• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to the neighborhood high school basketball team?

Started by bleudog, December 05, 2015, 12:08:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Head Lion

Come to Manila, may not win a state title. Our success is done through hard work all the way from first grade to Senior with OUR KIDS.

chickasaw fan

Not so fast Head Lion! I remember when u guys brought Brady Jones in. Don't use the excuse he is your nephew. He went to Rivercrest, EPC, and then manila.

Oldref

Quote from: Head Lion on December 05, 2015, 10:21:48 pm
Come to Manila, may not win a state title. Our success is done through hard work all the way from first grade to Senior with OUR KIDS.

Head Lion how can you keep saying this stuff when Manila has move ins just like most other schools. You said it yourself that kids are flocking to Manila and possibly your best player in Jr high moved from BIC to Manila this year after calling several other districts about moving to their district before he landed in Manila. It happens all over and is happening at Manila also. I know you and you are probably the most loyal to your school of about anyone I know but take the blinders off once in a while. No offense intended. :-)

NEA Razorback olfan

I believe most schools in this area have had impact players that moved in to help their sports program. To me the best recruitment tool is a successful program.

Oldref

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 06, 2015, 02:27:05 pm
I believe most schools in this area have had impact players that moved in to help their sports program. To me the best recruitment tool is a successful program.

100% agree........rarely see any move in to places that are not successful.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Oldref on December 06, 2015, 02:40:34 pm
Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 06, 2015, 02:27:05 pm

100% agree........rarely see any move in to places that are not successful.

True,  but it's hard to hear people from these places continually brag about their programs, when a lot of their players have came from other places.  Like there's something in the gene pool or their "tradition" that makes them so awesome.  I can think of a prominent girls program that wouldn't be so great if their best players hadn't moved in.  Doesn't keep the fans from bragging up a storm.  I guess the "tradition" is being a good gatherer of talent.

Bulldog92

I can't speak for all successful programs but SC lady's basketball team hasn't had a move in period since we moved home five years ago. The coach here does a great job developing what is here. Knowing basketball is one thing but getting it out of your kids is something totally different!! 

Grond

REGARDING TALENT TRANSFERS IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL

Yup, completely agree. Here in northeast Arkansas/southeast Missouri, we have seen talented basketball players spend each year of high school at a DIFFERENT high school.

When a player transfers, the coaches ALWAYS sign off; can't say I blame them. Even if the kid is talented, do you really want to deal with the ATTITUDE for another year?

A rather sad aspect of this "transfer basketball" situation is that some kids look like superstars in Junior High; but their advantage fades in high school when everyone else catches up to their talent/growth level. The parents can't accept it, and keep moving the child from school to school because it's "not working out".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas