• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball all state

Started by baseballrocks7, May 25, 2016, 07:21:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baseballrocks7

Can some one tell me the process of picking the boys for the all state award? I'm wondering who picks them and who nominates them?

ricepig

Quote from: baseballrocks7 on May 25, 2016, 07:21:36 am
Can some one tell me the process of picking the boys for the all state award? I'm wondering who picks them and who nominates them?

It varies by conference, call your coach and have it explain it to you.

2aball

Quote from: baseballrocks7 on May 25, 2016, 07:21:36 am

As ricepig mentions, it varies from conference to conference in the way they actually pick it, but they are usually voted on by the coaches of that conference. Each conference has a certain number of selections that they get. The coaches nominate the players they feel are deserving and all the coaches from that conference vote on the nominees to determine which ones will represent their conference as the all-state selections.

Lionheart88

Quote from: 2aball on May 25, 2016, 06:10:39 pm
As ricepig mentions, it varies from conference to conference in the way they actually pick it, but they are usually voted on by the coaches of that conference. Each conference has a certain number of selections that they get. The coaches nominate the players they feel are deserving and all the coaches from that conference vote on the nominees to determine which ones will represent their conference as the all-state selections.
Well, maybe.  I get the impression that the "nomination and vote" is (sometimes, anyway)Coach A saying "My team gets two spots, right?  I want this guy and that guy."  And Coaches B through H shrugging and saying "Yeah, ok.  Fine by us."  I doubt there's many cases of coaches talking each other into changing their picks.  But then again, I'm not a baseball coach, and I've never been in the room when they were deciding, so I could be wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 26, 2016, 11:10:47 am
Well, maybe.  I get the impression that the "nomination and vote" is (sometimes, anyway)Coach A saying "My team gets two spots, right?  I want this guy and that guy."  And Coaches B through H shrugging and saying "Yeah, ok.  Fine by us."  I doubt there's many cases of coaches talking each other into changing their picks.  But then again, I'm not a baseball coach, and I've never been in the room when they were deciding, so I could be wrong.

If I only nominate "this guy and that guy", and I get two spots, then yeah, they'll make it.

2aball

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 26, 2016, 11:10:47 am

I might be confused about what you are saying. Each team usually nominates the players from their own team that they feel deserve consideration. Then everyone that was nominated is voted on to decide which ones actually make it.

Are you saying that coaches might leave players from their own team off? That's usually not the case. A coach can nominate as many of his players as he wants to be entered into the final voting. So there's really no reason for a coach to leave one of his own guys out, unless he feels that they aren't deserving of a spot. Some coaches might nominate 5 guys and others might not nominate any if they feel that nobody on their team was deserving of a selection.

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on May 26, 2016, 04:18:59 pm
I might be confused about what you are saying. Each team usually nominates the players from their own team that they feel deserve consideration. Then everyone that was nominated is voted on to decide which ones actually make it.

Are you saying that coaches might leave players from their own team off? That's usually not the case. A coach can nominate as many of his players as he wants to be entered into the final voting. So there's really no reason for a coach to leave one of his own guys out, unless he feels that they aren't deserving of a spot. Some coaches might nominate 5 guys and others might not nominate any if they feel that nobody on their team was deserving of a selection.

I think he's saying the the order of your finish dictates the number of All-State players you will get, thus the coach only nominates that amount. I seem to remember All-Conference actually being more along this line, but it's been several years since I was told the process for our classification.

BoxNOne

Everybody may do it different but I know of one instance last year where a team went 12-0 in conference but only got one all state player. The team that finished second with three or four losses got two. Coaches scratching each others back voting for each others players.

Lionheart88

Quote from: 2aball on May 26, 2016, 04:18:59 pm

I'm saying I think the "final voting" is sometimes just a rubberstamping of a coach's choices.  If a coach were to nominate a less deserving player, say do to small town politics, I doubt the other conference coaches are likely to say "Wait a minute Joe, what about the Smith kid?  He's better than Jones.  Why leave him out?"

If, say, the #1 seed get three players on the All State list, the #2 seed get two, and the #3 seed gets one, Why would the #3 coach nominate 2+ players and let the other coaches vote?  The #1 and #2 coaches aren't likely to give up their slots.  He'll nominate the kid he wants on the list, even if (I doubt this is the norm, but I'm sure it happens) it's because the nominee's dad is his Principle, or the Mayor, and so on, and the most deserving kid gets left out.

2aball

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 26, 2016, 05:30:57 pm
I'm saying I think the "final voting" is sometimes just a rubberstamping of a coach's choices.  If a coach were to nominate a less deserving player, say do to small town politics, I doubt the other conference coaches are likely to say "Wait a minute Joe, what about the Smith kid?  He's better than Jones.  Why leave him out?"

If, say, the #1 seed get three players on the All State list, the #2 seed get two, and the #3 seed gets one, Why would the #3 coach nominate 2+ players and let the other coaches vote?  The #1 and #2 coaches aren't likely to give up their slots.  He'll nominate the kid he wants on the list, even if (I doubt this is the norm, but I'm sure it happens) it's because the nominee's dad is his Principle, or the Mayor, and so on, and the most deserving kid gets left out.

Where you finish doesn't dictate how many nominations you get. That is for all-conference. In all-state voting you can nominate as many as you want. For example, in 2a, each conference gets 4 all-state selections. If the 4th place coach feels he has 3 players deserving of all-state he can nominate all 3. If the first place coach feels he only has two then he might only nominate two. Or he could nominate his whole team if he wanted. Once all the coaches are done nominating the players, they then take a final vote about which 4 will get the selection. Usually the process is they have a list of all the nominated players and rank them 1-however many there are. They then total up the rankings and take the top 4 ranking players from the vote.

You might have a couple coaches that are buddies and scratch each others back by voting for each others players, but it usually doesn't really change the outcome much since you have 8 coaches voting.

It's not a perfect system, but it's about as good as it can get. It's a lot better than letting some outside source pick them that hasn't seen the players play all year long. For the most part the coaches do a pretty good job of selecting the players that are deserving of the spot.

Lionheart88

Quote from: 2aball on May 26, 2016, 08:09:13 pm
Where you finish doesn't dictate how many nominations you get. That is for all-conference. In all-state voting you can nominate as many as you want. For example, in 2a, each conference gets 4 all-state selections. If the 4th place coach feels he has 3 players deserving of all-state he can nominate all 3. If the first place coach feels he only has two then he might only nominate two. Or he could nominate his whole team if he wanted. Once all the coaches are done nominating the players, they then take a final vote about which 4 will get the selection. Usually the process is they have a list of all the nominated players and rank them 1-however many there are. They then total up the rankings and take the top 4 ranking players from the vote.

You might have a couple coaches that are buddies and scratch each others back by voting for each others players, but it usually doesn't really change the outcome much since you have 8 coaches voting.

It's not a perfect system, but it's about as good as it can get. It's a lot better than letting some outside source pick them that hasn't seen the players play all year long. For the most part the coaches do a pretty good job of selecting the players that are deserving of the spot.
Didn't we say earlier it varies by conference?  You seem awfully certain everybody does it one way.

2aball

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 26, 2016, 08:31:12 pm
Didn't we say earlier it varies by conference?  You seem awfully certain everybody does it one way.

Didn't you see where I also said it varies from conference to conference? You seem to be awfully certain that they are intentionally leaving deserving kids off. If a kid didn't get it, they probably didn't deserve it. Most high school coaches aren't in the business of sabotaging kids all-state chances. 

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on May 26, 2016, 08:09:13 pm

It does, or did in 6A. A few years ago there was a basketball player signed to a D-I school that was going to be left off, a coach of a team with 2 selections left off one of his players in order for the player to make All-State.

RATTLER43

Is there a site or does anybody have the All State lists for past 5 years?  I looked on AAA and I could only find 2016.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas