistant from Decatur. Regardless of what school you are at, networking is key. Go to clinics and spend time talking to other coaches about their program or their scheme. I like to ask coaches what are the best 3 things about their program to get them to open up. You will pick up some good stuff, too. Also, go visit schools in the spring that are doing things well and spend some time one on one. You'll learn a lot more than a 50 minute talk from a clinic and it's more networking.

Also, just as math is probably the best subject to teach to get a job, coaching OL is the probaby the most in demand positions...if you're good!

Lastly, spend time learning...go work college camps, go visit college staffs, watch coaching presentations on YouTube.  Become an expert at your position and your offense/defense.

sevenof400

I'm just happy I saw the word on in Coach DePriest's post..... 

Seriously though, here is another suggestion - become as tech savvy as you can.  It will help you in the classroom for sure but also (and this is no shot at Coach DePriest!) in coaching as there are still a considerable number of coaches who could use help technology wise.  If you do this, you're just adding another asset to what you can offer as a candidate.   

nuttinbuthogs

There are supposedly lots of jobs in lots of schools. Problem is schools holding on to payroll and trying not to hire.  Instead trying to stretch their staff and that means coaches who do PE are not in high demand.

OB11

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on September 08, 2016, 03:24:18 pm
There are supposedly lots of jobs in lots of schools. Problem is schools holding on to payroll and trying not to hire.  Instead trying to stretch their staff and that means coaches who do PE are not in high demand.

There was an article in the Jonesboro Sun yesterday about Valley View offering teachers the option to voluntarily give up their planning period every day and teach another class.  This would save the district money by not having to hire additional staff.  If the teachers signed the agreement to give up their prep they would be compensated for the extra hours, but the total dollar amount spent by the district would still be less than hiring new teachers.  Perfect example of your post nuttinbuthogs.

nuttinbuthogs

That is becoming more common I think.  They have to pay the teacher the amount of their daily rate of pay divided by the number of class periods in a day.  Good for a teacher who needs the money but it does put more work on the teacher with less time to do it.  Maybe if schools had less bosses and fewer instructional facilitators, who don't teach classes, they'd have the money to hire teaching staff.

sevenof400

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on September 10, 2016, 06:53:27 pm...Maybe if schools had less bosses and fewer instructional facilitators, who don't teach classes, they'd have the money to hire teaching staff.

Administration is the first place that needs to be reduced.  Far too many people in administration pulling down $100K (or more), driving school provided vehicles contribute nothing toward the delivery of education.  In fact, I'd like to see a school district outsource its administration because it would be one incredible cost savings mechanism. 

Cronyism will prevent that from every occurring though.

nuttinbuthogs

From talking to friends in the school business it seems a lot of those administrators are not on campus a lot of the time.

sevenof400

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on September 10, 2016, 06:59:07 pm
From talking to friends in the school business it seems a lot of those administrators are not on campus a lot of the time.

Or in their offices - far away from classrooms.

nuttinbuthogs

Hard to be the educational leader if you are not around.   I'd love to see the travel budgets for schools these days.

sevenof400

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on September 10, 2016, 07:04:24 pm
Hard to be the educational leader if you are not around.   I'd love to see the travel budgets for schools these days.

Don't stop there. 

Look at all of the budgets (all departments) and you'll be appalled at the waste. 

nuttinbuthogs

Schools are going the way of the government.  Spend the peoples money and get little in return. 

esgibson00

I'm sure most of the football coaching positions are locked in now that the season has started, but when do openings for next year start popping up? I'm certified in Special Education and have coached high school for 4 years and professionally for one year. Just interested in when to start looking for positions in Arkansas.

Okieback

Quote from: OB11 on August 30, 2016, 10:11:16 pm

What's business technology? Is that like business management?

OB11

Keyboarding, Computer Business Applications those types of classes.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas