• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The End of the Jacksonville Red Devil

Started by SantaHog, October 08, 2015, 10:14:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaHog

With the upcoming merger between Jacksonville and North Pulaski, they are selecting a new mascot for the new school district.  As a former Red Devil it is hard to accept that the Jacksonville Red Devil will be no more.  Are there any other former Red Devils out there?

JHS Red Devil Class of '81

WPWells

Red Devil and Rebel, both going to mascot heaven

rammer

Red Devil class of 1979. Back when Bill Reed was consistently leading us to state championships. I feel like I am losing my heritage.

Lions84

Maynard G Krebs

Fight it like heck.  NP is being dissolved, not Jacksonville.  Can't see why Jacksonville's identity and heritage should be compromised.

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 08, 2015, 03:15:44 pm
Fight it like heck.  NP is being dissolved, not Jacksonville.  Can't see why Jacksonville's identity and heritage should be compromised.

Heritage, like the southside rebel?

HorseFeathers

Augusta Red Devils are still around(May be nearing their end as well though...)

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: AirWarren on October 08, 2015, 03:50:45 pm

Heritage, like the southside rebel?

Not necessarily.  My high school no longer exists so I know how much it stinks to not have your old school and mascot legacy around any more.  Call it heritage, history, legacy or anything else.  Was not making a political statement .  But if I were a SS alum, I'd have fought against losing that mascot as well.

AirWarren

Lionheart88

I can see the desire not to completely subordinate one school to the other, which is what it would seem to be if North Pulaski's mascot and colors are dropped completely and Jacksonville's are unchanged, but it seems like they could come to some sort of compromise like NLR did with the Charging Wildcats.  Keep Red Devils, but use NP's Maroon and Gold?  Call them the Falcon Devils?  Red Falcons?  There's got to be a better answer than wiping the slate and completely starting over.

Maynard G Krebs

Camden and Camden Fairview were once fierce rivals in Ouachita County.  One of the biggest games every year was the Panthers/Cardinals game played at Coleman Field.   Alas, Camden's schools failed to meet standards and a consolidation of the schools was ordered.  I cannot remember all the particulars, but the result is the only school in the community is Camden Fairview Cardinals, no more Panthers, no more black and gold.   Stinks if your a Camden Panther alum

Lions84

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 09, 2015, 07:26:10 am
Camden and Camden Fairview were once fierce rivals in Ouachita County.  One of the biggest games every year was the Panthers/Cardinals game played at Coleman Field.   Alas, Camden's schools failed to meet standards and a consolidation of the schools was ordered.  I cannot remember all the particulars, but the result is the only school in the community is Camden Fairview Cardinals, no more Panthers, no more black and gold.   Stinks if your a Camden Panther alum

Some of these changes make me sick to my stomach.

wildcat_x-mgr

Devil Falcons sounds cool, kind of like Morrilton's Devil Dogs - speaking of, is there a story behind that one? Also, I assume it will still be called Jacksonville High, and not something like North Jacksonville?

Ice Water

October 10, 2015, 01:55:49 pm #14 Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:24:18 pm by Ice Water
How about Red Wings? Something new that pays homage to both current mascots.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on October 10, 2015, 01:31:17 pm
Devil Falcons sounds cool, kind of like Morrilton's Devil Dogs - speaking of, is there a story behind that one? Also, I assume it will still be called Jacksonville High, and not something like North Jacksonville?

Jaxcki high school would be unique haha

bulldogger15

Quote from: Ice Water on October 10, 2015, 01:55:49 pm
How about Red Wings? Something new that pays homage to both current mascots.
Really??? After the boot manufacturer?  The obvious new mascot would be the Red Falcons.

The Red Falcons are part of the 82nd Airborne Division based out of Ft Bragg, NC and they go back as far as WWI. Red Falcons sounds pretty darn mean also.

Knock of the Atlanta Falcons logo and go with a red/gold color combo and you're finished.

Legend

Just think about the money they are wasting choosing a new mascot and having to buy all new uniforms and gear for all the sports teams.

phdefense

Quote from: Legend on October 12, 2015, 07:38:07 am
Just think about the money they are wasting choosing a new mascot and having to buy all new uniforms and gear for all the sports teams.
That is a slippery slope considering that extra curriculars operate at a deficit.

Lions84

Yes we still have some Red Devils but they are dying out.   When the state forced Holly Grove to become part of Clarendon we added the color Black to our Red and White to pay respect to the Holly Grove Panther Tradition.  They won State in 1976 in Boys HS Basketball under Legendary HC Sonny Gordon. 

blue4hire

Quote from: Lions84 on October 13, 2015, 09:00:55 am
Yes we still have some Red Devils but they are dying out.   When the state forced Holly Grove to become part of Clarendon we added the color Black to our Red and White to pay respect to the Holly Grove Panther Tradition.  They won State in 1976 in Boys HS Basketball under Legendary HC Sonny Gordon.
It is important to honor the North Pulaski athletic tradition...... ;D ;D

Legend

What kind of Tradition were they honoring by adding Black to the school colors?

WPWells

Proud Buckaroo

WPWells

BigLion10

phdefense

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 13, 2015, 05:41:32 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 13, 2015, 03:20:29 pm
Losing

Come on, dude... You are really starting to make yourself look bad.
Especially considering that they listed a example of non-losing tradition. I guess he thinks 9 years is a long storied tradition.

BigLion10

Quote from: phdefense on October 13, 2015, 06:11:23 pm
Losing

Especially considering that they listed a example of non-losing tradition. I guess he thinks 9 years is a long storied tradition.
iI don't believe that was aimed at North Pulaski

Proud Buckaroo

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: BigLion10 on October 13, 2015, 06:14:08 pm
Quote from: phdefense on October 13, 2015, 06:11:23 pm
Losing

iI don't believe that was aimed at North Pulaski

Then you should probably read the post he responded to.

BigLion10

WPWells

Anyone who knows me will tell you that my sense of humor is really dry

Legend

HorseFeathers

There's dry sense of humor...and a junior high sense of humor....I'll let y'all decide...'

Legend

Both are like a mirage. You think its there then nope its still dry.

MomaLion

Quote from: Lions84 on October 13, 2015, 09:00:55 am
It wasn't officially added, we just started using it a bit more and some of the locals wigged out.  We just last year finally got the school legally changed to Clarendon-Holly Grove and got it on the buses. I think both schools heritage should be taken into consideration.

MomaLion

Quote from: Legend on October 13, 2015, 02:15:24 pm
Holly Grove was black and gold.

Lions84

Quote from: MomaLion on October 22, 2015, 02:10:17 am
Quote from: Legend on October 13, 2015, 02:15:24 pm
Holly Grove was black and gold.

True with a heavy dose of White.

Legend

I was going somewhere else with that but noone caught on.

Coach Alley

I suggest Jacksonville rename it's mascot the Mountaineers.

Maynard G Krebs

I still say there is no reason for Jacksonville to change their mascot. 

Lions84

We will see !
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 07, 2015, 08:32:00 am
I still say there is no reason for Jacksonville to change their mascot. 

Red Devil Alum

Lumberjackfan1978

If your a fan just keep on calling your team like you always have I still call auburn the Tigers and arkansas st the Indians

WPWells

Lumberjackfan1978

I thought they changed them to the war Eagles several years ago I guess my bad

MomaLion

I think they announced them as Jacksonville North Pulaski at the basketball tournament yesterday...when do they merge?

GuvHog

That's actually incorrect. Neither school is being dissolved. Both agreed to merge into 1 new school district.

I actually like the Red Falcon idea. As for the colors, they could of course use red to represent Jacksonville, Gold to represent North Pulaski, and white to represent both, then name it the East Pulaski School district.

Home of the East Pulaski Red Falcons

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: GuvHog on December 26, 2015, 04:58:36 pm

That's actually incorrect. Neither school is being dissolved. Both agreed to merge into 1 new school district.

I actually like the Red Falcon idea. As for the colors, they could of course use red to represent Jacksonville, Gold to represent North Pulaski, and white to represent both, then name it the East Pulaski School district.

Home of the East Pulaski Red Falcons

A buddy of mine in high school had a '63 Red Falcon.  maybe the school could get a restored, souped up one and have a trained falcon perched in the antenna.  But I still think no name change is warranted.

HorseFeathers

I think if they were going to change the name, then it should be a complete change...red falcon, would just result in everyone calling them the falcon anyeay

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas