• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Natural Grass or Artificial Surface

Started by walkingguy72396, October 20, 2013, 03:04:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

walkingguy72396

I favor natural as I think the game was invented for it. 

Is the artificial turf being sold now just as safe or safer than a turf field?

Is the cost of keeping each surface playable about the same?

Which surface do you want your kids playing on?

sevenof400

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on October 20, 2013, 03:04:03 pm

Properly maintained, a real grass surface is far safer than a turf field.  Artificial turf tears up far too many ankles and knees.

The cost is much higher to install an artificial turf field but the proponents of an artificial turf field cite the use factor (24/7) as opposed to real grass (which has to have recovery time). 

Artificial turf proponents often fail to factor in proper maintenance costs plus the turf replacement costs which usually come about 10 years later (when someone else is in charge of the program). 

LJ06

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 20, 2013, 04:15:17 pm
Quote from: walkingguy72396 on October 20, 2013, 03:04:03 pm

Properly maintained, a real grass surface is far safer than a turf field.  Artificial turf tears up far too many ankles and knees.

The cost is much higher to install an artificial turf field but the proponents of an artificial turf field cite the use factor (24/7) as opposed to real grass (which has to have recovery time). 

Artificial turf proponents often fail to factor in proper maintenance costs plus the turf replacement costs which usually come about 10 years later (when someone else is in charge of the program).

I can atest to this.  Warren has played football on five different fields this season.  2 of which were on artifical turf, the other 3 being grass.  Warren has had no injuries on grass, but had 8 injuries in the first two weeks on turf and all but one were ankles.  The one being a torn ACL.

AirWarren

I was once a proponent of installed turf at warren. Not so much anymore.

The staff does a wonderful job at keeping the grass beautiful for football season. It always looks fantastic. Keep it real green!

Lions84

We have turf for the past 6 years down here in TX and the only thing I see is the kids have more rug burns.

AirWarren

Warren's natural grass is beautiful when season starts.

I see the argument to both sides but I would miss that smell and sight of our grass field.

Lions84

I miss Grass but when we had it our field looked ruff some years because we have Jr High , 2 JV teams and the Varsity  playing on the surface.  Our Astro Turf Field looks great year around and we don't have to water it.

Hoghead

The turf at Hope is outstanding ! Replacing the grass at Hammons Stadium was a no brainer after the rain season we had in 2010. Plus the field had a high crown on it. Rain made the sidelines one big muck. Then we had those death trap drains in the South End Zones !!!! I think Arkadelphia lost a player in one of those things back in 76 !

Lions84

Quote from: Hoghead on May 30, 2014, 12:26:03 pm
The turf at Hope is outstanding ! Replacing the grass at Hammons Stadium was a no brainer after the rain season we had in 2010. Plus the field had a high crown on it. Rain made the sidelines one big muck. Then we had those death trap drains in the South End Zones !!!! I think Arkadelphia lost a player in one of those things back in 76 !

LOL   Yes I love Grass cause it is cooler.  We beat some folks a few years back cause they were not used to the hotter astroturf field.  In Sept on a sunny day at 7 pm the field can me 105-115.

OLDSCHOOL82

I am a natural grass man myself.  When properly set up and maintained it works great.  We had a worm problem several years ago and we developed some low spots and have had trouble ever since.  We just had the entire playing surface recrowned with new dirt, a new hybrid turf grass sprigged (we just had common bermuda), and modern goal posts are to be installed.  A good maintained field lasts for years and years and cost a fraction of the cost of turf.  It is also better for boonevilles style of play!  You know... our air attack!

tmycjy

I'm both kinda person I like turf but I also like grass but I feel like grass is more trdishnal

Lions84

Turf saves water but it sure hot and tough on your skin.

WHITEchicken

Turf is very hot in the summer and cost more money up front. the upkeep cost of grass is more though. you have to water it, paint it, fertilize it, mow it, and God knows what else. turf you install it and go.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: WHITEchicken on November 19, 2015, 10:31:58 am
Turf is very hot in the summer and cost more money up front. the upkeep cost of grass is more though. you have to water it, paint it, fertilize it, mow it, and God knows what else. turf you install it and go.

Install it then start raising money for when it will need replaced in 8-12 years!  Both have there advantages and disadvantages.  I prefer natural grass.  To each his own.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas