• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Wrestling Thread

Started by VHSCoach2, January 29, 2016, 11:06:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

The current card for the Royal Rumble event on January 29th:

1. Royal Rumble Match
Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Big E, Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods, Chris Jericho, Braun Strowman, and Baron Corbin are confirmed participants.  Still 22 spots to fill.

2. WWE Universal Championship Match (w/Chris Jericho suspended in a shark cage above the ring)
Kevin Owens (c) vs. Roman Reigns

3. WWE Championship Match
AJ Styles vs. John Cena

4. WWE Raw Women's Championship Match
Charlotte Flair vs. Bayley

VHSCoach2

Went to Raw in North Little Rock last night.  The first decent Raw we've seen in a while, and it was in Arkansas of all places!

VHSCoach2

Excellent weekend of wrestling from the WWE.  NXT TakeOver: San Antonio, despite getting a late build up, was a solid show and there wasn't a bad match on the card.  Everyone brought their A-game.  The Royal Rumble event also delivered.  All of the matches were good (John Cena vs. AJ Styles was flat-out fantastic and the best match of the weekend).  I was hoping for a few more surprise entrants into the Royal Rumble Match, but it is what it is.  They, excuse the pun here, perfectly executed NXT's "Perfect Ten" Tye Dillinger as the number ten entrant, so that was pretty cool.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I loved wrestling when I was...8... ;D, then I sadly figured out it was fake. Ruined my world for a couple years...

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 31, 2017, 07:37:42 am
I loved wrestling when I was...8... ;D, then I sadly figured out it was fake. Ruined my world for a couple years...

'Fake' and 'scripted' have two entirely different meanings  ;D

VHSCoach2

The final card for Smackdown Live's Elimination Chamber event has been set, and it looks like a very entertaining show.

WWE Championship Elimination Chamber Match
John Cena (c) vs. AJ Styles vs. Baron Corbin vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz

Nikki Bella vs. Natalya

WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship Tag Team Turmoil Match
American Alpha (c) vs. Breezango vs. Heath Slater and Rhyno vs. The Ascension vs. The Usos vs. The Vaudevillains
(I am hoping The Revival gets called up from NXT for this match.)

WWE Smackdown Women's Championship Match
Alexa Bliss vs. Naomi

Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James

2-on-1 Handicap Match
Apollo Crews and Kalisto vs. Dolph Ziggler

Luke Harper vs. Randy Orton

VHSCoach2

Chavo Guerrero Sr. passed away today at age 68. He was diagnosed with liver cancer about 6 weeks ago.

VHSCoach2

Bray Wyatt is now the WWE Champion!

J.D.

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on February 13, 2017, 10:52:43 am
Bray Wyatt is now the WWE Champion!

It has been a long time coming. Tremendous booking, having him look super credible by pinning both Cena then AJ Styles.

Smackdown Live! has on fire with the Main Event scene.  Midcard is great as well with Corbin, Ambrose, Ziggler and The Miz.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: J.D. on February 14, 2017, 03:21:08 am
It has been a long time coming. Tremendous booking, having him look super credible by pinning both Cena then AJ Styles.

Smackdown Live! has on fire with the Main Event scene.  Midcard is great as well with Corbin, Ambrose, Ziggler and The Miz.

Hopefully Miz will get a chance to jump back into the main event scene before the year is over. I feel he is long overdue for another run with the world title. His Intercontinental title run in 2016 was the best work of his career next to his world title run in 2010-2011.

VHSCoach2

Former WWE women's wrestler Nicole Bass passed away this evening at age 52.

BigLion10

Hall of Famer George the animal Steele has passed away at 79

VHSCoach2

Ivan Koloff has also passed away. My goodness. Three in three days.

BigLion10

VHSCoach2

The card for WrestleMania 33 is beginning to take shape.

WWE Championship Match: Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton

WWE Universal Championship Match: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE United States Championship Match: Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens

WWE Raw Women's Championship Triple Threat Match: Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship Match: Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson vs. Enzo Amore and Big Cass OR Cesaro and Sheamus

WWE Smackdown Women's Championship Match: Alexa Bliss vs. any Smackdown Women's Superstar who is available

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal: Mojo Rawley and Apollo Crews are the only two confirmed participants thus far.

Other rumored matched include:

Mixed Tag Team Match: John Cena and Nikki Bella vs. The Miz and Maryse

WWE Intercontinental Championship Street Fight: Dean Ambrose vs. Baron Corbin

WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match: Neville vs. Austin Aries

AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon

VHSCoach2

WrestleMania 33 is just 11 days away. 

Here is the updated Hall of Fame list for the Class of 2017:
Kurt Angle (to be inducted by John Cena)
The Rock 'n Roll Express (to be inducted by Jim Cornette)
Theodore Long (to be inducted by Ron Simmons and John Bradshaw Layfield)
Diamond Dallas Page (to be inducted by Eric Bischoff)
Beth Phoenix
Rick Rude (to be inducted by Ricky Steamboat)
Eric LeGrand (Warrior Award Recipient; to be inducted by Dana Warrior)

Here is the updated match card for NXT TakeOver: Orlando:
NXT Championship Match: Bobby Roode (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
NXT Women's Championship Match: Asuka (c) vs. Ember Moon
NXT Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Elimination Match: The Authors of Pain (c) vs. #DIY vs. The Revival

Here is the updated match card for WrestleMania 33:
WWE Championship Match: Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Randy Orton
WWE Universal Championship Match: Goldberg (c) vs. Brock Lesnar
Singles Match: The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns
WWE United States Championship Match: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Kevin Owens
Mixed Tag Team Match: John Cena and Nikki Bella vs. The Miz and Maryse
WWE Raw Women's Championship Fatal Four-Way Match: Bayley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax
WWE Smackdown Women's Championship Match: Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Carmella vs. Natalya vs. Mickie James vs. Becky Lynch vs. others TBA
WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match: Neville (c) vs. Austin Aries
WWE Raw Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Match: Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson (c) vs. Enzo Amore and Big Cass vs. Cesaro and Sheamus
Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal: Mojo Rawley, Apollo Crews, The Big Show, Curt Hawkins, and others TBA
Singles Match: Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles
WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Baron Corbin

VHSCoach2

The final card for WrestleMania 33 this Sunday is set:

Preshow Match - Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal:
Mojo Rawley, Apollo Crews, The Big Show, Curt Hawkins, Braun Strowman, Goldust, R-Truth, Primo, Epico, Curtis Axel, Bo Dallas, Jinder Mahal, Sami Zayn, Fandango, Tyler Breeze, Dolph Ziggler, Rhyno, Heath Slater, Jason Jordan, Chad Gable, Jey Uso, Jimmy Uso, Mark Henry, Sin Cara, Titus O'Neil, Konnor, Viktor, Kalisto, Aiden English, and Simon Gotch

Preshow Match - WWE Smackdown Women's Championship Six-Pack Challenge Match:
Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Becky Lynch vs. Natalya vs. Mickie James vs. Carmella vs. Naomi

Preshow Match - WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match:
Neville (c) vs. Austin Aries

Now for the actual show...

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Ladder Match:
Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson (c) vs. Enzo Amore and Big Cass vs. Cesaro and Sheamus

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match:
Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Baron Corbin

WWE United States Championship Match:
Chris Jericho (c) vs. Kevin Owens

WWE Raw Women's Championship Fatal 4-Way Elimination Match:
Bayley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax

Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles

Non-sanctioned Match:
Seth Rollins vs. Triple H

Mixed Tag Team Match:
John Cena and Nikki Bella vs. The Miz and Maryse

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

WWE Universal Championship Match:
Goldberg (c) vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE Championship Match:
Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Randy Orton

VHSCoach2

The Undertaker called it a career last night.  He's been a part of my wrestling experience since childhood, so it will be weird to not see him anymore.

VHSCoach2

Former WWE Superstar Matt "Rosey" Anoa'i has passed away at age 47. He was the brother of current Superstar Roman Reigns.

Rosey was best known for his role in the tag team 3-Minute Warning, in which his former partner, Jamal, has also departed this Earth, as well as his role as tag team partner of The Hurricane.

bleudog

VHSCoach2

Jinder Mahal is now the WWE Champion.

A meteoric rise over the last six weeks to say the least.

jbtiger73

Money in the Bank was definitely hit and miss on many levels. Lana definitely looked lost and confused on occasions. While people are giving wwe grief about the women's money in the Bank match ending, I think it did just the job to generate extreme heat for her. Exactly what they were shooting for. And how in the heck did the Ascension sneak into the program. Lol. The tag team match ended as I expected. I was thinking more of a DQ. That program is gonna last up until summer slam. Jinder Mahal won as expected. Is it me, but I rather enjoy the Singh brothers getting tossed around. They'll definitely take a beating for ole Jindy. Which brings me to the men's ladder match. Which was one of the best in a very long time. Definitely wasn't expecting Corbin to win, but was very happy he did. It kinda makes you wonder why they put babyfaces in these matches. They're not going to generate much excitement with a cash in as a heel would. Maybe AJ Styles is probably one of the few faces that would do a sneak style cash in. Show grade: A-/ the mens ladder match, and the tag title match, made up for most of the grade. Everything else was probably a C

VHSCoach2

I was at the Money in the Bank event in St. Louis. The crowd was loud all night. Hopefully it came across like that on TV. I enjoyed pretty much the entire show. Some of the booking decisions were a bit weird, but you can't find a wrestling show today where everything is booked perfectly. In terms of enjoyment (this show was much better than Raw's Extreme Rules two weeks ago) here's how is rate the matches:

1) Men's Money in the Bank Ladder Match
2) The Usos vs. The New Day
3) Women's Money in the Bank Ladder Match
4) Jinder Mahal vs. Randy Orton
5) Breezango vs. The Ascension
6) The Hype Bros vs. The Colóns
7) Naomi vs. Lana

jbtiger73

On TV, it came off good. I was just ticked about the misuse of Naomi. Putting her against Lana. I would much rather for her not to compete. And interrupt Carmella during her backstage interview or vice versa. Lana definitely has much work to do. But her drive to do it is going to make her a good competitor in the future. But word from the dirt sheets are that they want to push her eventually. And the match at MITB was just to see how far along she is in her progress. Which I think they would have been better suited to do that on smackdown live instead of PPV. Also the sheets also said that it's because of her looks that they think that it will attract more men to pay attention to the women's division. Which is stupid as heck. Sounds like a Vince move ranther than a HHH or Road Dogg (lead writer of smackdown live) move. Me personally, I'm a butt man, and I love watching Naomi do her thing. But typical Vince though. Also, Baron Corbin isn't expected to cash in any time soon. In fact, there's talks that they may wait until either around Royal rumble or wrestle mania time to do it. They want to continue to develop him into a major championship type of performer. Fans love him, but management thinks he needs more polishing. Sorta like with Mahal. Except he has the Singh brothers flanking him to make him look like he's a supreme champ.

VHSCoach2

WWE just gave the women a 35-minute main event on Raw. Color me impressed! That might be the longest match on Raw, men or women, all year so far. It wasn't a bad match, either. Nia Jax held her own the entire time.

jbtiger73

That very much shocked me as well. I was definitely glad it happened. That may have been triple h proving to Vince that they can have a legit main event match. Because you know there were reports of HHH being upset with Vince over the length of the women's matches and the mis-use of the NXT talent after they make the main roster. Was great to see that, especially in a large market city like LA. Also, kinda figured that after Heyman kept pushing the fact that Joe attacked Brock from behind, I knew that, that would happen. Normally they walk to the ring together. So it was pretty much a dead giveaway. But was happy that it happened. Shows people how much the submission hold, once put on, can even put a beast like Lesnar down. Even though I would have loved for him to eventually pass out to the hold, to show how dangerous it could be. But all in all, pretty good show. Except for the Ball family crap. I know Dean was ticked when Lavar interrupted him. Just a trash segment.

BigLion10

I was kinda mad nia lost after holding her own like she did. I was hoping someone was gonna powerbomb lavar thru a table lol

jbtiger73

They're more than likely going to set up a feud between Banks and Jax for summer slam. Assuming that Banks wins at great balls of fire. They're preparing to have Jax go over on Banks.

VHSCoach2

Anybody checked out the new Netflix original series GLOW?  It's a comedy/drama series that focuses on the real-life wrestling promotion GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling).

I'm a couple episodes in. It's pretty good.

jbtiger73

I've only watched one. It was good. But it was kinda late when I turned it on. So I was dozing off on it. So I'm probably gonna re watch it.

BigLion10

Just announced Smackdown will be live from LR Tuesday August 29. Tickets go on sale next Friday

jbtiger73

Will definitely be in there. Should be good. A week after summer slam. Plus, smackdown is the best brand, wrestling wise anyway.

BigLion10

jbtiger73

Also will get to see 205 live as well. Do they do that before or after smackdown? I'm assuming they do it before. Because on the network, it comes on immediately. And with the rope and canvas changes, I'm pretty sure they do it before. Has anyone noticed that they have cut Neville's fireworks in his intro. Probably almost gave someone a heart attack. I know it catches me by surprise, and I'm watching it on TV. Lol. So I can imagine how people in the arena feel about it

VHSCoach2

The order they do things is this:

Preshow dark match
Smackdown Live
205 Live
Postshow dark match

If anyone wants the presale code to buy tickets a day early (so, next Thursday), it is MONEY.

jbtiger73

I normally always wait to get them close to the show. Not gonna procrastinate this time. Lol

bleudog

July 01, 2017, 05:40:38 pm #186 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:52:59 pm by bleudog
LIVE July 1 | 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm – "G1 Special in the USA Night 1"

http://www.axs.tv/programs/new-japan-pro-wrestling/

jbtiger73

So..... Who's watching slammiversary tonight???????????

VHSCoach2

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 02, 2017, 11:45:19 am
So..... Who's watching slammiversary tonight???????????

Negative. I'm using my spare time to chronologically watch WWF/E on the Network. Currently on WrestleMania IV.

BigLion10

I like watching the old WWF too coach

BigLion10

Anybody remember when No Mercy PPV was at Alltel in 2002? I remember Undertaker and Lesnar in the main event a heck in a Cell match for the undisputed title

VHSCoach2

I wish they'd give Little Rock another pay-per-view event.  I was at No Mercy 2002, and if I remember correctly it was far from a sell out. That may have something to do with us not getting another one, but with two PPVs a month we may get lucky down the road somewhere. We had Raw earlier in the year and we get Smackdown in August.

I would love if they'd bring the NXT crew here for a house show. They had a string of shows not too long ago that started in Kansas City, went to St. Louis, then skipped us and went to Southaven, Mississippi. So close, but yet so far.

jbtiger73

I've been watching both, WWE and WCW ppv's in order as well. And doing comparisons. I'll let you know what I come up with later. But I do remember the no mercy event in 02. It definitely was way far from a sellout. But we'll get one back here soon. Because they do look at attendance from raw and SmackDown live as a determining factor. As far as the NXT thing goes, they're looking for smaller venues than Verizon arena. Maybe somewhere like the small arena in Hot Springs or the PB convention center. That's the type of venue that they're shooting for for them.

BigLion10

Nothing sells out really in LR and that's really the reason we don't have anything big really come very often

VHSCoach2

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 03, 2017, 05:33:38 am
I've been watching both, WWE and WCW ppv's in order as well. And doing comparisons. I'll let you know what I come up with later. But I do remember the no mercy event in 02. It definitely was way far from a sellout. But we'll get one back here soon. Because they do look at attendance from raw and SmackDown live as a determining factor. As far as the NXT thing goes, they're looking for smaller venues than Verizon arena. Maybe somewhere like the small arena in Hot Springs or the PB convention center. That's the type of venue that they're shooting for for them.

I wonder if Barton Coliseum would be small enough for them to consider NXT? Or maybe the Convocation Center in Jonesboro. There's a Raw house show in Jonesboro on August 26th.

As for my chronological order, I'm watching everything WWF/E that involves live (at the time) matches. So, basically right now, late 80's was the big pay-per-views and the Saturday Night's Main Event specials. I'm currently on SummerSlam 1988 now.

BigLion10

I think Barton would be a great venue to have the NXT in

jbtiger73

It definitely could be as far as venue's go. Did anyone hear the anti wwe rant that Alberto El Patron/DelRio, said last night after slammiversary went off the air? Well, after his victory over Bobby Lashley for the title, he was quoted as saying that he respects Lashley and the proceeds to shake his hand. Then says that wwe is full of a bunch of losers. Also that guy's like him and Lashley are a couple of fighters and some bad butt m'fers. Not a sports entertainer. Then the crowd of course was chanting a bunch of anti wwe stuff as well. All while Jeff Jarrett and others were in the ring. Honestly, I love more wrestling and less talking. But if you have to constantly talk bad about wwe, that means that they're still in your head. Just move on to another company or other ventures in your life, and be happy. Also noted, was that Paige was in attendance. She was backstage, and was spotted in the audience wearing a lucha type mask sitting on the front row during the main event. Really Paige. All the while, still under contract with WWE. Although she was there as a guest of El Patron, I'm sure wwe officials weren't too happy about that appearance. It not a legal issue for a talent of one company to attend an event of a separate company, unless they were paid to come. Then it becomes a legal matter. But it does look like a black eye on her relationship with the company. Wouldn't be surprised if she was released very soon. Especially after being associated with Alberto after his post show rant.

BigLion10

JB I saw on Facebook where former Wynne and Panthers star was on impact wrestling last night at slammiversery

jbtiger73

Yeah. He teamed with Moose, vs. Eli Drake and Chris Adonis (Chris Masters). Did very well. Had been training for months leading up to it. You would've thought he had a few matches under his belt already

BigLion10

Yea I saw that a few months ago and had forgot about it

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas