• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Travel Chat

Started by beach bum, August 21, 2015, 09:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on August 06, 2016, 10:57:25 am
The picture becomes clearer now.  ;)

Depends on the picture ha!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 06, 2016, 07:16:31 pm
I had never heard of it, but just looked at some photos online and that looks amazing. It has a very similar look to Zion in Utah as far as the color of the landscape. Also, the map shows its pretty easy to get to off the interstate. Not too far south of I-40 and right off I-27 even closer. I am definitely going to go next time there because that is so unique to the rest of the area. This is the reason I made this topic. We all might become aware of things we had never heard of and it makes for great ideas for everyone on here.

I didn't get a chance to hike, but we watched the musical that's put on in the canyon, looked like a beautiful place to spend a weekend....about 15 minutes off the interstate to boot.

Redwolves8526

Just went to Cancun for the first time this summer. Incredible experience. Stayed at Moon Palace Resort, which was all inclusive. Great food, great service, and good rooms. Got to play golf 4 or 5 times on two beautiful golf courses on the resort, desgined by Jack Nicklaus. Also went on a big ziplining course, rode ATV's through their "jungle" course, and went scuba diving around a barrier reef. Highly recommend anyone going at least once. Had an absolute blast

beach bum

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on August 19, 2016, 09:04:27 am
Just went to Cancun for the first time this summer. Incredible experience. Stayed at Moon Palace Resort, which was all inclusive. Great food, great service, and good rooms. Got to play golf 4 or 5 times on two beautiful golf courses on the resort, desgined by Jack Nicklaus. Also went on a big ziplining course, rode ATV's through their "jungle" course, and went scuba diving around a barrier reef. Highly recommend anyone going at least once. Had an absolute blast

I am absolutely jealous. When I flew back from South America in early July we flew over Cancun and my mouth dropped staring at the water beneath me..... nothing but crystal clear water for hundreds of yards offshore. We could see the schools of fish from 30,000 feet the water was so clear. When I saw that sight I looked at my fiancé and said we will be going there one day. We are contemplating going in December when she is on Christmas Break. However, to do so means we will be roughing it. We plan on staying in a cheap hostel, and I have seen flights for dirt cheap there so I am going to make it a cheap trip or I will have to wait a while to go. After seeing that sight from the plane my mind wants to go there ASAP. I know why everyone wants to go there now.

Lions84

If you get the chance hit the GB Jr Museum in Dallas on the SMU Campus.  Just clean out your tools they are Airport like on knifes etc.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: beach bum on August 19, 2016, 05:37:40 pm
I am absolutely jealous. When I flew back from South America in early July we flew over Cancun and my mouth dropped staring at the water beneath me..... nothing but crystal clear water for hundreds of yards offshore. We could see the schools of fish from 30,000 feet the water was so clear. When I saw that sight I looked at my fiancé and said we will be going there one day. We are contemplating going in December when she is on Christmas Break. However, to do so means we will be roughing it. We plan on staying in a cheap hostel, and I have seen flights for dirt cheap there so I am going to make it a cheap trip or I will have to wait a while to go. After seeing that sight from the plane my mind wants to go there ASAP. I know why everyone wants to go there now.

The water was crystal clear, you're right about that. The visibility under water was unbelievable. Will definitely be going back in the near future.

Kazimierz

Just returned from my two week AT (also happened to be Phase III of OCS - ready to pin on that butter bar now) at JBLM in Washington state. It was my first time to the PAC NW. I was sold. Great weather, wonderful trees, and a great shot of Mt. Rainier.

I was born in the South and will die in the South. But if anyone is looking for a place to travel, Washington state was beautiful.

Breitontime

All of the Pacific Northwest is that way. Oregon, Washington, Northern Cali, etc. Gorgeous up there. Gives Appalachia a run for its money for sure.

Lumberjackfan1978

Just got back for a short three day visit at Pensacola.the beach was beautiful not to crowded just peaceful and as AW would say enjoyed those adult beverages

Lions84

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on November 07, 2016, 11:53:10 pm
Just got back for a short three day visit at Pensacola.the beach was beautiful not to crowded just peaceful and as AW would say enjoyed those adult beverages

FLA is great in the Fall for sure.

beach bum

Quote from: Lions84 on November 09, 2016, 02:39:17 pm
FLA is great in the Fall for sure.

I would even get in the water when I lived in Pensacola on warm days until the second week of December.... then I couldn't get in the water again until the last week of March. Most people its mid April to late October is all they can handle then the water is too cold for them there. I'll swim in the water until it dips below 67 or 68 degrees. The shock of when you first get in is something else though when its that cold.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on November 07, 2016, 11:53:10 pm

Man, Florida is NICE when there is now crowds!

beach bum

Going for some high altitude training this weekend over Christmas in Winter Park, Colorado..... Hope I make it out alive. Hills are terrible when you haven't adjusted to that high of altitude.

Brian G

Looks like I'll be taking my first trip to Washington DC next Summer.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on December 19, 2016, 09:44:13 pm
[/quote
Allow plenty of time to see it all, well, except for the politicians.

Brian G

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2016, 10:05:11 pm
Quote from: B.G. on December 19, 2016, 09:44:13 pm
Allow plenty of time to see it all, well, except for the politicians.

For once, we are building in plenty of free time.  We'll watch the Braves Tue, Wed and Thur but will be there for days before and after if all goes well.

WPWells

If you want to see the White House and/or Capitol, you'll want to start making reservations ASAP

Brian G

Thanks for that.  We're in the discussion stage.

sevenof400

We're headed to DC at spring break this year.  Too early for the cherry blossoms (darn it), but hopefully the crowds won't be large.  We'll cram in as many monuments and museums as we can...

OB11

I need some suggestions and info if anyone is willing to help me out.

I'm wanting to plan a vacation for my wife and I as a graduation present.  She graduates in May with her Master's degree and has mentioned several times that she wants to get away for a few days when she's done. 

She likes the beach and shopping and I am more into the history of a place.  We went to St. Augustine Florida on our honeymoon and it was a perfect mix of both.  Are there any other places that offer the same kind of atmosphere?

beach bum

February 08, 2017, 10:31:08 am #170 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:36:38 am by beach bum
Quote from: OB11 on February 08, 2017, 09:44:14 am
I need some suggestions and info if anyone is willing to help me out.

I'm wanting to plan a vacation for my wife and I as a graduation present.  She graduates in May with her Master's degree and has mentioned several times that she wants to get away for a few days when she's done. 

She likes the beach and shopping and I am more into the history of a place.  We went to St. Augustine Florida on our honeymoon and it was a perfect mix of both.  Are there any other places that offer the same kind of atmosphere?

You are in eastern AR right? Cause if you are this trip could be just a reasonable drive and might be just a little too far if in western Arkansas cause a place I found fascinating was when I went to Assateague Island National Seashore about 6 years ago which is where the shoreline of Maryland and Virginia meet so it's kind of a little hidden gem out there cause it is even a couple hours east of Washington D.C. and a little south across Chesapeake Bay. But that leads to D.C. which I imagine you may have already been and if you have probably are looking for something new if you have. I loved all the museum's and the historical sights in D.C. and without saying a woman can find any shopping in an metropolitan area like D.C. ... My fiance particularly loved Assateague Island NS because wild horses live there in the protected area and it was just such a rare sight to see. One concern is if you are looking for a May trip the water will still have quite a bit of chill at the beaches that far north unlike Florida. I went in August and it was perfect. The downside of going in August was my goodness was it hot walking around DC.That would be a negative if you went in May with the water temperature as well as probably 30 hours round trip of driving even from east AR. That traffic was brutal too in Washington DC

OB11

February 08, 2017, 10:39:38 am #171 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:41:11 am by OB11
Quote from: beach bum on February 08, 2017, 10:31:08 am
You are in eastern AR right? Cause if you are this trip could be just a reasonable drive and might be just a little too far if in western Arkansas cause a place I found fascinating was when I went to Assateague Island National Seashore about 6 years ago which is where the shoreline of Maryland and Virginia meet so it's kind of a little hidden gem out there cause it is even a couple hours east of Washington D.C. and a little south across Chesapeake Bay. But that leads to D.C. which I imagine you may have already been and if you have probably are looking for something new if you have. I loved all the museum's and the historical sights in D.C. and without saying a woman can find any shopping in an metropolitan area like D.C. ... My fiance particularly loved Assateague Island NS because wild horses live there in the protected area and it was just such a rare sight to see. One concern is if you are looking for a May trip the water will still have quite a bit of chill at the beaches that far north unlike Florida. I went in August and it was perfect. The downside of going in August was my goodness was it hot walking around DC.That would be a negative if you went in May with the water temperature as well as probably 30 hours round trip of driving even from east AR. That traffic was brutal too in Washington DC

Sounds like a super cool place.  I will definitely look into it.  We are in Northeast Arkansas (Jonesboro).  I have been to DC once but it was only for a day and I've wanted to go back ever since.  I had thought about doing a DC trip but it's not really her cup of tea. Lol

beach bum

Quote from: OB11 on February 08, 2017, 10:39:38 am
Sounds like a super cool place.  I will definitely look into it.  We are in Northeast Arkansas (Jonesboro).  I have been to DC o. e but it was only for a day and I've wanted to go back ever since.  I had thought about doing a DC trip but it's not really her cup of tea. Lol

Oh I definitely understand that. Being in east Arkansas will definitely give you more options being closer to the beaches than us NWA folks. Only good thing about NWA is I easily go to Colorado in one day(if I leave at 6am I am there by 4:30pm with the time change aid). I have always been jealous of the east and south AR people has you all can go to the Gulf/Florida so easily. Hope you two find a good trip.

OB11

Quote from: beach bum on February 08, 2017, 10:46:18 am
Oh I definitely understand that. Being in east Arkansas will definitely give you more options being closer to the beaches than us NWA folks. Only good thing about NWA is I easily go to Colorado in one day(if I leave at 6am I am there by 4:30pm with the time change aid). I have always been jealous of the east and south AR people has you all can go to the Gulf/Florida so easily. Hope you two find a good trip.

I appreciate it.  Ever been to Charleston, SC? It keeps popping up in any searches I do.  Looks like a pretty cool place but I've never been.

beach bum

Quote from: OB11 on February 08, 2017, 10:47:58 am
I appreciate it.  Ever been to Charleston, SC? It keeps popping up in any searches I do.  Looks like a pretty cool place but I've never been.

I have never been but that is funny you say that cause I have heard good things about there and Savannah, GA from any friends who have been and you are right would have some history aspects too. Both it and Charleston would be more quiet too. I always see those two on lists of "best places to live in the South"... so they have to be good to visit.

Lions84

We are looking at going to New Orleans sometime this year if we can work it out. 

Brian G

Going to DC for sure.

Already hacked before I go as we booked out the direct flight we wanted from NWA to DC and a month later we get a flight change notice to connecting flight on the next day.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Lions84 on February 08, 2017, 12:52:38 pm
We are looking at going to New Orleans sometime this year if we can work it out.

Question, what are some cool things to do in New Orleans besides the whole Bourbon street experience? Went for the New Orleans bowl last year (ASU) and had a blast but didn't get outside of Bourbon too often. Walked the French Quarter a couple times but definitely didn't get to see everything.

beach bum

Anyone on here ever been to Iceland? I am taking time off for 2 weeks in June and I know I am going somewhere in Europe. The other plan is Spain/Morocco to get the continent's of Europe and Africa knocked off the list in one trip. I plan on booking the tickets in the next 2 weeks and am leaning to Iceland.

Brian G

Sure you can get back in if you leave?

beach bum

February 16, 2017, 10:45:07 pm #180 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:47:18 pm by beach bum
Quote from: B.G. on February 16, 2017, 09:12:26 pm
Sure you can get back in if you leave?

I do get a pretty good tan come June usually so I might not. Iceland wouldn't be a bad place to be stranded.... Morocco not so much. I will literally go there for one day only just to say I stept on the African continent if that is the route I so choose to go. Now that would not be as exciting to be stranded there.

Lions84

The Bride having some more issues so we are staying home for Spring Break this year.  We might take a day trip but that all up in the air right now.

beach bum

So it is official.... Iceland here I come on May 28th. I am road tripping to Boston and flying from there. A buddy lives up there and I got an insanely cheap ticket out of Boston to Iceland. In early June I will be seeing 21 hours of sunlight a day in Iceland. That will mess with the perception of time for sure.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on February 24, 2017, 08:24:44 pm
So it is official.... Iceland here I come on May 28th. I am road tripping to Boston and flying from there. A buddy lives up there and I got an insanely cheap ticket out of Boston to Iceland. In early June I will be seeing 21 hours of sunlight a day in Iceland. That will mess with the perception of time for sure.

A couple pictures here or it didn't happen?

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 24, 2017, 08:30:11 pm
A couple pictures here or it didn't happen?

Haha, alright. I promise I will. I am pretty nervous about this trip cause last trip I did last summer I had someone with me at all times who spoke Spanish with me in Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay. I have never felt so lost in my life when we crossed the border in Brazil. We thought even though they speak Portuguese that plenty of people would know Spanish too in Brazil has a second language. We were so wrong there! I am nervous hoping a good amount of the young generation in Iceland knows English cause I listened to Icelandic today online and it just made me laugh it sounded so crazy!

Lumberjackfan1978

Just got back from Fort Pickens beach for a few days of rest and relaxation. I believe I could pack up and live there so peaceful

beach bum

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on February 25, 2017, 11:35:59 pm
Just got back from Fort Pickens beach for a few days of rest and relaxation. I believe I could pack up and live there so peaceful

I used to go fishing and swimming there so many times. That place is a gem and so nice. That would be a nice place to retire down there cause the cost of living is so reasonable. You can now own a home down there for cheaper than NW Arkansas. If I don't one day permanently move to the Western US one day then that Gulf area would be next in line. Such a good bargain for the beauty and still a very quiet life once you get north of Pensacola in some of those small towns.

Lumberjackfan1978

We will be leaving tomorrow night for spring break to the Grand Canyon South Rim for a couple of days.We plan on visiting Hoover darn along with a few other stops before heading to Vegas for three days

beach bum

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on March 15, 2017, 11:34:40 pm
We will be leaving tomorrow night for spring break to the Grand Canyon South Rim for a couple of days.We plan on visiting Hoover darn along with a few other stops before heading to Vegas for three days

A grear trip there and enjoy... I always love stopping in Flagstaff when in those parts.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on March 16, 2017, 08:50:55 am
A grear trip there and enjoy... I always love stopping in Flagstaff when in those parts.
Hey thanks we do plan on stopping in Flagstaff we've never been so we are looking forward to this trip

Lions84

Quote from: Lions84 on February 17, 2017, 08:43:05 am
The Bride having some more issues so we are staying home for Spring Break this year.  We might take a day trip but that all up in the air right now.

We got the House painted and stayed at home.

VHSCoach2

Anyone ever been to North Carolina, specifically the Wilmington area?  My wife wants to go there for our anniversary this year.

Lions84

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on February 09, 2017, 08:53:03 am
Question, what are some cool things to do in New Orleans besides the whole Bourbon street experience? Went for the New Orleans bowl last year (ASU) and had a blast but didn't get outside of Bourbon too often. Walked the French Quarter a couple times but definitely didn't get to see everything.

I love to go and visit the Musuems around Jackson Square plus the Civil War Museum but most of all hit up the Food Network and on the Diners Drive Ins and Dives he got a good list of non tourist eating places.

george7244

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on March 15, 2017, 11:34:40 pm
. Stay in Williams, Az and ride the Grand Canyon Railway train to the Grand Canyon. Its a really enjoyable but a little pricey trip. I guarantee you will not regret it one iota

beach bum

Anyone ever used Allegiant Air? I have booked the early summer vacation, but contemplating a super cheap one in early September. Allegiant Air is unheard of cheap.... So cheap I am reluctant to use it haha.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2017, 09:30:04 pm
Anyone ever used Allegiant Air? I have booked the early summer vacation, but contemplating a super cheap one in early September. Allegiant Air is unheard of cheap.... So cheap I am reluctant to use it haha.

Brian G

AMerican has changed my outgoing fight 3 times already.

Going XNA to Washington DC for a week in June.  Taking in the whole thing and 3 Braves vs Nationals games

beach bum

March 25, 2017, 02:32:17 pm #197 Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:42:58 pm by beach bum
Quote from: B.G. on March 25, 2017, 09:06:39 am
AMerican has changed my outgoing fight 3 times already.

Going XNA to Washington DC for a week in June.  Taking in the whole thing and 3 Braves vs Nationals games

Just read my emails and confirmed they did boot me 45 minutes back on my flight..... Guess I am in your boat too there.

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 25, 2017, 08:15:43 am

They might have a pilot from one of the Holiday Inn Express commercials if you know what I mean haha.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2017, 09:30:04 pm

Yeah, I've flown them a few times, just an airline, haha.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas