• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Baseball

Started by OB11, January 28, 2016, 01:02:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

Looking forward to the college baseball season.  Use this thread for any ASU baseball chatter/news/scores.  I'm a "baseball guy" and love talking about the game. 

WPWells

I'll always talk some hardball. I don't know much about the Red Wolves but I'll talk the game

OB11

Baseball isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love it. 

ASU opens up the season with a weekend series at UAB February 19-21 then play at Ole Miss for a mid week match up on the 23rd.  Should be a good test to start the year. 

Side note to Fred Bird:  I saw where Arkansas is ranked 22nd in the USA today preseason poll.  Don't follow the Razorbacks all that much, but they should have a good year. 

WPWells

Hogs are always solid. If we find the bats this year could be special because we have the arms led by preseason All-American Zach Jackson

OB11

February 21, 2016, 07:40:32 pm #4 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:44:16 pm by OliverBoy11
ASU starts off the season 2-1 taking the series @ UAB. 

Play Ole Miss on Tuesday in Oxford.

Game has been postponed until Wednesday @ 5 due to weather.

OB11

ASU drops a tough one to Ole Miss 4-3.

Ole Miss scores in the bottom of the 9th on a sac fly to bring in the winning run. 

OB11

ASU is currently sitting at 5-13 in conference play and 14-21 overall.

Not a great season so far for the Red Wolves.  Ranked 10th out of 11 teams in the conference. 

I think Raffo is a great coach that really knows baseball, but how much longer does he get with the seasons the Red Wolves have had lately?  I know there has been a lot of turnover with his assistants the last few years as well.   

WPWells

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on April 18, 2016, 10:08:44 am
ASU is currently sitting at 5-13 in conference play and 14-21 overall.

Not a great season so far for the Red Wolves.  Ranked 10th out of 11 teams in the conference. 

I think Raffo is a great coach that really knows baseball, but how much longer does he get with the seasons the Red Wolves have had lately?  I know there has been a lot of turnover with his assistants the last few years as well.   

Not a lot of good baseball in the state this year

OB11

Quote from: Fred Bird on April 18, 2016, 11:02:38 am
Not a lot of good baseball in the state this year

Yeah the Hogs are struggling as well.  Their silver lining is that they at least have a .500 winning percentage overall at this point. 

Lions84

State and the Hogs are stinking it up this year.

OB11

Quote from: Lions84 on May 10, 2016, 10:59:32 am
State and the Hogs are stinking it up this year.

Hasn't been a banner year for college baseball in Arkansas this year.   

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on May 10, 2016, 01:03:04 pm
Hasn't been a banner year for college baseball in Arkansas this year.   

What do you think about Raffo Ollie? Not a huge fan of him, mostly because of his record. I don't know the full situation (I know a lot of money goes towards football) but it just seems like we always under achieve. They were all fired up this year on social media before the season started....not so much now.

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on May 12, 2016, 09:02:06 am
What do you think about Raffo Ollie? Not a huge fan of him, mostly because of his record. I don't know the full situation (I know a lot of money goes towards football) but it just seems like we always under achieve. They were all fired up this year on social media before the season started....not so much now.

I personally really like Raffo.  I think he's a quality guy. 

As far as coaching goes he has a great knowledge of the game.  He's probably forgotten more baseball than I will ever know.  It just hasn't translated to the field but I don't think that is entirely his fault.  We've seen that the Sun Belt can be a good baseball conference with Lafayette being ranked consistently the last few years.  I just don't think ASU's program gets the funding it needs to be competitive in the league.  The turnover rate with assistant coaches doesn't help out a lot either.   

WoodenBat

I see they are 3-0.  Anyone know if a AAA Coaching Card gets you in??

OB11

Quote from: WoodenBat on February 18, 2017, 09:16:34 pm
I see they are 3-0.  Anyone know if a AAA Coaching Card gets you in??

They stopped taking them at the football and basketball games a few years ago. But I did use mine to get into a baseball game after that.  So it may just depend on who is working the ticket booth that day. 

Made

Quote from: OB11 on February 18, 2017, 09:20:08 pm
They stopped taking them at the football and basketball games a few years ago. But I did use mine to get into a baseball game after that.  So it may just depend on who is working the ticket booth that day. 
wonder if its one of those deals you can call early and have a ticket waiting on you. I think that the pigs did that before they just stopped taking them.

OB11

Quote from: Made on February 20, 2017, 01:30:30 pm
wonder if its one of those deals you can call early and have a ticket waiting on you. I think that the pigs did that before they just stopped taking them.

You would think they'd want all the coaches in the games that they could get.  Not sure what caused them to stop taking passes.

OB11

ASU took a 13-0 beat down from Missouri State on Wednesday.  The start of the season is not looking good.  I think you can throw the series against NYIT out (no offense to them, but NYIT is pretty bad).  That would put them at 2-4 on the year. I am a big Raffo supporter but I don't know if he will be here next year.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on March 02, 2017, 10:53:24 am
ASU took a 13-0 beat down from Missouri State on Wednesday.  The start of the season is not looking good.  I think you can throw the series against NYIT out (no offense to them, but NYIT is pretty bad).  That would put them at 2-4 on the year. I am a big Raffo supporter but I don't know if he will be here next year.

Could have told you they didn't have the talent this year. Was at the MVS game and they blew a 8-3 lead. Don't think Ill be going to too many games this year

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on March 02, 2017, 01:36:33 pm
Could have told you they didn't have the talent this year. Was at the MVS game and they blew a 8-3 lead. Don't think Ill be going to too many games this year

Doesn't look good.

I really think ASU can make a move to a different conference within the next 5 years and baseball being successful would help that move.  Almost every other sport at the university has had some level of success lately except for baseball it seems.  Or women's tennis. (But let's be honest, how many people even know ASU has tennis?) Lol

Redwolves8526

Once again, they fail to have a very successful season. Raffo is still the coach it looks like. I wonder how much longer they'll give him?

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on August 15, 2017, 11:04:59 am
Once again, they fail to have a very successful season. Raffo is still the coach it looks like. I wonder how much longer they'll give him?

Same story, different year. It really surprises me that with the success football and basketball have had that Mohajir doesn't shake things up in the baseball program. To me, that is the logical next step if you want to try and move up to a "better" conference in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I think Raffo knows his stuff, but if football or basketball was having the woes that baseball is, I think there would definitely be a change made.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on August 15, 2017, 12:46:16 pm
Same story, different year. It really surprises me that with the success football and basketball have had that Mohajir doesn't shake things up in the baseball program. To me, that is the logical next step if you want to try and move up to a "better" conference in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I think Raffo knows his stuff, but if football or basketball was having the woes that baseball is, I think there would definitely be a change made.

No doubt

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas