• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Rio Olympics

Started by beach bum, July 09, 2016, 08:04:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

I just watched Bernard Lagat earlier qualify for the United States in the 5,000 meters in track at the age of 41 years old which is flat out unbelievable by winning at the U.S. Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon in that event. He has always been an inspiration to me since I love running so much. It may be a speck early to start this discussion, but this thread can be the one stop posting for anything Olympics related....

beach bum

This can be for ALL SPORTS or events in the Olympics ranging from basketball, track, swimming, gymnastics, and any sport you may love to see every four years. And let's root for the United States loud and proud. It always brings a smile to my face seeing the athletes compete for our great nation and bring the medals home.

Lionheart88

When are opening ceremonies?

WPWells

August 5

I have a spreadsheet that I'm working on. If anyone knows any good file-sharing services, let me know, and I'll host it there and give anyone who wants it access. I'd also be happy to email it to people. I've been working on it with another girl, and there's still a lot of work to do before August 3rd (when the Games actually start with women's soccer pool play!)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Fred Bird on July 09, 2016, 08:57:47 pm
August 5

I have a spreadsheet that I'm working on. If anyone knows any good file-sharing services, let me know, and I'll host it there and give anyone who wants it access. I'd also be happy to email it to people. I've been working on it with another girl, and there's still a lot of work to do before August 3rd (when the Games actually start with women's soccer pool play!)

Google sheets let's you share spreadsheets, I think

RATTLER43

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorback-olympic-trials-headquarters/

Razorbacks and former Razorbacks galore!  Especially happy to see Braddy. 

WPWells

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 09, 2016, 09:33:29 pm
Google sheets let's you share spreadsheets, I think

Yes but you have to use google spreadsheets which is crap compared to Excel. My friend and I tried using Dropbox

AirWarren

USA. USA. USA!

Michael Tinsley, little rock native and Pulaski Robinson grad, qualified earlier this evening.

WPWells

Sandi Morris and Lexi Weeks, two Arkansas pole vaulters, both qualify! Lexi Weeks is a sophomore (next year) out of Cabot!

AirWarren

Man, women's gymnastics. Is the most dramatic, nerve racking sport in the Olympic world. Very impressive. If you are any kind of athlete, you can appreciate the athleticism that those young ladies have.

Longfellow

Women's gymnastics is one of the most entertaining sports in the Olympics. I'm excited to see what our team does this year

AirWarren

Aside from the returning gold medal winners, this team has a completely new look. Apparently they are highly favored to win gold too.

Lionheart88

Men's gymnastics is pretty impressive too.  Those dudes are ripped.

Longfellow

Men's gymnastics and women's tennis are the only Olympic sports I don't watch. Pommel horse is a pretty cool event though

AirWarren

Big fan of swimming. I love watching it.

WPWells

I will literally watch any Olympic sport

AirWarren

Quote from: Fred Bird on July 11, 2016, 09:15:05 am
I will literally watch any Olympic sport

It's competition. So yeah, I feel the same way. And it's our Americans competing. Which is even better.

BrianfromCarlisle

The athleticism is outstanding. I just have a hard time watching sports where the outcome is totally subjective. If the French judge woke up in a mood, your score may be low that day.
I would rather watch the events that everyone knows who won

beach bum

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on July 11, 2016, 09:56:47 am
The athleticism is outstanding. I just have a hard time watching sports where the outcome is totally subjective. If the French judge woke up in a mood, your score may be low that day.
I would rather watch the events that everyone knows who won

I agree with the subjective sports. That is always a delicate balance. A lot of the time it is obvious who was the best. But, then there is always that one time every Olympics that seems to happen where there is some controversy. It will certainly happen again this time.

beach bum

I am glad to see Rattler43 already post here and I hope Almatrackster joins us in this thread. Those guys are bottomless pits of knowledge for track and field. Also, I believe we all will obviously be rooting for the young lady from Cabot in the pole vault. What an honor for her!

Longfellow

As the opening ceremony gets closer, the more stories we get about how bad the conditions are in Rio. There have been some wild news stories from Rio in the last few months

Longfellow

Latest report is that the Olympic village is uninhabitable at this point. IOC cites leaking pipes, blocked toilets, and non-working air conditioner

BrianfromCarlisle

Unbelievable.  Hope everyone responsible for given rio the olympics in the first place is fired

RATTLER43

SI has their predictions out.  Got some Hogs and Arkansas athletes.  No spoilers here. Go check it out. 

Longfellow

Australia will boycott the athletes village. Water in the sailing venues filled with sewage. Zika. Terrorist plots. A sniper shooting at cars on the highway into the stadium. Bacteria infested waters. A mutilated body washed up yards from the volleyball venue. Bomani Jones did a story about a slum a mile from the stadium called "Crack land". This is shaping up to be disaster. Almost anywhere would've been a better choice

RATTLER43

Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omar McCleod is picked to win 110m hurdles.
Michael Tinsley from Little Rock is picked silver in 400m hurdles.
Jarrion Lawson long jump is picked bronze.
Tyson Gay for 4x100m relay picked silver.
Veronica Campbell is picked to medal in 200m and in sprint relay.
I might have missed some from Arkansas but these are the ones that caught my eye. 

WPS!!!!

RATTLER43

...Taylor Ellis-Watson picked gold in 4x400m (mile) relay!

beach bum

Tyson Gay just keeps hanging in there and running at a high level...

RATTLER43

Yes;  I enjoy watching him compete.  Does a lot with less than some of the others "built" for it.   Hope he has a great Olympics this summer. Might be his last ride.

WPWells

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 26, 2016, 10:50:25 am
Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omar McCleod is picked to win 110m hurdles.
Michael Tinsley from Little Rock is picked silver in 400m hurdles.
Jarrion Lawson long jump is picked bronze.
Tyson Gay for 4x100m relay picked silver.
Veronica Campbell is picked to medal in 200m and in sprint relay.
I might have missed some from Arkansas but these are the ones that caught my eye. 

WPS!!!!

Idk where these predictions come from, but Sandi Morris has the top pole vault in the world this year

RATTLER43

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 24, 2016, 09:33:22 pm
SI has their predictions out.  Got some Hogs and Arkansas athletes.  No spoilers here. Go check it out. 

They are from SI.  I must have overlooked her.

WPWells

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 26, 2016, 09:54:53 pm
They are from SI.  I must have overlooked her.

Missed that earlier. Thanks

And she recorded that vault this weekend, so I wouldn't necessarily expect her to show up in those predictions

RATTLER43

Understood.   Would love to see US go 1-2-3

RATTLER43

They have Suhr picked silver but no Morris.

RATTLER43

Longfellow

Rooms of the Australian athletes robbed during fire drill yesterday at the Olympic village

AT

Oh the Olympics. My favorite sporting event...being ruined by disease, terrible infrastructure, and crime. I'll try to keep any more negativities out of this thread.

Men's 100
Justin Gatlin
Trayvon Bromell
Marvin Bracy

Thoughts:

Justin Gatlin is a tough guy to root for after being temporarily banned for PEDs. At the age of 34, he is probably in his last Olympics but he does have the fastest time in the world entering the Olympics. But Usain Bolt has always beaten him when it matters. Gatlin wants gold and silver is even a disappointment in his mind. Bronze is only a slight victory for him.

Bromell has the 2nd fastest time in the world and is just 20 years old. He got bronze at last years T&F championships in this event. Bromell could definitely grab a medal and should make the final for sure.

Bracy is a 22 year old who sort of nabbed this spot surprisingly in a strong sprint US trials. He has the 10th fastest time in the world. I think the former Florida State runner will have a chance at the finals but it will be tough.

AT

Women's 100 meter dash
English Gardner
Tianna Bartoletta
Tori Bowie

Thoughts:

Gardner has had an up and down career on the national stage. She got 4th in the 100 in 2013 at the T&F championships. Last year, she did not even make the final. This year, English has the 2nd best time in the world. Look for English to medal with a definite chance at gold.

The 30 year old Bartoletta isn't just a sprinter. She won gold in the long jump at last year's T&F championships. She qualified in the long jump this year, too. Tianna is tied for the 3rd best time in the world. She should make the final and will have to battle for a medal, but she has a chance.

The 25 year old Bowie went from long jumping to sprinting and has made the transition well. She got bronze last year and had the fastest time in the world the year before that. This year, Tori is tied with Tianna for the 3rd best time in the world. Just like Bartoletta, she should make the final and will battle for a medal.

Brian G

Somehow, I find it easy to cheer for Gatlin.

On a side note, I'm paranoid as heck about this entire OLY in Rio.

WPWells

Is there a way to link a spreadsheet on here?

Brian G

Hit reply and under the big white box is an attachment option.  It might be just be for Mods, but check and see.

BrianfromCarlisle

I'm extremely worried that something bad is going to happen. I've never wanted to be totally wrong so badly in my life

Brian G

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on August 01, 2016, 07:28:50 pm
I'm extremely worried that something bad is going to happen. I've never wanted to be totally wrong so badly in my life
You just can't help but feel that potential is very real.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: B.G. on August 01, 2016, 07:22:57 pm
Hit reply and under the big white box is an attachment option.  It might be just be for Mods, but check and see.

believe it's for admins, I've asked before. ...

Brian G

WPWells

Quote from: B.G. on August 01, 2016, 07:58:17 pm
Yeah, I thought so.

Yeah, there's nothing there. I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet with anyone though!

Brian G

What is it exactly?  Is it something you're wanting to update a lot or just a one time deal?

Longfellow

Quote from: B.G. on August 01, 2016, 07:31:03 pm
You just can't help but feel that potential is very real.
It's like what Bomani Jones said today. Expect the worst and hope for anything else. It's not looking too good at the moment, though

Brian G

Quote from: Longfellow on August 01, 2016, 09:02:02 pm
It's like what Bomani Jones said today. Expect the worst and hope for anything else. It's not looking too good at the moment, though
Obv, safety is primary but in a way you have to think performances will suffer if they get there and experience "discomfort".  It'd be hard to focus not matter what they pretend.

WPWells

Quote from: B.G. on August 01, 2016, 09:01:07 pm
What is it exactly?  Is it something you're wanting to update a lot or just a one time deal?

Yeah I was planning on updating it throughout the Games. I'll try to find a place to host it online and then post the link. It's a US-centric reference spreadsheet

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas